Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

Bought game but it will not start.

Jixashauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jixashauser

Hello!

So I bought the complete 5-episode back through Gamestops digital download service, installed the game through Steam, but it just won't start. Apparantly this is an issue that more people have been experiencing (the steam forums are full of posts about it but no solutions as of yet). Anyone else experience this or know what to do? I really want to play this.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JoeyRavn

The same is happening to me under Windows 8 Pro x64. As soon as I start the game, TheWalkingDead101.exe crashes. The only solution I've found is to use the dinput8.dll that is linked in the official forums. The game starts, but the gamepad barely works.

I could play with mouse and keyboard, but I don't fucking want to.

Klopek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Klopek

@JoeyRavn:

Yep. Be careful since I'm pretty certain it also destroys your save game. Thankfully I had a backup but I'm sure lots of new game-pad using, recent Windows 8 adopters went to play episode 5 only to have a nasty surprise.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah you have to unplug the controller to get the game to start under Windows 8, but then the controller just doesn't work when you plug it in. So I'm gonna try installing the .dll

I'm just glad I haven't started playing yet, don't want those saved to get messed up.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By colourful_hippie

I tried reinstalling, running compatibility trouble shooter, verifying file integrity, and nothing happened. It turned out that having my 360 controller plugged in was keeping the game from launching so I was forced to play the game with keyboard and mouse. Oh and trying to launch it again with the controller has the same issue of not launching but your saves get erased when I launched it again with the controller off. I'm on Win 8 Pro 64 bit.

@MikkaQ: Let me know if you get the game working again with the controller and watch out for trying to launch it with it on because it only ended up erasing my saves.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.