Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Saboteur

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Dec 08, 2009

The Saboteur is a action-packed, free-roaming sandbox game that takes place in Nazi-occupied France during World War II. Drive the Nazis out of Paris through whatever means necessary as Irish mechanic-turned-race-car-driver-turned-soldier-of-fortune Sean Devlin.

I'm so pumped.

Avatar image for nifflemuvpa7quab
    NiffleMuvpa7Quab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NiffleMuvpa7Quab

I'm getting The Saboteur tomorrow and I am ridiciously pumped for it.  Unfortunately it's coming out on a tuesday, which means sitting through an entire day of school in anticipation for this game.  Anybody else sharing my excitement for The Saboteur?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

I beat it yesterday.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By bed

I was really looking forward to it, but sadly I have too much on my game list and The Saboteur is all the way at the bottom. plus i'm broke so i couldn't pay for it anyway. 

NiffleMuvpa7Quab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NiffleMuvpa7Quab
    @CL60:
    Ya I heard it leaked, some develepor sent it out to a friend or something or other.  The cashier at Game Stop was telling me about it.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mmmslash

I also beat it yesterday.

It was really good, but there's too many freeplay targets, there's no way I will ever finish them.

NiffleMuvpa7Quab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NiffleMuvpa7Quab
    @AjayRaz:
    What've you got ahead of it?
    aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By aaox

Is this a sleeper hit? 'Cause I don't know much about it. All I know is what I've watched from the quick looks, and it seemed alright.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Mmmslash said:
    " I also beat it yesterday.  It was really good, but there's too many freeplay targets, there's no way I will ever finish them. "
    what do you mean there are to many targets? that sounds great to me.
    themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By themartyr

I'm so pumped for it and I don't have the cash for it, which is breaking my heart.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CL60
    @PeasForFees said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " I beat it yesterday. "
    How? "
    I got it early.
    Avatar image for ihaxedallreconcodez
    iHaxedAllReconCodez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate you. All of you who have it. All of you who are getting it.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I asked to get it for christmas, also pretty pumped

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mmmslash
    @trophyhunter: There are thousands of things to blow up, it's overwhelming.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Mmmslash said:
    " @trophyhunter: There are thousands of things to blow up, it's overwhelming. "
    well that's sounds great 
    you get overwhelmed to easy
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mmmslash
    @trophyhunter: Listen, give me a minute and I will come back with a screenshot. It's not that I get overwhelmed too easy, it's that I have to blow up the same 5 objects, 500 times a piece.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Mmmslash said:
    " @trophyhunter: Listen, give me a minute and I will come back with a screenshot. It's not that I get overwhelmed too easy, it's that I have to blow up the same 5 objects, 500 times a piece. "
    well atleast there is time consumeing stuff to do in the game that's all I ask for.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mmmslash
    @trophyhunter: It won't let me print screen for whatever reason, and I don't much feel like using capture software for something this silly.

Basically, you press '3', you take out dynamite, you put it at the base of the sniper tower, and you run away. Then you do it again, and again, and again. You almost never need to climb to the targets, and there's no incentive to do it, other than a percentage counter on your stats menu. It's... just not worthwhile of my time, I guess. It would take me another 10 hours to blow all of these up, and for no real reason...
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Mmmslash said:
    " @trophyhunter: It won't let me print screen for whatever reason, and I don't much feel like using capture software for something this silly.  Basically, you press '3', you take out dynamite, you put it at the base of the sniper tower, and you run away. Then you do it again, and again, and again. You almost never need to climb to the targets, and there's no incentive to do it, other than a percentage counter on your stats menu. It's... just not worthwhile of my time, I guess. It would take me another 10 hours to blow all of these up, and for no real reason... "
    well everything is worth my time
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mmmslash
    @trophyhunter: You could do anything, in any other game. If it's not very fun, and it's not rewarding, then... why?
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DystopiaX

it was on my list, until i saw how they f'ed up the climbing so that it's tedious, and made it so that you pretty much can't stealth a whole mission, unless you went out of your way to, which ruined the whole saboteur aspect for me. 

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By cstrang

I was kinda amped for this game for a while,  but after the quick look and looking at some of the reviews (which are generally pretty alright, but the stealth aspect is dogged) I can't justify the purchase of this game at the full $60 price point.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mmmslash
    @DystopiaX:@cstrang: Of the issues with the game, I felt the game did stealth better than any other open-world game has, excluding the Assassin's Creed franchise, of course.

Maybe it's because I just finished RF:G right before it, but it felt pretty alright.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By cstrang
    @Mmmslash: Yeah.  I just came off of  S-ranking Assassin's Creed 2.  I need to give The Saboteur some time to breathe and for my gaming palette to return to normal before I pick up the game (so I can enjoy it the most).  As the guys said in the QL: The game doesn't really do itself any favors coming out 3 weeks after Assassin's Creed 2.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mmmslash
    @cstrang: For sure, just know that the Stealth is fully functional.

If it gives any indication, the stealth works markedly better than it does in the Hitman series, which is a game in the stealth genre.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Mmmslash: I haven't played the game yet, but i've seen some LPs from people who got the game early, and it seems like: 
    1. The nazis notice you when you're in disguise way too fast, like they'll see you and 2 seconds later you're revealed. 
    2. If you're in disguise, how would they know that you're not a nazi? I think if you're in disguise, the only way you should be found is if you did something that would betray your identity, like planting explosives or killing someone. 

Also, I don't think that the stealth mechanics should be any worse because the game is an open world game. I think that it would be possible to have, say, MGS stealth mechanics in an open world game, since nothing there seems like it would be fixed-map specific.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mmmslash
    @DystopiaX: The way Stealth disguises work in the game is you get a small circle around you, on your minimap. When a Nazi is inside that circle, and one is looking at you, your suspicion meter goes up. If you are standing right next to a nazi, and suspicions go up, you can walk right by him, out of his line of sight,  and the meter stops filling. This meter gradually goes down, slowly at first, then much faster, when you are no longer under suspicion.

The faster you move, wheteher jogging or sprinting, makes that circle much larger. It's a Risk/Reward scenario. 

If you ARE seen by someone, indicated by a full yellow circle on the suspicion meter, you have the option to quickly run up, and take him out with melee, or use one of the two silenced weapons in the game to take him out before he blows his whistle, and alerts the entire area.

Of course, being seen doing silly things like blasting away other Nazi's or something like that gets them on you with the swiftness.

As for the open-world stealth aspect, I don't disagree that stealth gameplay should be a viable option in the genre, but I was comparing it to previous open world games that have always had severe issues with it. Whether it was the Mafia, with it's buggy in vehicle/out of vehicle wanted noterity, or San Andreas sneak-knife kill options, or Red Faction: Guerillas complete and total failure of crouching and hitting guys with sledgehammers, it's just done a lot better in Saboteur. I'm not saying it's perfect, or even close, but it's certainly more than functional.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By Ineedaname

This came out in the UK on the 4th, what's with the late American release date?

However, I'm pleasantly surprise, anyone in 2 minds should probably get it, it's better than I first though, the shooting is pretty solid, the stealth whilst not perfect is almost a proper viable option if done carefully, but you have to tread really softly because it's flawed a little on that side.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By ArchScabby

I want to play it too, just not right now.  I'll probably ask for it for my birthday in March.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Meltac

I wanted to buy it last week, but I'm just buying it this week ^^ Looks fun, and I could use me some irish accent

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Griddler

I'll pass, I've already got too many great games to finish

NiffleMuvpa7Quab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NiffleMuvpa7Quab

And now I play the waiting game.... Just got home from school.  Now I need to wait for mi madre to get home with the game. :( *sigh* Looks like i'll just have to play more Crackdown.  Yes, I just got it for the first time on Sunday.  I was a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle late. It's a great game though :P
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@iHaxedAllReconCodez said:
    "Hate you. All of you who have it. All of you who are getting it. "

why dont you get it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.