Is this on Steam?

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CenturionCajun

After watching the Quick Look I find this game strangely enticing. I could never get into the regular Sims games but one in which you manage a kingdom sounds incredibly interesting. However, I have decided I don't ever want to buy a physical copy of a PC game again but this game isn't showing up on Steam. Is it true it isn't there or am I just missing it?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It isn't on Steam. I don't know why. It's on other download services though. I've seen it on GamersGate & Direct 2 Drive, and I'm sure EA will have it on their own download store too.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Well, it's an EA game. So it will probably eventually be on Steam...but in the meantime, they'll want to get people to buy it from the EA Store or any other store that's not Steam.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CenturionCajun

Shame. I have a strict Steam only policy. Oh well I guess I can wait until it appears.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By abdo
@CenturionCajun said:
" I have decided I don't ever want to buy a physical copy of a PC game again
Why is that?
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By penguindust

None of the Sims games are on Steam.  I doubt it will be there soon.   EA has released a few games on Steam, but this is one franchise they seem to be holding on to.  Eventually on Steam?  Probably.  Soon?  Ask the magic 8-Ball.   

EDIT: The above is baloney! 

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By 2HeadedNinja
@PenguinDust said:
" None of the Sims games are on Steam.  I doubt it will be there soon.   EA has released a few games on Steam, but this is one franchise they seem to be holding on to.  Eventually on Steam?  Probably.  Soon?  Ask the magic 8-Ball.   "
Hmm, a quick search shows me at least Sims 3 + 5 AddOns in steam 
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By penguindust
@MattyFTM:  
@2HeadedNinja:
  I stand corrected.  The last time I went looking none of them were there.  I should have checked before I made that statement.  Memory is never enough in this ever changing world.  Thank you for alerting me and others to my error.  
CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CenturionCajun
@abdo:  Just the fact that I have run out of space in my house for books and PC games. Books because they take up so much space and are heavy and PC games because they are almost impossible to find in a physical capacity after about two months of being out. Well, if you don't want WoW or the Sims. Only after having my CD collection stolen was I forced to finally give up the ghost and from now on go completely digital with music as well. In a completely opposite stance I shall cling to my physical media console games till the bitter end.
nelander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By nelander

I am also kind of baffled by the fact this game is not available on steam. It is not like they are shunning digital distribution, only steam. After the fiasco with the dragon age signature 2 edition it seems like EA has something against steam (I know 2 data points a pattern don't make but still ) I prefer steam for my PC purchases, I caved on dragon age 2, but this game would have been more of an impulse buy so I am waiting it out or until some very strong reviews come to convince me that it is a must play game (seems unlikely)

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CenturionCajun

Well, reviews are already out and it's scoring quite well. Plus it just looks interesting from the Quick Look. The only thing I can figure is that EA is trying to make as much money as possible from selling it digitally over their own network. Then they'll release it on Steam in a couple of months.

nelander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nelander

@centurioncajun except they are selling at d2d and gamersgate, so is not like they want exclusive digital sales, they are singling out steam. in time I am sure they will sell it there as in the long run they only hurting themselves.

m1k3ines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By m1k3ines

EA is selling it online through their store, that could be one reason why its not on steam. But then again its on D2D, so i dont really know.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15  Edited By the8bitNacho

The game isn't available on Steam because the only digital versions of the game that currently exist contain both the Windows installer and the Mac OS X dmg file. Transgaming, the company that ports The Sims for  OS X, does not support Steam, so the game will not be available through the service until EA gets around to making a standalone Windows version. Which can't be hard.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Doesn't seem to be. At least not yet. 
Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Taklulas

Could always pirate it? That'll show them for not putting it on steam! /sarcasm

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By warxsnake

EA has been a bitch lately on Steam. They dont like the fact that steam is taking a cut out of their sales. Why isnt the BF3 preorder on Steam? Why did hot pursuit take a week to get on steam? Why wasnt the preorder S.E. Dragon Age 2 on Steam. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By mikemcn
@abdo
@CenturionCajun said:
Why is that?
Until games are once more in containers the size of cereal boxes, i have no patience for them.
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@abdo said:

" @CenturionCajun said:

Why is that? "
Ever lost a CD Key? 

Also, I have to wonder, why did you just search for the game to find your answer? It's not like the Steam search feature hides games... And if all your games are on Steam, surely you let it run at all times.
nelander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nelander

I have heard several people arguing that EA issues with steam is because they take a cut, but that makes no sense. every single retailer takes/keep a portion of the profits.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox
@MordeaniisChaos said:
" @abdo said:
" @CenturionCajun said:
Why is that? "
Ever lost a CD Key? "
Coincidentally, if you lose the disc to most EA games but still own the key, you can use it to register the game to your EA Downloader account, effectively making it the digital version. 

EA games are the only PC games I'll buy from places other than Steam because of this. Bought a couple games on disc or from Impulse and I never put the disc in my drive nor used the Impulse client aside from the one-time act of retrieving my key.

More and more games are adopting Steamworks, which offers this benefit as well. But even those, I'll just buy using the Steam client since even the disc copies require Steam activation.
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@MrKlorox:  So, lets waste gas to get a game I'll end up downloading later? Whats the point? Mind as well just buy it on Steam, and not waste and time or money going to the store, and get the added benefit of Steam's overlay and the potential for Steamworks. Thats pretty much how I feel about games on Steam that offer services like that.
Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By Cameron

I was really annoyed by this too. With the exception of Blizzard games, I only buy PC games on Steam. I like having all of my (non-Starcraft II) games in one place.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrKlorox
@MordeaniisChaos: Who said anything about going to the store? Also you act like the Steam overlay isn't universal as long as you add the game to your library.

@Cameron said:
" I was really annoyed by this too. With the exception of Blizzard games, I only buy PC games on Steam. I like having all of my (non-Starcraft II) games in one place. "
Ah yes, Blizzard does this also. Too bad regular-ass Activision games aren't supported in this way.
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@MrKlorox: No one, I was just saying that the whole "register your game with EA to be able to download it later if you lose the CD/key" thing is kind of moot when you can just buy it on Steam> And yes, the OVERLAY works with any game even if its not a steam game, but steamworks is totally separate. Not every game supports it, but the ones that do, it's a really nice set of features. Plus I'd rather have all of my games in Steam so that I can easily download and manage all my games at once. 

And yaah, I was going to mention Blizzard, but at this point, I'd still probably prefer to just get the digital copy right away rather than dealing with physical media.
yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By yyZiggurat

I was really interested in this from the QL.  Guess I'll wait for it to hit Steam, its not like I don't have plenty of other PC games to play.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CenturionCajun

I continue to wait for this to hit Steam. I want to give you my money EA. I have never played a Sims game before yet I want this one. Why won't you let me give you my money?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#29  Edited By BeachThunder

Is now...

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By yyZiggurat

Its on Steam now.  People on the Steam forums are complaining about the Securom DRM that's packaged with the game.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CenturionCajun

Well, I'm downloading it as we speak. Why would they need more security than Steam itself?

rawrsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By rawrsair

It'd be good if it was on steam

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.