Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Oregon Trail

Franchise »

A long-running franchise of educational games.

Which Oregon Trail Did You Play?

slaughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By slaughts

The Oregon Trail bit on the latest Bombcast got me thinking about which version(s) of the game we played when we were kids. The one I remember playing was The Oregon Trail Deluxe that came out for DOS and Mac in 1992.

What about y'all?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zeik

Whatever was on elementary school computers in the early to mid 90's.

It was probably Deluxe, since it had better graphics than some versions I've seen. I remember my grandma had "Oregon Trail 2" at some point. I barely played it, since it seemed way more complicated than it needed to be and not fun.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Apple II. When you went out hunting and shot an animal, the sprite just flipped upside down to indicate it was dead, which I found hilarious.

cashbasket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also Apple II. We had to play it in grade school all the time. The last time we played it, I named my main character "Eat Me" and got in trouble (it was a very Catholic school).

DasBoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe mine was Oregon Trail II once all the schools in the district got Win95 machines. In fact, I'm not sure I was even aware of the Apple II version until way too much later.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apple IIe, early 90s. I was more of a Word/Number Munchers guy, but I still played a ton of Oregon Trail. Don't know if I ever beat it... probably not. It was too much fun to die in various horrible ways.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

My family had the 3rd edition (which features some pretty "good" FMV acting) and an old floppy disk of the original version. I don't think I ever quite understood how to play it "correctly" but I sincerely doubt most of the kids in the computer labs of the 90s and early 2000s had any idea either.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Original Apple II. I remember coming across a significantly newer version years later and being totally confounded by how much more work they wanted you to put in before you could even leave the starting town.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I honestly don't remember. I recall playing some version in a computer class, don't know which. Definitely not the really old one Jeff mentioned.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Apple II, as nature intended

longevitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Apple II, I think I was in 3rd or 4th grade. Hunting was my favorite. I never had enough time to do a complete game so I never could finish it. Ejecting that floppy disk was super satisfying though.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

HA, this is funny, I played the version Jeff and Will remember. I was confused by all the videos that involved graphics based actions scenes, and I just figured I didn't get far enough in the game. It is great to learn that my entirely text based memory isn't a fabrication.

I always bought oxen because they were cheaper, and I always died trying to cross a swollen river. fuck that game.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Tom_omb

The Yukon Trail was what we had in my Canadian Elementary School's Mac lab.

No Caption Provided

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I played the black and green version as my first go.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Black & green Apple II.

Our grade school had mandatory computer literacy each week, and at least half the time was spent playing Oregon Trail or Number Munchers.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Played several, but the one I played the most in school was the early 90s Mac one too.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Apple II version is what we had my school.

I think I may have once played the really old one Jeff was talking about, I'm not sure.

I never played the later versions, but I did eventually play Yukon Trail and that game was fun. Don't go to Skagway!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OurSin_360

Whatever version was out in the late 80's in school.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

These are screenshots from the version I remember. I think it was the DOS version that my family's computer had (I know we didn't have any Apple products) and I played it endlessly, mainly to see people I knew die of cholera and to play the hunting game. I had the one where you walked around and shot pixels at animals too big to carry back to the wagon.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm about the same age as Jeff I think (turned 40 a little over a month ago) and I didn't play the version he did on stream. That was way too fancy, what with its color graphics actual aiming during the hunting parts. We played on Apple II's. The problem was they only gave you one hour, but half of that was eaten up by wrangling all the kids into the computer lab and setting them up with a game, so I never had time to finish a playthrough.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@arbitrarywater: i also played the 3rd edition, i still can't believe i played through that without ever thinking the FMV was weird. Looking back it looks bananas.

FMV duck hunting was pretty cool too.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oregon Trail II. It came with the first PC my dad ever bought for the family along with SimCity 2000.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I looked up
    I looked up "oregon trail editions" and I don't think that's the right picture for 4th edition, Google.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I think we played Deluxe for the Mac at school. I remember the hunting was mouse-based, and I think you could group in a party over a network, so that everyone in our class had their own wagon, and we had to vote on things like the route or pace.

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My school growing up had it for Apple II. I think it was in green and white, but that may have just been due to the monitors not having color. It was the version where you moved around your little dude for hunting. Later, when my family got a PC in the late 90s, we got Oregon Trail 2, which I remember having FMV, but I think my memory is wrong on that count: the game had real people, but I think they were mostly just static images. Funny how my mind filled in the blanks on that.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOS version, 1990 version if i recall. Actually never finished it back then. Kind of want to go back to it. Had a ton of fun with the zombie version Organ Trailer, finished that one a bunch of times.

Mattt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started on Oregon Trail II that came out in '95. It was years later that I found out about some of the older versions and never really got to experience them. Oregon Trail II had a lot of very funny jpeg people pasted into scenes.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oregon Trail II. According to Wikipedia there are a couple different editions of Oregon Trail II, but I don't know which one was the specific one I played.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oregon Trail 2000, maybe? I’m not certain that’s what it was called, but it was definitely one of the later versions.

kid_gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 1985 Apple II version which I believe is the first with limited graphics, we didn't have color screens at school though so I never knew it wasn't always green on green. I didn't know there was a text only version that was even older until Jeff brought it up.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking it was the DOS version and maybe 2000 later.

Did anyone play any of the spin offs? They had one that was the Amazon, Yukon, etc.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By rapid
    Loading Video...

remember playing a lot of this Macintosh version in junior high

MankMachinery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rapid: This is the one. I just hunted, I didn't even play the game. On the Apple IIs I'd just switch them on and off until it gave me the the command prompt and then write loop code to cover the screen with curse words.

anarchovelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rapid: I definitely played this one the most, I remember stocking up on bullets and hunting constantly and always killing more animals than I could carry in my wagon. I think I made it to the end only once or twice, that mouse controlled ride down the river at the end was terrible.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater:

We had/have the third as well it came with a bundle of various software we got with our first computer.

Loved that game aside from the times in the summer where the people kept complaining about the heat. Like what the hell am I supposed to do about? Install an A/C on the side of the wagon?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I didn't have to type shoot, nor did I have the luxery of movement whilst hunting.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think it was the Macintosh version. I might have played the Apple II version as well but I can't remember (I was 6 ok). Each class had a Apple II and the library had Macintoshes. I probably played a lot more Apple II games than I remember. I definitely remember playing the Macintosh version of Oregon Trail in the library though.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I played whatever was out in the early 90s as that was when I was in 1st grade. I distinctly remember killing all the buffalo.

kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rapid: That's the one that I played at school. I also had the 3rd edition at home.

Masterp251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the one on the apple computers back in the early 90s in 4th and 5th grade.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.