Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Order: 1886

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 20, 2015

A third-person shooter set in a steampunk-themed alternate timeline, with a dash of the supernatural. Developed by Ready at Dawn Studios for the PlayStation 4.

Callin' it

• 71 results
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

@csl316 said:

Not every game has to have infinite replay value like Spelunky.

Spelunky objectively sucks: "No branching plot, character development, or meaningful choice"

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mbdoeden said:

@nodima said:

Personally, I want to see more games like this. I get that gameplay is what games are about, and hopefully this is fun enough for a first try, but I really think the seamlessness of the cutscenes to gameplay is going to make a pretty unique experience I'd hope to see more of in the future. I love gamey games but I've been wanting games to really figure out how to tackle narrative vs. gameplay in a meaningful way for a while and the tech behind this game is SUPER intriguing on that front. Unfortunately I'm not sure when I'll be able to buy the game, I'm suddenly a little financially unstable for the forseeable future.

I'm with you. Honestly, it's all subjective so I tend to avoid these threads but I have to add on to your point:

The older I get, the more I hate games that demand a ridiculous amount of my time. I (and some of my peers ) have reached the age where I have more money than time, and a well made, full priced, 5-7 hour narrative driven game sounds pretty fucking great.

You hit the nail on the head for me. I don't need every game to be open, requiring a grind, or fluffing its length with a big open world where you have to walk or drive between missions. A nice short story with high production values is perfect for me. I have a huge library of unnecessarily long games that I've never finished. Money isn't an issue for me personally, and a game like this is just what I want right now. I do get where people are coming from, I was broke a few years ago and hour per dollar was very important to me in a game. This game isn't for those people. That's what's great about games. There's something for everyone. I find it strange that people get so personally offended when a game simply isn't for them. I want a game to be entertaining for longer than it takes me to earn the money to buy it.

The last game that I beat was GTA5, and I was ready for it to be over a few hours before it ended. Outside of a few of my "go to" games, I don't need (or want) most games to be long. I'm looking forward to The Witcher 3, but I know it's something that will be a multi-month investment in my free time for the way that I play games. I won't be buying many long games in that time.

The outrage over The Order's length is very interesting. If the game is too short, then wait until it's cheap enough to be worth your money. Or just rent it. People act like they have to buy games at launch for $60. Things are only worth what people are willing to pay. I don't spend more than $30 on a meal, no matter how good it is. I don't complain that more expensive restaurants exist. They're not for me, and that is fine. Games are no different. Calm down, folks.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@beachthunder: Yuck, I want all those Spelunky hours back. What a piece of crap.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By LiquidPrince

You're calling things that Ready at Dawn has openly stated about the game. Not every game has to about player choice or open world design. There is nothing wrong with a strong linear story driven experience.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#55  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

That's fine if it is. I'll wait till it's discounted and enjoy it all the same.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

This reads like an non-satirical version of Rab Florence's "I haven't played this yet" review

More fun game is guessing the GB score for it.

If Jeff reviews: 2-3 stars. If it's 3, he'll have soured on it considerably by the end of the year, to the point where he hates it.

If Dan: 3

If Brad: 4

If Alex: 3

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By SomeJerk

Hey, people my age or nearing it. Remember when we joked about games becoming interactive movies when multi-media spec PCs started coming, and then how it went pretty mad with cut-scene rich JRPGs?

This is another step down that path. It's an interactive movie and by god I'm starting to think it should be priced like one.. $40 tops given playthrough-length averages and replay-value.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Marcsman

Nikolai Tesla developing the weapons alone is a good enough plotline for me.

Haters gonna hate

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who knows its not out yet, and when did well orchestrated games become bad?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By joshwent

@hollitz said:

This reads like an non-satirical version of Rab Florence's "I haven't played this yet" review

Wow. That is the best thing I've read in a while. Thanks for sharing!

I sometimes imagine when I'm reading threads here, if it's actually possible to have a site where folks discuss games without judging and arguing over every damn thing that's coming out. Where, "I am uninterested in this.", doesn't necessarily translate to, "Fuck this piece of shit game!!!".

Well, no. Probably not.

Why don't we bag on Jonathan Blow for his game, The Witness, alllegedly being 90 minutes long while we're at it?

Don't worry, we'll have to put up with all the same bullshit when that games comes out too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Oh man I had a terrible flashback to about three years ago when half the forum posts on the site were titled "Callin it _____" and about how every video game coming out that year was supposed to be terrible.

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
    deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, there's a place for games like The Order on occasion. Its actually arriving at a good time for me, because I havent played a cinematic shooter thingy in a while.

So weirdly enough, it almost seems refreshing compared to a lot of the kinds of games that Ive been playing lately.

Fortunately, The Order hasnt deeply wronged me like it apparently has for many others in the gaming community, so ill give it a shot when the price goes down.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pretty bold statements from OP. Haven't anything about this over the past 2 weeks. He's really stepping out on a limb here.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'm looking forward to a linear 8-10 hour game that I can sit and finish in 3 or 4 sittings. I probably won't buy it on release.

Yup, it is what it is.

In fact, I never remember the developer saying it was an 'open world sandbox' or 'pick your own adventure rpg' any other insanity people are making up to dig the game. If it sucks as a straight narrative adventure game - hey fine- then it is at least failing at what it is trying to do. But, people are making up reasons to hate it for what it isn't. I could even accept people saying, Yeah, I don't think this is what I want" thats cool, thats honest. Yet, let's sit back and see shall we before we kill it for not being something else.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

In fact, I never remember the developer saying it was an 'open world sandbox' or 'pick your own adventure rpg' any other insanity people are making up to dig the game.

Where is that happening? I haven't noticed any of that on Giant Bomb.

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man half life 2 sux no braching path fuck this gaem and fuk valv - haha

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By agentboolen

@dietlime: branching story lines would be nice but most games choose the linear story path.

A game that I would have like to bring into a different direction towards the end was LA Noire, hated the direction that 3rd disc went.

But yes I agree it would be nice if more games allowed us to choose the direction of the story.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited about The Order.

You know what the best part is.

NO ONE CAN STOP ME

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay that's settled. You guys can close this now

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick look due

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It seems like you nailed a lot of what I've been seeing and hearing about the game.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@gaminghooligan said:

@joshwent said:

Can't we at least spout bullshit about games that are actually out?

For reals...

It's the least we can do.

Second post today on Giant Bomb ranting about a game the OP's haven't played. I genuinely think the forums are slowly degrading.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why call something out when, at the time of creating the thread, enough information was around for a consensus to start being drawn? Calling it requires genuine foresight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.