Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

"Zelda Fatigue"

• 57 results
    BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@posh said:

I feel like a lot of people are missing my point... I'm aware that a bunch of people are tired of zelda games now, the part I still don't get is how zelda is really that iterative in the grand scheme of things, especially when compared to the character action genre, or the FPS genre for example

I mean, I agree that FPS is basically a case of punctuated equilibrium, where there is little significant change for extended periods, then something comes along and changes the whole paradigm, then it's back to everything copying that for a while. DOOM then a bunch of DOOM clones, Quake then a bunch of Quake clones, Half-Life 1 and 2 were harder to clone but people did it to an extent, or at least everybody was making singleplayer FPSs with a story and more realistic environment for a bit. Halo was the template for console shooters in a lot of ways, until Modern Warfare replaced it.

But I think Zelda as a series is just as stagnant as FPS as a genre and character action as a genre. And even worse, while FPS can't really apply lessons from other genres very well to itself, Zelda could be taking improvements from other games within the fantasy action adventure thing genre (Dark Souls, Darksiders, Okami, etc.), but kinda isn't.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

I thought Twilight Princess felt like a rehash of several elements from earlier games, but aside from that I completely agree. I didn't love Skyward Sword but I thought it was pretty solid and felt different from earlier titles.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Agree with you. Even though Skyward Sword failed to meet my expectations when I first tried to play it in 2011 (both my standards being to high and parts of the game being absolute shit). Now that I know what to expect, I'm enjoying it way more, except the desert because fuck that place.

A new zelda game every few years is perfectly fine, if it was every year I would be annoyed.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

This

The only thing I hate is the long stretches of dull tutorials in the first (couple of!) hours and the long expository dialogue from "companion" characters like Phi. Maybe I'd prefer a higher difficulty too (combat AND puzzles). But I still enjoy the main formula.

And this

@extomar said:

"Zelda Fatigue" isn't exclusive to this series where it is treating the situation as "No this is an exciting new thing" but then the end result is the same thing again.

Given today's tech I would love to see the whole Legend of Zelda in other situations. What we need is a modern Zelda 2 to help "shake things up".

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Yeah I dunno. There's more innovation from one zelda to the next than most long-running franchises I can think of.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I think Nintendo milks all their series equally so I don't think anyone should get singled out. Though the Mario character gets milked the most due to him being everywhere. As for Zelda specifically it's hard to say. With the Exception of Links Awakening DX for my gameboy colour and Twilight Princess I have never enjoyed a Zelda game. So I'm looking forward to seeing this new 3DS game if it will bring that enjoyment back for me.

drevik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By drevik

I just have console fatigue. I love Zelda but I'm tired of my limited choice of controls. If they ever start making Zelda for PC, I'll buy them all and catch up on the Zelda games I haven't been able to play yet.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The method of traversal and the gadgets may change, but the overall formula hasn't changed at all since OoT. It'd be like watching a series of films where the set pieces and actors change, but the plot is exactly the same every time.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#60  Edited By Slag

@posh said:

but I feel like I'm in the minority now by thinking that the games are just as good as they always have been.

Same here. Hell, I consider Skyward Sword to be one of the better entries in the series (love the atmosphere). Then again, I am of the opinion that Zelda fatigue is a self-inflicted illness, sort of like this.

one thing you have to consider is the type of people who post here, most of which are likely passionate gamers who have likely played a lot of game by the time they join the forum. Most people get tired of the same formulas once they've seen them a few times. It's easy to mix up your own feelings for what you believe a series is doing.

Zelda has definitely lost its' freshness to me, but I've been playing the series for two decades and I've played probably over a 1000 different video games in my life. I'm not sure any game series wouldn't lose some of its' appeal me over that time period. If I were just starting out gaming, I'm sure I'd think Zelda is pretty dang great because it still is. Where once it might have been a 5/5 series every iteration, I don't think objectively it's any worse than a 4/5 now. The competition however for it is much better than used to be which I think makes it feel "less special" than it used to if you know what I mean.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@slag:

I like my ATHF reference better :P.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.