Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

The game is an action RPG featuring cooperative multiplayer developed by Snowblind Studios under the Lord of the Rings license. The game draws on both literary and movie influences to tell the story of three warriors fighting in the North of Middle Earth concurrently with the events of the books/movies.

I'm a few hours in....

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By ki11tank

It's hack and slash alright.

Essentially you go from zone to zone via a large map and hack and slash crawl as you would assume. Even every zone has a lot of instanced areas, which is kind of a drag but not game breaking.

The combat feels decent and looks cool, arrows stay in enemies and blood is fantastic. You also do get some cooler abilities as you level with character customization and tons of looting. You will upgrade a piece or two per zone if i had to guess and play and gear only the character you are playing at the time.

It's pretty fun and challenging on harder difficulties, the bosses with a lot of low end mobs with them can be quite hard. It's worth a play but not over Uncharted 3 or Battlefield 3 if you don't want a break from them.

Feel kinda bad that they released this game right now, I feel like it would do better not lined up against the AAA titles because it's a decent game but not AAA.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bybeach

That is the vibe I got about it. I have no interest for this game, yet I was pulling for it, because it sounded like Snowblind was making something good that many were predicting meh about. And while I am not big about fantasy, I like Lord of the Rings and it's world. I even have the Simmarillon, a compilation of Tolkien short stories of the legends mentioned in the LotR trilogy and The Hobbit.

The truth shook out in the middle, and you are right, not good against real AAA competition.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Hitchenson

I get they're different, but it seems like such a massive mistake to put this out between Dark Souls and Skyrim.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ki11tank

Had to have put a couple more hours in by now and I gotta say it get's better, combat is actually pretty fluid, a little shallow but timing becomes important so it's still fun.

You see all the favorite LOTR characters and you are doing your part while the the others try and destroy the ring, pretty cool shit.

Really too bad this is getting drown out by block busters right now, oh well, they obviously had to have their reasons.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By senorfuzzeh

Its better than I thought It would be, right before you get to misty mountian it starts to feel like lord of the rings, with tis tall brown grass and orcs attacking you and a Troll every now and then it feels cool. I would hate to play this game alone though.

Also I agree, I feel like no body is really going to pick this game up, which is sad because they obviously put work into it.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Giefcookie

Seems like a decent game coming out at the absolute wrong time.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

So for less then full price I'm gonna have an amazing co op blast next year? Awesome.

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mewarmo990

Agree with the sentiment in this thread. There's clearly a good amount of work into this, and the polish shows, but this was not a good release window. I still really enjoyed the game.

It'll be more than worth it during the post-holiday sales, though.

Avatar image for spawnhellraiser
    SpawnHellraiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By SpawnHellraiser

I'm on Chapter 3 right now and I do like the game but the AI is at times difficult. For example, why does it take so many hits to take down puny enemies? It takes like 5-6 hits, but to take me down takes like 4. In the area of the walking dead, I would cut off the heads of the zombies and they are still trying to attack. Like WTH? Leveling up doesn't seem like it does much against the enemies. I have just as hard of a time when I first started the game till now when I'm level 13.

Does anybody else have this same issue?

MrMcJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By MrMcJerk

I've never played a buggier game in my life.

That being said, it is otherwise a lot of fun. Interesting loot, some cool abilities, and giant eagles all help.

But seriously, painfully, at times cripplingly buggy.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Deusx

@slacker4life said:

It's hack and slash alright.

Essentially you go from zone to zone via a large map and hack and slash crawl as you would assume. Even every zone has a lot of instanced areas, which is kind of a drag but not game breaking.

The combat feels decent and looks cool, arrows stay in enemies and blood is fantastic. You also do get some cooler abilities as you level with character customization and tons of looting. You will upgrade a piece or two per zone if i had to guess and play and gear only the character you are playing at the time.

It's pretty fun and challenging on harder difficulties, the bosses with a lot of low end mobs with them can be quite hard. It's worth a play but not over Uncharted 3 or Battlefield 3 if you don't want a break from them.

Feel kinda bad that they released this game right now, I feel like it would do better not lined up against the AAA titles because it's a decent game but not AAA.

Is it better than Dragon Age 2 or is it a completely different kind of game? For what I saw in the quicklook it is very similar. I like it but I'm not sure if I should buy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

I enjoyed the eight or so hours I put into it before Skyrim swooped in and took me away to its icy environs...

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ki11tank

@Deusx: had no interest in DA 2 as DA 1 wasn't blowing my mind and heard 2 was worse, but i honestly enjoyed War in the north, check my review out if you want my opinion, should give you a pretty good idea.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordukai

cool game that clearly needed more work.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By valrog

I just started playing today, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but... How do you sheathe your weapon? I'm playing on PC.

Habast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Habast

I wanted another couch co-op game to play with my brother like back in the old days with Dark Alliance and Champions. I had to decide between War in the North and Dungeon Siege III. I ended up going with the latter, but I am still interested in War in the North (mostly because it's LOTR). How does it stack up to Dungeon Siege III in your opinion?

I'm loving Dungeon Siege, by the way.

Neorecon19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Neorecon19

I'm two achievements from 100% the game, mostly because I keep forgetting to turn in the Lidless Eye Cult Scrolls through all the playthroughs...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.