Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Sims Medieval

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

The Sims' modern setting is put aside for a medieval one for this standalone title in the popular life simulator franchise.

Was this game under the radar or what?

Halopower67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Halopower67

This game seemed to come outta nowhere or was that just me? Has anyone played it? Is it any good?

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Aishan

I cannot really blame people if they look at the name and assume it's just the newest entry in the long line of Sims expansion kits, rather than a standalone game.  They haven't really marketed it for whatever reason.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I've known about the game and I have seen a little marketing for it but I just don't feel motivated to go out of my way to learn any more about it, even as someone who's been a fairly big Sims fan. Maybe there's genuinely things to like about the game but conceptually it seems such an out of place entry to the series.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By GeekDown

Do people even care about Sims games anymore?

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Subjugation

It's The Sims in medieval times on rails. I'm not sure what to think about that.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CL60

I didn't know it came out.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Meltac

From what I've heard it's supposedly not that bad, and it doesn't look that bad actually. 

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IBurningStar

I didn't know it even existed until Turk popped up on TV and started telling me all about it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Animasta

I've heard it's actually pretty cool. Someone said it was most like The Guild (which I haven't played, admittedly) but it's still interesting.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By endless_void

I saw a commercial about it the other day, so it's definitely getting marketed, I just haven't too many reviews.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Lemmycaution217
    @IBurningStar: Turkleton needs a job. :( It was horrible seeing him in Skyline and this commercial.
    lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lebkin
    @Aishan said:
    " I cannot really blame people if they look at the name and assume it's just the newest entry in the long line of Sims expansion kits, rather than a standalone game.  They haven't really marketed it for whatever reason. "
    I imagine the marketing will increase now that the game is out. The primary market for Sims games are not game savvy people. They are the "go to the store and buy it when they see an ad" kind of people. So now is the time for ads to increase. 
    essi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By essi2

Just bought this game purely out of boredom... didn't even know it was out in Europe yet. Here's to hoping it's good.

@Laketown If it's anything like The Guild it might be pretty good.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By keyhunter

Little marketing for it? I saw a TV advertisement. That's more marketing than most games get.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I only knew it came out because I saw it on GamersGate. I haven't seen any stuff on games sites or any form of marketing from EA. Granted, I'm not particularly interested in the game, so there might have been some coverage that I just glanced over and then immediately forgot about, but there is usually a big song and dance about new Sims games, with EA making a big marketing push. But that clearly hasn't happened this time.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By endaround

I think EA is mostly selling this to the Sims army and so isn't doing a big push elsewhere.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mfpantst

I care moderately about Sims games- in the way that Ryan talks about them.  And this interests me.

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Von

Played it for a an hour before work today. It's actually pretty good, but it's not a reskinned Sims 3. You get less stats to worry about for your sims (like hygiene, social etc) so now you only have hunger and tiredness to worry about. The game also constantly give you quests in the form of "go here, collect wood, go there, put a bully in the stockades" but there are indications that more complex quests present themselves further into the game. Swordfights are neat, since you can visit a market or a blacksmith and buy/create armor and weapons that, depending on how much they weight, make you think twice before attacking a heavily armed knight with plate armor when you only got chainmail and a pointy stick. The speed advantage could make you win the fight... or fail miserably, unless you planned ahead and created some healing potions.  

You can't customize as much as in Sims 3. All clothes are one-pieces and you can't design your own buildings. You can only buy furniture, decorations and stuff like that to populate your castle or other buildings. The camera is also changed, with several different modes but you can still navigate just like in Sims 3. All your sims are also of a special class, like knights, spy, monarch, priest, with different skills and traits and I believe unique items too (Didn't get that far before I had to quit playing). 

Overall, so far, it didn't seem like a bad purchase. I heard that the quests get a bit repetitive after a few complete replays, but what game haven't had that problem... expansion packs might fix that too.

essi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By essi2

I've played it for awhile now and it's not bad... perhaps even good.

Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Onno10

I don't get who this game is for anyway. 
    The Sims is targeted to girls who've hardly played a game before, and the people who like the medieval ages would probably prefer playing a game like skyrim or mount and blade instead.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By mikemcn
    @GeekDown said:
    " Do people even care about Sims games anymore? "
    The thing about the Sims is that someone always cares. 
    KimParnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KimParnage

I've played about 7-8 hours of it, and i actually like it! 

My girlfriend is a The Sims 3 addict, but she does not like The Sims Medieval.. Its not like regular Sims at all..  

Its way more of an adventure game, and its actually a good one.. You have up to 10 different character types, and at the start of each quest you decide who you'll play the quest as.. 
    The quests are surprisingly well written, has different game references and a good sense of humor.. The quests has multiple paths depending on the character you pick, the approach you choose, the secondary character you choose and the choices you make during the quest.. 

I'd say the game is an Adventure game most of all.. and with the time i've spent with it i'd say it has potential to be a good one.. 

Don't be put off by the "Sims" name.. It's NOT that kind of game.. 

Sorry for the long post but i hope i've helped shed some light on what the game is..

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By fox01313

If it was an expansion I'd pass it up but with it being a standalone item with other possibilities on expansions then it might be worth it.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

It's the sims

unless you're capable of having periods who the fuck cares

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DeeGee

So many trolls in this thread it's ridiculous.

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By bulletstorm

I don't know who this game is for; the people I know who play Sims games are casual gamers as fuck - they certainly have no interest in a medieval simulation game. And the people I know who are into medieval stuff probably think themselves better than to play a SIMS -labeled medieval game. 

krazedkaoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By krazedkaoz

I'm a hardcore gamer but still love the sims. medieval is a fun game. i'd rate it 4 out of 5. it's alot different then what you think a sim game should be.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShaggE

I have no interest in Medieval, but calling The Sims "casual" or "female-oriented" is doing it a grave disservice. 

mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#29  Edited By mariussmit

EA is trying to destroy every game they distribute. Because The Sims is already suitable for a casual audience they cannot "streamline" it and therefore they are going for "not marketing it at all".

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Onno10 said:
    " I don't get who this game is for anyway.  The Sims is targeted to girls who've hardly played a game before, and the people who like the medieval ages would probably prefer playing a game like skyrim or mount and blade instead. "
    I play all kinds of games and I love The Sims. Then again, I mix/max the shit out of it like a real man should. 
    krazedkaoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By krazedkaoz

I've seen TV ADs for it.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mfpantst

hey0oh.  I own the sims medieval.  And though I own it for my wife I've sunk more hours into the game then her.  It's pretty fun.  Though it's more structured than regular sims which makes the 'hard' part go away for me.  And playing it just made me want to find a dragon age to play, so maybe there's that against it.

null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By null
    @xaLieNxGrEyx: Bravo on that witty repartee, sir. XxxSmokEdOg420xXx would be proud. Jesus fucking christ.

Anyway, this game sounds like it might be a decent, low-investment  "I'm bored and need to distract myself" kind of thing. Maybe worth checking out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.