Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Orange Box

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 09, 2007

The Orange Box is a video game compilation that packages Half-Life 2 (including Episode 1 and Episode 2), Team Fortress 2, and Portal into one.

Which is the best game for Orange Box?

marcusfriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By marcusfriendly
    I was wonder wahat is good on the orange box?
    this looks really good!
    this looks really good!
    Smithy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Smithy

TF2 is the best followed by Portal... or..?

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Karmum

All of them were great -- but TF2 would probably give me the most replay value, out of them all.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Yit

I'd say TF2, Portal, Half-Life 2, Episode 2, Episode 1, in that order.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Coltonio7
    Yit said:
    "I'd say TF2, Portal, Half-Life 2, Episode 2, Episode 1, in that order."
    Yit and I share the same mind.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Snail

With no doubt Portal. It made famous the expression "The cake is a lie" and has the best humor that has ever been seen on a videogame.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

Real toss up between Portal and TF2. Had a lot of fun playing both for entirely different reasons.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MKHavoc

I'd say Half-Life 2.  If you're getting this for Team Fortress then get the PC version.  I tried playing it on the 360 a few months ago and it was really hard to find people to play with.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AaronBelfast

Half Life 2. Playing TF2 on my PS3 wasn't as much fun. I played TF2 on my PC beforehand, before I had to give it back to my friend.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Demyx

TF2 on PS3 isn't much fun.

I did like Portal and Half Life 2 the most.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Half Life.

Screw the rest to hell.
    cjmhockey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cjmhockey

I'd have to say Team Fortress 2 just because of the multiplayer which I played to death. Then it would be Portal followed by Half-Life 2 and both episodes. The Orange Box was worth every penny.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shadows_kill

portal

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pause422

I would say HL2 and episode 2, then TF2 , for me.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By jakob187

Portal.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kush

I personally loved Episode 2 the most...I thought Episode 2 was absolutely brilliant.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Psynapse
    Yit said:

Yeps i agree, that order
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24

Portal, TF2, HL2, Episode 2, Episode 1.  Those are my favorites.  TF2 probably has the most replay value, so that is definitely an understandable pick for some.  Half Life 2 is also one of my favorite games ever, so no disrespect to that either.

marcusfriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By marcusfriendly

I personally like portal.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#20  Edited By Vinchenzo
    marcusfriendly said:
    "I personally like portal."
    You personally like bumping all three of your threads within minutes of each other.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By BoG

marcusfriendly: If you are going to bump a post of yours, you could do a lot more then restate what you said in the OP. A restatement is no better then "bump," and does not promote discussion. If you feel your topic has not sufficiently been discussed, add something, don't bump the thread and hope someone else will.
    Vinchenzo: It is not necessary to point out when someone bumps their own topics.

On topic...
    That is a difficult question, and I'm surprised it had never crossed my mind before. It is a challenge simply deciding whether or not to group Half-Life 2 and each episode as one game, or to include Half-Life 2 at all. If Half-Life 2 is considered in the running, then no doubt in my mind that it is the premiere title in The Orange Box. However, as the game was truly released before the other titles, I'll limit my considerations to the three games initially released only as a part of The Orange Box: Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 3, and Portal.
    Unfortunately, it is no less arduous for me to name one of those three as best, as each is a magnificent game. It is a very close contest, but I'm going to say Team Fortress 2. The game breaks the mold with its fun, creative visual style, an aspect which I love. The only other "cartoony" first-person title I can recall is XIII, which was a disappointment to me as the environments and characters were so bland despite the visual style. The art design is fantastic, each of the characters designs fun and memorable, yet effective. You can count on Valve to analyze something as trivial as the shape of each character when considering the player's though process and game experience. Team Fortress 2 is packed full of memorable one-liners (similar to Portal), plenty of fun easter eggs, and other personality quirks.
     It really comes down to gameplay, however, and TF2 gets it right. You won't find a more balanced FPS anywhere, as each class is constantly changing, and Valve is listening to the community, fixing every problem along the way. Not to mention, they consistently add new content to expand the experience. The source engine is as tight as always, as are controls and weapon functions. You also must love the variety the class system brings, each class providing a different gameplay experience, yet never sacrificing fun factor.
    I love each member of the Orange Box, but Team Fortress 2 will likely eat up hundreds of hours of my life over the next decade, and is my favorite of the three.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Not counting HL2 or Episode one...

Episode two is just AMAZING and by far the best game of The Orange Box.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By BoG
    PapaLazarou said:
    "Not counting HL2 or Episode one...

Episode two is just AMAZING and by far the best game of The Orange Box."
    Without spoiling anything, the ending simply blew my mind. Episode 1 was light on the story, and ended in a cliffhanger that got me anticipating Episode 2. Episode 2 ended in a way that did create anticipation, rather, I need Episode 3 as soon as I can get it. One of the best cliffhangers in the history of storytelling, no doubt.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Snail
    BoG said:
    "PapaLazarou said:
    "Not counting HL2 or Episode one...

Episode two is just AMAZING and by far the best game of The Orange Box."
    Without spoiling anything, the ending simply blew my mind. Episode 1 was light on the story, and ended in a cliffhanger that got me anticipating Episode 2. Episode 2 ended in a way that did create anticipation, rather, I need Episode 3 as soon as I can get it. One of the best cliffhangers in the history of storytelling, no doubt."
    Ladies and gents, BoG is back from the dead (I mean banned)!
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kush
    BoG said:
    "Without spoiling anything, the ending simply blew my mind. Episode 1 was light on the story, and ended in a cliffhanger that got me anticipating Episode 2. Episode 2 ended in a way that did create anticipation, rather, I need Episode 3 as soon as I can get it. One of the best cliffhangers in the history of storytelling, no doubt."
    I can't agree more...the ending to Episode 2 is honestly one of the best endings I've ever seen in a game. It immediately left me wanting more and wanting EP3 right away. That sort of sucks though since EP3 still isn't out and won't be out for some time...If you want to rewatch the ending...I posted it a while ago HERE.
    jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By jNerd
    Yit said:
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

What made Episode Two for me was how it had everything that made Half-Life great packed into  tight 6 hour package and then improved previous games with the storytelling and trying new things out like the achievements of trying to carry a gnome throughout the game and launching him in the rocket. I also thought the open ended nature of th Strider level was kool and the physics used in the in game cutscenes were great.

Episode Two was just the best Half-Life game to date and it's a shame that it got ignored.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half -life 2 and episodes is the best game on there, tho portal is the most original, and TF2 has the best replay value, 

Yeah orange box is awesome.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#29  Edited By citizenkane
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

From the sounds of that caption, it seems you are debating whether or not to even purchase the Orange Box--there is no question about it, you should buy this immediately. 

I feel Half-Life 2 is probably the most complete (read: well-rounded) game of the lot.  It plays tightly, is wholly satisfying, and gives the player a little bit of everything during it's ten-hour run.  Portal is gorgeous, both in style and substance; it really elevates the idea of a puzzle game.  Valve's strength, as seen in Portal, is the ability to seamlessly blend genres, concocting a new breed of game from the archetypes of the disparate genres they mold together.

Team Fortress 2 is a highly-balanced, highly-addictive multiplayer shooter.  The class structure creates a lot of depth and the humor never gets old.  The 360 version of TF2, however, has a tendency to bear latency problems and received none of the downloadable support that it PC counterpart did. 

Half-Life 2: Episode One is arguably the weakest game in the package.  Much of the game feels a little forced, and it relies too heavily on familiar scenery to stand on its own legs proudly.  The player has to trudge through some of the same environments of the first game, and there is little feeling that the plot is moving along at anything above a snail's crawl.  That said, it is still Half-Life 2's gameplay, and so the experience is worth having. 

Half-Life 2: Episode Two is, minute-for-minute, the most compelling piece of the Half-Life 2 framework.  The environments open up, the battles grow in size, there is a greater emphasis on adrenaline-focused, narrative fueled sequences, and the flow of the game is pitch perfect.  The player feels as though the stakes have really heightened, and the tension is palpable throughout the entire experience.    Also, the ending is crazy.  If you were unconscious of Valve's ability to develop characters, you will be reminded of it here.  Brilliance.  One of my favorite games (despite its six-hour length) of last year.  

GameFreak315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GameFreak315

Portal.  I've never been so consistently entertained with a game.  It's short, but that makes it easy to play through whenever I feel like it.  The dark humor works perfectly, and the lines are hysterical.  This is all on top of one of the most mine-blowing concepts to be introduced to gaming.  Needless to say, I'm a fan...and many of my friends who aren't gamers really enjoyed it as well.  :)

deaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deaux

Portal.  I had a blast with TF2, but Portal was so inventive, and had great design and humor to boot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.