Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Secret of Monkey Island

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Oct 31, 1990

The first game in the legendary Monkey Island series. Guybrush's desire to become a swashbuckling pirate gets him more adventure than he bargained for.

Monkey Island special edition first impressions..

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sunjammer

..is that these guys have a good heart but no fucking clue what they're doing.

The art director apparently has no idea what MI3 and 4 decided was the MI look, even though the new MI episode carried that torch right on ahead. This game just seems like it dropped out of space; I have no idea why they decided to reinvent the wheel. It doesn't help that the new art is amateurish at best and abhorrent at worst. The character art in particular is completely out of touch with the MI vibe. Guybrush went from a wide-eyed kid with no real clue what he got himself into to this cocky unlikable hydrocephalic sod with a ridiculous haircut. I'm impressed with how bad of a service they gave him.

The music and sound are wonderful. The new voiceovers give the old script new life, and the remade music really works. Totally high-five worthy.

The interface is a complete and utter joke made by someone who has apparently never played much of an adventure game before. The verb grid and inventory are hidden to show off the new art (why?), but every verb is still in there. This means you basically have to mousewheel through 9 verbs! Since MI first came out, adventure games have evolved to the point where push-pull-give-use etc are all cooked into one "use" verb, which is the only reason a mousewheel cycle or "verb wheel" as in Full Throttle worked. Trying to adopt this approach with nine fucking verbs is completely ridiculous. The result of course is that you use the keyboard shortcuts for the verbs, but i feel thoroughly terrible for the console players who don't have that luxury. Speaking of keyboard; You have to push alt or i to bring up the inventory! I don't even know wether to laugh or cry at this. It's such a thoroughly idiotic design decision. There is literally no way to access the inventory without a keyboard command. You can't play this graphical adventure mouse only!

I'm fucking depressed now. I love this game so much - It's the first computer game i bought with my own money when i was a kid - and now Lucasarts apparently decided to give the job of remaking it to people who are out of touch with both the franchise and the genre. Thank god Telltale are doing good things with the episodes.

I'll obviously play this remake through to see all the new art, especially looking forward to monkey island itself, but the game, as an adventure game, is jacked. How can you fuck something this simple up so badly?

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sunjammer

..is that these guys have a good heart but no fucking clue what they're doing.

The art director apparently has no idea what MI3 and 4 decided was the MI look, even though the new MI episode carried that torch right on ahead. This game just seems like it dropped out of space; I have no idea why they decided to reinvent the wheel. It doesn't help that the new art is amateurish at best and abhorrent at worst. The character art in particular is completely out of touch with the MI vibe. Guybrush went from a wide-eyed kid with no real clue what he got himself into to this cocky unlikable hydrocephalic sod with a ridiculous haircut. I'm impressed with how bad of a service they gave him.

The music and sound are wonderful. The new voiceovers give the old script new life, and the remade music really works. Totally high-five worthy.

The interface is a complete and utter joke made by someone who has apparently never played much of an adventure game before. The verb grid and inventory are hidden to show off the new art (why?), but every verb is still in there. This means you basically have to mousewheel through 9 verbs! Since MI first came out, adventure games have evolved to the point where push-pull-give-use etc are all cooked into one "use" verb, which is the only reason a mousewheel cycle or "verb wheel" as in Full Throttle worked. Trying to adopt this approach with nine fucking verbs is completely ridiculous. The result of course is that you use the keyboard shortcuts for the verbs, but i feel thoroughly terrible for the console players who don't have that luxury. Speaking of keyboard; You have to push alt or i to bring up the inventory! I don't even know wether to laugh or cry at this. It's such a thoroughly idiotic design decision. There is literally no way to access the inventory without a keyboard command. You can't play this graphical adventure mouse only!

I'm fucking depressed now. I love this game so much - It's the first computer game i bought with my own money when i was a kid - and now Lucasarts apparently decided to give the job of remaking it to people who are out of touch with both the franchise and the genre. Thank god Telltale are doing good things with the episodes.

I'll obviously play this remake through to see all the new art, especially looking forward to monkey island itself, but the game, as an adventure game, is jacked. How can you fuck something this simple up so badly?

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By zagzagovich

Just finished the first part.
    Completely agree on the interface part. The fact that my mouse wheel is not working properly makes it even worse. On top of that the mouse can actually go beyond the border of the screen so I have to be careful when moving around and it messes up the cursor when choosing a dialog option. The interface was always the thing that made me skip the first few games but now I would rather have that.
    I can deal with the art plus the sound is great and there really is no other remake I can play.

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
    LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By LonelySpacePanda

I agree the visual look really turned me off.  Reminded me of early 90s cartoons trying to appeal to urban youth.  I'm not even sure what that means but it sounds right.  Bebe's Kids?  Either way, it turned me off and being that this is mainly a visual makeover of a old game, what's the point of purchasing?  Honestly, I wish they included the original version in the package.  I got so excited when I saw pixelated Guybrush in the intro.  Give me that game back with the new interface and voice work. 

This is funny because I thought Tales was going to be the bad one, when I think it carries promise to be the best in the series.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By gearhead

I disagree on most of your points. I think the graphics and art look amazing, and the interface runs fine, though a little clunky at first. I'm playing on the 360 which it seems like the game was ultimately designed for with the gameplay interface.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By hinderk

I've only played a little bit of it, but what I did play seemed fine. I actually liked the artwork, the music was awesome, and the interface seemed good enough to me. So far it seems like a great remake of a great game.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CowMuffins

I played this. The mousewheel is a pain in the buttocks, but at least you can bind them to keys. The game bugged on me and the business card was erased from my inventory. So now I have to start the whole game over again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.