Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Saboteur

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Dec 08, 2009

The Saboteur is a action-packed, free-roaming sandbox game that takes place in Nazi-occupied France during World War II. Drive the Nazis out of Paris through whatever means necessary as Irish mechanic-turned-race-car-driver-turned-soldier-of-fortune Sean Devlin.

Are they censoring nazis ?

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By turbomonkey138

Just saw the pre-order trailer for The Saboteur on youtube . If you look at the video the Nazi does not have a 
    swastika it is just a cross 

What do you guys think ? 

Has anyone seen if there are swastikas in this game ? 

If they are censoring it do you think they should ?

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Seedofpower

Wow, they soooo totally are. Well that's fucking lame..... its history.... now I have a head ache.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

I've seen a few trailers with some censoring the swastikas and others not. I hope they're not censoring them otherwise what's the point?

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " I've seen a few trailers with some censoring the swastikas and others not. I hope they're not censoring them otherwise what's the point? "

If they do censor this for the final release then political correctness has gone too far .
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's probably only removed in advertising, as it's not really necessary, I doubt it's censored in the game itself.  

Many people continue to find the use of a one time religious symbol deeply offensive.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " It's probably only removed in advertising, as it's not really necessary, I doubt it's censored in the game itself.   Many people continue to find the use of a one time religious symbol deeply offensive. "
    The thing is the Buddhist symbol is the other way around .
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By flaminghobo

If they censor this in the actual game then I'll be really disappointed.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meltac

Hm, I'm pretty sure I saw a gameplay trailer which wasn't censored. I'll see if I can find it ^^

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By End_Boss

Everyone relax. Saboteur won't be the first time games have seen uncensored swastikas. Censoring the trailers really isn't that big of a deal.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Meltac

It's about 0:55

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Meltac said:

"   
    It's about 0:55

"
    Is that the E3 presentation ?
    Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meltac
    @turbomonkey138: Nope, it's from October 16th, so it's pretty new
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Meowayne

its history

*facepalm*
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Meltac said:
    " @turbomonkey138: Nope, it's from October 16th, so it's pretty new "
    Maybe there is hope then  :0
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By turbomonkey138

See told you look at the quick look 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Milkman
    @turbomonkey138: From the comments of that video: Jeff says " We almost mentioned the no swastikas thing, but forgot. The full version of the game will have them in regions where they are allowed. They've been showing this version off because they've been taking it around the world and didn't want to deal with two separate builds." 

Don't worry, you'll get your swastikas.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Milkman said:

" @turbomonkey138: From the comments of that video: Jeff says " We almost mentioned the no swastikas thing, but forgot. The full version of the game will have them in regions where they are allowed. They've been showing this version off because they've been taking it around the world and didn't want to deal with two separate builds."   Don't worry, you'll get your swastikas. "

Lol now  i sound like a psycho ....
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By bed
    @Milkman said:
     Don't worry, you'll get your swastikas. "
    thank god. 
    Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Famov

Going by what Milkman said, I'm assuming the censorship will apply to PAL regions. The United States and Canada will probably be uncensored.

This goes nicely with the free speech discussion in the other thread, and in this one I'll say that I'll tattoo a swastika on my head if I frickin' want to. It is my right to do so, and the government should not be engaged in this sort of blatant restriction of free speech. Indeed, it is very easy to draw parallels to the censorship of the facist state to the censorship of any modern European state that wishes to atone for 20th century Nazism by pretending it never happened.
    Bald3rdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bald3rdash

They're only censoring in certain regions, I'd imagine Australia is at the top of the censored regions list.

Bald3rdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bald3rdash
    @PeasForFees said:

" @Bald3rdash said:

" They're only censoring in certain regions, I'd imagine Australia is at the top of the censored regions list. "

I would expect Germany to be at the top "
    I was just joking about Aussi-land because of the censoring of  L4D2 and other games ;)
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

I don't feel okay about breaking necks unless they got real deal swasticas on their arms. 
    But I mean, if this is the pal version, shouldn't the soldiers be robots with black blood or something? That'll never get into Germany as is.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By Hailinel

If you want to see retarded levels of censorship, you should check out Wolfenstein RPG on the iPhone.  Their fake Hitler has a soul patch instead of the mustache in addition to the removal of swastikas.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AgentofChaos

Its different in Germany, where displaying the Swatstika is not allowed (for obvious reasons)

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28  Edited By Suicrat
    @Famov said:
    " Going by what Milkman said, I'm assuming the censorship will apply to PAL regions. The United States and Canada will probably be uncensored.  This goes nicely with the free speech discussion in the other thread, and in this one I'll say that I'll tattoo a swastika on my head if I frickin' want to. It is my right to do so, and the government should not be engaged in this sort of blatant restriction of free speech. Indeed, it is very easy to draw parallels to the censorship of the facist state to the censorship of any modern European state that wishes to atone for 20th century Nazism by pretending it never happened. "
    That's not entirely true. In Germany, pretending it never happened is a crime.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel
    @Suicrat said:
    " @Famov said:
    " Going by what Milkman said, I'm assuming the censorship will apply to PAL regions. The United States and Canada will probably be uncensored.  This goes nicely with the free speech discussion in the other thread, and in this one I'll say that I'll tattoo a swastika on my head if I frickin' want to. It is my right to do so, and the government should not be engaged in this sort of blatant restriction of free speech. Indeed, it is very easy to draw parallels to the censorship of the facist state to the censorship of any modern European state that wishes to atone for 20th century Nazism by pretending it never happened. "
    That's not entirely true. In Germany, pretending it never happened is a crime. "
    True.  While it is forbidden to display Nazi-related iconography in Germany, it's also a crime to deny the events that took place under the Third Reich never took place.  It is paradoxical, but at the same time, Germany neither wants to promote nor make people forget about what happened.
    Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30  Edited By Suicrat
    @Hailinel: It's only a paradox if you see communications control as the proper role of government. If you don't then you realize that both actions serve the same ends: to control speech and thought.
    Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Famov
    @Suicrat:
    Well yes, its illegal to deny the Holocaust, but I'm speaking of the spirit of a swastika ban. When you ban certain imagery simply because it symbolizes a dark part of your natoinal past, it seems (to me, anyway) as an unhealthy way of burying it.
    Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#32  Edited By Captainlunchbox

Real quick, just feel like I need to add this: There have been other WWII games where they have censored the swastika, and those games were supposed to be more on the historically accurate side. This like more fantasy WWII so I don't really mind it as much.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By jakob187

Nazi stuff is being censored out for the display versions as well as for press showings, as they don't want to potentially offend anyone while they are trying to show off the game.  I completely understand this reasoning, as it means they can sell THE GAME rather than someone saying "OMG, NAZI SYMBOL" and starting a whole shitload of controversy that's unnecessary.  Also, it allows the press to show the game off in any country without worrying if they can't show the Nazi stuff or not, etc etc. 

Unfortunately, after watching the quick look, I'm just not sure about the idea of an Irish race car driver climbing buildings with Altair-like ease.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Meowayne

That people here actually believe the swastika ban in Germany exist because of any kind of identification is extremely sad and pathetic.

Swastikas (as well as other symbols) are banned in trivial and commercial contexts if they are "glorified"; this extends to public assemblies, advertisements, and (as of yet) games or album covers (among other I suppose, but I can't think of any more context where anyone has been sensitive about them)

You see swastikas in German movies, TV, plays, books, comedy shows, etc. all the time.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By turbomonkey138

so looks like its not being censored in America . But i think the PAL version will be

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Meowayne said:

" That people here actually believe the swastika ban in Germany exist because of any kind of identification is extremely sad and pathetic.  Swastikas (as well as other symbols) are banned in trivial and commercial contexts if they are "glorified"; this extends to public assemblies, advertisements, and (as of yet) games or album covers (among other I suppose, but I can't think of any more context where anyone has been sensitive about them) You see swastikas in German movies, TV, plays, books, comedy shows, etc. all the time. "

I explained it in some detail at the Germany page in the giantbomb wiki.

Ironically, Germany itself applies the regular German Civil Code to video games, effectively prohibiting any depiction of flags or symbols used by the NSDAP. Even the smallest swastika has to be edited out or changed (often to a simple cross), much to the dismay of foreign developers, who have to adapt their content accordingly. Adolf Hitler usually gets written out of such games altogether, often leading to outlandish storytelling in the german editions. Many german gamers are upset by the apparent double standard since movies - being considered an art form by law - are not limited in this manner at all, as long as they don't aggrandize the Third Reich.
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By mrfizzy

Well i have the Aussie version (which is a PAL region) and our version is completely uncensored, swastikas, violence, nudity (if you download it) is all in there. As others have said, Germany (and maybe some other European countries?) have laws that ban the use of the swastika. My guess is that the developed only wanted to make one trailer so they edited it out. 

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By mrfizzy
    @turbomonkey138: believe me, its not. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfizzy said:
    "As others have said, Germany (and maybe some other European countries?) have laws that ban the use of the swastika.
    As far as I know Germany is the only country that doesn't allow video games to show NSDAP symbols while TV and films can freely show them. It's a double standard and the reasoning behind it is, well, non-existent, really.
    adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By adam_grif

A lot of games remove Swastikas and replace them with Iron Crosses, because it's illegal to display Swastikas in Germany in videogames. In other nations, the use of it is frowned upon, so sometimes devs either have two versions, one with one without, or just develop it without swastikas from the start to save trouble later.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#41  Edited By Yummylee

I'm just grateful it wasn't censored to the extremes of say....Wolfenstein 3D's console port lol

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By Shadow

wow...that is really, really stupid.  Is 4Kids directing pre-order trailers now?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By toowalrus

Anyone remember this? My bud had one, it was SO cool! Man, I miss elementary school.

No Caption Provided
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By nanikore
    @TooWalrus said:
    " Anyone remember this? My bud had one, it was SO cool! Man, I miss elementary school.

No Caption Provided
    "
    Man, Nazi Pokémons. That's amazing.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By xMP44x

There are swastikas in the game, both on the flags, and on the Nazi soldiers armbands. There is a swastika on the door of the Gestapo Cruiser as well as one of the tanks. The tank also has a Schutzstaffel (SS) logo on it, but I'm not sure which tank this is. I think it might be the Panzer, but I'm not certain. If you take a Nazi's uniform from his corpse, Sean does not wear the armband for some reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.