Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Stanley Parable

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 17, 2013

The Stanley Parable is an abstract, psychological, dark and humorous meta-narrative that attempts to make its choices void, journey paradoxical and generate discussion about storytelling in video games.

GB GOTY discussions: bias against The Stanley Parable

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm still going through GOTY deliberations, so maybe The Stanley Parable gets it's props. But Jeff keeps preventing The Stanley Parable from getting nominated for rewards because it was a mod first, then a retail product later. Yet Antichamber (which was a mod first) and Papers Please (which was a flash game first) don't get cut for the same reason.

Why does Jeff hate The Stanley Parable?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

P.S. Brad is bad at games.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@chiablo said:

I don't think he does. I think he recognizes that it's just not as good as some people like to think.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Hahaha oh god this thread.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: Jeff has fought for The Stanley Parable at just about every opportunity so far.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chiablo

@oldirtybearon said:

@chiablo said:

I don't think he does. I think he recognizes that it's just not as good as some people like to think.

I personally wasn't a huge fan of the game myself... but during the "Best New Character" everyone was rooting for the Narrator, but Jeff shot it down because the game was a mod first. Pretty much the only category The Stanley Parable had a chance of winning was Best New Character and it was thrown out due to a technicality that they completely ignore for other games.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Gaff

What? You do know that the category was "Best NewCharacter", right?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiablo said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@chiablo said:

I personally wasn't a huge fan of the game myself... but during the "Best New Character" everyone was rooting for the Narrator, but Jeff shot it down because the game was a mod first. Pretty much the only category The Stanley Parable had a chance of winning was Best New Character and it was thrown out due to a technicality that they completely ignore for other games.

He also said that the narrator would have ran away with the category if it wasn't already a mod. I don't disagree that the reasoning behind cutting it was arbitrary but has nothing to do with Jeff "hating" the game. In fact, I think he feels the exact opposite.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By joshwent

Yeah man. It's such a shame that no one heard of this game, and that the creators will be henceforth banned from game development because "the narrator" didn't win a non award in a pointless list.

People, again, GotY lists are a fun way to see what some cool individuals liked this year. Not for you to in any way judge their opinions against yours.

5Figh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you're confusing bias with just weird categorisation. I agree that Stanley Parable getting disqualified for this reason is odd but that's just the bizarre nature of the way GB handles these awards. They all seem to really love the game.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

K. Wessel is the real best new character.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwhom

@milkman said:

also it almost won the best moment category, it won over goddamn Bioshock. Gimme a break, kitkat.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaff said:

Ni no Kuni came out in Japan in 2011, which featured Mr. Drippy. He is not a new character and yet is a runner up.

Leonshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiablo said:

@gaff said:

Ni no Kuni came out in Japan in 2011, which featured Mr. Drippy. He is not a new character and yet is a runner up.

It came out in the west in 2013, and the localization of the character was tailor-made for the english localization.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwhom

The earliest sketches of the Letuces date to 2010 they're not new bias much

Also did you even read the link you gave for antichamber? All it states was Antichamber used to be called Hazard, and back when it was called Hazard it was an arena combat game. Which is a little different from remaking a mod. DOTA2 should be your only gripe, but its not really a gripe because Brad's the only person who doesnt think it sucks. But that was his private list, and TSP made it on plenty of personal lists.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I played the mod TWO YEARS ago, thought it was really clever. And it was pretty popular too, many people played it.

Now suddenly the retail thing comes out and its the salvation of all video games.

I think they treat it exactly fairly - it doesn't really belong in any best NEW thing category, because it's not new.

Also, as someone else said, Antichamber and Papers, Please weren't nominated. Even though Papers, Please was a flash game, pretty sure it came out this year (or even late last year) even in that form.

5Figh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By 5Figh

@cybertification: Oh sorry my apologies for some reason I thought this was about a whole other thing. I think my point about the OP's confusion stands though.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, this thread is dumb. Just wanted to say that.

Peace

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think some here get their panties all twisted over this GOTY stuff. Just calm down... it's supposed to be fun no one actually loses anything if they don't win a category.

To me the main fun are the recap clips, the guest lists and the podcasts with the guys deliberating and having fun.

(I can't wait for the shitstorm that will ensue once people find out that 'The Last of Us' isn't the winner of GOTY.)

No Caption Provided

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#23  Edited By StarvingGamer

I don't see anything having to do with Papers, Please and Antichamber winning Best New Character/Best Debut.

@leonshade said:

@chiablo said:

@gaff said:

It came out in the west in 2013, and the localization of the character was tailor-made for the english localization.

Even if his localization wasn't crazy custom, this is a really fucking stupid complaint.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By JasonR86

@chiablo said:

I'm still going through GOTY deliberations, so maybe The Stanley Parable gets it's props. But Jeff keeps preventing The Stanley Parable from getting nominated for rewards because it was a mod first, then a retail product later. Yet Antichamber (which was a mod first) and Papers Please (which was a flash game first) don't get cut for the same reason.

You're drawing a dramatic, big conclusion from Jeff's concerns about highly specific topics. Antichamber and Papers Please weren't up for the rewards where the 'newness' of The Stanley Parable was an issue (i.e. Best NEW Character). It's rather silly to assume Jeff hates The Stanley Parable because he noted that calling it 'new' was an issue for those particularly, highly specific topics.

Come on dude.

Unless this is a joke and you just want an idiot like me to point out the silliness of your issue. In which case, you suck. But if you are being serious, come on dude.

Also all GOTY everything ever is arbitrary anyway so getting upset about them is like getting upset about review scores. It's all dumb. No offense.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Christoffer

Maybe it's because they don't remember the reasonings they had in previous discussions. It's GOTY-awards. I take that less serious than Unprofessional Fridays.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

While entertaining enough, this years somewhat awkward deliberations are really not worth this level of scrutiny.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@milkman said:

And he's leaving didn't you know?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#28 gamer_152  Moderator

@gaff said:

Yeah, I think it comes down to this. Now, you can argue with Jeff that The Narrator being in a mod before doesn't disqualify him as a new character, but I really don't think that exposes a bias, that's just a disagreement over what qualifies for these categories.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The character existed before this year it doesn't matter when the game was released because the character had been involved in something else.

But by that same token I don't know why The Wolf Among Us characters were omitted because the game wasn't in a complete state. Because that doesn't affect the fact they are new characters.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

"Jeff hates The Stanley Parable because of that one time for that one award."

"Let me ignore every other instance where Jeff said how awesome The Stanley Parable is."

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have pointed out, it doesn't seem like Jeff actually hates the Stanley Parable, and rather was following a specific interpretation of what "new" character means.

But even if he *did* hate the game and shot down nominations because of that, why would that even be a problem? That's what these deliberations are about: everyone gets together and argues about what they want to win each category, often using weird reasoning to try to trick the others and/or gain allies to their side. The entire process is, by its nature and intentionally so, extremely subjective and biased -- which shouldn't automatically be considered a bad thing. After all, we're here because we want to know what the GB crew liked / didn't like this year.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Even if Jeff did hate the Stanley Parable, and I just listened to him fight for that game for the past half an hour on the latest podcast - then who cares? Each time they mention Gone Home and everyone kinda lowers their voice and murmurs in awe "oh wow yah amazing story" I completely roll my eyes. Each time they mention Bioshock Infinite in terms of story and Patrick does that exasperation noise he loves to make I get irritated. But hey, thats because they're not me, and thats fine.

It's interesting to listen to others talk about games you've played and see them in a completely different light - but it's important to not get too hung up about it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

But by that same token I don't know why The Wolf Among Us characters were omitted because the game wasn't in a complete state. Because that doesn't affect the fact they are new characters.

It's a bit tricky when trying to fit episodic games that straddle multiple years into a GotY discussion. For the sake of consistency GB just decided to treat each season as a single entity, that only comes up for consideration after all episodes have been released. Now, if they automatically disqualify The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead 2 characters from 2014's Best New whatever discussions as well, citing that the seasons starting in 2013 as the reason, we might have a problem.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

Perfect.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm listening to the deliberations for best moment, and I feel like Stanley Parable would have easily taken it if they remembered the REAL best ending. Or maybe none of them even came across it. I was rolling on the god damn floor during this part, and Jeff mentioning the game with the baby makes me think that he must have come across this. Unless he actually pushed that button for four hours.

Loading Video...

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

They gave it runner up for best moment. That's not negative bias, that's positive bias. Return to Rapture was upstaged by a moment I don't even remember.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff loves that game, wtf lol. Relax buddy.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notdavid said:

I'm listening to the deliberations for best moment, and I feel like Stanley Parable would have easily taken it if they remembered the REAL best ending. Or maybe none of them even came across it. I was rolling on the god damn floor during this part, and Jeff mentioning the game with the baby makes me think that he must have come across this. Unless he actually pushed that button for four hours.

Loading Video...

You only actually do it for 15 minutes I think. But that's what makes this brilliant. I think most people hear '4 hours' and go 'oh well guess that baby burns' then they get fake minecraft and fake portal. It takes a mind like Jeff to be like 'Ima fuckin push this button'. I did like they bothered making whole tilesets just for that joke but that they actually go "no really press this button for 4 hours" is insane and great. I never woulda known myself unless I heard Patrick and Jeff talk about it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think Jeff figured out a way not to have argue about one game less and then pulled the rule out of his ass. I honestly think so. The stickler rules for just this one thing (no counting a prototype shown around, but a mod no? Weird).

But who cares really.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
    indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon was not even mentioned during Best Music...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.