The Outfoxies is a 2D comedic crime-themed weapon-based platform-fighting game developed and released by Namco for arcades (using their NB-2 hardware) in late 1994.
Seen as a precursor to other side-scrolling platform-fighting games (such as the Super Smash Bros. series), Outfoxies pits assassins in one-on-one matches set in large unique arenas (which zoom in-and-out on the screen as players navigate it using traditional platforming mechanics) with a variety of limited-use weaponry that can be picked up.
The story involves seven professional hitmen hired by the mysterious "Mr. Acme" to assassinate wealthy art collectors. After the deed is done, Mr. Acme arranges for them to kill each other to avoid having to pay their fees.
Gameplay in Outfoxies is a side-scrolling 2D fighting game which features large arenas that up to two players fight to the death in. Players have a number of options when it comes to traversing the arena, such as climbing stairs, dropping down floors or jumping gaps. Players are given a large arsenal of weapons to kill each other, including guns and swords to less conventional weapons such as fans or pies. Each weapon has a limited use and will either run out of ammo, or break over time.
The environment reacts to the player's fighting which can create hazards: glass tanks can be broken, causing water to blast out and send players across the room. The game's plane stage will shake or rotate violently if the players use explosives and the train level features tunnels that can knock the player off the top of the train if they don't duck in time. Each level has a time limit and the arena will deteriorate throughout the match, one such level takes place in a skyscraper, an explosion early in the match will cause the building to slowly fall apart, causing floors to collapse sending players down several floors though a restaurant all the way down to the lobby.
The game includes seven playable characters and one unplayable boss character.
- John Smith - An everyman who will do anything for money, be it menial tasks (such as babysitting) or becoming a professional hitman. His stage takes place in a skyscraper that slowly falls apart throughout the match.
- Betty Doe - A former assassin turned international entrepreneur who has racked up a large debt from running several businesses. Her stage takes place inside an aquarium that slowly fills with water throughout the match.
- Bernard White - A bio-tech engineer capable super human strength with the help of a prosthetic steel hand. His stage takes place aboard a train crossing the Rocky Mountains, which the player can fall off or be struck by an oncoming tunnel entrance.
- Eve - A washed-up film starlet, who has turned to a life of crime to support her lavish lifestyle. She can break into even the most secure locations with the help of her well-trained iguana. Her stage takes place inside a circus tent, with elephants and trapezes that the player can use.
- Professor Ching - A paraplegic scientist and famous martial artist who fights on a mechanical wheelchair of his design. His stage takes place inside a weapons factory that are full of hazards that can hurt the players such as cranes and assembly lines.
- Danny and Demi - Former conjoined twins who, at 11 years old, possess extremely intelligent and psychopathic minds. Their stage takes place aboard a boat that the player can fall off of and be attacked by sea creatures.
- Dweeb - A highly-intelligent chimpanzee who works for bananas. He was kidnapped from his TV-famous father Mr. Happy, and was trained to become a dangerous assassin. His stage takes place aboard of a plane, that will shake violently if explosives are used, sending players flying.
- Mr. Acme - The game's final boss and the mysterious contractor who masks their voice with a speech modulator. Their stage takes place inside a mansion filled with boobytraps and concludes when they take off in a helicopter, which the player must shoot down.
The soundtrack to The Outfoxies was composed by Masahiro Fukuzawa and published by Victor Entertainment on January 21st, 1995 as a part of Namco's 'Sound Express' series.
Name: Namco Game Sound Express VOL.20 The Outfoxies
Total length: 35:02
- "Prologue" - (0:36)
- "A Plot" - (0:46)
- "A Plan" - (0:59)
- "A Killing" - (0:07)
- "The Outfoxies" - (1:05)
- "Skyscraper " - (3:30)
- "Showtime" - (2:58)
- "City of Bule" - (5:11)
- "Go to Helltrain!" - (3:34)
- "Jungle Factory" - (3:33)
- "Death Flight" - (3:59)
- "Dangerous Cruise" - (2:36)
- "Mr. Acme's Theme ~Planned Double Cross~" - (2:21)
- "Counterblow" - (2:04)
- "Shoot! ~ I've Survived" - (0:22)
- "Enoy Life" - (1:21)