Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Pinball Arcade

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 09, 2012

Official virtual recreations of numerous pinball tables from some of the largest manufacturers of pinball machines in history.

Should I purchase tables for Steam or IOS?

TommyTours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should I purchase tables for Steam or IOS? (39 votes)

Steam 79%
    IOS 21%

So I'd been thinking about getting into playing pinball arcade for a while and now suddenly they've announced they've lost the licence to a large chunk of their catalogue so there's a looming deadline to get some interesting tables.

My question is, am I better off purchasing tables for Steam or iOS? Seeing as unfortunately they don't offer cross buy.

I have both an iPad and iPhone so I'd have two portable ways to play if I go that route, plus being able to play in portrait mode seems great, but touch controls don't necessarily seem the best for pinball.

On the other hand the PC has much more flexibility when it comes to control choices but it takes a lot longer to fire up my gaming PC just to play a couple of rounds when the mood strikes and currently the Mac OS version straight up doesn't work so I can't play on my main computer.

Other than those reasons, does anyone know how the performance of the iOS version compares to the PC version?

Cheers.

• 
    whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I never personally had the best experience with Pinball Arcade on my iPad vs. the PC but your mileage may vary. I definitely recommend you play the free table on iOS for a while to see how you like the controls vs. PC.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would also expect them to do deep discounts on stuff close to the date they are pulled, so probably wait.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

I'd recommend playing them on Steam as it's better with a controller. If you have a controller for your Phone/Tablet then maybe you can get the best of both worlds but my recommendation is to play the game with a controller wherever that is most convenient for you.

I would also expect them to do deep discounts on stuff close to the date they are pulled, so probably wait.

Unfortunately that won't happen due to licensing obligations from what i hear.

FarSight has stated that previous owners of the tables will be able to play them indefinitely. New owners interested in grabbing these soon to be delisted pins will need to pay full price, as FarSight’s licensing agreement have barred them from offering any discounts. The seven current seasons are $30 a pop on Steam, although individual tables and two packs can be purchased from inside the game.

TechRaptor.net
    TommyTours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TommyTours

@sin4profit: Yeah I've got a 8bitdo controller that in theory works with iOS, but I haven't tried it yet, I'll let you know when I do.

Edit: Apparently 8bitdo controllers no longer work with iOS, that's annoying.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Zelyre

Steam.

Going to toss this out there, since Pinball Arcade has the licensing stuff going on:

You can always put together a PC running legacy software if for reason Pinball Arcade no longer works under a certain flavor of Windows. Then, get weird and build a fake pinball table out of a 75" display.

If Apple pushes out an iOS update that bricks Pinball Arcade, outside of waiting for dev support, you have nothing. I have a pretty large library of stuff I bought on iPad that just flat out won't run anymore.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

Steam.

Going to toss this out there, since Pinball Arcade has the licensing stuff going on:

You can always put together a PC running legacy software if for reason Pinball Arcade no longer works under a certain flavor of Windows. Then, get weird and build a fake pinball table out of a 75" display.

If Apple pushes out an iOS update that bricks Pinball Arcade, outside of waiting for dev support, you have nothing. I have a pretty large library of stuff I bought on iPad that just flat out won't run anymore.

This, I think.

You can apply legacy compatibility settings to Steam games directly on the game program files. I've found Win 10 to be better than Win XP for being able to play old games without even needing to do that. Besides that, some of the tables look really great with a larger screen. Trying to follow the balls might be difficult on a mobile device, esp. in multiball, but then I wish I could put my monitor in portrait mode (it's ultra wide for a start).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sin4profit: Thanks, hope that's the case then. Was going to wait but may get some sooner rather than later myself.

TommyTours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

Steam.

So I ended up going for steam partially for this reason (I too have iOS games I spent money to buy that no longer run) but also because it turns out that the season packs are about £5 cheaper on PC than iOS.

Better controls also helped the decision.

Only bought season one so far, but I'm having a great time and plan to buy more before the time is up!

What really strikes me is how different the tables feel, I play real pinball so infrequently and I don't think I've ever played more than 2 tables back to back so I though they all felt fairly much the same, but theres a great variety of speeds and styles!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#9 fisk0  Moderator

I'll say you're more likely to be able to play your Steam games in 5-10 years than your iOS purchases, considering Apple has a habit of randomly dropping support for older software. Not sure Steam is still growing as a platform these days, but I don't see it suddenly closing down, and backwards compatibility generally isn't problem in Windows, at least not as a brick wall where there's no way to get old stuff running again unless it's using some bad DRM or requires a constant online connection, which I don't think Pinball Arcade does.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.