Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

Why Zelda shouldn't change (even though I would like for it to)

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By benpack

If you're like me, then you were born somewhere around 1989 and you love video games. Your first Zelda game was probably Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, and you still love that game to this day. You were so excited, and maybe even a little scared the first time you went into the Dark World. You were blown away the first time you stepped onto Hyrule Field when you played OoT (I can't spell Occorania. See?) and your favorite Zelda game is probably either OoT, Majora's Mask, or Wind Waker. But the problem is, there is a whole generation of gamers out there who's first Zelda game was Twilight Princess, and that will probably be their favorite, even if they go back to play the ones we say are the best. This is why Zelda shouldn't change dramatically. It isn't for us anymore.

I was inspired to write this after this thread asked what you would change in a Zelda game. My response was the following:

" I would like the Zelda games to have a story besides "guy in green saves princess from Gannon." It could even be that, but make me care about Link. I've never felt so detached from a character. "

It seemed like a few people agreed with that, and I moved on with my life. But then user KJellm87 said the following in response to me:

"Each Zelda game has its own story. But they are rarely about Link himself.
     When the gods slips up and things get out of control, Link enter the scene and makes thing right.
    The reason for this might be that Nintendo want you to think you're Link himself. "

That got me thinking. Would I love Zelda and had played seven of their games if LttP was a story driven action game? Maybe, maybe not, but I guarantee you the kids that Nintendo is marketing Zelda to don't want this. Zelda isn't made for the story, it's made for that experience of going around to different set pieces and figuring out puzzles. I'm not saying kids are idiots and they don't deserve good games. The main complaint with Zelda today is it's "more of the same," not that it's a bad game. But for these seven-ten year olds who are just getting into Zelda, it isn't more of the same. We don't need deep rich story in Zelda games. We have games from Bioware that tell rich stories about different characters, or games like the upcoming L.A. Noire, which seems like one of the most mature games to come for a while (not mature in the sense of M-Rated full of boobies and blood, but in the sense that it's for mature players).

Every kid deserves to have "that Zelda moment" that we all had growing up. And while I would love a more mature Zelda for me, it's not in the cards. I will still play Zelda games, but I will play them for what they are. A way for kids to start loving video games.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By benpack

If you're like me, then you were born somewhere around 1989 and you love video games. Your first Zelda game was probably Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, and you still love that game to this day. You were so excited, and maybe even a little scared the first time you went into the Dark World. You were blown away the first time you stepped onto Hyrule Field when you played OoT (I can't spell Occorania. See?) and your favorite Zelda game is probably either OoT, Majora's Mask, or Wind Waker. But the problem is, there is a whole generation of gamers out there who's first Zelda game was Twilight Princess, and that will probably be their favorite, even if they go back to play the ones we say are the best. This is why Zelda shouldn't change dramatically. It isn't for us anymore.

I was inspired to write this after this thread asked what you would change in a Zelda game. My response was the following:

" I would like the Zelda games to have a story besides "guy in green saves princess from Gannon." It could even be that, but make me care about Link. I've never felt so detached from a character. "

It seemed like a few people agreed with that, and I moved on with my life. But then user KJellm87 said the following in response to me:

"Each Zelda game has its own story. But they are rarely about Link himself.
     When the gods slips up and things get out of control, Link enter the scene and makes thing right.
    The reason for this might be that Nintendo want you to think you're Link himself. "

That got me thinking. Would I love Zelda and had played seven of their games if LttP was a story driven action game? Maybe, maybe not, but I guarantee you the kids that Nintendo is marketing Zelda to don't want this. Zelda isn't made for the story, it's made for that experience of going around to different set pieces and figuring out puzzles. I'm not saying kids are idiots and they don't deserve good games. The main complaint with Zelda today is it's "more of the same," not that it's a bad game. But for these seven-ten year olds who are just getting into Zelda, it isn't more of the same. We don't need deep rich story in Zelda games. We have games from Bioware that tell rich stories about different characters, or games like the upcoming L.A. Noire, which seems like one of the most mature games to come for a while (not mature in the sense of M-Rated full of boobies and blood, but in the sense that it's for mature players).

Every kid deserves to have "that Zelda moment" that we all had growing up. And while I would love a more mature Zelda for me, it's not in the cards. I will still play Zelda games, but I will play them for what they are. A way for kids to start loving video games.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By WickedCestus

I completely agree. I was going back through Wind Waker recently, and that confirmed to me that I don't want a gritty adult Zelda, because the point of Zelda is solving puzzles and exploring a large, interesting world. It's not about telling a great story. They are the epitome of Nintendo's craft: fantastic games for kids, while still being enjoyable to older players. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwho

Your title makes my brain hurt.

I don't think "its somebody's first game" really explains away dated or derivative mechanics. You could use that logic for any game. Homefront could be somebody's first shooter, does that make it better?
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By benpack
    @ryanwho: Tell me, what was your favorite game of last year?
    Mass Effect 2? Red Dead?
    These games had stale mechanics, and plenty of derivative shit in them but still were a great experience. Like Zeda.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I don't find any of Zelda's mechanics to be dated, personally.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho
    @GlenTennis said:
    " @ryanwho: Tell me, what was your favorite game of last year?Mass Effect 2? Red Dead?These games had stale mechanics, and plenty of derivative shit in them but still were a great experience. Like Zeda. "
    I don't see how making Zelda better would take out the "magic". You haven't made a case at all why improvement would ruin the IP, just why you're okay with the games not changing. If you're okay with the games not changing, then play the OOT remake. Then in 6 years, play the next OOT remake, and make that the game you give your kid first.
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By benpack
    @ryanwho: Well then, tell me, how would you make Zelda better?
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

I look at Zelda games and a lot of Nintendo games the same way I do sports games. The games are played the same way, but with little tweaks here and there that make them feel fresh. But the core gameplay stays the same. As for story and Zelda, I just like exploring and the challenge of beating the game. The characters aren't bad either. Except for Tingle, who likes Tingle?

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't want a deep rich story in almost any game I play because games that try to have them usually fail. What disconnects me from a character is when I'm forced to watch them act like a complete moron every time the game takes control away from me. Zelda games have decent video game stories already. Seriously, the story in Wind Waker was pretty damn good... for a video game. And as long as the game is fun, I'm okay with that. Twilight Princess was pretty damn bad though, and with the focus on motion control in Skyward Sword, I'm honestly a little worried...

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho
    @GlenTennis said:
    " @ryanwho: Well then, tell me, how would you make Zelda better? "
    Im sorry, is this one of those things where if I can't come up with a Miyamoto innovation on the spot, my argument is invalid? Okay. How about splitting the character time. Maybe you play as Shiek some of the time, and she has her own tools. Or how about time travel is used in a "consequences matter" context, really expand on what they started with Majora's Mask. There are a lot of things they could do.
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By benpack
    @ryanwho said:
    " @GlenTennis said:
    " @ryanwho: Well then, tell me, how would you make Zelda better? "
    Im sorry, is this one of those things where if I can't come up with a Miyamoto innovation on the spot, my argument is invalid? . "
    No, I'm just curious how fast you are to reject my ideas without substituting your own. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

I never understood the need for a "mature" Zelda.  It's almost like asking for a mature Mario game.  What do most people clamoring for a mature Zelda want out of the game anyway?  These games are meant to be adventures for all ages, not gorehounds that think the depiction of severed limbs and fountains of blood are the only real sign of mature content.  It's one of the reasons why I never understood the idea that Darksiders was somehow the mature Zelda people had supposedly been waiting for.  It was the fourteen-year-old asshat's idea of mature, not something targeted at mature adults.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Enigma777
    @GlenTennis said:
    " If you're like me, then you were born somewhere around 1989 and you love video games. Your first Zelda game was probably Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, and you still love that game to this day. You were so excited, and maybe even a little scared the first time you went into the Dark World. You were blown away the first time you stepped onto Hyrule Field when you played OoT (I can't spell Occorania. See?) and your favorite Zelda game is probably either OoT, Majora's Mask, or Wind Waker."
    Fuck me sideways! Are you some kind of wizard? Can you give me next week's lottery numbers? 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho
    @Hailinel said:
    " I never understood the need for a "mature" Zelda.  It's almost like asking for a mature Mario game.  What do most people clamoring for a mature Zelda want out of the game anyway?  These games are meant to be adventures for all ages, not gorehounds that think the depiction of severed limbs and fountains of blood are the only real sign of mature content.  It's one of the reasons why I never understood the idea that Darksiders was somehow the mature Zelda people had supposedly been waiting for.  It was the fourteen-year-old asshat's idea of mature, not something targeted at mature adults. "
    I don't think anyone was suggesting that kind of Zelda. It could be more mature in the same way Majora's Mask is significantly more mature than most Zelda games. Or Neverending Story, which is a children's movie but it still deals with heady things and wrecks your emotional core from time to time. You're the defense force for Other M and yet you oppose any kind of maturity here?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " I never understood the need for a "mature" Zelda.  It's almost like asking for a mature Mario game.  What do most people clamoring for a mature Zelda want out of the game anyway?  These games are meant to be adventures for all ages, not gorehounds that think the depiction of severed limbs and fountains of blood are the only real sign of mature content.  It's one of the reasons why I never understood the idea that Darksiders was somehow the mature Zelda people had supposedly been waiting for.  It was the fourteen-year-old asshat's idea of mature, not something targeted at mature adults. "
    I don't think anyone was suggesting that kind of Zelda. It could be more mature in the same way Majora's Mask is significantly more mature than most Zelda games. Or Neverending Story, which is a children's movie but it still deals with heady things and wrecks your emotional core from time to time. You're the defense force for Other M and yet you oppose any kind of maturity here? "
    I'm not opposed to a well done, mature Zelda.  I just question what it is that most people clamoring for a mature Zelda want.  If it's something heady like Majora's Mask, then yes, by all means.  If it's nothing more than your average Zelda game with blood flowing everywhere and Link ripping Ganon's spine out through his mouth at the end, then no thanks.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By SlightConfuse

i would not mind if link spoke

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

On your "more of the same" point, can somebody explain why that's a bad thing? If the first game was good, and every game after it is the same, then where does it start to suck? Where would the math collapse into itself?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho
    @Hailinel: I agree with that. But there are other things you can change and still the game will feel right. Like, is it truly integral to the experience that the music still basically be chiptunes? A real operatic score wouldn't kill the mood. Side characters having voices wouldn't kill the mood. Health recharging when you're not actively battling wouldn't kill the game. Its 2011, and when I die on a Skyward Sword boss, Im gonna be reset in the boss room with a portion of my HP. So I just died on this dude and now I do it again with less HP. Shit is bonkers, that's still happening. Small remnants of the past like that are all over the game and not all of them can be attributed to "charm".
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By craigbo180
    @ryanwho: I think the point of the whole its someone's first game is that its a magic experience for them because they haven't played it yet. You argue that improving it won't take away the magic but there is a possibility that it could. They have a tried and tested formula and honestly whichever Zelda game you play first after Link to the Past could be your favourite because they are all amazing and they still are amazing, it's just way to familiar for us now and we have all moved on to this new generation with flashy graphics and "evolved" characters. To a kid who's still got a big imagination a Zelda game is an awe inspiring adventure. I don't get why people want to change games anyway, if you are sick of Zelda play something else.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SlightConfuse
    @Video_Game_King: because it the same thing every time, do things enough and they start to get bored with it. that does not translate to a bad game just people reluctance to play it. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Hailinel: I agree with that. But there are other things you can change and still the game will feel right. Like, is it truly integral to the experience that the music still basically be chiptunes? A real operatic score wouldn't kill the mood. Side characters having voices wouldn't kill the mood. Health recharging when you're not actively battling wouldn't kill the game. Its 2011, and when I die on a Skyward Sword boss, Im gonna be reset in the boss room with a portion of my HP. So I just died on this dude and now I do it again with less HP. Shit is bonkers, that's still happening. Small remnants of the past like that are all over the game and not all of them can be attributed to "charm". "
    I'm in agreement with all of this, really.  I want a Zelda with full voice acting, orchestral music, and revamped game mechanics that don't feel trapped in the N64 era or earlier.  And I think that improving on at least the presentational aspects could heighten the game's mature appeal if done right.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @slightconfuse:

Although I don't see why people should become bored with it. Again, if you did it before and liked it, you'll like it again if you do it again. I'd fight you on the reluctance point, but I don't want to dig through game sales data and whatnot.
    Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cold_Wolven

LoZ doesn't have to change too much. I liked Twilight Princess, the overall tone of the game was dark and the action was fun. One of the common complaints from reviewers was that the music was MIDI and that Nintendo didn't utilize an actual orchestra which could have been cool as the game itself screamed epic adventure. 

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By skadave

My first Zelda game was the original (Legend of Zelda NES). My favorite is Windwaker,  partially because it reminded me of my original Zelda experience and partially because of the art style and game mechanics. You can change it up quite a bit but it must still feel like a Zelda game. For instance you couldn't make it like assassin's creed and slap a Zelda title on the box. It still needs to have the Zelda elements in it to make it Zelda.

With that said, I don't want another Twilight Princess. If you want me to purchase a new Zelda it has to be as fresh and innovative with the art style as Windwaker.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#25  Edited By Icemael

I would actually like less story in Zelda games. Less hand-holding, too. More exploration is what the series needs. I remember in A Link to the Past when I found the ice rod, the flippers, the fairy behind the waterfall et cetera just by being curious and exploring, and when simply gaining access to a dungeon's entrance could be tricky. In Zelda games these days you're guided to every item and dungeon by unnecessary cutscenes and companions and whatnot, and you have to do all the dungeons in a certain order.

Improved combat and increased item variation would be nice, too.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Icemael said:
    " I would actually like less story in Zelda games. Less hand-holding, too. More exploration is what the series needs. I remember in A Link to the Past when I found the ice rod, the flippers, the fairy behind the waterfall et cetera just by being curious and exploring, and when simply gaining access to a dungeon's entrance could be tricky. In Zelda games these days you're guided to every item and dungeon by unnecessary cutscenes and companions and whatnot, and you have to do all the dungeons in a certain order.

Improved combat and increased item variation would be nice, too.
    "

I'm all for that. The only problem I have with Zelda is that it's gotten a bit too easy, but it's also a perfect entry level game for that reason.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#27  Edited By galiant

The first Zelda game I played to completion was Twilight Princess. Darksiders was a lot more enjoyable to me than TP ever was, and if Zelda games keep being more of the same then count me out. I'll play Darksiders 2 instead.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By Dalai

I'm not at all for a more mature Zelda... that's why Darksiders exists. But Zelda needs at least one game in the near future that shakes things up and not just adding more modern touches like voice acting, but throwing a wrench into the typical "Ganon kidnaps Zelda, Link saves the day" story. Make Zelda a playable character for a while, maybe just ignore Ganon altogether, or something else different to spice things up. What the series needs is another Zelda Gaiden.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hailinel
    @Dalai said:
    " I'm not at all for a more mature Zelda... that's why Darksiders exists. But Zelda needs at least one game in the near future that shakes things up and not just adding more modern touches like voice acting, but throwing a wrench into the typical "Ganon kidnaps Zelda, Link saves the day" story. Make Zelda a playable character for a while, maybe just ignore Ganon altogether, or something else different to spice things up. What the series needs is another Zelda Gaiden. "
    What exactly is more mature about Darksiders, aside from the blood and fourteen-year-old's vision of what an awesome apocalypse looks like?
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Hailinel said:

" @Dalai said:

" I'm not at all for a more mature Zelda... that's why Darksiders exists. But Zelda needs at least one game in the near future that shakes things up and not just adding more modern touches like voice acting, but throwing a wrench into the typical "Ganon kidnaps Zelda, Link saves the day" story. Make Zelda a playable character for a while, maybe just ignore Ganon altogether, or something else different to spice things up. What the series needs is another Zelda Gaiden. "

What exactly is more mature about Darksiders, aside from the blood and fourteen-year-old's vision of what an awesome apocalypse looks like? "
    Yeah, I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but I'm genuinely interested, because I don't understand it. I love Zelda and played Darksiders because people said it was "the best Zelda" in years. When I played it, I thought it was a decent clone, but I don't know why everyone thought it was so great. I thought it did the same things with a cheesy tone and style, but with more of a "God of War" method of combat and less rewarding puzzles. Can you explain what you liked more about it than Twilight Princess?
    @Dalai said:

" What the series needs is another Zelda Gaiden. "

Absolutely. So far, that's what Skyward Sword seems like it might be. It takes place before Ocarina, so Ganondorf isn't the King of Evil or anything yet, and it doesn't take place in Hyrule. Unless it's a bait-and-switch like Twilight Princess, it seems like this upcoming game won't have Ganon or Zelda as main story points (though I'm sure there will be a reference or two, somehow).
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dalai
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Dalai said:
    What exactly is more mature about Darksiders, aside from the blood and fourteen-year-old's vision of what an awesome apocalypse looks like? "
    You pretty much answered your own question.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hailinel
    @Dalai said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Dalai said:
    You pretty much answered your own question. "
    And it would be an acceptable answer, if I were still fourteen.  I'd appreciate a better answer than that.
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vexxan
    @GlenTennis said:
    And while I would love a more mature Zelda for me, it's not in the cards. I will still play Zelda games, but I will play them for what they are. A way for kids to start loving video games. "
    Well said, I too love Zelda games for what they are. I don't want them to change, I don't want Link to talk or the story to evolve into something deeper. I just wanna play some fucking Legend of Zelda.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dalai
    @Hailinel: I don't think I can give you a different answer than I already have. I guess when I say "mature" I mean it in the way the ESRB calls a game mature and how some would envision a mature Zelda (blades bleeding and all that nonsense.) Nevertheless, I would never accept a Zelda game that tries to mimic Darksiders in any way. Darksiders is just fine for what it is, but it can't compare to Zelda and that history.
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By benpack
    @Video_Game_King: Let's say your favorite food is Pepperoni Pizza. You eat it Monday, and you love it. You eat it Tuesday, and you love it. You go on and on eating Pepperoni Pizza, until you start eating something else. Then you decide you're going to order Pizza. Don't you want to try a new kind of Pizza? Most people do. Also why the hell am I capitalizing Pepperoni Pizza? I don't know, but I'm too lazy to go back and correct it.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @GlenTennis:

Cheese pizza all the way. Don't go dressing up my pizza like some common whore! (Why am I in two simultaneous pizza conversations?)

I don't exactly see why trying another food should affect my love for pizza. After all, the pizza's gonna be the same, right? It's not like anything that would affect my love has changed. Not even the knowledge that there are other foods could affect this. To jump out of the analogy, I'm pretty sure that people who play Mario and Zelda and Pokémon and Mega Man and Dragon Quest games are aware that there are more games than those in the Mario/Zelda/Pokémon/Mega Man/Dragon Quest series.
    NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NegativeCero

I'm actually one of those kids who didn't grow up with Zelda and you're pretty close since my first one was Wind Waker, which I actually recently finished and really liked. I'm also playing through the GBA version of LttP, but have been going through it very slowly over several years (almost done, 3 more crystals to collect). So clearly I'm not exactly qualified to answer what I would change, nor would I say I've had that "Zelda moment" yet. Maybe I missed the boat on that one, but who knows, the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time might be it though. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho

I feel like the element of exploration is still a big part of Zelda. Problem is the payoff. Its a rupee or a heart piece. I wouldn't be opposed to secret tools found in secret caves that give you access to even secreter caves, that lead to a secret boss fight that gives you a secretest armor. Know what I mean? TP sort of had that, I wanna say you could go through the whole game without finding beetle bombs or the dungeon where they're needed. But yeah. More of that. The issue of cumbersome inventory can be solved several ways including having another character (Shiek) or splitting the game (light world dark world, past future, etc). The Zelda series has a habbit of coming up with an inventive idea, or multiple, per game, then they're never seen again. Why not build them. Why not have a game with time travel, a dark world, transforming masks, a ship, and a hat that shrinks you? How much ridiculous secret shit could be crammed into a game juggling all of that at once?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.