Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Thing

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 19, 2002

The semi-sequel to the 1982 sci-fi horror film.

One of the most underrated licensed games ever?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

I don't know about you, but I absolutely loved this game.  Maybe it was because I enjoyed the movie soooooo much.  Maybe it's because I thought that the deep teamwork system really made this barren environment seem a bit more populated.  Maybe it's the fact that the set pieces were so spot-on with the events from the flick.  Maybe it's just the fact that there was a great shooting game with great sleuthing to be done.

Anyone else feel the same way?  Is this SERIOUSLY one of those ridiculously understated games based on a licensed property that people ALWAYS pass up?
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By zitosilva

I don't think so. I loved the movie, still do, but the game was pretty bad. It was generic, and it had some serious glitches and bugs.

And since it had to do with the subject, I'll just throw The Spoony One's review of the game, which I really like:

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

This game was boring, uninspired, and lack logic in ever scenario. I really didn't like it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jakob187
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

It wasnt a bad game at all.  Not sure how underrated it is (don't know where it really stands on people's lists though).

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By ChickenPants

Watch Spoonyone's review if you want to see my views on said game.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I've had the video review from the Spoony Experiment bookmarked for a long time now.  I still watch it from time to time just because it is so funny.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Player1
    @zitosilva: haha pretty good review. Funny guy. Game looks like shit. He seems to be a AVGN knock off though. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakob187

Riiiight.  So he bitched about blood-test hypos just laying around.  Meanwhile, Cole can handcuff people with lightning, orbs float around everywhere in New York City to be picked up at will, and enemies who notice you have exclamations points that pop up above their heads.  -_-

...and that's the point where I pretty much stopped giving a shit what he had to say.  However, one more thing I'd like to point out:  he bitched about the graphics of the game.  Anyone remember what the biggest seller of 2002 was?  Eh?

Vice City.

Yeah, that game had AMAZING graphics.  -_-  Seriously...this guy bitches about far too much rather than taking what is given to him and actually using it to his ADVANTAGE!  It sounds like he just wanted to try and be funny.  Then again, all of you seem to agree with him...but given that you all agree with his review, it makes me wonder if it's the only time any of you have seen the game.  =  /
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By buzz_clik

My boss and I had been a big fan of this film for years, and had discussed how you could make it into a game. We thought it'd make an interesting multiplayer first-person affair, kinda like Aliens vs Predator. So we were pretty stoked when we heard a game was being made, albeit in third-person.

It finally came out, we both rented it and thought it was just okay. It's got some good ideas, and sometimes the atmosphere from the film really comes to the fore. But other times it can be totally jankeriffic, with people who definitely weren't the Thing suddenly sprouting new limbs and gurgling at you.

Plus, if I remember rightly, it's supposed to be a direct sequel to the movie and I'm totally opposed to that idea. The film ended on the perfect paranoid note, and have the story go beyond that is to give an unwanted answer the ambiguity.

It should be noted, however, that I still picked up a copy of the game from a bargain bin. As I said, it's okay, and if you're a fan of the movie it's definitely worth investigating. But I think there's still a better game to be made out of the license.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187
    @buzz_clik said:
    "Plus, if I remember rightly, it's supposed to be a direct sequel to the movie and I'm totally opposed to that idea. The film ended on the perfect paranoid note, and have the story go beyond that is to give an unwanted answer the ambiguity."
    I CAN EASILY AGREE WITH THAT.  THE MOVIE WAS SO WELL MADE THAT IT'S DIFFICULT TO CONSIDER IT BEING CONTINUED IN ANY WAY.  ALSO, THE ENDING OF THE GAME DOES MAKE YOU KIND OF FACEPALM A LITTLE.  NONETHELESS, THE GAME WAS A FUN EXPERIENCE FOR ME.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By CL60
    @zitosilva said:
    " I don't think so. I loved the movie, still do, but the game was pretty bad. It was generic, and it had some serious glitches and bugs.

And since it had to do with the subject, I'll just throw The Spoony One's review of the game, which I really like:

"
    lmao
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By jonnyboy

Do you like 'The Thing'? Do you like 'Alien'?

If the answer to both of these is yes then play Dead Space. This game rests on the line drawn between 'honoured homage' and 'callous plagiarism'. Great game either way though.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
    @jonnyboy said:
    " Do you like 'The Thing'? Do you like 'Alien'? If the answer to both of these is yes then play Dead Space. This game rests on the line drawn between 'honoured homage' and 'callous plagiarism'. Great game either way though. "
    I DO LIKE THE THING!

AND I DO LIKE ALIEN!

HAVE YOU BEEN SNEAKING INTO MY HOUSE LATE NIGHTS AND PEEKING AT MY MOVIE COLLECTION?  IF SO, HOW DID YOU GET PAST MY DOGS?  YOU USED BURRITOS, DIDN'T YOU?  THEY'RE SUCKERS FOR BURRITOS.

ANYWAYS...I ALSO HAPPEN TO LIKE DEAD SPACE A LOT!  STOP GETTING IN MY FUCKING HEAD!
    Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ChickenPants
    @Player1: AVGN is terrible compared to Spoony.Mainly, for me, because he's playing the character of AVGN and he's nothing like that off camera.This makes his stuff feel too fake.Spoony doesn't pretend to be anyone else and has been doing movie reviews for years now.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    @jakob187 said:
    " Riiiight.  So he bitched about blood-test hypos just laying around.  Meanwhile, Cole can handcuff people with lightning, orbs float around everywhere in New York City to be picked up at will, and enemies who notice you have exclamations points that pop up above their heads.  -_-

...and that's the point where I pretty much stopped giving a shit what he had to say.  However, one more thing I'd like to point out:  he bitched about the graphics of the game.  Anyone remember what the biggest seller of 2002 was?  Eh?

Vice City.

Yeah, that game had AMAZING graphics.  -_-  Seriously...this guy bitches about far too much rather than taking what is given to him and actually using it to his ADVANTAGE!  It sounds like he just wanted to try and be funny.  Then again, all of you seem to agree with him...but given that you all agree with his review, it makes me wonder if it's the only time any of you have seen the game.  =  /
    "
    Oh, I didn't say I agree with him.  I just think it's funny.  You're right though, that is what he is trying to do.  It is much in the same vein as Yahtzee's "reviews."

...And damn this thread for making me want to watch that movie yet again.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By RHCPfan24

Oh, I played this game a little bit and enjoyed it. It was a surprisingly good movie game that had some neat homages to the John Carpenter film.

Also, The Thing is one of my favorite movies so yeah, this may be biased.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I always wanted to play it. It received a lot of really good reviews, but I'll admit it... I was afraid...

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zitosilva
    @jakob187: Okay, I do agree that Spoony exagerates some aspects of it for the sake of being funny. Im my opinion, it works.

But still, even without those exagerations, I never really liked the game. Maybe because I had some high expectations for it. I read some previews and, since I loved the movie, I kept imagining how awesome the whole "suspicion of the other guy being infected" would work.
    The movie could potentialy become a good game, I just don't think that it did with this one. Very little to do with the movie, some annoying glitches and generic action just didn't cut it for me.

So, again, I don't think it was underrated. It was an okay/mediocre game. For me, it got the attention it deserved.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Black_Rose

It was ok, nothing special.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Optiow

I liked it, but it could have been better. I did like it when the people started getting scared, that was the best bit about the game.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @jakob187: Just started watchin the movie and brought back memories of the game.  I enjoyed it quite a bit!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.