Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Thinking about picking this up.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

So I bought a Wii U. It is my first Nintendo console since the NES so you might say I don't have that Nintendo license fatigue like some. Bring on the metroids and Zelda's and 3d Mario's! But unfortunately as it is a new console, I'm very limited on games. I've been playing Mario with my girlfriend so I don't wanna progress too far without her and I have almost finished zombiu. So I decided to maybe dip into some old wii games. Now I know the 2 big ones are the 2 Mario galaxy games, and I already played the 2nd one (parents won a Wii a few years ago) so I was curious as to if I should try this game? I already have the controllers needed to play it and haven't played a Zelda game since the N64 days.

Also if there are any other wii games worth buying, I'd love some suggestions. I might be crazy but is there a collection of the old metroid games on GameCube? I always wanted to play those.

I'm on my phone so any horrible spelling errors I truly apologize for!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, it's a pretty cool game. Imagine typical Zelda fare combined with an epic tone and Disney aesthetics just dominating.

Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Tan

There's a lot of small, annoying, bad things about Skyward Sword, but I thought it was great overall. Patrick's review is really good, read that if you're really unsure.

And yes, http://www.giantbomb.com/metroid-prime-trilogy/61-26559/ .

As for game suggestions, I thought Donkey Kong Country Returns was a fantastic game.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By apathylad

I didn't care for Skyward Sword, but people liked it. Not including first party stuff like Xenoblade and Super Mario Galaxy, I liked Trauma Team, No More Heroes, and Sakura Wars, but I don't know if that's up your alley.

Edit: Oh! And Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Metroid Prime collection for the wii does exist. Super Mario Galaxy is a must play.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Joeyoe31

I think it's the worst of the series. Might just be Zelda Cycle talkin' and I'll end up calling it a good Zelda game whenever the newer one comes out just like I did with Twilight Princess but it just felt like it was missing that Zelda charm. Try Twilight Princess if you're lookin' for a good time. Other Wii games I'd recommend getting are games like Xenoblade, Last Story and No More Heroes just to name a few.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Apathylad

I didn't care for Skyward Sword, but people liked it. Not including first party stuff like Xenoblade and Super Mario Galaxy, I liked Trauma Team, No More Heroes, and Sakura Wars, but I don't know if that's up your alley.

Edit: Oh! And Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

Ooooo forgot about silent hill. Unfortunately I already read the big twist but it seems like a really tense game like amnesia. Thanks for that suggestion!
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @ImmortalSaiyan I've played the 2nd one but is it still worth going to the original?

@Tan Never thought of Donkey Kong. Thanks for the suggestion. Also thanks for pointing out the Metroid Trilogy. It sounds like that is the one to pick up compared to other M
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By xyzygy

It's my favorite Zelda hands down. Go and play it and love it endlessly.

Metroid Trilogy - get it. Muramasa - get it. Other M is even really good if you're hankering for more Metroid after the Trilogy.

Also, The Last Story and Xenoblade are utterly phenomenal.

Also Also, Prime 2 is probably considered the worst of the three Prime games, but that's not saying much. They're all realllly good.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TruthTellah

@Sackmanjones: I liked Skyward Sword quite a bit. It's my favorite Zelda next to Link to the Past. It just has a great style to it, and I enjoy the world. The game is also pretty accessible, and I got a lot of time out of it. Next to Wii Sports, it's my favorite Wii game.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Vinny_Says

Apparently it's the origin story of this whole zelda thing. If you've played the other games you'll find out how all this hyrule, royal family, master sword nonsense came to be. I have a copy right here in my hand but I just can't force myself to play it, despite the awesome story that it seems to have....maybe one day....

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Sackmanjones said:

@ImmortalSaiyan I've played the 2nd one but is it still worth going to the original?

@Tan Never thought of Donkey Kong. Thanks for the suggestion. Also thanks for pointing out the Metroid Trilogy. It sounds like that is the one to pick up compared to other M

I'd say so. Having played 2 first that would probably be your preferred one. 2 has more variety and is more difficult. Have you ever played a Smash Brothers game because I would say to give Brawl a shot. Especially if you have people to play it with. Even if not there is a lot of do solo.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince

I love it and think it's one of the most gorgeous Zelda games ever created. Waggle on the Wii is still tiring though.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @xyzygy

Metroid Trilogy - get it. Muramasa - get it. Other M is even really good if you're hankering for more Metroid after the Trilogy.

Also Also, Prime 2 is probably considered the worst of the three Prime games, but that's not saying much. They're all realllly good.

I actually found other M on amazon for 7 bucks so that's a possibility. Unfortunately it seems like the metroid prime trilogy is quite hard to find these days and the lowest price on an amazon copy 77 bucks. Would it be worth it just to get the 3rd one? How much story am I really missing?
    nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By nightriff

Don't. Fucking terrible and frustrating

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @ImmortalSaiyan I have played the original smash bros on the N64. But ill definitely check that one out
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By captain_clayman

It's good, and it's a fuckton better than twilight princess IMO. I still recommend you pick up a used gamecube and play windwaker though.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By Levio

There's a thread for the best games for each console. Here's the Wii's.

You're welcome

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Skyward Sword has some of my favorite dungeons in the Zelda series.

out of all the Zelda games I've played, it's the only one in which I remember having to use all the dungeon items extensively throughout the whole quest. The level design is very creative, if not particularly challenging.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By landon

If you like games that hold your hand and will never let go, then go for it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xyzygy

@Sackmanjones said:

@xyzygy

I actually found other M on amazon for 7 bucks so that's a possibility. Unfortunately it seems like the metroid prime trilogy is quite hard to find these days and the lowest price on an amazon copy 77 bucks. Would it be worth it just to get the 3rd one? How much story am I really missing?

If you can get Other M for 7 bucks totally go for it. You will really have no idea what is going on in Prime 3, BUT, it's not like the stories are anything like Metal Gear or anything. They're all about the crazy fun shooting and metroidvania exploration. I personally like Prime 1 and 2 in the Trilogy best because the wii controls are my favorite FPS controls of all time. Very intuitive and fluid and it's not clunky or gimmicky. But even at 77 bucks I could totally recommend it. There is so much game in that trilogy.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sackmanjones

Hmm I will think about it. Thanks for the help. I got skyward ordered on amazon for 43 bucks which is surprisingly the cheapest I could find it. I imagine that Zelda and Mario games hold their price point far longer than most games.

DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DASH

I know you got a lot of mixed opinions about Skyward Sword, for what it's worth, I thinks it's better than twilight princess, and has some of the best dungeon design in the series. It does have a few problem, it can be a very long game which is great depending on your perspective, but you visit a few areas multiple times. That didn't bother me so much be I could understand why some one would have an issue with that. The sword controls also take some getting used to. I think they are fun, and totally integral to the kind of game they made, but they can be finicky at times. The prime games are excellent if you can find them. Xenoblade is also quite good, but also very long. But it's smartly designed, and very casual in some ways, so it's not something you can't pick up again after a while. Also Sin and Punishment isn't bad, fun and arcadey, does not require a huge mental investment to have fun. Can't say anything else is calling out to me.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By frankfartmouth

I thought Skyward was great. The controls work surprisingly well, it looks great, and brings in some story details that haven't really been touched on too much in previous entries. Biggest complaint I've heard is the lack of a proper overworld, but that didn't bother me too much. Overall, it's Zelda. Doesn't distinguish itself too much in the series, but is very well made, as you'd expect.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Dogma

To give a really short and simple answer - yeah, I think you should get it. It's a really good game and it really uses the controller in interesting ways. The beginning can be a bit slow but it also helps building the world and the place you live in so just go with it. It's worth it in the long run.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Hizang

I am going to say from what I played, Twilight princess is on par with Skyward Sword.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one of my least favorite Zelda games. I'm happy to have beat it but I will probably never play it again.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ExplodeMode

It's the first Zelda game I played but didn't beat, but I don't think it was Zelda fatigue -- more like Wii controls fatigue. It just stopped me from shutting my brain off and getting through some repetitive things, because I was always motioning/calibrating, so all of the most simple mistakes that I would usually forgive with a standard controller, felt soul-crushingly mechanical.

But that is kind of my experience with every motion heavy game.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29  Edited By JasonR86

@Sackmanjones:

I personally didn't like Skyward Sword because it was too slow, the gameplay was boring, and the swordplay wasn't as accurate as one might think considering the inclusion of Wii motion-plus. I think part of what makes that game good to some people is the fact that the game plays off of old conventions. Zelda love might be a requirement but I'm not certain. I do know that I was bored to tears by it. I personally prefer Twilight Princess more due to the nature of the world design and the more challenging gameplay.

I would suggest the Metroid Prime Collection as I feel that, next to the Galaxy games, these games are some of the best on the console. Muramasa: The Demon Blade is a pseudo-2D-Metroid game. I say pseudo because the game isn't that complex and the exploration aspects are a little gimped. But I still really enjoyed it and thought the stories were pretty cool. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a really, really good 2D platformer. I enjoyed DeBlob but it is pretty mindless and the motion controls could be frustrating. The same could be said of the two No More Heroes games.

On the Wii shop I really liked the two Lost Winds games and NyxQuest. I think Final Fantasy My Life as a King is really cool but amazingly mindless. I really like Bit.Trip Runner and Bit.Trip Beat as well but Runner is really hard and unforgiving and Beat is pretty short considering the price.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@Sackmanjones said:

Hmm I will think about it. Thanks for the help. I got skyward ordered on amazon for 43 bucks which is surprisingly the cheapest I could find it. I imagine that Zelda and Mario games hold their price point far longer than most games.

Nintendo rarely drops the price on their first party games, primarily because the sales numbers for those games can stay strong years after release.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By triple07

I really enjoyed Skyward Sword and would definitely recommend it. It has its problems but overall I thought it was a really good game. Also if you can't tell from my avatar I really enjoy Zelda games so take this as you will.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.