Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

Keeping up with Zelda

skurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By skurk

Hello! How nice of you to read this.
    I've been playing games for 25 years now, starting at age 5 with the wonderfully non-portable portable C-64, the SX-64: 

Is that a 5-INCH COLOUR SCREEN, you ask? Yes, I tell you. 
    Is that a BUILT IN DISK-DRIVE? you follow up with. And I slyly answer: "oh yeah". 
    I played some Commando, some Cobra, some He-Man, a lot of Boulder Dash and a bit of Monty Mole. And about a million other games.
    I also attempted to write my own games on it, copying the code from a library book, and failed miserably - probably because of a misplaced semicolon. I sometimes wonder if, had I placed that semicolon correctly, I would have been part of the teams creating some of the great games I play today.
    The SX-64 is long gone, sadly. My dad sold it long after it became irrelevant, presumably to buy cigarettes or something. 
    I didn't care at that time of course, I had my Amiga 500, my Sega Master System II and my original Gameboy. 
    I think Link's Awakening was the first game I really finished, at least the first game with a proper story. It was so amazing to me, a 13-year-old kid on an epic journey while sitting in my mom's couch staring at a little green screen. I had to call the Danish Nintendo Hotline to get past a room where I had to kill 3 enemies in a particular order. That one stumped me.
    And then I never finished another Zelda game. 
    I never had a NES or a SNES, they were too expensive. There were too many other distractions for me. 
    But as I got older I looked back on 13-year-old me playing that first Zelda game, and the sense of discovery and wonder hadn't been surpassed since then. 
    A couple of years ago I got a Nintendo DS, but it broke before I could finish both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks and I never bought a new one.
    I desperately needed to scratch that Zelda itch again, so I bought a really cheap used Wii, and am currently playing through all that I can get my hands on: I'm in the middle of both A Link To The Past and Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker is only an internet order of a GC memory card away. 
    I haven't felt younger in 17 years.

skurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By skurk

Hello! How nice of you to read this.
    I've been playing games for 25 years now, starting at age 5 with the wonderfully non-portable portable C-64, the SX-64: 

Is that a 5-INCH COLOUR SCREEN, you ask? Yes, I tell you. 
    Is that a BUILT IN DISK-DRIVE? you follow up with. And I slyly answer: "oh yeah". 
    I played some Commando, some Cobra, some He-Man, a lot of Boulder Dash and a bit of Monty Mole. And about a million other games.
    I also attempted to write my own games on it, copying the code from a library book, and failed miserably - probably because of a misplaced semicolon. I sometimes wonder if, had I placed that semicolon correctly, I would have been part of the teams creating some of the great games I play today.
    The SX-64 is long gone, sadly. My dad sold it long after it became irrelevant, presumably to buy cigarettes or something. 
    I didn't care at that time of course, I had my Amiga 500, my Sega Master System II and my original Gameboy. 
    I think Link's Awakening was the first game I really finished, at least the first game with a proper story. It was so amazing to me, a 13-year-old kid on an epic journey while sitting in my mom's couch staring at a little green screen. I had to call the Danish Nintendo Hotline to get past a room where I had to kill 3 enemies in a particular order. That one stumped me.
    And then I never finished another Zelda game. 
    I never had a NES or a SNES, they were too expensive. There were too many other distractions for me. 
    But as I got older I looked back on 13-year-old me playing that first Zelda game, and the sense of discovery and wonder hadn't been surpassed since then. 
    A couple of years ago I got a Nintendo DS, but it broke before I could finish both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks and I never bought a new one.
    I desperately needed to scratch that Zelda itch again, so I bought a really cheap used Wii, and am currently playing through all that I can get my hands on: I'm in the middle of both A Link To The Past and Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker is only an internet order of a GC memory card away. 
    I haven't felt younger in 17 years.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By imsh_pl

Yo dawg, I heard Wind Waker is the shit.

skurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By skurk

It sure feels like the shit. I played for about an hour (without saving, I don't have a memory card yet) and I really love the vibe and the colours.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By jacksukeru

You seem to have a tragically romantic relationship with the Zelda series, I really hope you get to finish another one of them one of these days.

Also if you, for some reason, after you've finished those games are left wanting even more, there's always this.

If you can find it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.