Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Talos Principle

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Dec 11, 2014

A first-person puzzle game with a focus on philosophical quandaries.

Is it worth $13,59???

Avatar image for madmadhascrashd
    MadMadHasCrashd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

It's on sale for that price, is it worth it?? I really liked Portal and Portal 2 and I like puzzle games in general

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you like puzzle games, it was worth it for $40 or whatever the original price was.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No sorry, its only worth $13,58. I would wait for a better sale.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

this game is fantastic. Worth full price so any sale is a steal

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#5  Edited By Savage

Totally worth it. I'd say it's easily good enough to justify its full price of $40. I bought the game for $20 during the summer sale, as I'm not much of a puzzle guy despite loving the Portal games, and after finishing the game I felt bad for getting such a solid game for so cheap, so I bought the soundtrack and the Gehenna DLC.

As far as puzzle games go, Talos Principle is broadly similar to Portal. Both have first-person spatial logic puzzles, careful attention to detail and environmental storytelling, strong atmosphere and sense of place, and (if you use the Serious Sam DLC) a fun sense of humor.

Talos also has more lore, tons of secrets to find, and some seriously devious optional challenge puzzles. On top of all that, it manages to explore some thought-provoking philosophical ideas in a way that's approachable and genuine without becoming pretentious or preachy. Oh, and the soundtrack is fantastic, too.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savage said:

Oh, and the soundtrack is fantastic, too.

Oh god I forgot that when I first launched this game when it came out, i sat at the first zone for probably 30 minutes just listening to the music.

The soundtrack is freakin beautiful

kubqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This has become one of the best games ive ever played on my list and i dont even particularly like puzzle games. Well worth the money in my oppinion. If i would pick one thing thats stands out, its the puzzle design. Its genius.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kubqo: Same here. I already knew it was fantastic while playing, but when I finished it (haven't gotten all the stars yet, just so you know) and looked back on the experience I knew that this is one of the handful of games that I would never ever forget.

My only criticism would be that there are a bit to many "easy" puzzles which only slightly tweak an already familiar mechanic. I would guess that I am above average at puzzle games (though not by much) and there were only 5 or 6 puzzles that stumped me for more than half an hour (one in the "medieval" world was a particular bitch). I hear that the DLC is much tougher so I have high hopes.

The moments of enlightenment in this game are never as striking as in Portal (doesn't matter which one, the first one you played), but somehow, the music, the backstory, the athmorsphere and the overall respectable difficulty level add up to an experience that I rate higher than Portal 1 - almost approaching Portal 2.

Also, by some miracle I actually payed 14€ for the game pre-launch. It was either some Steam glitch or a cumulative effect of pre-ordering and owning all three other games created by the team, that were considered for a discount. In the end I felt a bit uneasy about how much cheaper it had been for me and payed full price for the DLC.

Anything below 30$ for this game is a steal.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

It's worth a lot more than that.

Also, I would say The Talos Principle is better than the original Portal.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just buy it! I've never even heard of anyone regretting it.

Snacko00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got it for $20. Took me about 20 hours to complete, and I was enthralled all the way through. The expansion is also awesome. I'd say go for it.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's worth more than that. One of the best games I've played recently. My favorite of its type since Portal 2. I'd say my first run was over 20 hours, but I completed all of the side/secret stuff.

The themes of AI, sentience, and existentialism in the narrative are handled in interesting ways. If you like those subjects, you'll dig it. The puzzles themselves are fun to complete, I thought. Most maintain an good level of challenge, and a few can be pretty tough.

Go for it.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sinusoidal

Thanks for this thread. I just went and bought it. I didn't have a PC capable of playing it when it was Quick Looked and was saddened. Now I can play it, and for dirt cheap!

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a demo on Steam. Try it. I decided not to buy the game after playing part of the demo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.