Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Orange Box

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 09, 2007

The Orange Box is a video game compilation that packages Half-Life 2 (including Episode 1 and Episode 2), Team Fortress 2, and Portal into one.

365 Games To Play Before You Die - #83: Happy Birthday Orange Box

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Edited By mracoon

365 Games To Play Before You Die

Today is October 10th 2009 and that it means it's been two years since the release of one of the best deals in gaming history: The Orange Box.

Previous 5 Games

Full List

No Caption Provided

#83: The Orange Box

Platform(s): PC, Xbox 360 and PS3
    Release: 2007
    Developer(s): Valve and EA (PS3 version only)
    Best Quote: N/A
    GB Wiki Page

Valve really outdid themselves with this one. I mean what other company has released 5 amazing games for the same price as a single retail game? With The Orange Box you get 3 brand new games and 2 old gems: Half-Life 2, HL2: Ep1, HL2: Ep2, Portal and Team Fortress 2. Now that is value for money.

While Orange Box itself isn't actually a game and really just a compilation (although on 360 and PS3 it's the only way you can play some of the games) I had to include it on this list for what it represents. It shows that you can give fans (and gamers in general) a good deal and if you do it they'll buy your game. In a time where the likes of Activision feel the need to extort consumers with every passing release it's nice to know that some companies know who's loyal to them and want to keep them happy.

Ironically Orange Box ended up being a double-edged sword for Valve because when Left 4 Dead came out people now had unreasonable expectations of it coming with other games or being at a low price. I personally felt that TF2 or even Episode 2 could have been full price games if you compared them to other titles which cost that amount, but Valve chose to keep them at low costs and that's why I love them.

Also all the games in The Orange Box are going to appear on my list so tomorrow I'll do TF2, then the next I'll do Portal and then after that I'll do Episode 2. Half-Life 2 will have to wait until the anniversary of it's release (which I think is in November) before it gets a blog of it's own.

83 down 282 to go.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By mracoon

365 Games To Play Before You Die

Today is October 10th 2009 and that it means it's been two years since the release of one of the best deals in gaming history: The Orange Box.

Previous 5 Games

Full List

No Caption Provided

#83: The Orange Box

Platform(s): PC, Xbox 360 and PS3
    Release: 2007
    Developer(s): Valve and EA (PS3 version only)
    Best Quote: N/A
    GB Wiki Page

Valve really outdid themselves with this one. I mean what other company has released 5 amazing games for the same price as a single retail game? With The Orange Box you get 3 brand new games and 2 old gems: Half-Life 2, HL2: Ep1, HL2: Ep2, Portal and Team Fortress 2. Now that is value for money.

While Orange Box itself isn't actually a game and really just a compilation (although on 360 and PS3 it's the only way you can play some of the games) I had to include it on this list for what it represents. It shows that you can give fans (and gamers in general) a good deal and if you do it they'll buy your game. In a time where the likes of Activision feel the need to extort consumers with every passing release it's nice to know that some companies know who's loyal to them and want to keep them happy.

Ironically Orange Box ended up being a double-edged sword for Valve because when Left 4 Dead came out people now had unreasonable expectations of it coming with other games or being at a low price. I personally felt that TF2 or even Episode 2 could have been full price games if you compared them to other titles which cost that amount, but Valve chose to keep them at low costs and that's why I love them.

Also all the games in The Orange Box are going to appear on my list so tomorrow I'll do TF2, then the next I'll do Portal and then after that I'll do Episode 2. Half-Life 2 will have to wait until the anniversary of it's release (which I think is in November) before it gets a blog of it's own.

83 down 282 to go.
    Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xandurson

HELL YES!

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Red

I'm playing Half Life 2 for the first time right now, and it's an incredible game.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan

I just purchased Orange Box for the second time on Steam.  Playing Half-Life on a console feels wrong.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Scooper

I actualy went through HL2 again during the last couple days and finished it a couple hours ago. It's still incredible.

I can't believe it's been 2 years since TF2 was released. That game's still got a huge community on PC because they're STILL releasing free content for it! They really need to finish updating the Soldier, Demoman and Engineer so every class is balanced with their new weapons and also so they can roll all of it out as DLC or whatever for 360 but at this point there isn't really any reason to update the 360 version and charge for it with the amount of people who still play it on 360...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.