Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Order: 1886

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 20, 2015

A third-person shooter set in a steampunk-themed alternate timeline, with a dash of the supernatural. Developed by Ready at Dawn Studios for the PlayStation 4.

Is this really bad, or should I get it?

• 83 results
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By NTM

Poll Is this really bad, or should I get it? (415 votes)

I actually really liked it a lot! I highly recommend it! 5%
    I actually really liked it a lot! That said, I'm not sure I could recommend it... 3%
    The game was decent. Neither great, nor bad. I think I could recommend it though. 19%
    The game was decent. Neither great, nor bad. I don't think I'd recommend it though. 10%
    This game sucked to me personally, though I may be able to recommend it... 1%
    This game sucked. No way would I recommend this junk! 12%
    You know, regardless of quality, it really just depends on the price. 20%
    I have another answer not listed above. 31%

So, I kind of want to experience the game. Target has it for $39.99, I think? I can't quite remember. I just know it's not full price like it is at some other places. The reason I want to play it right now, is simply because there's not much else to play right now, as I am just waiting for new releases to come along. Getting done with MGS5 a few weeks ago, I'm having fun playing the Master Chief Collection for now, waiting for Halo 5, as well as The Witcher 3, to explore to see if I missed anything, as well as upgrade as much as I can before the DLC for that comes out, as I'm almost level 36, though I know the DLC asks for you to be level 30, but I can be done with those if this is something worth paying for at that price, and playing. What do you think? Also, hopefully the choices above are okay.

• 
    Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bought it for $10 on the PSN flash sale. And you know what? It's not bad!

cooperb212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was ok for under 20$ i would get it. Its a one playthrough game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

As I understand it, it's just really average. Not offensively bad or anything.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I have some more time to elaborate on my phone here...

Disclosure: I only played the first chapter. I never owned a 360 and so never really played any of the last gen cover-shooters, so a story-driven, big-budget cover-shooter is still a novel thing to me.

My wife and I decided to fire this up this morning and she watched me play it while eating breakfast. Most of the first chapter is just exposition and observing things with some cover shooting at the end. We both liked the voice acting and character design. She liked Isigraine. The graphics are incredible. This is the best looking game I've seen since the Star Wars Battlefront Beta... it might be the best looking game of 2015.

I dig the less-is-more approach to the music. The shooting feels good although movement can feel a little clunky at times. Not a big fan of the QTE stuff but oh well.

Overall, so far, $10 seems like a really good deal. Probably wouldn't spend more than $20. If you're burnt out on cover shooters, I understand why you might not dig this game. Otherwise, it seems pretty good.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well... okay. So I've put some more time into this game and uh, my opinion on this game is starting to sour.

I haven't finished it but I think I'm real close. Minor Spoilers, but I'm past the part where the game starts you on the 20th day of Novemeber, goes back in time, and then fasts-forwards to December 2nd. I keep thinking "this must be the 2nd to last level" but the game keeps going. So, in a sense, the game is beating my super-low expectations of length. It's actually not that short, really--from my off-again-on-again playing sessions.

My biggest complaint is the plot and dialogue writing take a huge shitter after the point where (mid-game spoiler) Perceval dies.Everything the main character does from that point is just stupid and he feels like an angst-filled twenty-something bent on revenge and not in a cool way. Isigraine, who at the beginning of the game seemed like a competent, well-written female supporting character, turns into this jealous, petty love-interest. There are new supporting characters that help out the main character even though he's acting like a total dick. There's a really obvious betrayal that you see coming a million miles away and makes the main character--this guy that at least pretends to be a detective--look like an idiot.

It just sucks.

This game is a lot like Destiny in that the art team and gunplay is fun but the story is such garbage that it actively turns you off from playing it. Only at least unlike Destiny this game has the promise of being short and merciful whereas Destiny asks that you grind out a bunch of content for a measly nugget of story that isn't even that good. Blech.

2 or 3 stars is about right for this game. Hey, hey AAA game studios... get some better writers. Please.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

It's currently on sale for $8 for anyone interested.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

If you can get it for $20 or less, it's totally worth it. It basically reminds me of an alternate history gothic action movie, and as long as you play it as such, it's enjoyable. The gunplay is actually /really good/ in my opinion, it's just inconsequential.

blueneurosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a gorgeous camera system hidden away in the game. I found it more fun to roll around the levels just looking at the various designs and painstaking amount of detail added, and then trying to make equally gorgeous compositions with the camera.

Then again, I got it super cheap digitally, so I felt I got "ehhh" levels of worth out of it.

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really short and only so-so at best. Try to get it for less.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By DharmaBum

Seems like it was a Ryse: Son of Rome situation - really nice graphics but shallow gameplay.

madnesshero88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

worth a watch if youre thinking of getting this, dont agree with these guys all the time, but they are spot on here

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'd say it's worth it at $8 just for the visuals. The rest of it may be uninspired, but The Order is a very pretty looking game.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

I just finished it, and it may come as a surprise to some more than myself, even though I am surprised as well, because I actually really enjoyed the game; almost going so far to consider it great. Also, the game had more gameplay, and was a bit longer than I was expecting as well. Without going into a bunch of detail, what I will say is that while I thought the beginnings were fine, once you get on the airship and everything after, I enjoyed it a lot more. While it didn't bother me too much to break the experience, I kind of wish you could turn off the black bars, as well as grain effect, even though it tries to make it more cinematic, and I suppose it does succeed. Well, I am really happy I played it, and I can't wait for a sequel. I wish I took notes as I played so I could jot the pros and mainly cons here, as it'd make it easier to go into detail. Oh, and the ending wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be either, though I wouldn't necessarily call it great. I also, over time really became to like the characters more. Yeah, good game in my opinion. I will go through it on hard. Oh, another con, I think it was a dumb idea to have so many chapters. They should have simply had the game they had, but spread it out, because they more often than not have you sit through a bunch of cutscenes with little gameplay, and that's a chapter; it doesn't make sense.

I actually agree with you, mostly... not that is was GREAT, but it was a lot better than most gave it credit for. An average cover shooter with great graphics and a neat premise/world.

I hope you didn't have to pay $40 for it, though? I'm pretty sure I paid less than that on release day. And I'm pretty sure I see it all the time for $20 on Kinja deals, on sale.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think these kind of scripted games only get a pass if theyre a little longer than 6 hours *cough* uncharted *cough*

im tempted too seeing as its only 20 dollarydoos, looked pretty phenomenal letterboxing aside, and was initially smitten with it in trailers so i should probably give it a whirl at least.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think these kind of scripted games only get a pass if theyre a little longer than 6 hours *cough* uncharted *cough*

...Also try good story, characters, and well done action setpieces, Those would also give it a "pass."

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ripelivejam said:

...Also try good story, characters, and well done action setpieces, Those would also give it a "pass."

It has all of that so i give this game a pass.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By NTM

@rethla: @frostyryan: @ripelivejam: @darth_navster: @madnesshero88: @dharmabum: @chrispaul92: @blueneurosis: @silver-streak: Hey guys, don't know if you knew this, but this thread is old. I played the game already months back and liked it fine. It's fine if you still want to have a say just in general though I suppose.

@zombievac: Oh man, I had to look what game this was about; I was confused, because this is months old. Yeah, I enjoyed it. I don't remember what I paid for it. My biggest issue with the game is probably just that there's not enough gameplay. If they made the game twice as long, and the 'twice as long' portion consisted of gameplay, with those cutscenes fit around that, it'd probably be a non-issue. Oh, I probably did get it for 40 bucks. I don't really regret it, but yeah, it is more like a 20 dollar experience, though that's not saying it's bad, it's just that what's there to experience through gameplay, while I enjoyed it, wasn't enough in longevity.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By NTM

@ripelivejam: Uncharted one through three are eight hours, so you have that correct, though at least in the remaster collection, you have around 20 to 30 hours of gameplay, and Uncharted 4 is nearly twice as long as any of those individual games. You say scripted, but by comparison, Uncharted is a lot less scripted, or more importantly, and perhaps more to your point(?), a lot more linear. I do recommend The Order at 20 dollars or under. That said, I tried playing on hard, and I couldn't manage (not at all due to difficulty, but motivation [and heck, maybe I'm just shallow, but lack of trophies] to get through all the way on hard). I've gone back to it since, but only played one or two hours from the beginning. I do sometimes feel like just playing it. It is like Ryse, and perhaps above all, it's a good visual showcase.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Oops sorry about that. I only posted as it showed up on the top of the forums page. Hope I didn't necro bump.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't believe this warrents a new thread but two years down the line and now 15 aud (roughly 12 usd) is this worth a purchase? Conceptually it appeals to me.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@hayt: how much do you care about story continuity and spoilers? I don't remember specifics but I remember watching a video with all things wrong with it, and it spoils its own plot at the beginning of the game and has continuity problems.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would wait for it to be around $5 honestly..

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: i'd be mostly in for spectacle and story so that is pretty damning... haha

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I beat it a week or two ago, and it's alright. If it's cheap ($5-10) and you're in the mood for third-person-ass third-person shooting, it's decent. It's very story-driven, starts quite slow, and there isn't much spectacle to speak of. But it's pretty and controls competently.

Story-wise, by the end it goes for some stuff it doesn't quite earn, but the whole game was sufficiently engaging that the twists and turns were enjoyable. If you really like steampunk and monsters it's got that going for it too.

And I ain't kidding when I say it starts slow. It's one of those games where you'll be walking through an area just to be walking through an area. Forced walk and all. A few levels in it feels more gamey, much to the game's benefit. It's also got a handful of peculiar weapons that you can use at particular times, and that's alright too.

It's like the epitome of a 3/5. Original and competent enough to maintain a baseline level of interest, not exceptional enough to increase it.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By whitegreyblack

@hayt: I really liked the game despite its faults, but its a game I could only recommend to people with a bunch of caveats. Still, if the price is right you don't to stand to lose much by trying the game.

Bapetacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: It was on sale last week for like 4 bucks. I'd say it was worth it at that price but I don't think I would even pay 10 for it.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#77  Edited By Nodima

I may have already made this post, but my memory would like me to reiterate: it was a very pretty, cool set piece, fun game that ran into issues of pacing and storytelling for a game that was almost all about those two things. I think I bought the game for $20 and that was a worthwhile price for me because it was quite the spectacle, it just didn't live up to the ideals it meant to espouse.

Everything about the game, IMO, was good except for how limited it was as a game (ie. each level was a showcase for a specific idea rather than a build to a culmination of ideas) and how limited it was as a story (ie. all the characters were decently interesting and voice acting was good, but it was ultimately a small story given too grand a scope and lost its message in the process).

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

I just finished it, and it may come as a surprise to some more than myself, even though I am surprised as well, because I actually really enjoyed the game, almost going so far to consider it great. Also, the game had more gameplay, and was a bit longer than I was expecting as well. Without going into a bunch of detail, what I will say is that while I thought the earlier sections were fine, once you get on the airship and everything after, I enjoyed it a lot more. While it didn't bother me too much to break the experience, I kind of wish you could turn off the black bars, as well as grain effect, even though it tries to make it more cinematic, and I suppose it does succeed. Well, I am really happy I played it, and I can't wait for a sequel. I wish I took notes as I played so I could jot the pros and mainly cons here, as it'd make it easier to go into detail. Oh, and the ending wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be either, though I wouldn't necessarily call it great. I also, over time really became to like the characters more. Yeah, good game in my opinion. I will go through it on hard. Oh, another con, I think it was a dumb idea to have so many chapters. They should have simply had the game they had, but spread it out, because they more often than not have you sit through a bunch of cutscenes with little gameplay, and that's a chapter; it doesn't make sense.

I wouldn't pay $60 for it (or anywhere near that) if I were the average person, but at release I got it for $35. I found it worthwhile. It was more enjoyable then two movie viewings in a theatre, for example. The world and atmosphere were interesting. No part of it was exceptional, but no part of it was terrible. I think a lot of people who didn't actually play it compounded the hatred of it. It WAS shiznitty of Sony to charge a full $60 for it as the retail price though, and not have already marked it down to the $20 "leastest hits" category by now, IMO.

Decent game, try it if it's free, maybe try it if it's $20. I'd say.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just boring.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I paid 4 bucks for it myself. I still havent got around to booting it up for reals.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it when it was at $20, and thought it was pretty great for that price. Stealth section is obnoxious, but not very long. World is pretty cool and the story is decent. Other than that, it's a third-person shooter.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By NTM

@zombievac: Yeah, it's not worth full price. I'd say if you're really interested in playing it, $19.99 is fine. If it were ten dollars and I'd never had played it, that'd be a steal in my opinion. You say nothing was exceptional, but I think the visual and sound design was pretty exceptional. I, unfortunately, found it hard to go through again. I went through half of it on hard then quit because I didn't feel like playing it anymore. I've reinstalled it and played a couple of hours of it since I bought it and after I beat it, but never beat it again. It's a fine game that I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to. I wish there was a lot more gameplay and for it to be a little less linear, and I feel there could be considering the fact I don't think visuals are holding it back seeing as we've had Uncharted 4 and Horizon since then.

Edit - Oh, and perhaps you should realize if you didn't before, but (like I mentioned seven months ago), this is an old thread. A year and seven months now. I probably shouldn't have posted anymore, ha ha. Someone else is curious though which is why it was bumped. I also totally forgot what I came on the internet for.

DarkbeastCaarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus don't pay 40 bucks for this, I bought it for $4 finished the game and plat last night and would only recommend it for under $10

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I quite enjoyed the ride. If you can pick it up cheap i think its well worth the few hours it takes to go through the story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.