Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Secret of Monkey Island

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Oct 31, 1990

The first game in the legendary Monkey Island series. Guybrush's desire to become a swashbuckling pirate gets him more adventure than he bargained for.

SE better than the original?

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Its the same game with updated graphics, redone music, and it is now fully voiced. How could it not be better?

Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Dante_the_Jedi
    @JeffGoldblum:  The fact that Guybrush look bad, the game now animates poorly and you can't the the voice in the classic look. I would have liked to pick to have the voice in the old look not just had it taken away. Options > No Options
    CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By CoinMatze

Awwww c'mon! It doesn't animate poorly. It animates the same. It just looks odd with crisper graphics and old framerates. But they did it this way so you can switch between old and new on the fly. But you're right: It's a bummer that you can't mix as you please.

I like the new art style and Dom Armato is spot on as Guybrush as always. I have only played the trial so far because I don't have any points on my Xbox Live account, so I don't know how the fight against Fester works out. Just can't imagine it being as funny with voice over.

If they do that thang for MI2 then yay me.

Avatar image for captainreynolds
    CaptainReynolds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By CaptainReynolds

I have only played about one hour of the special edition and so far it is excellent. I have no complaints whatsoever

Mukor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Mukor

On xbla - controlwise I'd go for classic, I like seeing inventory and verbs on screen. Are these hidden on PC the same way?

However, I think the voice acting swings it for SE. For what they're charging, it's totally worth it, though I would entirely have paid twice as much for a full remake.
    Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dante_the_Jedi
    @CoinMatze: I would not mind a load screen if they made the game not animate like ass. It looks ok on old sprites, but nice new one no more frames are needed. 
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @CoinMatze said:
    "Awwww c'mon! It doesn't animate poorly. It animates the same. It just looks odd with crisper graphics and old framerates. But they did it this way so you can switch between old and new on the fly. But you're right: It's a bummer that you can't mix as you please. I like the new art style and Dom Armato is spot on as Guybrush as always. I have only played the trial so far because I don't have any points on my Xbox Live account, so I don't know how the fight against Fester works out. Just can't imagine it being as funny with voice over. If they do that thang for MI2 then yay me. "

This, it's like people complaining Street Fighter II HD Remix animated terribly, not only does it animate well considering the codes age, but updating it would fundamentally change the game AND be very very costly and require a bigger dev team.

So the gameplay wouldnt change, sure, but it would still have been a very costly and time consuming endeavor to do that, and I think it looks fine.

The style is another matter though, personally I like it a lot, others maybe not so much. His hair is huge though.
    Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dante_the_Jedi

The thing is it is only like a few frames off being good, and it would not change game play in a point and click game. I mean add about 3 or 4 more frames to everything and bam awesome!

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Dante_the_Jedi:

I already made the point the gameplay wouldnt change, but unfortunately this is a similar style port to HD Remix, it's not a total remake, it looks like theyve simply buffed up the display options in the code and overlaed the new artwork, which means adding new frames would mean changing a LOT more code in the animation functions and could take a lot of extra work, time and money.

Even if it was just a few extra frames for Guybrush alone.
    Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dante_the_Jedi
    @The_A_Drain: And we all know that Lucas really have no money as they are so small, I know I am pissed over small things, I was just hoping for this to be really awesome and not the mess it is.
    CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CoinMatze

I think we should all be lucky that Monkey Island even gets this treatment. If you asked me like half a year ago I would have put all my money on not ever seeing the series again. I couldn't care less about missing frames or giant hairdos. It's Guybrush in HD!! But I agree on the "options > no options".

And although I like the new art style: I'm not changing my avatar! Just wanted to get that out there.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Dante_the_Jedi said:
    "@The_A_Drain: And we all know that Lucas really have no money as they are so small, I know I am pissed over small things, I was just hoping for this to be really awesome and not the mess it is."

Well. i'll respectfully disagree that it's a mess, and say that the fact Lucas is swimming in money is precisely because they dont throw it away on useless things like that (in my opinion, useless) given that it only matters to, well, from what i've see so far one person in the whole world. Would you really rather have paid 1200 points for it to have an extra couple frames of animation? And possibly waited another 3 months? Given these remakes/updates are worked on by very very small teams it might even have taken longer it depends how much of a mess the original code is.

I support your right to complain, I just feel the need to respectfully state what you are asking for would have been impossible unless Lucas were prepared to literally throw some money away, and what business does that? Even their charity donations are tax deductable.
    Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dante_the_Jedi
    @The_A_Drain:
     I know, what you are say. I am odd I know, as I would pay more for more frames of animation, but I am an animation nut so yeah. I think I need to man up and get over it and hope for a patch for voice in the old look. I hope a lot more people play this game and enjoy it so that we can go back to smart games.
    Man I love talking this out with people it helps me vent my rage at things out and become happier with the game, Hell I have the old game to play fully old and awesome!
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Dante_the_Jedi:

Yeah I definately support choice, it seems like a big missed opportunity that you cant use the voices in classic mode, it surprised the heck outta me and I could imagine thats actually going to lose them some potential sales.
    Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dante_the_Jedi
    @The_A_Drain:

I would have not got it if I had the info now, and had seen more of the new look. But I have it now and can play it without DosBox. Anywho I think I am going stop my bitching, nothing that can be done now, a guy yelling on-line dose nothing.
    CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CoinMatze
    @Dante_the_Jedi:
    I just don't get where your high expectations come from. Being an animation nut or not, this thing was so unlikely to happen that anything should be great. I'm having more problems with Guybrush's look in Tales of MI right now.

Edit: Why play it on DosBox when ScummVM does it so much better?
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By vidiot
    Mess my ass. How the hell is it a mess? Because they kept the same set of animation frames?
    No.
    Battlefield 1943, was a "mess". Raise your standards for what the hell a "mess" is.

It's like bitching about Bethesda using clothing with stitching, instead of a blue rubber jump suit for the vault clothing. Jesus christ. A nitpick is going to throw off an entire game for you?

The frames of animation for the characters are the same because it fits perfectly with the original version that you can jump back and forth between. It's that simple, it makes sense from a technical and aesthetic point of view.

Your getting a full blown remake with all new HD art, new music, fully voiced with the option of jumping back effortlessly between the new version and the original classic: Thus complimenting fans of the old, enticing new fans, and letting older fans have fun seeing a twenty year old game re-imagined.

It's also 800pts. Which, seeing other certain overpriced titles on Live, is ridiculously reasonable for what your getting.

Why are we debating this?
    Unless this game changes dramatically (Not finished with it yet.), this looks like one of the best remakes ever made and should be considered a standard and example for future products.
    Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dante_the_Jedi
    @CoinMatze:

I don't really know I just was hoping is all, dumb I know but oh well. Oh yeah ScummVM...I just us DosBox all the time and have a Dos PC still so yeah...oh and I can record DosBox. But yes I use ScummVM for most other Lucas games.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By mracoon

It's the same game but the voice acting really adds a lot to the game. I'm also a fan of the new art style but the classic graphics are still great to look at, probably because of nostalgia more then anything else.

Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dante_the_Jedi
    @vidiot:

Did you not see me saying that I had got over it, and take back that i called it a mess? maybe not. I am happy with it now. Still think Guybrush looks wrong, but that is up to me. I love the redone music the voice and the backgrounds.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

SE is great. The art style is fantastic, the voice acting is fantastic, the music is fantastic. And you can switch back to the original at the press of a button.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_A_Drain

Yeah I too want to jump on the bandwagon and comment on the music, it's so stylish i've found myself sitting in the menu and listening to it while I find out how to get the last 2 achieves I missed :D It's so well done I wouldnt mind the chance to purchase it.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By makari

The new spit and polish is cool, but I can see where Dante_the_Jedi is coming from. The way they've done it is a design choice that is very limiting. By simply adding a 'looks and sounds cool' layer on top of the original, they can do the awesome 'switch between old and new' thing, but the animation can look a little janky for a game that looks so great in all other aspects. It's nothing that makes me think the game is any worse than the original, I just can't help but wonder what it'd be like if they re-did the game from the ground up with extra frames of animation for the characters and just added the classic as an unlockable extra instead. It's great to see Stan's amazing plaid shirt effect is faithfully intact from the original though, and staying underwater for over 10 minutes nabbing you an achievement was delightful.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JJOR64

If I had the points, I would easily buy this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.