Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

What is the worst Zelda game? (Poll)

• 164 results
    TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

#1  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

For me it would have to be Four Swords Adventures. The levels where just too long and I got bored fast. Had to play the game in spurts to finish it. At the time though, I had fun with the game.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

With the announcement of Wind Waker HD and seeing people's reactions I've got Zelda on the brain, and seeing some people calling it the worst Zelda game caused me to make this poll. I'm curious what the consensus would end up being as I've seen lots of people call pretty much any Zelda aside from Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and maybe Link's Awakening the worst Zelda. Spin-offs like Link's Crossbow Training weren't included, and the CD-i games weren't included in the poll because that makes it too easy.

Personally I think Twilight Princess is the worst Zelda. I just found the dungeons in that game really boring, the overworld empty and dull, and I hated everything where you played as the wolf.

@JJOR64 said:

For me it would have to be Four Swords Adventures. The levels where just too long and I got bored fast. Had to play the game in spurts to finish it. At the time though, I had fun with the game.

I had a lot of fun playing through that game with a friend when it came out, but single player that game is just a slog. Even with other people though some of the levels get pretty monotonous.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Of the ones I have played... Fuck, they're all so good. I guess Four Swords, but I have a bunch of fun playing that with my brother.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JJOR64

@Taku128 said:

@JJOR64 said:

I had a lot of fun playing through that game with a friend when it came out, but single player that game is just a slog. Even with other people though some of the levels get pretty monotonous.

I really had no one to play it with so I had to play it Single Player. I did play some Multiplayer for it after I beat it and it was fun. Still, just those long levels even in Multiplayer didn't help.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By spankingaddict

Zelda 2 , I guess . That's the only one that didn't hook me in . If you think TP is the worst , YOU'RE INSANE !

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@JJOR64 said:

@Taku128 said:

@JJOR64 said:

I really had no one to play it with so I had to play it Single Player. I did play some Multiplayer for it after I beat it and it was fun. Still, just those long levels even in Multiplayer didn't help.

Getting four people with Game Boy Advances and those stupid GBA to GameCube cables together was impossible, so I wouldn't be surprised if most people played it that way. I think with online a new Four Swords on the 3DS or Wii U could be really great, but considering Nintendo's track-record with online I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By BisonHero

@spankingaddict said:

Zelda 2 , I guess . That's the only one that didn't hook me in . If you think TP is the worst , YOU'RE INSANE !

Zelda 2 is a very demanding game that is VERY different from the other Zelda games, but it really wasn't too bad, compared to the other NES games of the day.

Twilight Princess just did the fewest new things in a Zelda ever, and stuck so very close to formula. It wasn't bad, but it sure was boring. But whatever, I'm sure there are young kids out there for whom it was their first Zelda, and they totally love Midna or Wolf Link or whatever. It's certainly the worst 3D Zelda.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By MezZa

As cool as trains are, I'm going to have to vote spirit tracks on this one.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Nottle

I never understood the hate for Twilight Princess. I picked Spirit Tracks because I really didn't get much into it, but it seems like there is no sense of adventure there.

Majoras Mask I think is great, WindWaker, I think the sailing is fun, Twilight Princess I thought Midna was pretty neat as well as some of the dungeons. I have yet to play Skyward sword but I think I'd like it more than most.

Why do people not like the sailing? It's so seamless and scaled well.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#11  Edited By BeachThunder
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Vinny_Says

Wand of Gamelon for the CDi. Don't act like it doesn't exist dude.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

I like how the Game Boy ones are the only ones to avoid any votes. That makes me feel good, those always were my favorite ones. That and LTTP.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@Vinny_Says said:

Wand of Gamelon for the CDi. Don't act like it doesn't exist dude.

If I put that on the poll that's literally all anyone would vote for.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

So is the Wind Waker release going to be a physical retail release?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Hizang

Ocarina of Time was pretty shitty.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JJOR64

@LiquidPrince said:

They haven't said. I would say Retail.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince

@JJOR64 said:

@LiquidPrince said:

They haven't said. I would say Retail.

That makes me happy.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

The lack of CDi Zelda games on this poll disturbs me.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By L44

Of the ones I've played? Ocarina of Time. (I have played that, Windwaker, Majora's Mask and Link to the Past).

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By joshthebear

Whoever voted for A Link to the Past is just wrong.

The real answer is Skyward Sword.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Milkman

It's obviously Zelda II, out of all these options. 

If we want to talk worst 3D Zelda game, then it gets interesting. For me, it would probably be Majora's Mask with Twilight Princess a close second.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Phatmac

Wand of Gamalon, clearly. WHY CAN'T I VOTE FOR THAT!?!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BisonHero

@MentalDisruption: @Nottle: I'm playing Spirit Tracks right now, and it seems fine. I like the dungeons a little better than in Phantom Hourglass. The overworld in both games is the weakest part, as there's just barely anything at all between the towns and major dungeons. I liked Zelda's role in Spirit Tracks because she's actually around and does stuff, instead of just turned to stone for like the whole game in Phantom Hourglass. Also going back to the main dungeon in PH was pretty lame after the first couple times, whereas the main dungeon in ST you just move on to the next part, and only backtrack into it if you want some extra treasure.

In general, Phantom Hourglass just disappointed me because the sea was SO much less lively than the sea in Wind Waker.

Any particular reason you guys preferred Phantom Hourglass to Spirit Tracks?

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

As a pretty big Zelda II fan these results are breaking my heart. :(

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nottle

@BisonHero: I'm going to be honest, the only reason I said it is because I've played so little of it. I don't even think I've gotten to a dungeon in it. Just never got around to it. I'll give it another go sometime.

There were quite a few bad things about Phantom Hourglass. I did like Linebeck and the return of really expressive link.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#27  Edited By jeffrud

I'd vote for both DS games if I could. I'm not even the sort of person that complains about touch controls in games; I'll punch your parents in the face if you say bad things about Elite Beat Agents, for instance. I just hated playing Zelda games where a ton of perfectly useful buttons were ignored so you could experience the games with a stylus. And kudos to people mentioning how empty those games felt in general.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By DarthOrange

I've never played a Zelda game before.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By AndrewB

I guess 4 Swords? Paper-thin plot and I never had anyone to play with. It's surely a fun game if you do... but I take Zelda as more of a single player thing anyway.

All the games have been decent; I just burned out on the formula with Twilight Princess. But man, that Midna...

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Patman99

Zelda II was a steaming pile of shite.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SagaciousJones

Anyone not voting for Phantom Hourglass has not played Phantom Hourglass.

Fact.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BisonHero

@Taku128 said:

As a pretty big Zelda II fan these results are breaking my heart. :(

Given the demographics of the site, I'm assuming that the majority of people voting in this poll weren't even born or were infants when Zelda II came out. So years after the fact, when 2D Zelda came to be defined as a very particular thing, anybody who plays Zelda II goes "Y MY SKILLS NO TRANSFER?" because they expect something called "Zelda II" would play like Zelda 1 or LttP.

I personally don't think it's a great game, but it seems fine. I got a couple dungeons in and found it fairly punishing, it had a weird magic system, and I didn't know where I was going, but that's NES games for you. It seems like a decent action-RPG thing, relative to the other action-RPG things of the era. But the people answering the poll are likely not really evaluating it on its own merits, and instead just don't like that it has little in common with Zelda 1 or LttP.

I guess they're right, though. Zelda II is the worst at being a Zelda game, because it basically isn't one. But that's dumb, because by that standard, Twilight Princess is the best at being a Zelda game because it is completely safe and has all the shit you expect from a Zelda game, while adding nothing worth keeping (e.g. Spinner was the most useless item with a ridiculously narrow use). It is textbook Zelda, in the sense that it's a mishmash of the games that actually wrote the textbook (Zelda 1, LttP, OoT).

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bane122

Of the ones I've played, Twilight Princess. It's not that it's a bad game but it's just the one I've liked the least.

Two things, though:

I've not played it but Spirit Tracks looks absolutely terrible.

Zelda II is so underrated it hurts.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@SagaciousJones said:

Fact.

Is Spirit Tracks actually better? I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass to a degree but never played past the tutorial for Spirit Tracks.

@BisonHero: When I made the poll I was more-so thinking the worst video game in the Legend of Zelda franchise, not the worst at being a Legend of Zelda video game. I think most people who hate Zelda II for being different probably also genuinely dislike it though.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SagaciousJones

@Taku128 said:

Is Spirit Tracks actually better? I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass to a degree but never played past the tutorial for Spirit Tracks.

The consensus among most people* is that it's better in just about every aspect (characters, art design, dungeons, etc.) but is only good relative to PH. It's still the second-weakest Zelda game by a large margin.

The biggest difference is that it doesn't have the Ocean Temple, which forces you to repeat every interesting mechanic PH could muster over and over again until all novelty over the touch controls has been drained and only obligation to completionism pushes you forward.

Edit: *That I've talked with. Obviously there might be someone who disagrees, but I have yet to meet them.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BisonHero

@Taku128 said:

@SagaciousJones said:

Fact.

@BisonHero: When I made the poll I was more-so thinking the worst video game in the Legend of Zelda franchise, not worst at being a Legend of Zelda video game. I think most people who hate Zelda II for being different probably also genuinely dislike it though.

Spirit Tracks did fix some of the issues in Phantom Hourglass, though certain elements are bad in both (they both have very lifeless overworlds, and your movement speed through said overworlds is far too slow). Aside from stuff I've already mentioned earlier in the thread, I just remembered that the ending of Phantom Hourglass rips off the ending of Link's Awakening verbatim. I'm not exaggerating, it's literally the same plot device, except in LA they foreshadowed it in several places and it made sense, while in PH it just comes out of absolutely nowhere at the last second and doesn't serve the story in any way whatsoever.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By OllyOxenFree

No votes for Link's Awakening just like how it should be.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wind Waker was damn near perfect until the hours-long fetch quest just before the end.

I don't really want to argue "worst Zelda" as each has its own merit; I'm going to be contrarian and tell you my favourite.

My favourite is probably Majora's Mask, shortly followed by WW/OoT. Those are the games that had the strongest world building aspect, as far as I'm concerned. Skyward Sword feels a little too much like "My First Zelda", but I've not played enough to readily decide its place in the pantheon.

Curses! I've inadvertently told you my least favourite...

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JazGalaxy

@BisonHero said:

@spankingaddict said:

Zelda 2 is a very demanding game that is VERY different from the other Zelda games, but it really wasn't too bad, compared to the other NES games of the day.

Twilight Princess just did the fewest new things in a Zelda ever, and stuck so very close to formula. It wasn't bad, but it sure was boring. But whatever, I'm sure there are young kids out there for whom it was their first Zelda, and they totally love Midna or Wolf Link or whatever. It's certainly the worst 3D Zelda.

I don't get why people would think it's even a LITTLE bit bad. That is one of the best zelda games. the music is fantastic, among the best in the series, and pushed the NES further than any game of the time. The game is vastly different than it's predecessor, which is a great thing. Especially compared to modern times when games are just garbage clones of one another. It gave you a vastly different look at Hyrule and the people in it. And best of all, the 2d combat was fantastic. It was always challenging and thusly always fun. I think people who didn't play it at the time give it a bad rap in retrospect just because it sticks out so far from what Zelda was previously. I mean, barring the perspective, Zelda 3 has just as little in Common with Zelda 1 as Zelda 2 does.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BisonHero

@OllyOxenFree said:

No votes for Link's Awakening just like how it should be.

Like many "worst/best entry in a series" polls, certain options are obscure enough that not a lot of people are going to have a strong opinion on them way or the other, so they get almost no votes. In this case, to this day a lot of people don't play the portable versions of the Zelda series, even if they are a lot better than, say, the portable version of Resistance or Killzone or something.

I mean, I think Link's Awakening is bloody fantastic, but then I got it for Christmas when I was younger when the Game Boy Color came out, and it was one of the first games I got into really deep and just knew everything about. Nostalgia aside, it is a very full Zelda experience (which is nuts given how underpowered the Game Boy was compared to the SNES), and I find it every bit as involving as Link to the Past. On the other hand, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are kind of weak, and it feels like they weren't given enough budget or time or something, because A) the overworlds are just miles and miles of NOTHING, and B) they couldn't be bothered to put a full like 6-8 dungeons in either game (and the dungeons that are in the game all feel too similar).

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#41  Edited By markini6

I remember all the people complaining about Wind Waker before its release, my heart fills with joy at the sight of it having received no votes. Of course now the devious bastards at Nintendo have secured one more Wii U purchase with its remake.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By butano

Hmm....probably Phantom Hourglass. Haven't played it for a few years, but it had the same problem I had with Majora's Mask (and I loathe Majora's Mask), and that was the terrible time limit. Add in the fact that you also had to backtrack through prior dungeons again later on also factors into it being my "worst" Zelda game (it's still a great DS game that utilized the machine in some neat ways).

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@BisonHero: Definitely true. Link's Awakening is by far one of the best games, where as Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks are pretty awful. They controlled very badly, the dungeons were bland and the instruments were a nightmare. The pan pipes are literally the worst game mechanic I've ever seen and make it almost impossible to progress past certain points. Ugh.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By musclerider

People saying Zelda II are crazy.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Given my personal experience I have to say Phantom Hourglass for the DS. This game is a great example of how Nintendo lately has been changing how a LoZ game controls for the worse so it can better suit the hardware just like the LoZ games for the Wii, just the basic act of the sword spin is made frustrating by having to draw a circle around Link and constantly getting hit by the range attacks of the first boss when I'm meant to be hitting them back with the spin.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By superfriend

For me, it´s Skyward Sword. The game just didn´t keep my attention like almost all the other Zeldas did in the past. Haven´t played Zelda II and Four Swords though.

Also, the people who choose Ocarina of Time out of all these games need to see a doctor. Seriously. I know, I know different tastes and everything, but still: You guys are crazy.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By WarlordPayne

The Adventure of Link was fine, all you people voting for it have no idea what you're talking about.

The worst console Zelda(I have no opinion on the handheld ones) was Ocarina of Time. That game treats you like you're a fucking five year old for hours and then when you actually get to go out and do something the enemies act like they're in a bad kung-fu movie and all wait their turn so you can fight them one at a time.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#48  Edited By fobwashed

All I've got to say is that when I originally played Zelda II (back when I was a little kid) I thought it was a bad game. Having played it recently (like 4 years ago on the Wii) I found it to be an amazing game. So pretty much, go give it a whirl now and you'll prolly be pleasantly surprised.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Canteu

All of them. The only good ones are Link to the past and Oracle of ages/seasons.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By Vexxan

I love Zelda games but I cannot for the life of me make it through Zelda II because I'm simply do not enjoy playing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.