Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

Next Zelda

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, that's pretty much all we know of it. The same image shown during the Iwata Q&A session...

Sketchy details like pointing out the lack of sword in the image, Link may be the most grown up yet.

It may or may not use motion plus, that actually depends on how well the accessory sells for now...

And that they strive to attract both veterans and newcomers to the franchise. That's about it, I think...
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Cerza

Nice picture. It strikes me as TP all over again though, because the ghostly chick reminds me Midna for some reason. I dunno about the rest of the Zelda community, but I don't want another TP. I want something new and different and I'm not talking about Links ChooChoo Adventure here. I'm just tired of the same old recycled formula we have had since A Link to The Past back in the early 90's. Get the red, green, and blue gems to get the Master Sword and make something terrible happen and then get the next round of collectables to fight Gannon and save the kingdom. It's gotten old...

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Hairydutchman

The chick is the master sword.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yes, just like people speculated for Midna the first time they saw her... Lol.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

I, for one, just don't want a future Zelda. I know a lot of people think that it would be a fresh take on the franchise right now, but I'd have to disagree. So many games right now are sci-fi oriented, and I have little doubt that Zelda would get lost in the flood. Sure, it would still have the name recognition, but it'd end up looking like Phantasy Star or the recent Final Fantasies. And if they went with a more action-oriented edge, then what's the chances it'll end up as some psuedo-marine's in space "epic?"

I think there's still plenty left to explore in a "fantasy" setting, particularly in terms of gameplay and storyline. Let's face it; it wouldn't take that much to shake up Zelda. The series has been eerily similar ever since Link to the Past. A deeper, more engrossing storyline (perhaps that helps make sense and/or destorys the notion of a timeline?) with new gaming mechanics and new progression would be incredible. Just changing the background setting doesn't a new experience make; there's always tropes and cliches a game (or any media) can fall into, regardless of genre.

I know I'm on a soapbox now; I'll get off. The picture is interesting, I suppose. Although it's awfully reminicesnt of Twilight Princess. I'm a little upset, also, that Miyamoto told us last year (and maybe the year before?) that the game was already under way, and it turns out it's still in R&D. I could be wrong, but that's definitely where it seems to be.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

All he said was they're hard at work. I think for a Zelda this is the most important step really, deciding exactly what it's going to be. They certainly have the skill to make the actual content afterwards, it's the concept that needs to be absolutely spot on. Anyway, not showing it doesn't mean all they have is this picture. It's simply all they have to actually show. Hell, he's not even sure if they'll use motion plus or not so what would they do, show some gameplay and then it ends up being completely different based on that? He said they'll show it next year, I think that means they certainly have a lot of it done already, they wouldn't show a very early version (no, that tech demo was just that, a tech demo, it was never going to be Wind Waker). I also don't see how people can say "omg it's just Twilight Princess 2" from a single image. That's completely ridiculous. It's Link and someone else and that's all there is to it. No story references, no gameplay hints other than the lack of a sword, nothing at all.

CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
    @Al3xand3r: Oh, I'm certainly not freaking out and saying it's TP2. Just pointing out that art reminds me of the early artwork for that game, rather than being something of a different strand. I actually really enjoyed TP and have no qualms with it other than feeling it was a bit on the easy side (and I guess a little shorter than I wanted, but hey they hyped it as being really, really long).

And I'm sure they've made progress on the game, but it does slightly worry me that they don't know if they're implementing motion plus or not. I feel like the game should be constructed well around whatever motion controls end up being used, so as to avoid the numerous "tacked-on" complaints last time around.

And yeah, Link has no sword; obviously, this time out Link will be packing the heat. Duuuuuuuuuuuuh. (if that actually happened, the gaming communities heads might collectively explode: some in excitement but probably most out of pain).
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Short? It took me about 20 hours to complete it. A pretty good feat for such an easy title where I didn't even die or retry any section more than once... I didn't speedrun it or something but I didn't sit around doing side activities like collecting bugs and such either. It was long.

Motion controls are how you interface with the game. It's still sword fighting for example, whether you do that with actual sword fighting mechanics or with old school button taps doesn't change it and doesn't make one or the other feel tacked on if it's developer properly. Deciding to use or not use it based on motion plus sales doesn't mean they would take a week to adjust it to either scheme. I certainly hope they'll use it heavily, if only for the added immersion alone, though I'm certain it's also much more fun based on articles like this.

Heh, I doubt he'll be packing heat, it could be any number of new concepts. Some have speculated Link now only has "courage" and "wisdom" and "power" are represented by the girl who is able to transform into various weapons and tools. That would be a pretty cool concept. Swing around like a sword and that's what you get. Aim at a distant enemy and fire, and you get the equivalent of the bow. Lock on different targets and you get the boomerang. Etc. Without her, he's useless, with her, he's basically all the triforce elements in one. It's just a theory mind you, I still think it's ridiculous to be "certain" she's the master sword. But that same concept could apply in a different manner, even if she's not the cause.

Heck, maybe we'll have a master mace/ballonchain/whip/whatever this time and that's why it's not in the picture. Not to show the lack of a melee weapon, but to show the lack of an actual sword, being replaced with something that is still a secret. I believe that at one point he had said that Wii Sports Resort activities like the sword fighting and the archery are a good example of how motion plus could work in Zelda so he's clearly fond of the added fun factor with manually swinging a melee weapon around...

CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

I'd be all for that, a little change up in the main weapon. Although, I'd certainly like to see some variation in the secondary weapons as well. The use of the female companion as a weapon/tool could be particularly interesting as well. Following that logic, she could potentially infuse some magic attacks into the series which have been absent since OoT, right? I could be off in memory, but what used magic in Majora's Mask and Wind Waker weren't exactly "magical attacks" were they (transformed abilities aside as the magic meter always seemed a way of limiting their use rather than making them seem magic). Of course this is pretty much semantics, I guess. Oh well.

And, yeah, I guess 20 hours is long by today's standards, but it was originaly touted to be somewhere around 60 if I remember correctly. It's no Fallout 3, sure, but I was hoping the world would've been a little more fleshed out, allowing greater sidequests, explorations, etc. I think that's one thing that's bothered me with the series of late: it's either been dungeons or side quests. You have your OoT and TP where there is a long fetch quest, but that is essentially the only side quest outside of the traditional collectibles, and then there's Majora's Mask and Wind Waker where there are less dungeons but certainly much more to seek out in the world and interact with. I'll admit, though, that Wind Waker didn't quite pull this off to the degree MM did, and perhaps it could be argued that it was a hybrid of the two mentalities, even if I wouldn't really agree with that.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Willy105

It's obvious the girl is the Master Sword, but how will it work now? Will it be like Ico, where you have two people working together?

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By ArcBorealis

To me, the colors look like Ocarina of Time's, so using the TP Link gives me hope that the next game has just a bit more color. Also, I'm intrigued about the girl being his sword not just from a story but gameplay standpoint. She might not be just the manifestation of the sword, maybe she could also become any other of Link's weapons. Kind of a stretch, yeah, but atleast it would again make sense as to how Link carries so damn much stuff on him (like how Midna turned his stuff into twilight matter when he wasn't using them).

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Hairydutchman said:
    " The chick is the master sword. "
    This
    Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Mushir

If that chick is a weapon or an item maybe it plays a big part in the game such as the ocarina in OOT.

Also Link appears to be right handed in this game as well.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Systech

I am sad to see that they aren't using the beautiful Wind Waker art design.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By Willy105

Have we started the page for this game yet?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    @Hairydutchman said:
    " The chick is the master sword. "
    Dingdingding.

Maybe it'll be like that crazy talking sword fro Baldur's Gate 2.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

Master Sword gem tends to be yellow.

JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JebranRush

So awesome! I really didn't expect any Zelda news at E3. Even one picture is a massive surprise for me.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Also note that: It's Adult Link from Ocarina of Time! NOT Twilight Princess! YAY!

Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Puppy

It's not the Master Sword. It's a statue - one that I'm betting might yield the location of Princess Zelda, the Triforce, the Ocarina of Time, the Master Sword, any combination of the aforementioned, or all of the above.

Also, if I had to compare the girl to any character, I would say she looks more like Saria than anyone else. The statue is too short to actually represent Zelda, but the height fits for a Kokiri....

...or a child. Maybe all of Nintendo's pandering to little girls has actually been a PR build up to handle the clusterfuck of criticism ensuing their subtle allusions to pedophilia in the upcoming game. Or not.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheFreeMan

I'd be fine with it if they kept the same style of gameplay as TP and the other games, but damn it, it would blow my mind if they just make a story that really mattered to all games before and after in the franchise.

Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Puppy
    @TheFreeMan said:
    " I'd be fine with it if they kept the same style of gameplay as TP and the other games, but damn it, it would blow my mind if they just make a story that really mattered to all games before and after in the franchise. "

All you will get is a headache if you try to approach the franchise as a chronological detailing of Link's travels. The basis of Link's journeys is time; regardless of whether any individual game involves time travel/manipulation, in multiple iterations he has bent time. When time is manipulated, multiple time lines branch outward based on what happened/would have happened/won't happen anymore/will now happen:

No Caption Provided

So the only basic connection you can really make is:

Ocarina of Time - Wind Waker - Phantom Hourglass. And that's not taking into account that his actions in Majora's Mask may have interrupted the course of history between those three games. All we really know is that at the end of OoT, Link left Hyrule. Wind Waker begins with an introduction explaining that when Link left Hyrule, he never came back. Only one time line will have history progress from Ocarina of Time to the Wind Waker, and this may not include history post-Majora's Mask and other iterations that have had Link bend time -- these consequently creating extending branches that do not necessarily lead to all of the subsequent games in the franchise.

If Miyamoto feels like explaining how Link's history progresses, he would probably have to break the "fourth wall of gaming" to do so. This is the case because all of those different Legend of Zelda games are not all in the same history.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Black_Rose
    @Cerza said:
    " Nice picture. It strikes me as TP all over again though, because the ghostly chick reminds me Midna for some reason. I dunno about the rest of the Zelda community, but I don't want another TP. I want something new and different and I'm not talking about Links ChooChoo Adventure here. I'm just tired of the same old recycled formula we have had since A Link to The Past back in the early 90's. Get the red, green, and blue gems to get the Master Sword and make something terrible happen and then get the next round of collectables to fight Gannon and save the kingdom. It's gotten old... "
    I also want something different...but set in the same TP universe because I loved it so much.
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By ArcBorealis
    @Al3xand3r said:
    "Master Sword gem tends to be yellow."

The Master Sword's gem in Wind Waker was blue to symbolize it had not reached it's full power, so maybe this girl might be the case. But either way, the gem is still the same diamond shape.
    cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By cloneslayer
    @Alaska_Gamer said:
    "
    @Al3xand3r said:
    "Master Sword gem tends to be yellow."
    The Master Sword's gem in Wind Waker was blue to symbolize it had not reached it's full power, so maybe this girl might be the case. But either way, the gem is still the same diamond shape. "
    I bet its not the master sword but some twin sword or something.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Al3xand3r

Maybe it's not even a sword. Master ball on chain? Master whip? Master blaster? Master of disaster? Who knows!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pazy

I cant really get excited about this yet, I havent even got to play Twilight Princess. Maybe once im done with that game ill be interested in this game, but until they release details theres no way to care. And even then those details have to come down to "The next Legend of Zelda will be diffrent from previous versions of the game".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.