Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda

Franchise »

Nintendo's flagship fantasy action-adventure series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka in 1985, the Zelda series is the source of many revolutionary gameplay conventions, and continues to be one of the most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises of all time.

Zelda official timeline revealed?

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mutha3

So yeah, remember that whole Zelda timeline thing which Nintendo claimed they would never ever publicly reveal? Well, that official Hyrule Historia artbook apparently revealed it. Here's a helpful image transcribing it:

No Caption Provided

Fans had mostly figured it out. The only thing which goes against common fan theories is the part where Ocarina causes a three time split, one is obviously caused by Link returning to his own timeline to warn the king of Ganondorf(Majora's mask>Twilight Princess), the other is the future world that gets left behind after Link returns to his own time(which leads to Wind Waker happening), and the last, which is what fans have always failed to take into account, is the possibility that a game-over might cause a split as well. Everything that happens from ALTTP to TLOZ2 is if Link fails to beat Ganon and he gains the triforce. This explains why Ganondorf never shows up in the earlier games.(translation:retconning motherfuckers!)

The artbook expands more on it and apparently gives detailed back-story behind the way these games connect. Keep in mind that this is translated by an internet guy so it might turn out to be BS, though its not very likely.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5869993/this-might-actually-be-the-official-zelda-timeline?tag=zelda

Edit: ah, shit double thread. Can a mod delete the other?
    Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Chemin

Interesting. Especially the new path.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c69b4d231869
    deactivated-5c69b4d231869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think I cared about this once, but then I heard the wonderful explanation in the vein of Joesph Campbell: it's the same story being retold over and over with the same archetypes and themes.

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By thornie_delete

The only path worth a damn is the one that branches from Ocarina to the far left.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mutha3
    @thornie said:

The only path worth a damn is the one that branches from Ocarina to the far left.

But, Majora's Mask is objectively the best Zelda game, soooooooooooo......
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TentPole

@mutha3 said:

@thornie said:

Poopy, poop game. Stinky

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cloudenvy

@TentPole said:

@mutha3 said:

@thornie said:

Poopy, poop game. Stinky

It's on now.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mutha3
    @TentPole said:

@mutha3 said:

@thornie said:

Poopy, poop game. Stinky

If Majora's Mask, a bastion of good game design, rightfully recognized as one of gaming's greatest treasures by people of superior taste(Such as I.) is a "poopy, poop game." 

Well....I'm to scared to think of what that might imply about the rest of this medium!
    jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jking47

Majoras mask is definitely NOT the "objectively" best zelda game, the hell did you pull that from? I may have been a bit younger and dumber at the time, but the most memorable thing in that game is the bullshit time limit. I don't want to be forced into doing the main quest on a time limit in a zelda game, I want to explore the world and find all the side stuff without worrying about using some song that lets me keep playing the game.

Now, Majoras Mask could be your favorite zelda game, that I would have no issue with. However, trying to call it the objectively "best" game just shows your bias.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Gerhabio

@thornie said:

The only paths worth a damn are the ones that branch from Ocarina to the left and right.

Fixed that for you.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mutha3
    @jking47 said:

Majoras mask is definitely NOT the "objectively" best zelda game,

No shit, I was just playing off what that dude said and shared my opinion in a jokingly manner.  Trying to quantify a videogame's worth "objectively" is a very silly thing to do either way.

I do think its the best Zelda game, though, with the tightest dungeon design and most well implemented gameplay mechanics(its also my favorite). But this is hardly the topic to be talking about that, moving on!

@Gerhabio

said:

@thornie said:

The only paths worth a damn are the ones that branch from Ocarina to the far left and far right.

Fixed that for you.

>:|
    jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jking47

@mutha3: Gah, my internet senses are dulled, long day at work. Didn't mean to snap but when people try to say one game is objectively better it gets on my nerves, should have known it was a joke (X.X)

Anyways, back on topic, this is kinda interesting, and seems like it fits. Too bad nintendo would never confirm it.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aus_azn

@Gerhabio said:

@thornie said:

The only paths worth a damn are the ones that branch from Ocarina to the left and center.

Fixed that for you.

Re-fixed. I just thought the WW timeline was completely "WTF". The only Zelda games that I could not actually bother to complete.

I don't even understand how they pulled the 3-timeline thing. I always thought it was two, due to the OoT time warp, merging the center and right timelines.

PS: I loved Majora's Mask. Don't know if that means anything, just putting it out there.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, somebody was mapping this out the whole time? And THIS isn't canon:

What the fuck?

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By CountMacula

The three timeline thing makes no sense. All of those games could easily branch off based on a simple game over screen, I have no idea 1) why Ocarina is the only one that it matters for 2) why LttP can't continue on from FSA (or TP)....

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Putting the Zelda games into a timeline simply doesn't really make much sense, I have always felt like the Zelda games were variations on the same story about a young adventurer, as told by random people you meet in an inn or pub.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#17  Edited By Hector

Good thing I saw this I was about to post. The timeline seems to work. Never thought about a three way split.. hmmm interesting.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mutha3
    @CountMacula said:

The three timeline thing makes no sense. All of those games could easily branch off based on a simple game over screen,

They could, I guess, but there haven't been any Zelda games that takes place in those alternate realities are there?  ;)  

2) why LttP can't continue on from FSA (or TP)....

This explains the lack of Ganondorf in earlier games. There seems to be a much more detailed description of why this timeline is set-up like this in the artbook. Just gotta wait until some crazy internet person translates it.

@Village_Guy said:

Putting the Zelda games into a timeline simply doesn't really make much sense,

Why? I understand having held the perspective of "a hero with a thousand faces", but since Wind Waker the games have been directly referencing each other more and more. Also: Direct sequels.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By damswedon

It is actually one hero we are just hearing different culture's take on the story.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FreakAche

@Village_Guy said:

Putting the Zelda games into a timeline simply doesn't really make much sense, I have always felt like the Zelda games were variations on the same story about a young adventurer, as told by random people you meet in an inn or pub.

While I personally do prefer the variations on one legend theory, Nintendo has been saying for quite a long time now (since LttP I think) that there is a timeline.

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CountMacula

@mutha3 said:

2) why LttP can't continue on from FSA (or TP)....

This explains the lack of Ganondorf in earlier games.

Ganondorf was in the very first one on the NES....

Anyway my original point was that since the third split from OoT was such a stretch, and that there was no immediate reason why the LttP timeline couldn't take place after the TP one, why weren't they just merged?

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

As long as Wind Waker still fits in there somewhere, I'm happy.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mutha3
    @CountMacula said:

....? No he wasn't.

No Caption Provided

regular ol' ganon!
    @CountMacula said:

Anyway my original point was that since the third split from OoT was such a stretch, and that there was no immediate reason why the LttP timeline couldn't take place after the TP one, why weren't they just merged?

Well, the presence of Ganon as a seperate being is one of those reasons. In every other mentioned Zelda game after Ocarina that isn't a part of the left branch, the end villain is either: Ganondorf, a new enemy  or Ganondorf succeeding in becoming Ganon.....and then being stopped and reverted to his original form. In all of the games on the left side, Ganondorf doesn't exist anymore(translation: hadn't been designed yet).

Also, I'm a little behind on my Zelda lore! Lets wait until the full explanation gets translated before we dissect this....
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By DeeGee

@FreakAche said:

@Village_Guy said:

While I personally do prefer the variations on one legend theory, Nintendo has been saying for quite a long time now (since LttP I think) that there is a timeline.

Both of you guys need to play Skyward Sword.

They aren't joking when they say that game reveals a bunch of mythology stuff, including the answer to if it's one story being retold or not.

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

This just blew my mind.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mutha3
    @CountMacula: Also, the split explains(read:justifies) why only the imprisoning war(Ocarina of Time) is mentioned as Ganon's origin/treated as the first time he's appeared. Because to the ALTTP timeline-- it was.
    CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CountMacula

@mutha3 said:

@CountMacula said:

....? No he wasn't.
    No Caption Provided

regular ol' ganon!
    snip!
    Lets wait until the full explanation gets translated before we dissect this....

Listen, your facts and reasonableness have no place on the internet, clearly the only way you can make headway in this discussion would be to imply (or explicitly state) that you had engaged in coitus with my mother, and yet you insist on bringing logic to the table? How rude! :-P

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cloudenvy

I swear my head splits open every time I hear about this, I have spent waaaaaaaaaaaay too much time researching the timeline.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Shady

Did Miyamoto take the sacred timeline out of the vault to show it to us plebes?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xyzygy

I personally like the Wind Waker timeline the best. I like how you are sailing over the old world. It adds a sense of sadness to that branch. 

But I'm not really understanding the left branch. If Link doesn't beat Ganon, isn't he killed? And what do you mean he finds the triforce? At the end of LTTP he finds it but he beats ganon. I get the other two branches but not this explanation.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By Tackchevy

Cute timeline. Doesn't really add any value though.... Going back and replaying zelda II and thinking to myself: "Self, this is the end of the OOT game-over timeline... EPIC!!!1" isn't going to really change the experience for better or worse.

Fun, but pointless. Like my nipples.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cloudenvy

@xyzygy: By finds the triforce, I think he means that Ganondorf finds the triforce since Link fails to stop him, this explains why Ganondorf is never seen in the earlier games.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#33  Edited By pyromagnestir

If that were on a shirt I'd buy it. Although I'm not really sure why there needs to be an actual linear timeline for Zelda. And how do we get from Majora to TP? I can't remember either game well enough to figure that out. And also I'm now on amazon looking up the Oracle games because I have a disease.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mutha3
    @CountMacula said:

Listen, your facts and reasonableness have no place on the internet, clearly the only way you can make headway in this discussion would be to imply (or explicitly state) that you had engaged in coitus with my mother, and yet you insist on bringing logic to the table? How rude! :-P

Oh my, I thought the subtle implications in my post made it clear....Subtlety has no place on Giantbomb, I suppose.

Well then, CountMacula, I fucked your mother.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mutha3
    @xyzygy said:

. If Link doesn't beat Ganon, isn't he killed?

Yes. Not the same Link as the others, though?

If you're referencing the "every Link is a descendant of the last" thing:

1) who says he didn't bone Zelda off-screen?
    2) Miyamoto or Aunoma (don't remember which!)explicitly said in a interview, that while every Zelda is a descendant of the others, Link is just a random boy who picks up a sword and rises to greatness every time.

@pyromagnestir

said:

If that were on a shirt, I'd buy it. Although I'm not really sure why there needs to be an actual linear timeline for Zelda. And how do we get from Majora to TP? I can't remember either game well enough to figure that out. And also I'm now on amazon looking up the Oracle games because I have a disease.

Majora's Mask Link is Ocarina of Time Link, after he goes of on an adventure in a distant land.

Twilight Princess Link, is a new Link several hundred years later. Because Link warned the king in time at the end of OOT, the sages imprisoned Ganondorf on Arbiters grounds for hundreds of year, until he broke free and started TP.
    Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gerhabio

@Aus_azn said:

@Gerhabio said:

@thornie said:

The only paths worth a damn are the ones that branch from Ocarina to the left and center.

Fixed that for you.

Re-fixed. I just thought the WW timeline was completely "WTF". The only Zelda games that I could not actually bother to complete.

I don't even understand how they pulled the 3-timeline thing. I always thought it was two, due to the OoT time warp, merging the center and right timelines.

PS: I loved Majora's Mask. Don't know if that means anything, just putting it out there.

It's pretty crazy to me that there's been such as a thing as a time warp and parallel universes sci-fi insanity in my Zelda all along.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I feel a tad underwhelmed but I'm still surprised they actually released this and it's still pretty cool. Also, I think this is obligatory at this point.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#38  Edited By fox01313

Two different timelines can make sense (one following event conclusions going down one path while the other timeline follows the other choice), three just doesn't make sense to me as it opens up so many other choices that can happen so instead of 3 different timelines you can have mutliple numbers of timelines in every direction. Face it, when they are making the Zelda games they either A. have no clue on where it is in any kind of timeline or B. just trying to remake the first one with new mechanics or C. WTF who knows...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By Animasta

only timeline I want to see is the SMT timeline

bloodlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By bloodlines

The Zelda time line is confusing, but at least Skyward Sword is the begin. And found and old AVGN video about it too.

Edit: Couldn't link it damn it. Well here it is anyway http://cinemassacre.com/2008/01/08/chronologically-confused-about-the-legend-of-zelda-timeline/

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mutha3
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By Animasta

@mutha3 said:

@Animasta said:

only timeline I want to see is the SMT timeline

there are timelineS, though (most of them diverge from the different endings of devil summoner 2, as most people believe).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.