Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

Should they ditch the formula?

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AngeTheDude

I don't envy the creative minds that have to work on Zelda games. The expectations are always high and while they always deliver, you have to wonder if it will last. Zelda games stick to the same rigid  formula most of the time, but we love them for that. It's gaming like mom used to make. Some others believe it needs to change, and that they need to break from the formula. I think it should gradually change over time. A sudden change might leave a lot of us gamers in the dust. What do you guys think?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PureRok

Definitely. I don't mind them evolving in each game, but it should definitely be taken in baby steps. Anything too radical and they stand the chance of losing a chunk of their fan base, as is evident by the initial reactions to Wind Waker. It was way different from what anyone expected with it's visual style/tone and a lot of people couldn't look past that.

While I still love Zelda, if they don't change a bit in each game the game will quickly become stale to people (which I guess was what caused some problems with Twilight Princess for some people).

red_robin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By red_robin

Why change a winning formula? i think they should try and exband on some things like make Hyrule bigger and with somthing 2 do after u beat the last boss.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

PureRok said:
    "Definitely. I don't mind them evolving in each game, but it should definitely be taken in baby steps. Anything too radical and they stand the chance of losing a chunk of their fan base, as is evident by the initial reactions to Wind Waker. It was way different from what anyone expected with it's visual style/tone and a lot of people couldn't look past that.

While I still love Zelda, if they don't change a bit in each game the game will quickly become stale to people (which I guess was what caused some problems with Twilight Princess for some people)."

Wind Waker ended up being one of the best of the series.

Change is good. People forget that OoT was a huge change from it's predecessors. Video games evolve, Zelda should, too.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zitosilva

I think it desperatly needs changes. No one wants to play the same game again, sometimes even with the same bosses and with the same itens.
    I love the series, I've been playing it since the first NES game... but now I've started to feel like I'm playing the same game. Twilight was a disappointment to me because of this, it felt like every other Zelda game again, but worse in every aspect. I agree it can't be completely revamped, but I can't see how it may stay the same way it is forever... most of us had enough.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By EvilTwin

This is something that has never really made sense to me.  Nintendo fans always want another Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, etc etc etc.  However, for other franchises, people always gripe about how such and such is just more of the same, or it's a 0.5 iteration, not a true sequel. 

Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Superchris129

They can ditch the 8 dungeon formula, where you get every weapon in a specific order. I'd like to see them get more open world rather than how they're all linear. However, I don't want them to do anything stupid. I'd rather see a good re-hash than like, a modern-day Zelda, or a first person shooter Zelda, or something dumb like that.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By clubsandwich
    Bellum said:
    "PureRok said:
    "Definitely. I don't mind them evolving in each game, but it should definitely be taken in baby steps. Anything too radical and they stand the chance of losing a chunk of their fan base, as is evident by the initial reactions to Wind Waker. It was way different from what anyone expected with it's visual style/tone and a lot of people couldn't look past that.

While I still love Zelda, if they don't change a bit in each game the game will quickly become stale to people (which I guess was what caused some problems with Twilight Princess for some people)."

Change is good. People forget that OoT was a huge change from it's predecessors. Video games evolve, Zelda should, too."
    No.
    back on topic, I think there should be a few changes, but nothing radical, I still love zelda the way it is. :3
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By dsplayer1010

They don't need to ditch the formula. They just need to change it up in some way dammit.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StaticFalconar

There have been changes, just like there have been changes to the Mario formula.

Ocarina and Majora's Mask, They aren't the same now are they?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Dalai

I think some changes in the formula are necessary... we won't be entirely satisfied with another Ocarina of Time clone next time.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I don't think they should necessarily ditch it, but I don't think they should rely so heavily on it like they did with Twilight Princess. C'mon, we've all updated to next-gen. Maybe it is time for the Zelda series to release another breakthrough game that raises the standard the way Ocarina of Time did. It's okay to stick to the core, but offer enough changes to make a game feel fresh and new again. You know, the same way games like Wind Waker and Metroid Prime did. If 1 to 1 sword fighting works well enough with MotionPlus, I wouldn't be too surprised if it was incorporated into the next Zelda, and that could be just the sort of change the series needs.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By TheJollyRajah
    clubsandwich said:
    "Bellum said:
    "PureRok said:

Change is good. People forget that OoT was a huge change from it's predecessors. Video games evolve, Zelda should, too."
    No.
    back on topic, I think there should be a few changes, but nothing radical, I still love zelda the way it is. :3
    "
    You are one of the most annoying members on GiantBomb. All you do is troll.
    Anyways, I think the formula is hackneyed. It's already been used for 10 years and a change is an absolute must if Nintendo wants to hold my attention. When I played Twlight Princess, I felt as if I've been there 'n done that. It's a good game but it's nothing groundbreaking.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By atejas

Eh, some changes, like actual swordplay(wii 1:1 controls), sidequests that actually have full-length dungeons, ORCHESTRATED SOUNDTRACK(ITS NOT THAT HARD, SMG DID IT)

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By clubsandwich
    TheJollyRajah said:
    You are one of the most annoying members on GiantBomb. All you do is troll.
    Anyways, I think the formula is hackneyed. It's already been used for 10 years and a change is an absolute must if Nintendo wants to hold my attention. When I played Twlight Princess, I felt as if I've been there 'n done that. It's a good game but it's nothing groundbreaking.
    "
    Yes I'm the biggest troll on this site, I hope yo can deal with that motherfucker.
    >________>
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#17  Edited By wefwefasdf

I don't think they need to change much. Just a few mechanics and make the sword controls more intuitive.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By oraknabo

The complaints about Wind waker were stupid and it's probably my favorite game in the series. I'd rather see another WW sequel than another Twilight Princess style game. I would like the same level of puzzle solving they've had in the past, but I agree that a more open world feel to Hyrule would be nice. It could also be cool for them to come up with another style different from those two. I'm all for changes, but these franchises need to be careful not to make the changes that ruin games like Sonic and going far enough that it doesn't feel like an official game like Mario Sunshine.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Superchris129 said:
    "They can ditch the 8 dungeon formula, where you get every weapon in a specific order. I'd like to see them get more open world rather than how they're all linear. However, I don't want them to do anything stupid. I'd rather see a good re-hash than like, a modern-day Zelda, or a first person shooter Zelda, or something dumb like that."
    A modern/future Zelda would have kicked ass if they had help from Metroid Prime's art director. Sadly, that probably won't happen, so I'm skeptical on it.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jayge_
    PureRok said:
    " Anything too radical and they stand the chance of losing a chunk of their fan base, as is evident by the initial reactions to Wind Waker. It was way different from what anyone expected with it's visual style/tone and a lot of people couldn't look past that."
    And yet, Wind Waker is the only 3D Zelda I could be bothered to play through entirely and actually enjoy.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I don't care as long as it's a quality game.  I've loved all the 3D Zelda games.

I just don't understand why nobody tries to make a similar game (or even just a ripoff) to compete with it.  Even if it's not as good, they could make some money from 360 and PS3 users that are missing out.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gameboi

As long as they keep selling the way they do, the franchise will likely never change. Nintendo is not the type of company to screw around with their main IPs too much.  It can be a risky venture.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Origina1Penguin said:
    "I don't care as long as it's a quality game.  I've loved all the 3D Zelda games.

I just don't understand why nobody tries to make a similar game (or even just a ripoff) to compete with it.  Even if it's not as good, they could make some money from 360 and PS3 users that are missing out."
    Okami takes quite a bit from Zelda . . . o wait, that's also on Wii.
    I don't know why people don't make the 3D adventure games anymore. It's the best kind of game.
    Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gameboi

I don't know about Zelda, but I always thought Banjo Kazooie was a good knockoff of Mario 64.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FengShuiGod

While they shouldn't entirely ditch the formula, I do think that they should change some things around because the Zelda games are becoming a little too formulaic.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By jakob187
    red_robin said:
    "Why change a winning formula?"
    ^^^That.  Zelda is the AC/DC of the gaming industry.  Well, actually, Dynasty Warriors is the AC/DC of the gaming industry...but follow along with me.
    They made an amazing game, then continue to repeat it over and over.  While we may be sick of seeing the same formula over and over, the fact still remains that the formula is solid and hard to deny.

I don't really care if they change the formula or not.  The few times that they've played with it (Majora's Mask, Wind Waker), I felt it was amazing.  There have been times, however, when they made the game a little less than its pedigree (Twilight Princess).

But you have to face it:  Minish Cap was fucking awesome!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think the formula needs to change, maybe not Crazy (ex. 1st person zelda FTW!) but I think it's gonna be real hard for them to switch up the formula enough for it to feel fresh.
    They need:
    -Better story
    -Voice acting
    -Not completely useless weapons, make 'em last the whole adventure
    -As far as graphics go I could care less, however Wind Waker is probably one of my favorite Zelda games of all time.
    -Clever use of Wii tech (1:1 sword fighting??)

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zitosilva

But there are some aspects that aren't so "winning" anymore. I think there are essencialy two big things that need to change. First, change the itens you get and make them be useful outside the dungeon you get them. Second, writte a good and copelling story. If they keep the same gameplay but add these two factors it would already make a HUGE difference, on my opinion of course.

But I wouldn't mind if they changed the whole thing... as I mentioned before, it's starting to wear out.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By LiquidPrince

Not ditch per se, but update. I would like voice acting...

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Illmatic

This is definitely unreliable coming from me seeing as Zelda is my all time favorite game series but I don't feel it needs a reboot as much as it just needs to adjust some of its concepts. Story, I feel  though, is definitely not one of them. The focus has never really been about the meat of the story but rather the exploration of Hyrule itself. I don't need MGS caliber story telling to enjoy my Zelda, just an entertaining and interesting world to explore. The fighting, I feel, is what needs the most work. Putting a little more flair into his swordsmanship and a little more required skill definitely sounds interesting.

Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wuffi

nintendo has gone crazy they will dumb zelda down even more and sell the same old pile of ass

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.