Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

For Zelda Fans Only

lil_cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By lil_cheeks

Please, if you do not like the Legend of Zelda franchise then please don't waste our time with your dumb comments.   

Would anyone ever purchase a game that was a complete re-make but with upgraded graphics?  I am not talking about cleaning up the graphics like when Xbox Live Arcade titles come out but i mean totally re-creating the same game but with completely re-done graphics.  Here is my example: 

If someone were to take the original Legend of Zelda and basically create the same game but use Twilight Princess graphics, i would go NUTZ!!!  First off, the Legend of Zelda is a classic in my mind, and i would love to play it again with completely redone 3D graphics.  I think it would be really cool to see the same game and be able to do the same tricks (bombing locations, burning bushes etc.) but in a 3D world.  

For the Zelda fans, would you want this?  Would you pay for this?  I sure as heck would, i would pay full price ($49.99) for a completely remade Zelda game with up-to-date graphics. 

Again, if you are not a fan of the franchise, don't bother saying how much you hate it or how dumb it is, we don't care.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ch13696

I would like that a lot. Though, not with the very first Zelda. There's no story to it. I would do it with, of course, Ocarina of Time. Either that or Majora's Mask. 

BraveFart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BraveFart

i would like to play A Link To The Past with updated graphics and maybe some new items and locations.

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
    griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

A Link to The Past with TP graphics would be amazing.

BUT I would rather have Nintendo move forward with the franchise.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Brendan

Nah, I think nostalgic Zelda fans are whats holding the series back, and it's what held Twilight Princess back.  Let's do something new, Zelda.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

I would like to see all of the 3D games remade with either Minish Cap or ALttP graphics.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm not sure how the 2D zelda's will work in a 3D environment. They would need some significant changes - to the point where it wouldn't really be the same game. I'm not dismissing it completely, but in upgrading it to full 3D graphics - it wouldn't be easy to keep the spark that made those games so special.

What I would really like to see is a "New legend of zelda" - a game in the same vein as New Super Mario Bros. - a completely new 2D classic zelda experience on the wii (or the wii's successor).

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think taking the original Zelda and putting it in 3d would make it not very fun at all... The problem is there really aren't  any puzzles in the original game, it's mostly exploration and combat. Combat not being 3d Zelda's strong suit, I don't think it would work out so great. Link to the Past or maybe one Link's Awakening would be much better candidates for that sort of remake.

Ganime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ganime

I definitely would buy it, considering I never really got to play that Zelda Game.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By jacksukeru

Well I did like Demon's Souls so, maybe.

BraveFart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BraveFart

A more mature Zelda game ( 18+ ) would be cool :D

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

I don't know if a game that gives you almost zero information about what you are supposed to be doing would do so well.  I don't think I'd want to deal with it.  Especially since I think it's one of the weaker Zelda games.
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Drebin_893

If they were going to remake a game it should be Ocarina of Time, as it is already 3D, meaning less changes on a mechanical level. I also would want to see better graphics than Twilight Princess, some really, really amazing graphics.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By nukesniper

Remaking the orginal NES Zelda with new graphics seems weird because they are so different. I refuse to see how that is possible, also that game does not take nearly as long to beat.  I wouldn't pay full price for something like that. I would maybe buy it if it came with 3 or so original zelda games, remade.

I would like to see Ocarina of Time get that treatment, in a while though, when the Nintendo system has some HDTV qualities. I wouldn't want them to do it on the Wii and then release a system with HD, then do it again. Stupid waste of time then.

JoGribbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JoGribbs

I'd much rather they carry on making new games. As great as, Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time all were, they came out years ago. It's time to move on.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Black_Rose

Definitely, not the original though, but A link to the Past. 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @ch13696 said:
    " I would like that a lot. Though, not with the very first Zelda. There's no story to it. I would do it with, of course, Ocarina of Time. Either that or Majora's Mask.  "
    Same here. I would be interested in the others but these two would be awesome.
    Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By Astras
    @BraveFart: A link to the past is perfect as it is, cheers! 
    I dont think going 3d always helps games to be honest, 2d topdown is fine and going 3d would destroy lots of the game mechanics. A link to the past is THE pinnicle top down single player RPG... cant it stay that way?
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Shadow

There have been enough remakes of that game.  Giving it a different name and slightly different theme doesn't change the fact you're making the same game over and over again.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By keyhunter

Yeah word. Every zelda has been a remake of the original zelda. @Astras:  And yo dogg. Zelda aint no RPG, it's a block puzzle game.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I probably would myself for sure. If they remade Ocarina of Time or Majoras Mask. 

It would be a failure if they remade A Link to the Past in my opinion.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Evilsbane
    @MattyFTM said:

" What I would really like to see is a "New legend of zelda" - a game in the same vein as New Super Mario Bros. - a completely new 2D classic zelda experience on the wii (or the wii's successor). "

This, its genius and I would totally buy it. OOOHH man I am not even a huge Zelda fan and that makes me excited, if it looked and played a bit like A Link to the Past I would just go ape shit.

Edit: just FYI I am totally in the mood for a "new" Zelda game but this as a side project would be insane.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By TheHT

No thanks. Make a new one.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By Astras
    @keyhunter: go and explain your game definition of their game to the:

• Ocarina 
    • Windwaker
    • Twilight princess

Development team, i'm sure they will be able to provide you with a more accurate description of their game. Or you could just go and play the games?
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JJOR64

I think I would since I've never beat the original Zelda before (sham on me).  If they decided to use the Wind Waker graphics engine, that would be even sexier.   :P

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Willy105
    @Shadow said:
    " There have been enough remakes of that game.  Giving it a different name and slightly different theme doesn't change the fact you're making the same game over and over again. "
    The remake of Zelda 1 never came out of Japan, it's high time we got one in English.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ryax
    @BraveFart said:

" i would like to play A Link To The Past with updated graphics and maybe some new items and locations. "

id love link to the past redone but, i want it to look clean. twilight princess graphics seemed to dark and dirty. i like the happy setting of link ot the pasy
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Ugh. This is the most retarded idea that people just can't ever seem to let go. You remake an old Zelda game with modern graphics and the world's going to look tiny and unimpressive. The original Zelda relied very heavily on it's use of moving between screens, so a lot of it's puzzles and mazes would be altered or altogether lost if they remade it with next-gen graphics. You look at Ocarina of Time, which is considered to be the greatest game of all time. Now imagine if they remade the exact world with really nice graphics. By comparison to today's games, it's going to seem very limited in scope and outdated. Hyrule Field was impressive at the time, but by today's standards, it certainly wouldn't be, no matter how fancy you made it look. Plus you can't make any huge changes to any of the scenery anyway without creating problems. Dude, it's always Zelda and Final Fantasy fanboys that want this to happen to their games. You don't really see that with any other franchises... or do you?

BraveFart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BraveFart
    @Astras said:
    " @BraveFart: A link to the past is perfect as it is, cheers!  I dont think going 3d always helps games to be honest, 2d topdown is fine and going 3d would destroy lots of the game mechanics. A link to the past is THE pinnicle top down single player RPG... cant it stay that way? "

maybe your right. i don't think anyone would succeed in making a perfect 2d to 3d transition with Link to the past.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iam3green

yes, i would like to play a remade zelda game. i would want the graphics to be more than twilight princess. i do think they could do that.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By Tireyo

Very interesting concept, but graphics wouldn't do anything that is new to the actual gameplay. I wouldn't mind seeing 2d games turn into 3d games, but for the older games I prefer it to be kept into a nostalgic feel. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see it happen, but there isn't really any use for improving the graphics. Most of the people that would want to play older games with the updated graphics would be gamers. I don't think that it would attract newcomers. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile was a really good Wii-make, but it is the same game that is on Playstation, although there is a minor tweak.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By napalm

Not to sound dumb, but it would have made more sense to post this in the Zelda franchise board rather than General Discussion, considering it's why it is there, don'tcha think?

Just a thought.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.