Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Dec 13, 2002

The first entry in the Zelda franchise for the GameCube, sporting a distinctive cel-shaded graphics style. It built upon the mechanics of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and its oceanic setting emphasized exploration.

Best Zelda Game?

Sedarati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Sedarati

I love this game big fan of the art style stuff like twilight princess defeats the point of nintendos mantra and the wiis for that matter.

Avatar image for twilit_igniter42
    Twilit_Igniter42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Twilit_Igniter42

It's artistic cel-shaded style is definitely something to be commended and really creates a rich and vibrant world.  I also really like how they make use of "blurring" not in your area of focus.

But are the graphics enough to vault it to the title of Best Zelda Game?  My opinion...no.  I feel its temples, which should be the meat of the game, are inferior to the temples in Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time.  Another thing is, with the cel-shaded graphics, I personally this game couldn't pull off anything ominous or forboding.

But, these are just my opinions, and this is the Wind Waker forum, so I shouldn't bag on it.  It IS a great game that I enjoy very very much!

PaperPlain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PaperPlain

This was my least favorite (aside from that CDi crap). It was a decent game to me. 6.0 to me. I can see why people love it though.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By DarkLegend

I like the Wind Waker best too because of the graphic.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By epic_pets

This is my most favorite

EtherealSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By EtherealSlayer

This was a good Zelda game, but not the best.  The graphical style and island-based nature do make it stand out in the series, however.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Bass

Hardly the best zelda game. It definitely has its upsides, but for the most part, it is average in the world of Zelda games. Its biggest attribute is the charm of the artstyle, but at the same time, LOZ can never be a truly serious franchise with these kinds of graphics. Link is just too damn cute in the game to take it completely serious.

timinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By timinator

I have to say either Wind Waker or A link to the past. Wind waker was the best 3D zelda in my opinion. A link to the past was 2D perfection.

svcheats1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By svcheats1

My favorite by far was Ocarian of Time. But I absolutely love the story of wind waker. And the level design.

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By tec3297

This was my least favorite of the Zelda games, but that is not to say it was a bad game.  The cel shading was distracting to me, but for the GameCube it seemed like the right choice.  If you go and see what they did with the original Dragonball Z: Budokai you will know what I mean.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kenzo287

It is imo the second best zelda game next to twilight princess tho i say oot is the best game of all time

Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Carlos

OoT is the best one, following  a link to the past oh yeah ;D

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Virago

DarkLegend, wind waker had crappy graphics compared to TP. 

Ocarina of Time is my favorite.
    Ysy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Ysy

Wind Waker's graphics and over-all ambiance definitely rank up there.  It was such a vivid, flowing world.  But the pacing of the game, the enormous amount of sailing, lack of dungeons, and tri-force hunting made me want to shoot myself. 

My opinions of the best will always be A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, respectively. 

Avatar image for missilewarriorz
    MissileWarriorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MissileWarriorz

this is a good zelda game but not the best 

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Relys

The twilght princess was a major dissipointment..

This would probably fall under the 3rd best for the 3d Zelda games. (The wind waker was awesome, long single player and tons of side quests that bonded you to the characters... Hells yes!)

PlayerGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PlayerGuy

This was a very strong Zelda game.  I generally think that Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time a better because of their art style.  I think the more realistic style suits the Zelda universe better. 

However, I will say the the first few hours of Wind Waker were excellent.  However, the sailing aspects were tedious and made for boring heart-piece searching

Falkien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By Falkien

This is the best game and we can't compare Twilight Princess to this... because it is a gen ahead in graphics and gameplay..

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DualReaver

Zelda: Oracina of Time, is hands down my most favourite ever.
    Next would be Zelda: A link to the past.

Avatar image for mario_galaxy_fan
    Mario_Galaxy_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Mario_Galaxy_Fan

Wind Waker is my second favourite after The Ocarina Of Time.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Black_Rose

One of the best Zelda games: Yes
    The Best Zelda game: No

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SSbabel

My fav is Majoras Mask followed by WIndwaker, TP and last OOT, thats just my opinion.

solidphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By solidphoenix

I personally think that Link to the Past was the best Zelda game; it just refined all of the mechanics and had such a great art style.
    Now I will admit that Wind Waker's cel-shaded direction has been the most artistically appealing direction a Zelda game has  done so far, but I think that Link to the Past was overall just a better package.

BladeBlur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By BladeBlur

Ocarina of Time. It had the biggest scope and awe factor and was just epic from start to finish. I'd probably put Link to the Past 2nd followed by Twilight Princess.

Avatar image for mario_galaxy_fan
    Mario_Galaxy_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By Mario_Galaxy_Fan

I like the graphics they are very nice but the sailing and difficult is the flaws with this game but overall it is great but not the best Zelda but certainly one of the best.

Sparklepuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By Sparklepuss

This is my favorite Legend of Zelda currently.

Reynolds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Reynolds

I want to play through this and OoT again back to back so I can decide, but I think this might be my favorite.  I really, really loved playing this game.

Robot_Vampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Robot_Vampire

If I had to choose between my two favourite Zelda games, it would either have to be this or Ocarina of Time. Ocarina of Time simply because of the feeling I got off playing it included with the enjoyment and this because i thought it was a massive game world and that there was plenty to do. The cel shaded art style made the game more presentable for what it was in my opinion.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SSbabel

I love the artstyle aswell, plus the story the gameplay mechanics, especially the exploration it felt as if it was endless thats what you want from a Zelda game.
    Best no sorry, thats goes to Majoras Mask.

MrWaypoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrWaypoint

Personally i think Twilight Princess resurrected the game. I thought windwaker completely killed zelda. It was bloody and beaten and then Twilight Princess came out and fanboys everywhere rejoiced! In celebration many Zelda fans actually asked out a woman.

haha i like to kid.

Twilight Princess all the way amazing game.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Dalai

I found the game to be great, but it was probably my least favorite of the 3D Zeldas.  It wasn't the art style or the ocean theme... the pace was choppy because of the sailing and the Triforce fetch quest was annoying.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By neoepoch

I absolutely adore Wind Waker, for me it is my second favorite after A Link to the Past. I think that it just has the right charm and atmosphere that really makes an adventure, but also has the characters that can bring emotion and excitement into the story. For me it seems like the characters in Wind Waker emote really well and we can see their body language and facial expressions well, which helps us empathize with many of the great characters. I really like cel-shading, and the graphics present a different end of the spectrum that allow for great detail in its own medium.

Of course there are gripes I have. I really like the sailing it gives a real...seaworthy feeling, but it does take quite some time to get from place to place. Also, the Triforce treasure hunting could have been less tedious and with more boss encounters. However, I feel that the dungeons that you do go through are really well made, even if they are a bit easy.

The score was really memorable. From the Great Sea's theme to the Bosses' Themes, each song really had character. I also liked how they had Medli and Makar go into dungeons with you and thought they could expand on that with other Zelda games. I also liked how you could pick up enemy weapons and use them. They were pretty unwieldly but they added to the s

I was really dissapointed with Twilight Princess. I mean the items and boss encounters were great, but the story and characters couldn't really grab me at all. The art looked great, but at the same time it definatly was catering to all the fanboys who wanted more "realism" (if you want more realism, go outside) in their game. What I liked about Wind Waker's art was that it was very distinctive, had a certain charm, and everything stood out.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Marzy

I really love Wind Waker too, although I love Ocarina of Time just as much. I couldn't pick out the two, so they're both my favourite Zelda games.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#34  Edited By godzilla_sushi

Ugh, I'm really not trying to be different for this pick, I promise. But my personal favorite is Link's Awakening. The color version. I think it's really fun and oddly differen't from the rest of the series. Of course, it's not going to be Ocarina or Wind Waker, but for what it is, it's incredible.

I played through a good portion of Twilight Princess on the Gamecube but it's still sitting on my shelf. I just can't get that motivation to continue. It's not a bad game, it's just another Zelda game. Wind Waker is great though. Monotonous, but great.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheFreeMan

This is my current favourite Zelda game. I loved every aspect of it, from the graphics, to the story, to the environment and dungeons

I don't think that there is a game with a more epic final boss fight.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By clubsandwich

I HATED Wind Waker, definitely my least favorite Zelda.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I would say it's definitely one of the best. It's so stupid that so many people never played it all because of the graphics... which were spectacular, by the way. I pretty much only have 3 problems with Wind Waker and otherwise think it's phenomenal.
    1. My biggest gripe with Wind Waker is that enemies simply didn't do enough damage, which made it really hard to die in the game. Some enemies will mess you up pretty good, but it hardly depletes your health at all, which is disappointing.
    2. Then another problem is that there's really not enough good stuff to buy. In Zelda, you're encouraged to collect all these rupees, but then what happens? Your pockets are full and you can't carry anymore. Eventually you'll upgrade to the biggest wallet but still won't have much stuff to buy and will spend most of the game with full pockets and nothing to really spend it on. So at that point, collecting rupees is pointless. I actually think they made this problem even worse in Twilight Princess.
    3. Dude, the game really could have used a couple more temples. From what I've heard, they were originally planning on doing 2 more but just didn't get around to it. Maybe that's too much to ask, but I still feel it could have used at least one. It only had 4 main temples, then you had the Tower of the Gods and the Forsaken Fortress... then if you count the final dungeon, which is pretty lengthy, that bumps it up to 7. That may seem like a lot, but considering how big the game world is, I think it could have ditched a couple of the small islands and added another big dungeon or two.
     Also, I'd still say Ocarina of Time is better, but I much prefer Wind Waker over Twilight Princess. Really, I think Twilight Princess is pretty overrated and has some big issues Nintendo failed to address. At times I feel I'm too harsh on Twilight Princess... it truly was quite awesome for the most part, but some aspects of it disappointed me quite a bit.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Ocarina is my favorite. Wind Waker is a close second.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By atejas

Majora's Mask is my favourite

Followed by this
    Followed by OoT
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Willy105

The Wind Waker!

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Anyone who tries to say bad things about Wind Waker's graphics is too close minded.  For the last fourteen years everybody's been trying to make games look 100% realistic.  Wind Waker tried to make the graphics fit the atmosphere the game was going for.  It was a fun light hearted adventure that didn't need blood or dark emo link to try to seem cool.  If you notice when games try to look realistic things always stand out when something video gamey happens or end up looking like shit a year or two later.  Wind Waker still looks great and the final battle is the best in the series.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bullet_Jr
    atejas said:
    "Majora's Mask is my favourite
    Followed by this
    Followed by OoT
    "
    Same here. This was a great game but Majora's Mask had much more character.
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Windwaker is my favorite 3D Zelda game, I personally hated Twilight Princess.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past, Oracle of Time/Ages, This.
    They're all triple A though.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember back before Wind Waker came out and I argued fanatically on the merits of Wind Waker's graphics. I was a Stupid Fucking Kid back then, and those "kiddie graphics" types frustrated me to no end. I remember one person asserting that truth was different for everyone. The idea seemed extremely stupid to me, but everyone else agreed. Now that I think back on it, it's funny, because I realize that I was arguing with a bunch of Stupider Fucking Kids.

Anyway, yeah, Wind Waker is my favorite. Don't have a Wii, though, so I've never played TP.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By mracoon

I loved the art style but I think OoT is a better game.

Southgrove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Southgrove

Phantom Hourglass was pretty awesome. =) Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess too. Oh, I can't tell which one is 'best'. They're all fantastic. =)

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Wolverine
    @Sedarati: This was my personal favorite game of the Zelda series but I'm not sure if it is neccessarly the best Zelda game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.