Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

Was it destined for me to get this game?

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Edited By Tireyo

It is amazing what you can get at yard sales.  There are some people that act too good for yard sales, but I’m here to say that yard-sales are for everyone!  I love to yard sale because anyone can get some real bargains in good condition!

Well, the game I got for quite a bargain today at a yard sale, for only $3, was The Legend of Zelda: Collector’s Edition Promotional Disk that includes 4 classic games!  The four Zelda games that are on the disc include: The Legend of Zelda, Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask.  What’s really ironic is that I had the book to the game already, and got it for $5 at another yard sale while back for just The Ocarina of Time for the 64 because I was stuck at the Forest Temple.  What’s even more ironic is that I needed a memory card for my GameCube because I lost my main memory card that held all my data, and I got the card to replace my lost memory card about 2 weeks ago.  I bought the GameCube memory card used from a store similar to GameStop, and there was data on the memory card where the previous owner didn’t erase it.  The previous owner of that memory card had the game data from the game I just got at the yard sale, and then some!  So it was like I was destined to have that game with the book and the data included!

To make this clear, I got the book first to use only for Ocarina of Time a couple of years ago.  Then I got a memory card to hold my game data about 2 weeks ago (now I can finally play Pikmin!).  Finally, I got the game today!

No Caption Provided
    What’s really interesting is that I know that the game and book that I got at the yard sale is worth more than what I paid for it.  I’m thinking about keeping both even though I got the Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask already, then again I could sell it for a profit if I wanted to!  So, yard sales are good and fun to go to and anyone can find a bargain!  I sure did find a few good bargains, and the game and book was definitely a find. 

Edit: Question - Do you think I should sell or keep the game?

Well, if you would like to share your comments, questions, or yard sale experiences, I’m around! Thanks for reading, and until next time.

-Ty

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Tireyo

It is amazing what you can get at yard sales.  There are some people that act too good for yard sales, but I’m here to say that yard-sales are for everyone!  I love to yard sale because anyone can get some real bargains in good condition!

Well, the game I got for quite a bargain today at a yard sale, for only $3, was The Legend of Zelda: Collector’s Edition Promotional Disk that includes 4 classic games!  The four Zelda games that are on the disc include: The Legend of Zelda, Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask.  What’s really ironic is that I had the book to the game already, and got it for $5 at another yard sale while back for just The Ocarina of Time for the 64 because I was stuck at the Forest Temple.  What’s even more ironic is that I needed a memory card for my GameCube because I lost my main memory card that held all my data, and I got the card to replace my lost memory card about 2 weeks ago.  I bought the GameCube memory card used from a store similar to GameStop, and there was data on the memory card where the previous owner didn’t erase it.  The previous owner of that memory card had the game data from the game I just got at the yard sale, and then some!  So it was like I was destined to have that game with the book and the data included!

To make this clear, I got the book first to use only for Ocarina of Time a couple of years ago.  Then I got a memory card to hold my game data about 2 weeks ago (now I can finally play Pikmin!).  Finally, I got the game today!

No Caption Provided
    What’s really interesting is that I know that the game and book that I got at the yard sale is worth more than what I paid for it.  I’m thinking about keeping both even though I got the Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask already, then again I could sell it for a profit if I wanted to!  So, yard sales are good and fun to go to and anyone can find a bargain!  I sure did find a few good bargains, and the game and book was definitely a find. 

Edit: Question - Do you think I should sell or keep the game?

Well, if you would like to share your comments, questions, or yard sale experiences, I’m around! Thanks for reading, and until next time.

-Ty

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By gingertastic_10

Sweet dude. Are the games in good conditions? That be my only problem when buying games at a yard sale. But 4 games for 3 bucks, that's like .75 cents per game.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Tireyo

@gingertastic_10

Well, it's four games on one GameCube disc, and it's in good condition.  It has a very small light surface scratch on the end of the disc, but it had no impact on how the game plays.  It's clean.

mahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mahi

i love yard sales ... i once got a case of Crystal Pepsi

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Black_Rose

I have that too. It's awesome. The only problem is that Majora's Mask crashes sometimes, it's not so often but still a slightly annoying problem.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

Wow, what a find... finds and coincidences. Your were looking elsewhere, enjoying your moment of browsing and the gaming gods praised you with peripheral vision. Yard sales are a treasure trove for people just looking at their leisure.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tireyo
    @mahi said:
    " i love yard sales ... i once got a case of Crystal Pepsi "
    Amazing on what you can find in yard sales! :D

@Black_Rose said:
    " I have that too. It's awesome. The only problem is that Majora's Mask crashes sometimes, it's not so often but still a slightly annoying problem. "
    I'll probably just play the two NES versions of Zelda on that collectors disc, because I already played The Ocarina of Time and I got Majora's Mask for the Virtual Console already.  I might not have to worry about Majora's Mask crashing since I won't play it on the disc and play it on my Wii instead.  I might sell the game for profit even at the game place for $16, did some research, since I already got two main favorites, but I really don't know yet on whether I should sell it or keep it.  I'll keep the book because I need it for Majora's Mask. What do you think I should do? Sell or keep?

@Claude said:
    " Wow, what a find... finds and coincidences. Your were looking elsewhere, enjoying your moment of browsing and the gaming gods praised you with peripheral vision. Yard sales are a treasure trove for people just looking at their leisure. "
    Stange things happen!  Another persons trash is another ones treasure!

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Black_Rose

I say sell it after you beat the two NES games. Thay haven't aged that well anyway.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tireyo
    @Black_Rose said:
    " I say sell it after you beat the two NES games. Thay haven't aged that well anyway. "
    I know they didn't age well! Those two NES games I know are hard.  I had The Legend of Zelda at one time, but I never could get into it for some reason.  I might be able to get into it again, and you never know! :) Thanks for your opinion!
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Azteck

Yard sales pretty much suck whenever I go to them, they just sell baskets and old broken books. :'(

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Claude
    @Tireyo643 said:
    " @Black_Rose said:
    " I say sell it after you beat the two NES games. Thay haven't aged that well anyway. "
    I know they didn't age well! Those two NES games I know are hard.  I had The Legend of Zelda at one time, but I never could get into it for some reason.  I might be able to get into it again, and you never know! :) Thanks for your opinion! "
    Let us know how it goes. I never played the two NES games either. I'm not that great of a gamer, so I stayed away from those two. The first time I played The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was on the VC. I still think it's hard.
    Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tireyo
    @Claude said:
    " @Tireyo643 said:
    " @Black_Rose said:
    I know they didn't age well! Those two NES games I know are hard.  I had The Legend of Zelda at one time, but I never could get into it for some reason.  I might be able to get into it again, and you never know! :) Thanks for your opinion! "
    Let us know how it goes. I never played the two NES games either. I'm not that great of a gamer, so I stayed away from those two. The first time I played The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was on the VC. I still think it's hard. "
    Well, I did play the first Legend of Zelda for the NES, but I couldn't get into it.  I honestly don't think you'll really like The Legend of Zelda because it's harder and more frustrating than A Link to the Past.  A Link to the Past might be hard, but it's really good, and perhaps you might be able to agree with me on that!  I too for the first time played The legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on the VC, and it's definitely worth the 800 Wii Points. I don't regret getting it.

I can't really tell you anything on Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link because I never played it, but I'll let you know something.  However, since you're similar to me on gaming, I don't recommend The Legend of Zelda for the NES, unless you are a really huge fan of the genre.
    Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tireyo
    @Azteck said:
    " Yard sales pretty much suck whenever I go to them, they just sell baskets and old broken books. :'( "
    You come across your good and bad yard sales.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Azteck
    @Tireyo643:

I live in a city, so no yard sales for me.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Claude
    @Azteck said:
    " @Tireyo643: I live in a city, so no yard sales for me. "
    Cities don't have yard sales... wut? Stump sale, step sale, street sale... something?
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Black_Rose

Zelda II is a damn travesty. It has some fun parts but most of it sucks ass.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tireyo
    @Claude said:
    " @Azteck said:
    Cities don't have yard sales... wut? Stump sale, step sale, street sale... something? "
    What about flea markets? Aren't there any flea markets around?
    RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RetroIce4

I guess so. I would keep it. You certainly found some rare games at a garage sale. I got both of them and they mos def. would cost more than what you paid.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tireyo
    @RetroIce4 said:
    " I guess so. I would keep it. You certainly found some rare games at a garage sale. I got both of them and they mos def. would cost more than what you paid. "
    Did you see what they run on E-Bay?  I'm shocked!  I thought it was worth $16, but it's worth a little more!

@Black_Rose said:
    " Zelda II is a damn travesty. It has some fun parts but most of it sucks ass. "

I had a feeling you would say that.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Azteck
    @Tireyo643 said:
    " @Claude said:
    " @Azteck said:
    Cities don't have yard sales... wut? Stump sale, step sale, street sale... something? "
    What about flea markets? Aren't there any flea markets around? "
    Nope, haven't seen one in years.
    Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tireyo
    @Azteck said:
    " @Tireyo643 said:
    " @Claude said:
    " @Azteck said:
    What about flea markets? Aren't there any flea markets around? "
    Nope, haven't seen one in years. "
    That is a shame, of course I do know your situation of being in a city.  Not many people can really have yard sales or even go to yard sales.  I guess that it depends on where you are at.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_A_Drain

Wow, no such thing as yard sales over here, we have car boot sales where people turn up at a field and sell stuff, but you have to drive to them at they are ages away. And eBay killed the chances of finding good stuff.

That discs rare from what I understand, but not so rare it would evoke a discussion about destiny, or whether or not to sell the disc. It's worth what, £15 - 20 at the very most? Keep it if you hold it at any sentimental value, or sell it if you dont. I got gipped out of mine, I was supposed to get the disc but the stores copies mysteriously dissapeared and they offered me no compensation, I was so pissed, but at the same time desperate to play Wind Waker so I accepted it, at least I got the OoT disc with it though, even if i'll never ever play it.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tireyo
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " Wow, no such thing as yard sales over here, we have car boot sales where people turn up at a field and sell stuff, but you have to drive to them at they are ages away. And eBay killed the chances of finding good stuff.That discs rare from what I understand, but not so rare it would evoke a discussion about destiny, or whether or not to sell the disc. It's worth what, £15 - 20 at the very most? Keep it if you hold it at any sentimental value, or sell it if you dont. I got gipped out of mine, I was supposed to get the disc but the stores copies mysteriously dissapeared and they offered me no compensation, I was so pissed, but at the same time desperate to play Wind Waker so I accepted it, at least I got the OoT disc with it though, even if i'll never ever play it. "
    ='( There are certainly places that need yard sales. Yeah, the disc is pretty rare and $15 - 20 sounds right. Haven't you played OoT before? If you haven't, you should!

To all: I'm thinking about keeping the collectors edition for the reason of Ocarina of Time.  I have the original copy for the N64 and I think it would nice to have something else to fall back on just in case the Ocarina of Time for my N64 doesn't work anymore.  I believe that discs last longer than cartridges, so it would be wise I think to keep the disc.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Tireyo643:

Yeah I have played it before back when it was released, but i'm just not that big a fan of the traditional Zelda style, and I was perfectly willing to enjoy the game until the Water Temple clear smacked me in the face. I finished the game, but every time I even think about going back to it I know i'll just get to the water temple again and contemplate killing myself, so why bother, right? I'd much rather play Wind Waker, or actually finish Phantom Hourglass (No idea why but I bought it on day one, and still havnt played it for more than 3 hours total, still at the beginning of the game, need to get on and play it)
    halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By halberdierv2

man, you are lucky, yard sales are rare where I am, and mostly they just sell clothes, very few VGs.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By zitosilva

That's a nice buy dude. Too bad we don't have the habit of yard sales of here, it seems they can be fun.

I'd keep it anyway. Even if you do make profit, how much will that really be? I can't imagine it to be much. Still, it's your decision.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tireyo
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " @Tireyo643: Yeah I have played it before back when it was released, but i'm just not that big a fan of the traditional Zelda style, and I was perfectly willing to enjoy the game until the Water Temple clear smacked me in the face. I finished the game, but every time I even think about going back to it I know i'll just get to the water temple again and contemplate killing myself, so why bother, right? I'd much rather play Wind Waker, or actually finish Phantom Hourglass (No idea why but I bought it on day one, and still havnt played it for more than 3 hours total, still at the beginning of the game, need to get on and play it) "
    Yeah, the Water Temple gets me every time.  I understand why you like the Wind Waker better.  The Wind Waker is definitely a great game to play.  The Phantom Hourglass is pretty good, but it gets annoying after a while because you have to go to that temple over and over again.

@Halberdierv2 said:
    " man, you are lucky, yard sales are rare where I am, and mostly they just sell clothes, very few VGs. "

No matter what yard-sale you go to, there always seems to be clothes.

@zitosilva said:
    " That's a nice buy dude. Too bad we don't have the habit of yard sales of here, it seems they can be fun.I'd keep it anyway. Even if you do make profit, how much will that really be? I can't imagine it to be much. Still, it's your decision. "
    Thanks! :) I'm thinking about keeping the collectors edition for the reason of Ocarina of Time.  I have the original copy for the N64 and I think it would nice to have something else to fall back on just in case the Ocarina of Time for my N64 doesn't work anymore.  I believe that discs last longer than cartridges, so it would be wise I think to keep the disc, even though I could make a $13 profit immediately by selling it at the game specialty store.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Tireyo643:

Yeah I've been back to that temple twice, and figured I would be going there over and over, a friend of mine said "It's great because you get to see the same area over and over, and you know the puzzles this time!" with an insane nintendo fanboy grin. So it's hardly surprising the game got shelved and never played again lol. I really enjoyed Wind Waker, and while I agree with the key complaint (Those 8 triforce pieces should have been 8 more dungeons imo, at least small ones, instead of an egg hunt) but I loved the sailing music so much I could find 800 tri force pieces and not mind :)

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By subject2change

Good deal, paid 17 for my copy or so on eBay got really lucky with a bid. Didn't have Manual tho and paid 3.50 for that.

I'd say sell it if you aren't a collector.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tireyo
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " @Tireyo643: Yeah I've been back to that temple twice, and figured I would be going there over and over, a friend of mine said "It's great because you get to see the same area over and over, and you know the puzzles this time!" with an insane nintendo fanboy grin. So it's hardly surprising the game got shelved and never played again lol. I really enjoyed Wind Waker, and while I agree with the key complaint (Those 8 triforce pieces should have been 8 more dungeons imo, at least small ones, instead of an egg hunt) but I loved the sailing music so much I could find 800 tri force pieces and not mind :) "
    Both very good games I have to say.  Most 3D Zelda game you get is guaranteed to have good quality.

@Subject2Change said:
    " Good deal, paid 17 for my copy or so on eBay got really lucky with a bid. Didn't have Manual tho and paid 3.50 for that.I'd say sell it if you aren't a collector. "

I do have quite a collection, so I'm keeping the game.  I would like to have back up for the OoT just in case the N64 decides to give up the ghost, and the Collector's Disc is the back-up. :)
    justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By justinnotjason

To clarify, there was nothing ironic about your statement. It was coincidental. I can't stand when people use the word irony incorrectly :P

Thanks I'm done being a pretentious prick.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Diamond

I bought that disk for like $35 at Gamestop years ago, I think it was used (might have been Babbages at the time).  I mostly bought it for the nostalgia and I wanted a way to play it on a TV as opposed to emulated on a monitor.  I got rid of my NES and NES games years before that.

I think people can still find things to enjoy in Zelda 1 and 2 on NES.  Even back then a lot of people thought Zelda 2 wasn't so great, but I liked it OK.  I guess it's probably a lot of nostalgia that keeps me enjoying those games.

I played through Zelda64 when it was brand new, but still have never beaten MM.

I don't remember why I got rid of the GC disk, probably just some other game I decided I wanted more so I traded it back in.  The disk lacks some of my favorite Zelda games like LTTP and the first Gameboy one.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tireyo
    @JustinNotJason said:
    " To clarify, there was nothing ironic about your statement. It was coincidental. I can't stand when people use the word irony incorrectly :P Thanks I'm done being a pretentious prick. "
    You're not bothering me at all.

@Diamond said:
    " I bought that disk for like $35 at Gamestop years ago, I think it was used (might have been Babbages at the time).  I mostly bought it for the nostalgia and I wanted a way to play it on a TV as opposed to emulated on a monitor.  I got rid of my NES and NES games years before that.I think people can still find things to enjoy in Zelda 1 and 2 on NES.  Even back then a lot of people thought Zelda 2 wasn't so great, but I liked it OK.  I guess it's probably a lot of nostalgia that keeps me enjoying those games.I played through Zelda64 when it was brand new, but still have never beaten MM.I don't remember why I got rid of the GC disk, probably just some other game I decided I wanted more so I traded it back in.  The disk lacks some of my favorite Zelda games like LTTP and the first Gameboy one. "

Yes, it was Babbages because I came up with a nickname for it, which is Cabbages! :D I haven't even started on Majora's Mask yet!  I got time though to play it.  Zelda 1 and 2 takes time to get into and a bit hard, and thats probably why I stayed away from the two.  I owned the first one at one time, but I hardly ever played it. Never played the second one until I tried it today.  I don't really like it that much.  I don't know why the disc lacks LTTP for, but I figured that they could only fit so much on one disc.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Diamond
    @Tireyo643 said:
    Yes, it was Babbages because I came up with a nickname for it, which is Cabbages! :D I haven't even started on Majora's Mask yet!  I got time though to play it.  Zelda 1 and 2 takes time to get into and a bit hard, and thats probably why I stayed away from the two.  I owned the first one at one time, but I hardly ever played it. Never played the second one until I tried it today.  I don't really like it that much.  I don't know why the disc lacks LTTP for, but I figured that they could only fit so much on one disc. "
    Zelda 2 took me a long time to play though, just losing all your lives in a dungeon and starting over.  Took me about a straight month to beat it back in the day, not counting the days I had rented the game before having it for the month.  Something about the music and graphics still appeals to me, the game feels very mysterious when I play it.

As far as disk storage is concerned, it would have been trivial to fit the extra 1 megabyte or so for Link to the Past, along with whatever it took to emulate it on Gamecube.  Probably was more about the amount of time it would have taken to get a perfect running SNES emulator running on Gamecube at that time.  The 2 N64 and 2 NES Zelda's would have only taken up less than 100 megabytes of the 1.5GB they had available, but I forget if the disk had any extras?
    Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Tireyo
    @Diamond said:
    " @Tireyo643 said:
    Yes, it was Babbages because I came up with a nickname for it, which is Cabbages! :D I haven't even started on Majora's Mask yet!  I got time though to play it.  Zelda 1 and 2 takes time to get into and a bit hard, and thats probably why I stayed away from the two.  I owned the first one at one time, but I hardly ever played it. Never played the second one until I tried it today.  I don't really like it that much.  I don't know why the disc lacks LTTP for, but I figured that they could only fit so much on one disc. "
    Zelda 2 took me a long time to play though, just losing all your lives in a dungeon and starting over.  Took me about a straight month to beat it back in the day, not counting the days I had rented the game before having it for the month.  Something about the music and graphics still appeals to me, the game feels very mysterious when I play it.As far as disk storage is concerned, it would have been trivial to fit the extra 1 megabyte or so for Link to the Past, along with whatever it took to emulate it on Gamecube.  Probably was more about the amount of time it would have taken to get a perfect running SNES emulator running on Gamecube at that time.  The 2 N64 and 2 NES Zelda's would have only taken up less than 100 megabytes of the 1.5GB they had available, but I forget if the disk had any extras? "
    Yes, the disc has extras.  It has a Zelda Retrospective video, A 20 minute playable demo of Wind Waker, and a preview video of the Wind Waker. - Can't find it on Youtube for some reason.

Zelda 2 just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.  I don't really like how it plays for some reason.  Of course the music in both games, Zelda 1 and 2, are great, but I can't seem to get into it sadly.  I like all the other Zelda games though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.