Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Franchise »

Based on the graphic novel created by Robert Kirkman, The Walking Dead chronicles the lives of various individuals who strive to survive after a zombie apocalypse.

Are you still watching AMC's The Walking Dead?

• 118 results
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

sweep  Moderator

Poll Are you still watching AMC's The Walking Dead? (677 votes)

Yep, every week. 15%
    Nope, they lost me at some point. 68%
    I never watched, just show me the numbers. 17%

Season 7 has received widespread criticism for being painfully slow and repetitive, and the viewing numbers are at the lowest they've been since Season 3. As a longtime fan of the comics and games, I've kept watching over the years, but as season 7 continues to drag on I'm starting to think this might be the end of my interest.

It's tough to walk away from something in which I've invested so much time (100 episodes, each 45 minutes long!) but after being bored out of my mind through season 7 I think it's time to cut my losses.

What say you, Giant Bomb?

• 
    glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nope. I stopped after season 3/4 or mid-way it (I think). My life was bit of a blur in general at that point, so I can't remember it too well. Never watched the spin-off.

I read the comic books before already up to a certain hardcover compilation, so I sorta got further than I did with the tv-series, even though I know the story differs in some ways. But I eventually just got tired of the same "Things go well, but they actually don't" routine, which is even more depressing with the comics and gave up. Plenty of other good, even great, series to follow these days anyway, so doesn't hurt to drop one off.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped at the end of Season 2, just never bothered to pick it up again. Not surprised it's being criticized for being slow and repetitive, because that's all it was even when I stopped watching it years ago.

I lost interest in the franchise as a whole, because at some point I just saw an introduction of a new character as another person to kill off and make you sad, nothing more. It's not that the drama or stories weren't creative or interesting, I just couldn't force myself to care anymore, and once you lose interest in the characters that franchise has nothing left.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I was one of the bunch who jumped off midway season 2. I never saw more than snippets since then, but a bunch of characters I didn't recognize seemed cartoonish to me and I never tuned in again. Season 1 of that show is fucking awesome and I should watch it again at some point.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Painfully slow and repetitive was how I would describe the show since the second or third season. Sounds like they haven't fixed this problem since I stopped watching around season 5(?). Can't even remember at what point I stopped because the seasons just blurred into each other.

I think the show came along at the right time and there wasn't much else on TV in terms of zombie drama with high production value. But there were so few characters from the core group that were worth caring about and the show continually gave you little reason to care about the fate of any of them.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By shorap

I saw this coming a while ago (after being spoiled by a fan of the graphic novel) but I lost interest after Glenn died. Since season 1, he was the moral compass, most relatable character, and also one of the few, regular outlets of levity in a series known for being a downer.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@shorap: spoiler tags please, it's still pretty recent!

dynamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm still watching, but I've been checking my phone more and more during episodes. The show has been going downhill for a while, but at this point I almost feel obligated to see it through. Can't see it lasting more than two more seasons. Still, as uninspired as it's been recently, it doesn't hold a candle to Fear the Walking Dead, which is truly awful.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I dropped off after season 3. I used to watch it when a new season came to Netflix, but it took so long for S4 to come out (still don't know if it's on there) I just kinda lost interest. Now I'm so far behind I can't imagine catching up now.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stopped after season 3.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also stopped after Season Three. So many idiotic decisions by idiotic characters so after the Season Three finale I called it quits.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sinusoidal

This was one of those shows I was always interested in, but never got around to watching. I kept telling myself I'd wait until it was finished, then pick it up and binge. Here we are 7 years later and I've almost completely lost interest and still haven't seen a single episode. I wish people would make more TV shows with beginnings, middles and - here's the key point - ends, and stick to a schedule instead of this garbage where they milk it for everything its worth then take it off the air when it's not making money anymore.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped caring about this show a few years ago. I loved it at first but it just got old

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Season 2 killed all interest for me. I heard season 3 was better, but I just didn't care by that point.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I stopped after season one, then read the first four volumes, and realized that I absolutely dislike Robert Kirmans writing. I felt like the book and show were just mean, and then realized that there was no reason to like any of the characters, because the whole story is just a wait to see who dies next.

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By madladunit

I think the show is better than ever, I barely ever watch ANY TV shows these days because they are pretty much always repetitive....they have to stretch these series out over 10-20 episodes so you inevitably end up with filler.

At least within that repetition The Walking Dead has interesting characters, across gender and ethnicity, and it has the imagination to keep you on the edge of your seat a great deal of the time. Like in Game of Thrones, over the years the actions of the "heroes" have become questionable, and many of the "villains" are sympathetic. The writers, directors and cast certainly don't phone it in.

Even when the show has slower episodes, I still enjoy it. I thought the low point was the governor stuff that bled into season 4....once they dealt with that situation I think the show has been consistently great.

Also, for me Negan goes a long way to renewing the show's appeal. He's fantastic.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lost interest after episode 1 of the second season.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Trilogy

Yes, and it's fucking awful.

Seriously, don't waste your time. I question myself every week as to why I still watch it. Maybe I get some sick satisfaction out of it? All I know is that every week, that show consistently finds new ways to upset me. I could rant for hours about every issue I have with it. I've devoted WAY too much time thinking about the ways in which it's bad, and if I took the time to type it all out here, I would just be giving the show even more time that it doesn't deserve.

HermanBloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am still watching but feel way less invested than say season 2-3. Found the start to this season pretty good but have just got episodes stacked up since the mid-season break. Will binge watch half-heartedly whilst playing Zelda I think.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I want to say I dropped off around season 4 and read what left I had of the season on wikipedia.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped after S4 I think, maybe 5. It became pretty stale after Shane was killed. I read TWD comic before the show and got back into again once the show started and it also became stale and boring and I didn't make it past maybe 108-109?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stopped after season 3. Maybe I watched an episode or two of season 4 but that's about it. It was already incredibly dull at that point and it sounds like it's only managed to get worse as time has gone on.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stopped during season 3 or 4 I believe. At some point each season only had 3 decent episodes (first, mid season break and last), and even those started to become quite predictable.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trilogy: Ah, the old hate watching, i'm kind of with you. Did you ever like it? I thought the first season had potential but then it kind devolved into a soap with zombies.

I still watch it with friends, and we enjoy making fun of it. (we're reaching that point with Homeland as well, sadly)

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They kinda never matched the first half of the first episode. It's still alright though. Mainly watching it to see how it will differ from the comics.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@boozak: I loved the first season, didn't like the second (like a lot of people), and then I felt like it really picked up in season 3. After that it becomes a blur as to how I felt about it. I was probably a Walking Dead apologist at some point, but season after season of the writers spinning their wheels in the mud really eroded whatever appreciation I had left for the show. Specifically, I was tired of the loop of "we found a new home, I think we may even have a real life here! Things can be good again! ...Oh weird, tragedy strikes again." You know what my favorite time of the show was? When they thought Eugene had a plan to save the world. It gave the plot purpose. A light at the end of the tunnel. A sense that this thing can actually come to a conclusion. So much for that.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BrunoTheThird

Season seven? wow. I had no idea it was still a thing.

I think writers of American shows should do what Agatha Christie did with Poirot, where she wrote the last book way in advance of when it actually ended. Because of how long they can drag on for -- 8 seasons of Dexter . . . Jesus -- they seem to always run the risk of ending really poorly and becoming a bittersweet memory. I can't name many long-running american shows that ended on a real high. Sopranos nailed it.

A lot of shows over here in the UK have a tendency to kill themselves off well before the ideas run out (Life on Mars, The Office, etc), and I always prefer that. We have a soap called Eastenders that has literally been on since 1985 and still going, though, so whatever. Another called Coronation Street has been on since the fifties or something...

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped watching right after they found the prison. I don't even know what season that was.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

I stopped after season 5 I think which was probably 2 or 3 seasons too many.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 49th

I'm still watching since the beginning, but season seven is the first time I've seriously considered dropping it. Not because it's too slow, which is annoying but that's part of the show, but because the producers decided to add some stupid shit that never appeared in the comics and is incredibly lame. The garbage guardians are one of the most stupid things I have ever seen in a TV show. Not to mention all the stuff they scrambled up and pivotal comic characters which have completely different roles in the show.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I haven't seen this latest season, but I used to hate-watch this show. It's so fucking dumb, but I just couldn't stop.

If I had to sum up my problem with this show, it's that it only "works" if you don't think about it. I don't mean just the walker thing either - though can we all agree that their ability to survive anything other than a headshot is some of the worst contrived shit in any piece of fiction? especially because they try to explain it with science - I mean character conflicts and the situations they find themselves in. It all revolves around someone doing or saying something stupid and out of character just so something happens.

On top of that, I think every major (and most minor for that matter) antagonist the show has had have all generally been terrible. That's largely due to the above, but also because none of them feel like real people to me. Instead, they all feel like caricatures. Even when they try to make you sympathize with them like the Governor or Terminus, it completely fails because so much of what they've been doing is comically evil.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunothethird: The US have their own versions of soap operas - lots of countries do. Their big one is probably Days of our Lives which has been on the go since 1965 and it's close to having nearly as many episodes as both Coronation Street and Eastenders combined. It's about 1000 odd episodes off.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's sooooooo tired...

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped watching right after they found the prison. I don't even know what season that was.

that's exactly where i fell off.

Avatar image for the_dude_abides
    The_Dude_Abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Show never lived up to the great pilot episode for me but i gave it a few seasons, wasn't all bad.

Rick should have been killed off ages ago.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: Oh, of course, but it's interesting that the soap opera and sitcom ethic (so to speak) in the US crossed over into other kinds of shows so easily. The idea of things enduring for years and years is so foreign to me, as my top ten UK shows of all time went through four seasons max, usually two on average.

I know of Days of our Lives, Dallas, Bonanza, etc. I love Little House on the Prairie, for instance, but the concept of watching people age and change and endure as characters for a large chunk of your life was barely a thing when I was a kid outside of soaps and crime dramas. I think they spoke about it on the bombcast once, about every show going on for so long and it being kind of tiring.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

It lost me sometime in season 2/3. It felt like the story was just the same over and over again, and would continue to be so, new names and places, but the same stuff happening again and again.

Carville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was kind of hate watching it up until the cliffhanger with Negan, after that i just said nope and i'm so glad I did. There are just so many better shows to be watching. Into the Badlands anyone?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Was lost pretty early on. Season three or season four, maybe. But I'd check in occasionally for the season finales/premieres. Now I don't really have any interest in those, either.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to stop watching for a long time, and then catch up in a huge chunk. This season I have only watched the two first episodes. Then I decided to wait on the rest. It just doesn't play well as a week to week experience, at least to me. I would rather save up a ton of episodes and plow through them quickly.

The show never really lost me. It just has become a show that I don't need to see as it comes out. I honestly kind of almost gave up with season 4, but I kept trucking along. The thing is, they have episodes that are awesome and rekindle my desire to watch, and then they seem to coast by with long periods of little action and plot progression at a standstill. I still think my favorite episode is No Sanctuary (the season 5 premiere) and it's episodes like that that make me stick around. That and wanting to see how they interpret stuff from the comic, which I read before the show came out and still follow.

But I'm pretty much a whole season behind now. :/

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
    CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still watching, though, I honestly couldn't tell you why. Well, this season, I'm watching because I really like Jeffrey Dean Morgan - a man who deserves much better roles than he seems to get - but I can't imagine I'll keep watching once they kill off Negan.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't watched it since season 4.

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I will literally be the only one on this thread (so far) to say that I love the show! I admit that I can only see it airing for another season, and I for one (maybe the only one??) will be sad to bid it farewell.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Season 2 kilied it for me. I never understood the mass adoption/acceptance for this show. "IS GOT ZOMBIES. SO IT GOOD SHOW."

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatbendorf:

Nope, I love it too! Still watching every week.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By OurSin_360

I stopped after 2 episodes of the first season, didnt seem very good to me.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dropped off the comics at issue 100, so when that happened in the show, I jumped too. I'll probably go back and pick up the show once the recent seasons are on Netflix, but I don't want to pay for a season only to get three episodes of actual plot.

@carville said:

Into the Badlands anyone?

Speaking of hate watching. Into the Badlands is so bad its good. It has an Asian lead so, I have to watch it, but maaan he's like 90's video game cutscene bad. The fighting is like this weird wushu video game hodgepodge that has clear cuts and editing jumps that I should absolutely hate, but I enjoy the crap out of every fight scene. I'm only 4 episodes in, so maybe the plot gets better, but as long as there's a fight every episode, I'll stick around.

Carville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

as long as there's a fight every episode

There is. The fight scenes remind me of Ip man a lot. I think they needed more than 6 episodes in the first series to set it up it just feels like they are rushing through story-lines.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lost interest after the Governor was killed

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I stopped after the first season. It was well made, and I felt like it should've been right up my alley, but some of those character arcs were not the best.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.