Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

What's your favorite top-down Zelda game?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Hey, I've been playing my first top-down Zelda, A Link to the Past, and it's pretty great.

I looked through the Zelda forum pages and was surprised this question hasn't been asked.

What's your favorite top-down Zelda? Plz no spoilers.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I probably have to go with ALttP, it's hard to top it. A Link Between Worlds is also fantastic. Link’s Awakening is up there also because it's so weird.

Did not like Minish Cap very much, have yet to play Seasons or Ages.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By cloudymusic

A Link to the Past is #1 for me, and A Link Between Worlds is (then maybe unsurprisingly) #2. After that, Zelda 1 and Link's Awakening might be tied for third. I haven't played much of the GBA/GBC ones so I can't judge. I'd call Cadence of Hyrule and Four Swords "just OK."

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Split between A Link Between Worlds and The Minish Cap, for me.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

1. Link's Awakening (original)
    2. The Minish Cap
    3. Oracle of Ages
    4. Oracle of Seasons
    5. A Link to the Past
    6. Legend of Zelda

Link's Awakening is way out in the front for me. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th are all pretty close though. And the original Zelda is firmly at the bottom - I super respect the original Zelda, but as a game to play, it can be tough to enjoy.

I excluded Zelda 2, even though it has a top-down overworld, it feels a little disingenuous calling it a top-down Zelda game.

Also, huge Legend of Zelda spoiler: you don't actually play as Zelda, you play as some weird elf kid called Link.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By liquiddragon

huh, are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks not considered top-down Zelda? They seem to have some different perspectives but mostly overhead. And I guess ppl aren't crazy about Four Swords Adventures or Tri Force Heroes.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BonelessSpirit

I totally forgot Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks existed lol. Never played the latter but Phantom Hourglass didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oracles and then Lttp.

La was ok not great. Same with Minish cap.

The ds games were awful.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely have the fondest memories of Link's Awakening, since it was one of my first Zelda experiences ever. I quite enjoyed Ages and Seasons too, even if they were a little rough in some ways.

I didn't play ALttP when it came out, since I didn't have an SNES, and by the time I got around to playing it it didn't leave much of an impression on me. It was a perfectly fine game that I neither loved or hated. It's probably a reason why I couldn't get into A Link Between Worlds either. (Although that game had other issues.)

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

A Link Between Worlds, aside from Phantom Hourglass (if that qualifies) it's the only top-down Zelda game i've beaten. I've played ATTP, Awakening & Minish cap but didnt really like any of them.

I think it's the 4-way movement that bothered me. I'd probably enjoy the remake of Awakening a lot more due it's 8-way movement. It also looks a lot better. Personally I think most Gameboy games kind of look like trash. I felt this way even as a kid, despite enjoying many games on it.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Link's Awakening. I know LTTP is the fan-favorite, but the dungeons aren't very interesting compared to LA or later games, and it's a bit too long. Link's Awakening has a tight, perfectly constructed gameplay loop. Also, Marin will always be my girl.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A link between worlds, ain't even close.

Pooch516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pooch516

Off the top of my head (I think this is all of them):

1. Link to the Past
    2. Link Between Worlds
    3. Oracle of Seasons
    4. Link's Awakening
    5. Legend of Zelda
    6. Minish Cap
    7. Oracle of Ages
    8. Phantom Hourglass
    9. Four Swords Adventure
    10. Spirit Tracks
    11. Four Swords
    12. Tri-Force Heroes

2-5 could probably be arranged differently depending on my mood. I have a lot of nostalgia for Seasons, and apparently I'm the only person who thinks there's a major difference the Oracle games (I remember magazines giving them the same review as if they were Pokemon games back in the day. They are really different games, and I feel like Ages has a lot more bullshit than Seasons).

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A link between worlds is mine, phenomenal game.

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Haz_Kaj

Oracle of Seasons is my all time fav 2D Zelda game and 2nd fav Zelda of all time.

Games that I thought were great

- Link to the Past

- Link Between Worlds

Games that i thought were good but not great

- Oracle of Ages(Had serious pacing issues compared to seasons and i didn't like the dungeons or characters as much as Seasons. Preferred the season change mechanic to the Time one)

- Links Awakening Both Old and Remake

- Minish Cap

Games I thought were ok and beat but didn't care for the that much

- Four Swords Adventures

- Legend of Zelda(i mean it's a classic sure but i respect it more than i care about ever playing it again)

Games I just disliked and refuse to play ever again

- Spirit Tracks

- Phantom Hourglass

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.