Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Stanley Parable

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 17, 2013

The Stanley Parable is an abstract, psychological, dark and humorous meta-narrative that attempts to make its choices void, journey paradoxical and generate discussion about storytelling in video games.

I have never had a demo sell me on a game like that before

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

I sat at my desk kind of dumbfounded for about thirty seconds and exclaimed "Wow!" to my empty bedroom. I then messaged a friend and told her that she needed to play it immediately and then I went to Steam and bought the full game.

I thought that demos were dead, but that was the best twenty minutes I have spent with a video game in a long time. Incredible.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@tajasaurus: Had you played the original mod? I'm going to play the demo tonight and hopefully do the same as you.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I found it interesting, but at the same time nothing happened really. Also a lot of it felt a little pretentious to me.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@ninessc2: I just thought it was an extremely clever way of delivering a demo when, in a world full of open betas and early access games, demos aren't really a thing people play at all. It was funny, too, though I can totally see how someone might see it as pretentious.

@chavtheworld: Nope! I barely knew anything about it, to be honest.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@tajasaurus: I just played the demo. What an amazing demo. Damn I'm excited for the full thing.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I hope there's more to the game though. The demo was good, but there's no gameplay to it except press foward to see the next joke (Unless I missed something, which might be the case). It did sold me on the game, but I'm still cautiously optimistic.

I really like indie games and the fact that they're trying to do something new. But as good as your writing is, I feel that if there's no meaningful interactivity, you're basically doing a virtual museum piece.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Ya I don't think I get all the talk had me hyped on the bombcast and such. Now I'm just confused and turned off.

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
    nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I like how self-aware the demo was. I think it really works for the type of game that they made.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@ninessc2 said:

I found it interesting, but at the same time nothing happened really. Also a lot of it felt a little pretentious to me.

I can totally imagine the narrator saying this during the actual game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.