Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Medium

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jan 28, 2021

The Medium is a psychological horror game developed by Bloober Team.

The Medium - Series X exclusive - has new gameplay footage

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The Medium was one of those big games that Microsoft showed off at their gaming event back in the day. Back then it looked pretty exciting with the central gimmick relying on your character occupying two worlds simultaneously. Now Bloober Team has released a 14 minute 4K demo of some gameplay from their upcoming horror game. I read their primary inspiration for this were Japanese horror classics like Siren and Silent Hill specifically. This really shows in the footage. One of the first scenes has a character looking at an item in a dilapidated building from behind bars which is a scene almost straight out of Silent Hill 2. That said.. ehh... this looks OK? I'm not a big horror guy but I was at least hoping that the "next gen" graphics would sway me. Maybe it's just the video and you have to see it in action but unlike footage from the new Demons Souls which looked simply amazing, this seems just kind of fine. I hesitate to say that it looks like a next-gen remaster of an oldschool game. The movement, animations, the interactions.. I think we have all come to sort of expect a bit more. When you press a button you want a character to press a button. When you interact with the environment you want there to be animation involved and not your character just waving their arm in a random direction to signify "action" taking place. At one point you cut a rope and it's a scene straight out of Resident Evil 2 where a big pair of cutters just pop in and a cutting animation takes place.

I dunno. I guess they are staying true to their design of this being a sort of homage to those classics. Take a look for yourself.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Game seems pretty interesting. I'd check it out.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

This game is coming out soon and reviews are supposed to be hitting tomorrow (Wednesday).

From the amount of interest this thread garnered last time I take it most people don't really care or even know what it is. Given that we've now entered the Q1 draught are maybe some of y'all that have Game Pass going to give this a chance purely out of boredom?

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ghost_cat

I'm into picking up a shoe and hear it scream in agony, but as soon as the kid popped up, I immediately lost interest.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm into it, i've enjoyed what i've played of their games in the past, but my PC specs just barely meet the minimum requirements(specifically my CPU) so personally i'm putting it in the back of my mind until I build a new system probably this summer(or more likely, buy a prebuilt system to actually get a 3070).

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm intrigued by this game. Think it has potential to be something special.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigsocrates  Online

If this reviews well I may check it out but I don't really like pure horror games because I don't enjoy being scared. I can enjoy games with horror themes (like Resident Evil or A Plague Tale: Innocence) but I just don't like being scared.

I've been on an adventure game kick recently, though, so if this has good puzzles or other gameplay I might check it out.

On the other hand I can't help but think of Murdered: Soul Suspect when I see this, since I played that game last year for whatever dumb reason.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Murdered: Soul Suspect in the last 5 years, but that game is not very good.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By brian_

I generally can not handle the anxiety that comes with the pure horror genre. No matter how many times I try to play the first hour of Dead Space, Outlast, Soma or what have you before having to force quit the game. I'd like to check this thing out, it sounds like it's doing some interesting stuff. I just hope it's not too spooky.

I'm also just curious to play it as an owner of a Series S, and see how that holds up against the Series X version.

morningcoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I managed to snag a Series X today (had to cancel a previous pre-order) and I have the game pre-loaded right now. I look forward to trying this game if I can tear myself away from Hitman.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With a Series X and Game Pass I will at least check it out(after I finish Final Fantasy 9 of course)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By liquiddragon  Online

Doesn’t it also play on Series S?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Doesn’t it also play on Series S?

Yes, the game will run on Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S. It will not however work on the Xbox One consoles.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since Game Pass is a thing, I’m going to give it a poke on both PC and Series X. I kinda hope it has at least some type of functional combat and puzzles, instead of being just like their previous games except in third-person.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.