Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Quiet Man

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 01, 2018

An FMV game from Square Enix.

How do you feel about this The Quiet Man's 'Accolades' trailer?

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Poll How do you feel about this The Quiet Man's 'Accolades' trailer? (76 votes)

Reverse psychology works, now I'm interested, might be GOTY contender 9%
    No. 24%
    Mom's Dead Parkour 67%

Square Enix Japan released this 'Accolades' trailer, and there doesn't seem to be any sort of misunderstanding / mistranslation of the quotes into Japanese either.

Is this how reverse psychology works? I mean at least it's much better to embrace the terrible-ness of the game, than developers / publishers going into tirade about how people don't understand the game,

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

What the fuck?

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Isn't this kind of spitting in the face of the people who made the game? Such a weird move from Square, the same Square who showed it off at E3 as a serious game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm impressed they are desperate enough to lean into it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@oodli said:

Isn't this kind of spitting in the face of the people who made the game? Such a weird move from Square, the same Square who showed it off at E3 as a serious game.

Unless the devs are negotiation geniuses, it's possible or even likely that with the contract they signed, Square Enix has more or less complete control over however they want to represent the game in marketing material. It seems SE thinks their only chance to sell copies of this game is to go "Check out how bad (...or maybe good? *wink*) players think this game is!", and honestly, this is probably the smartest strategy they could adopt to try to sell copies of this terrible game.

It's also very smart of them to not show the gameplay in trailers.

Also, it never occurred to me that Square Enix would even release this game in Japan and other Asian territories. It's bad enough watching these actors play out this horrible script in its native language, so I can only imagine trying to translate this into anything that would appeal to Asian audiences.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's awful.

Don't "The Room" this

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope the “Ironic” train doesn’t run with this game. It’s bad enough that idiots brought Bubsy back, just let this game die.

Sometime shit is just bad, and needs to be disregarded.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. This is one of the most bizarre marketing strategies I've seen from a major publisher. Can't help but feel kind of sorry for the developers; it must not feel good knowing that your publisher is actively dragging your work through the mud to try to make some money from ironic purchases.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was going to make a joke that this is how Square tends to market their western games but the Deus Ex and Hitman games got great (expensive) trailers.

Hell I even liked that Just Cause 3 trailer, bad cover and all.

That could just be because I like weird James Bond intro style visuals.

Anyway, yeah this is weird, cant say I blame them though, worked for The Room.

Cure_Optimism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cure_Optimism

There's nothing to lose, might as well just own up to the game being terrible. I think people are gonna be disappointed to find out this isn't an ironic thing though, and the game is deadly serious in it's awfulness. There's not much to laugh at when you can't hear what's going on and the gameplay is beating you over the head. They're marketing it like it's The Room rather than an awful, barely watchable arthouse film

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait. Why can we hear the narration? Shouldn't the entire trailer be silent and the narrator be in that annoying tinny- pinging sound in the game?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think that's what they're going for here.

I think the purpose of this trailer is to try and position Answered as being this revelatory experience. They've highlighted here all the bad reviews of the game when it was a quiet confusing nightmare and then try to position Answered as something that turns it into high art that was misunderstood.

Feels more like "You will be ashamed of your words and deeds."

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@efesell said:

I think the purpose of this trailer is to try and position Answered as being this revelatory experience. They've highlighted here all the bad reviews of the game when it was a quiet confusing nightmare and then try to position Answered as something that turns it into high art that was misunderstood.

Exactly the impression I got. Still weird to highlight the former so openly, though.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: Same, but they're wrong, it's still bad(maybe worse?)

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell said:

I read the comments before I watched the trailer, so I was most definitely affected by what was said, but this does indeed seem more likely.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope thats not what theyre doimg. Its far worse than that, its implying the people who played it the 2nd time wwre praising the artistic decision of making the first playthrough silent. Very seedy and misleading because the 2nd playthrough was worse.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feel a lot of people in this thread are missing the point of this trailer. They are saying that once you play through the game with sound it will all make sense and flip your opinion on the game.

They aren't leaning into the so bad it's good angle or throwing anyone under the bus.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm in the somewhat unique position of having heard a LOT of the discussion around this game, but not watching any significant part of the "original" version past a few scenes (up to the first flashback scene or so). Instead, I chose to watch a full playthrough with the audio track DLC (I didn't believe this game deserved TWO viewings. I think I was right.)

It's a perfectly serviceable FMV game that has a terrible story and terrible acting. If you don't see the end-of-credits scene, the game is downright Oedipal. Even with that scene, the whole thing is still downright Freudian. The same actress plying both the mother and the love interest is EXTREMELY CREEPY.

Some of the gaming sites that reviewed this game and had their quotes in this "trailer" have already shared this. That feels like giving Square Enix exactly what they want.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me it just shows what I was already thinking. They are self-aware and people are just taking the game waaaaaay too seriously.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me it just shows what I was already thinking. They are self-aware and people are just taking the game waaaaaay too seriously.

Way too seriously for a product you pay money for and for the first week get a silent movie with tons of dialogue and terrible game sequences that are damn near broken?

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ask yourself, would you rather play The Quiet Man or Kingdom Hearts? That’s what I thought. This trailer is fun. No one was forced to buy this game. I bought it. It’s awful. I have no regrets.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I feel like this trailer is just misrepresenting the events around the game. They act like the voiced version was so amazing that people's opinions made a 180 degree turn compared to the original version, and that the entire experience was only this impactful because of that voice-less version. Now i'm sure that there are a few people out there that had this experience, but i think it's fair to say that it's quite a small group of people that felt like the game ended up having a quality narrative.

Then again, how else were they supposed to market this game? Either like this , or not at all i guess.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather play a bad broken FMV games from the 90's and most of those are unplayable these days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.