Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Secret of Monkey Island

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Oct 31, 1990

The first game in the legendary Monkey Island series. Guybrush's desire to become a swashbuckling pirate gets him more adventure than he bargained for.

The Secret of Monkey Island

JuanSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By JuanSolid

"I got this scar on my face from a mighty battle"
    "I hope you have learned to quit picking your nose"

This game is a classic and playing through it on XBL is great. I do have complaint's about the controls, but that's better left for a video review or a let's play. It is just really hard to explain the problem with menu switching and item selection here. well, maybe I will try. Left trigger is how you pull up your use action menu, and right triger is how you pull up your use item menu. You use left stick, or Dpad to move around in these menu's. This is fine except that the action menu always over laps the item menu, requiring you pull left trigger again to hide the action menu if it was up at any time you wish to access the item menu. What is also troublesome is the rules of how to move within these menus. For example for a puzzle that requires you 'use' inventory items on other inventory items you must use the analog stick for all selections. Well not all of them, but up to the point where you select use on the first item you want, you will have to pull up the inventory screen again and use analog left to choose what to use item 1 with. If you use Dpad here, it disregards what you had selected and goes to the hot Dpad action the direction your pressing is ties too as well as disabling Dpad movement in the menu until you reset everything , and you have to start all over again. This little conflict with the controls, which feels like a bug, but is most likely not since the hot keys are supposed to be known I suppose (although they never activate in the menu until you physically have something selected), has ruined a quest over 3 times for me until I figured out what the hell was going on.

I do let's play's and this is one I may never end up doing, even though it seems like it would be great too. I have played about 3.5 hours with friends and everyone has given me their input, but we all had a unanimous 'wtf' moment when I kept failing to use the action menu and item menu within itself twice, 3 times in a row. It's embarrassing, and now that I know, any play through after this would be less pure. Maybe more entertaining since I know what the hell is going on though.

One more moment we were all confused on was a push and pull puzzle. They give you the answer on how you need to move a directional handle in 90 degree increments. You go up there and push (B is default for this) the proper amount of times, select pull and do that over and over the proper amount of times, than push B to pull and it fails and you have to start over. WTF? Turns out the B button apparently remembers the push or pull command used last. so you only need to select the action once from the action menu and it hotkeys to B besides the basic hot keys to the Dpad.......

I remember good old king's quest where the menu would pause the game and let you choose stuff without worry of passage of time. this game is real time and there is no way to pause and use figure out what to use in this XBL version. I never played the original, but I imagine a mouse and keyboard were more useful for these types of games. Hell, if they would just let me use the mouse/analog to access a menu that gave me inventory and action options, I would probably have no complaint's at all. well I would have 1, the analog moves too slow, but what do i care when I can pause time while choosing my action?

Solid Out.

JuanSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By JuanSolid

"I got this scar on my face from a mighty battle"
    "I hope you have learned to quit picking your nose"

This game is a classic and playing through it on XBL is great. I do have complaint's about the controls, but that's better left for a video review or a let's play. It is just really hard to explain the problem with menu switching and item selection here. well, maybe I will try. Left trigger is how you pull up your use action menu, and right triger is how you pull up your use item menu. You use left stick, or Dpad to move around in these menu's. This is fine except that the action menu always over laps the item menu, requiring you pull left trigger again to hide the action menu if it was up at any time you wish to access the item menu. What is also troublesome is the rules of how to move within these menus. For example for a puzzle that requires you 'use' inventory items on other inventory items you must use the analog stick for all selections. Well not all of them, but up to the point where you select use on the first item you want, you will have to pull up the inventory screen again and use analog left to choose what to use item 1 with. If you use Dpad here, it disregards what you had selected and goes to the hot Dpad action the direction your pressing is ties too as well as disabling Dpad movement in the menu until you reset everything , and you have to start all over again. This little conflict with the controls, which feels like a bug, but is most likely not since the hot keys are supposed to be known I suppose (although they never activate in the menu until you physically have something selected), has ruined a quest over 3 times for me until I figured out what the hell was going on.

I do let's play's and this is one I may never end up doing, even though it seems like it would be great too. I have played about 3.5 hours with friends and everyone has given me their input, but we all had a unanimous 'wtf' moment when I kept failing to use the action menu and item menu within itself twice, 3 times in a row. It's embarrassing, and now that I know, any play through after this would be less pure. Maybe more entertaining since I know what the hell is going on though.

One more moment we were all confused on was a push and pull puzzle. They give you the answer on how you need to move a directional handle in 90 degree increments. You go up there and push (B is default for this) the proper amount of times, select pull and do that over and over the proper amount of times, than push B to pull and it fails and you have to start over. WTF? Turns out the B button apparently remembers the push or pull command used last. so you only need to select the action once from the action menu and it hotkeys to B besides the basic hot keys to the Dpad.......

I remember good old king's quest where the menu would pause the game and let you choose stuff without worry of passage of time. this game is real time and there is no way to pause and use figure out what to use in this XBL version. I never played the original, but I imagine a mouse and keyboard were more useful for these types of games. Hell, if they would just let me use the mouse/analog to access a menu that gave me inventory and action options, I would probably have no complaint's at all. well I would have 1, the analog moves too slow, but what do i care when I can pause time while choosing my action?

Solid Out.

ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ToadRunner

Ancient chinese secret of monkey island

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.