Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series - A New Frontier

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Dec 20, 2016

The third season of Telltale's adaptation of The Walking Dead follows a new main protagonist, Javi, as he gets involved with a community of survivors known as The New Frontier.

All episodes are out. Who played it, and who will play it?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

Season Two got more attention than this and that didn't even seem like it got a lot of attention. As someone that played both the first and second season back-to-back in 2014 on Steam, I really enjoyed them both a lot and equally. Late last year I got both on PS4 (especially since they were on sale then) to go through before the third season's episodes were all out, but I am only near the end of Season Two on PS4 since I kind of lost interest to go through it, so I played it on and off, in between other games that came out since and just never ended up finishing it. I will at some point, but I myself am finding it hard to be motivated to buy Season Three despite loving the first two seasons. Is anyone interested in this? Who's played it and now that they're all out, how was it all, without spoilers of course? I can guess the reasoning behind it not being that popular, but still, it seems awkward considering how lauded the first season was and this being a continuation of that story to some extent, I'd expect at least a little more discussion and interest.

Edit - Since I brought this topic up, I wondered how the soundtrack is so I am listening to it on YouTube. I am happy they retained Clementine's theme.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't speak for why other people aren't playing it, but in my case it's just that it all got too old and predictable. I don't care about any new characters they introduce because they're just going to make them secretly evil or murder them for shock/drama. I've got nothing against drama, but it always ends up being "drama where almost nobody has to deal with the consequences because they're all dead or about to die" in this series.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I won't play another telltale game until they update/switch game engines. Their games are ugly and clunky. It hasn't been okay since the Wolf Among Us.

Avatar image for deactivated-987696
    deactivated-987696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah I have to agree, this one is just trying too hard. I played through the first 2 episodes no problem, but then it started getting on my nerves how annoyingly cliche Telltale it all was. Animation is still like wooden dolls, voice acting sub par, writing bad. In the end I dragged myself through the whole season just to get it over with. Will not be playing a season 4. Telltale needs to change it up, and I don't mean in terms of finding new franchises to hook up with, I mean in terms of gameplay, writing, and animation.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

Yeah, I suspect the reason behind the lack of excitement is because of Telltale's engine as well as the fact that Telltale puts out an excessive amount of games. They need to take a break as well as get a better game engine.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mrcraggle

I was actually going to write a topic about this a few weeks ago when I realised that Season 3 was actually out. It completely went by without any fanfare at all. Is it just that people are burnt out on TellTale games? I know I am. I'm just tired of that same formula. I've enjoyed many of their games in the past such as the point and click stuff like Monkey Island and Sam and Max to their newer style with WD Season 1 and Wolf Among Us but they've made very little change to that formula since.

The modern TellTale formula:

Watch scene

Choice A, B, C, D

Doesn't actually matter which you pick because they all lead to the same path.

And that's ultimately what's frustrating about the modern TellTale game, at least for me. You picking a route. Path A, B, C or D will all lead to E. There's also the lack of satisfying gameplay. QTEs galore and that's pretty much it. At least with the older point and click titles, you at least had to think, now you're purely reactionary to what's happening on screen.

Then there's also the technical issues these games have. From save game bugs from episode to episode to just appalling performance and it's not like these games are pushing open worlds with high resolution textures, sophisticated shadows and high polygon counts.

Loading Video...

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Panfoot

I played it as it came out...it's fine. Better than season 2, but it still has story problems (not the mention the general telltale technical problems that they don't fix). The new protagonist is a likeable character with a good backstory...but then Clementine keeps popping up and it becomes an issue of the game losing focus. The Javi still is generally pretty good and his story has a decent resolution by the end of the game, but Clementine's story is just spinning it's wheels until season 4 (which there absolutely will be, the game very much makes that clear).

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nicksmi56

Well I was never going to get Walking Dead anyway since zombie stories for the most part are boring and same-y.

But the reason I don't buy Telltale games for licenses I'm interested in like Batman and Guardians is because there's really not much there.

Look at a cutscene, walk around a bit, do quicktime events, and make choices that don't actually matter. That's the formula for Telltale games. The problem with that is that there's nothing compelling me to actually go out and spend money on them. Gameplay is negligible at best, especially since they apparently took out fail states in Batman. Why? Are they THAT afraid of me actually getting invested in what's going on? And sure, there's choices, but they don't actually go anywhere. I may feel bad for a character or 2 if I mess up their lives, but it'll probably blow over by next episode anyway.

Knowing all that, I get all the Telltale I need from watching a walkthrough on YouTube. It's just as exciting as the game itself and I'm not wasting cash.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I got three episodes in to Game of Thrones (which was alright) and then completely lost interest in Telltale games. Too much jank for what they are and the novelty wore off. I finished Tales of the Borderlands (can't remember if that was before or after GoT). I'm done for a while unless they do another Fables game

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the whole thing, played the first episode (Maybe even the second episode too?) and I COMPLETELY forgot this game existed!

Huh. Maybe i'll go back and give it another shot. I remember not really caring about anything that was happening in its' story. There was one unexpected character death that got me, so I didn't think it was All bad.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ATastySlurpee

I played S1 & S2. Loved 1, liked 2. I like Telltale games a lot, but I've learned my lesson. Just wait til they are all out and pick them up at 50% off. That's what I'm doing with GotG.

Also, as a sidenote, I'm sorta fatigued out on TWD. The comics got very meh and the tv show(s) are all sorts of boring.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Milkman

@rongalaxy: they did switch engines. this series was the first on the new engine. Not to say that the new engine is perfect by any means, I had two hard locks during the final episode.

I played through the series as it came out and it was okay, I guess. I thought it got off to a really great start with the first two episodes but then fell into some predictable Telltale story beats from there and while I don't think any of it was outright bad, it wasn't exactly enthralled by anything that was happening. It was also frustrating that one of the major plot threads for the season was left completely unresolved in the end and instead used to set up season four.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished it. I swore I was done with this series, but I cannot let the story of Clementine go. They definitely have me for season 4 too, based on the ending.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I play all the Telltale games, eventually. They're not even that bad. I'm about to finish Walking Dead Season 3 game. Easy achievements, and I'm about to start on the Guardians of the Galaxy one soon. They're doing a Minecraft Season 2 game in July, yea, Spoilers.

Okay, I just finished Season 3. I loved the ending, fuck it. Execution could be a little better, sure. I just don't care that hard. They're cheap, and they're exactly what I want. And I would love it if their executions would be a little better, yea.

I want to see where Clementine's story goes, and I'm not totally butthurt about the fact that these still exist. Different strokes, for different folks. I would too see like a LotR, or Spider-Man Telltale thing would be. X-Men, Halo, Fable, Uncharted, The Last of Us, etc. It's kinda whatever, really. A new IP for by Telltale, with like slight RPG elements would be cool, too.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'll play the season when it drops to the $15 price range. I still mostly enjoy Telltale games for what they are but I certainly hope they figure out a new system to update the formula.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman started out strong, but ended up poorly. I will eventually play this game because I'm a sucker for these games once I get started, I just wish telltale would get better with roleplay/meaningful choices. If my idea of a Bruce Wayne is a pacifist weakling mask, then I want to be able to play him exactly that way, while not having the game force me to suddenly play out of character. It's just an example, but these games are starting to feel rushed and old.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BRich

I played and enjoyed this one. It's not season 1 but it's certainly better than most of their stuff recently.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Petiew

I played episodes 1-4 and couldn't be bothered downloading the last episode. Pretty bad overall. The game gave me an option to confess to something in an early episode, and then forgot all about this leading to big drama and conflict a number of episodes later. Dropped it there and won't be buying another telltale game.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll play it when it's cheap as chips. Doubt it will compare to Tales From the Borderlands, however.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wondering about this again. I still haven't played it, and wondering what those that played it thought. Have any more people here played it? I still find it unfortunate how lacking the enthusiasm is. I'll probably still play it at some point, but I haven't to find the motivation to want to finish Season Two on the PS4, which I haven't found the want to do yet. I feel I have to see how Clementine's story ends... Aw, shoot, I should download Season Two and buy the third season.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: I played season 2 shortly after all the episodes came out and can say, that while parts of it aren't as great as the first season, there are several moments that hit the same highs that made it worth playing through. I don't want to give anything that could remotely indicate what or when the events are, but one in particular has stuck with me to this day in such a way that I think about it from time to time all these years later. I'm still interested in playing Season 3, although I don't know when and for only finding out what happens to Clementine and the characters that made it through season 2. I don't have the same issue with the visual quality of the engine that some have. Season 2 wasn't a massive improvement over Season 1, but Season 3 looks markedly better from a visual quality standpoint. Even so, the narrative beats and moment to moment decision making are what make this kind of game shine the most.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I play all of the Telltale stuff basically, I just love the style and they usually deliver a good narrative (although there's obviously been a dip in quality recently as they pump out more and more stuff). New Frontier wasn't among their best work, and I preferred Minecraft Story Mode (season 1) and Tales from the Borderlands to it. But if you like Clem, she has some good moments in New Frontier and the new characters were mostly enjoyable also. It doesn't reach the highs of TWD season one, but they also managed to surprise me with some twists and turns.

I'd also recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the TWD comics, since it's leagues better than the TV show at this point. I'm actually pretty excited for the final season they recently announced, hope it can wrap things up in a satisfying way.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

I binged through it yesterday. There are some really hokey parts, but I really enjoyed myself anyway... I get why people have cooled on Telltale and TWD, but I feel like I could do this for one more season

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NTM

Okay, I went ahead and got it. I have to finish Season Two on PS4 though before I can start A New Frontier. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I am not expecting it to be bad, I'm just hoping it makes me more excited than I am right now. Right now, I'm more or less just feeling like I should play it because I loved the first two Seasons and want to see where Clementine's story is going, rather than entirely being stoked for this. I also don't necessarily feel I have anything else new to play, that I want to play that is. Alright, Season 2 is about done installing.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NTM

Maybe no one cares, but I just wanted to say a little bit about what I thought of the third season. I just finished it. It felt kind of short in comparison to the first two even though they had the same amount of episodes. The quickest way to sum it up is to say that I'd give the first two seasons a five-star, and the latest a four. I really liked it, and for the most part, it was really well made, where it does the typical Telltale, The Walking Dead thing in making characters worth caring about. I liked how they intertwined Clementine into it all (although it was somewhat hard to see her grow up and turn into more of a hardened character [though her naivety, as well as purity, still shines at times]), but as a whole, I can't say I was affected by it all like the previous two when I originally played those, in immediate hindsight.

At this point, I feel I have to go all the way though, so I am definitely getting the next one coming out, but I'm not in that 'I can't wait for what's next!' mode as much as I was when I finished two even though I really want to see where it ends. The worst parts of this was a few glitches, which was just weird, where NPC's that weren't supposed to be there for one reason or another were just standing or walking around in the background during cutscenes, and one where it simply locked up and booted me back to the PS4 dashboard. Also, I don't know how different the choices make things, but they didn't really feel that significant, which is kind of like the previous ones I guess, but it just felt like I was going through the motions with this one. The biggest thing is just that the shock of things isn't as shocking (I mean, you know what to expect) because it's been done before, but it's still good if you're into taking the journey.

I really liked it and I'm glad I played it, but I know I'm already not looking back on it as fondly as I did the other two simply because it's one of those 'been there, done that' kind of things. That's really the state of that world though (which I can't fault), but also the state in which Telltale makes their games. Perhaps, it's also because the ending of this one felt so definite, there didn't feel like there was much to branch off of, and so there's not a lot to think about other than wondering what's next.

Edit - Oh, and it's all about the story and if you enjoy The Walking Dead world design too because the 'walking' around gameplay feels lacking in terms of exploring and interacting with the world. It's mostly choosing what you want to see, or press buttons when a prompt comes up to kill something. It felt like there was more of that than in the previous two seasons, but I could be wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-987696
    deactivated-987696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished it. Predictable. Stale. Unlikable characters. Do not recommend.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NTM

@reputatsioon: I kind of agree with predictable, just in the sense as I've mentioned. Stale? Kind of, but I don't really mind it. I liked the characters. I recommend it to those that want to finish Clementine's story, or if you want to get more of that world. I still found it well-made for the most part.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.