Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

The Legend of Zelda show is a deep, deep piece of art.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

Edited By Pepsiman

So after finishing my last final here at the university for the fall semester, Hulu was kind enough to upload the entirety of the Legend of Zelda cartoon series that played alongside the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. If only out of morbid curiosity, I watched half of the episodes with one of my roommates to kill time. My knowledge of the show up to that point was limited exclusively to Link's inclination to exclaiming, "Well excuse me, princess!" so I had no real idea what it entailed. I figured it was probably going to be bad, but in what ways exactly, I had no idea.

Let me tell you something. That show has profound undertones for a Saturday morning cartoon show from the late 80s. The plots for most of the episodes seem to be almost entirely about the hidden sexual tension in the relationship between Link, Zelda, and hell, at some points, a fairy creatively named "Sprite." Link and Zelda seem to have both just discovered the concept of puberty and being tsunderes, as they have no idea whether they genuinely want to make out with each other or get restraining orders from one scene to the next. Usually it's Link making the advances in any number of ways, from blatantly asking Zelda his version of "How about a kiss, for luck?" to just outright breaking into her room to give her some flowers. These tactics seem to work way more often than they should, since these are actually somehow enough to persuade Zelda to start the process of making out with him before something inevitably interrupts it. Still, sometimes it's Zelda who actually wants the action. In one episode, Link taking her on a picnic is enough for her to actually get on top of him and almost start doing some Sims-style love-making before, yet again, the plot actually shows up. This is all before we even include the fairy in the equation, whose ideal situation is either alone time with Link that doesn't result in her being crushed or, at minimum, a threesome with Zelda, who she just seems to barely tolerate since Link is always the apple of her eye.

I also suspect that Link is a rapist in Dic Animation's series. It feels as though there are just as many times that Link still continues his advances anyway  and then gets rejected as there are when he's actually about to figure out first hand what those talks he had with mum and dad meant about birds and bees having an unholy, quasi-bestial union. To top it off, there's an episode where he teams up with a girl who doesn't speak his language and the first thing he says about the situation while moving suggestively towards her is something along the lines of "Oh, I'm sure there's still a language we could all understand!"

I'm pretty sure that all this evidence points towards the show being propaganda for abstinence and promise rings, although the writing is so bipolar about it that it might also be telling kids to just go ahead and have high school pregnancies, too. It might also be saying all of those things at the same time. With a show that actually has a guy named Bob Forward on the writing staff, anything is really possible.

Still, none of that was what I really wanted to point out about the show, but rather, the fact that the show seems to propose the one fanfiction coupling that hasn't been covered yet on fanfiction.net. I give to you, ladies and gentlemen, the KingxLink!

So what do you make of this development in the Zelda canon? Do you think Miyamoto and company will incorporate this fascinating relationship in a future Zelda game, or shall we always be left waiting, wondering if that look of disgust was the result of a swift end to what could have been a beautiful relationship? Discuss!
    Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Pepsiman

So after finishing my last final here at the university for the fall semester, Hulu was kind enough to upload the entirety of the Legend of Zelda cartoon series that played alongside the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. If only out of morbid curiosity, I watched half of the episodes with one of my roommates to kill time. My knowledge of the show up to that point was limited exclusively to Link's inclination to exclaiming, "Well excuse me, princess!" so I had no real idea what it entailed. I figured it was probably going to be bad, but in what ways exactly, I had no idea.

Let me tell you something. That show has profound undertones for a Saturday morning cartoon show from the late 80s. The plots for most of the episodes seem to be almost entirely about the hidden sexual tension in the relationship between Link, Zelda, and hell, at some points, a fairy creatively named "Sprite." Link and Zelda seem to have both just discovered the concept of puberty and being tsunderes, as they have no idea whether they genuinely want to make out with each other or get restraining orders from one scene to the next. Usually it's Link making the advances in any number of ways, from blatantly asking Zelda his version of "How about a kiss, for luck?" to just outright breaking into her room to give her some flowers. These tactics seem to work way more often than they should, since these are actually somehow enough to persuade Zelda to start the process of making out with him before something inevitably interrupts it. Still, sometimes it's Zelda who actually wants the action. In one episode, Link taking her on a picnic is enough for her to actually get on top of him and almost start doing some Sims-style love-making before, yet again, the plot actually shows up. This is all before we even include the fairy in the equation, whose ideal situation is either alone time with Link that doesn't result in her being crushed or, at minimum, a threesome with Zelda, who she just seems to barely tolerate since Link is always the apple of her eye.

I also suspect that Link is a rapist in Dic Animation's series. It feels as though there are just as many times that Link still continues his advances anyway  and then gets rejected as there are when he's actually about to figure out first hand what those talks he had with mum and dad meant about birds and bees having an unholy, quasi-bestial union. To top it off, there's an episode where he teams up with a girl who doesn't speak his language and the first thing he says about the situation while moving suggestively towards her is something along the lines of "Oh, I'm sure there's still a language we could all understand!"

I'm pretty sure that all this evidence points towards the show being propaganda for abstinence and promise rings, although the writing is so bipolar about it that it might also be telling kids to just go ahead and have high school pregnancies, too. It might also be saying all of those things at the same time. With a show that actually has a guy named Bob Forward on the writing staff, anything is really possible.

Still, none of that was what I really wanted to point out about the show, but rather, the fact that the show seems to propose the one fanfiction coupling that hasn't been covered yet on fanfiction.net. I give to you, ladies and gentlemen, the KingxLink!

So what do you make of this development in the Zelda canon? Do you think Miyamoto and company will incorporate this fascinating relationship in a future Zelda game, or shall we always be left waiting, wondering if that look of disgust was the result of a swift end to what could have been a beautiful relationship? Discuss!
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Symphony

That show was the harbinger of things to come in media, specifically the Jonas Brothers and Twilight! Ahh if only we could turn back time and erase this show from existence!

I'm actually pretty sure the Link x King relationship it the true storyline. Miyamoto must have mentioned it at some point.. he'd be crazy not to! You know how much he loves romantic relationships in his games and all.

Gods, I don't even know what I'm saying right now. I'm tired and wanting to throw Phantasy Star out the window. What a terrible game.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By atejas

WELL EXCUUUSE ME, PRINCESS

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By vidiot

I've actually never sat down and watched a full episode from beginning to length. 
    I usually get about a minute in and the quickly make an excuse and do something else.

@Symphony said:

"Gods, I don't even know what I'm saying right now. I'm tired and wanting to throw Phantasy Star out the window. What a terrible game. "

If that's the gist of your blog tomorrow:Prepare to go to war.....again....again.....
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's only available to US viewers : /

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pepsiman
    @Linkyshinks: Ah, yes, I forgot about that. Sorry! I'll say that the series is so infamous that it can probably been seen easily enough through more illicit means that I probably don't need to list off. I'd also suspect that it's probably up on other actually legal streaming sites, although I have no idea which ones those would be and what sort of viewer demographics they'd let through.
    bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By bonbolapti

I did like that fact that Link was such a sexist asshole in the cartoon. The kind of hero you never want to root for. blew my mind when I started watching it again a year ago. and I can never go back to the Cartoon I once knew lol
    JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By JonathanMoore

Ah the Zelda cartoon, wow this was a while back. Reminds me of watching the much better Super Show.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I got my friend the Zelda cartoon as a gag gift for christmas one year, and so therefore have seen all the episodes. I can agree that most of them are strangely sexual ("Hey Princess, Looking good! Especially from this angle!"), with Link's main goal to probably get some while saving the triforce at the same time. Was it intentional that the entire series is full of innuendo? I'm guessing no. Is it awesome? Yes. 

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Tiwi

Did you even play windwaker? what is that whole game about? 
    Link, going for a boat ride ON the king.   ( some might say "riding the king" but i wanted to be tasteful.)

What i want is a game where link is totally self aware, and doesn't give a shit about anything.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude

Gross, makes me want to have butt sex with Link in the prison way.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By vaiz

This is the best blog of the year, hands down. My hat's off to you, sir.

MasterMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MasterMind

lol nintendo disowned this

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Crocio

Looks like my kind of show. =)

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By toowalrus

Man, the guys behind that show got to write fan fiction for a living. Too bad it's so awful... Although... there totally is a scene in one of them where he has to sneak across the castle courtyard, like you had to do in OoT... maybe Nintendo pulled more from the show then we thought!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By toowalrus

Ha, and you were right about that deep rooted sexuality, one of the very first things I stumbled across was what appears to be Zelda's ass right after Link asks for a kiss. Although she is just wearing flesh-colored pants, I guess.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.