Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

Crossing my fingers for a Bombcast Spoilercast

Avatar image for captainanderson
    captainanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By captainanderson

I know everyone in the Bomb crew except Jeff has probably finished Episode 5 by now, and I'm really curious to know what choices they made. Every mention of the game on the Bombcast has been super vague in order to avoid spoilers, but I'd love to hear Ryan, Patrick, Brad, and Vinny actually talk openly about the game.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By mracoon

That'll probably happen in the GotY Bombcast.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3  Edited By GS_Dan

I'd like this too. Spoilercasts are my favourite parts of the GOTY discussions.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Master_Funk

That would be great. Though I am afraid Jeff may go into his ' Red Dead Hate' mode for the walking dead since he hates zombies.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5  Edited By Hizang

I would like this to happen, kickstarter!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

Yeah, by now it'll be a GOTY discussion rather than a spoilercast. I just hope they talk long and hard and don't hold back, because I want to hear specifics from the crew for the first time this year since that game's release cycle has spanned most of the year.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By golguin

@Master_Funk said:

That would be great. Though I am afraid Jeff may go into his ' Red Dead Hate' mode for the walking dead since he hates zombies.

I wager the chances of that happening are around 93.7%. I thought Red Dead was one of the best games I played this generation and since I never played any GTA like games it was truly a unique experience. I even liked the Mexico section despite a good deal of people claiming that it was somehow a weak part of the game. I don't know why people thought that part was a drag, but maybe I liked it because I'm Mexican and could relate more?

Actually, has Jeff ever liked anything zombie related? Left 4 Dead was an amazing series and Jeff hated it, but I figured it had to do more with the teamwork and class knowledge the game required. I've heard him mention how he hates being told that "He's playing the game/class wrong" and its a main driving force for his dislike of Team Fortress 2.

Resident Evil 4 was also pretty amazing, but his main complaint with that was that the aiming never clicked with him.

He hates zombie mode in the Black Ops games for reasons unknown to me.

Any other zombie games?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Zeik

I really hope Jeff actually gives it a chance before that happens. Until I played the Walking Dead I largely agreed about zombies. Maybe not as intensely, but I literally didn't give a shit about anything zombie related.

But I had a complete change of heart after playing The Walking Dead. Largely because it wasn't really about the zombies, but it actually ignited a bit of interest in zombies in general. That ZombiU game actually caught my interest, where there's no way I would have given it a second glance before TWD.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Brad

I just finished the last episode a few minutes ago and I'm confident the game will get its due discussion by the end of the year. Dang.

nitz234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nitz234

@Brad: I frigging cried, dude.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vrikk

I'd love to hear their opinions on it. I'm sure all of them will love it. As soon as Ryan got really quiet whenever the episodes come up I said to myself, "Yup, they are saving it for the end of year discussions."

Except for Jeff. I don't know about that dude. Too cynical and "this game sucks!" to the point that I can't predict.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer

@golguin said:

@Master_Funk said:

I wager the chances of that happening are around 93.7%. I thought Red Dead was one of the best games I played this generation and since I never played any GTA like games it was truly a unique experience. I even liked the Mexico section despite a good deal of people claiming that it was somehow a weak part of the game. I don't know why people thought that part was a drag, but maybe I liked it because I'm Mexican and could relate more?

Actually, has Jeff ever liked anything zombie related? Left 4 Dead was an amazing series and Jeff hated it, but I figured it had to do more with the teamwork and class knowledge the game required. I've heard him mention how he hates being told that "He's playing the game/class wrong" and its a main driving force for his dislike of Team Fortress 2.

Resident Evil 4 was also pretty amazing, but his main complaint with that was that the aiming never clicked with him.

Any other zombie games?

I think Walking Dead is my GOTY but I also loathed Red Dead so there's not necessarily a correlation.

I would like a spoilercast too though.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By NoobSauceG7

That would be awesome for it to get it's own podcast. Easily one of my favorite games this year.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Xeirus

@Brad said:

I just finished the last episode a few minutes ago and I'm confident the game will get its due discussion by the end of the year. Dang.

"Dang" is right sir, possibly even a "damn"

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShaggE

I think Jeff will be more fair about this one. He'll probably tear the "game" part of it to hell and back (and rightfully so in parts, I say as a huge fan), but I'm sure he'll give the story its dues.

Whatever negativity comes from Jeff, though, it'll be nullified by Patrick's enthusiasm. This game is his bread and butter, after all.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By hockeymask27

Oh man Oh man yes please.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

By all that is luchadeer yes!

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cthomer5000

@ShaggE said:

I think Jeff will be more fair about this one. He'll probably tear the "game" part of it to hell and back (and rightfully so in parts, I say as a huge fan), but I'm sure he'll give the story its dues.

Whatever negativity comes from Jeff, though, it'll be nullified by Patrick's enthusiasm. This game is his bread and butter, after all.

I think gameplay criticism is very fair, and ultimately what will stop this from seriously contend for their #1 overall. My genuine wonder is whether Jeff will buy into the overall story/writing or come down in opposition of it.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShaggE

@cthomer5000: Agreed. As amazing as TWD is, it's not much in the way of a game. I wouldn't nominate it for GOTY myself, simply because of that. It certainly deserves more specific awards, though.

Avatar image for captainanderson
    captainanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By captainanderson

@cthomer5000 said:

@ShaggE said:

I think gameplay criticism is very fair, and ultimately what will stop this from seriously contend for their #1 overall. My genuine wonder is whether Jeff will buy into the overall story/writing or come down in opposition of it.

Maybe, but there's not a whole lot of other candidates. XCOM is the only one that immediately comes to mind, every other game either only a couple people played or was generally considered a disappointment. I doubt Jeff would like TWD even if there were no zombies, judging by his opinions on Catherine and other games with the "illusion of choice".

@Xeirus said:

@Brad said:

"Dang" is right sir, possibly even a "damn"

For me it was more of a "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK GODDAMN YOU TELLTALE."

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Phatmac
    @golguin

@Master_Funk said:

Any other zombie games?

He liked dead rising.
    Hulkamaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hulkamaniac

I just hope TaleTale makes their next season just as good. Been trying to read up on it. I read that Gary Whitta didn't really pan out that Clem would be such a pivotal character originally. Makes me think where it could have gone. Here's some reading material if you're interested. - http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-walking-deads-gary-whitta-talks-gender-bias-clementines-role-and-hints-

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By alexpiercey

The end of the year bombcasts always make me kind of hate everyone. And I don't see a difference for this year with Jeff probably being a jerk and saying that X-com is better. So yeah, I would like a spoilercast with the guys before then.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pyrodactyl

when was the last spoilercast exactly? I can only remember 3 traditionnal giant spoilercast in existance, MGS4, Spore and GTA4(?). Those were a WHILE ago. Other ones were more in the form of an interview which is way less interesting...

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Sgtpierceface said:

The end of the year bombcasts always make me kind of hate everyone. And I don't see a difference for this year with Jeff probably being a jerk and saying that X-com is better. So yeah, I would like a spoilercast with the guys before then.

To be fair, Jeff would be right unless the top category is renamed to best emotionnal and stricking interactive story of the year.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By alexpiercey
    @pyrodactyl

@Sgtpierceface said:

To be fair, Jeff would be right unless the top category is renamed to best emotionnal and stricking interactive story of the year.

Even though I haven't played X-com, The Walking Dead is (probably) my game of the year, an I played a lot of games. I think the arguement that it's 'not enough of a game' is completely bullshit. If I can press a button and make something happen, it's a game. Especially in TWD's case since there's so many choices you can make.
    But then again, that's just my opinion.
    pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Sgtpierceface said:

@pyrodactyl

@Sgtpierceface said:

Even though I haven't played X-com, The Walking Dead is (probably) my game of the year, an I played a lot of games. I think the arguement that it's 'not enough of a game' is completely bullshit. If I can press a button and make something happen, it's a game. Especially in TWD's case since there's so many choices you can make. But then again, that's just my opinion.

The argument isn't that it's not enough of a game. It's that the part where it's a game are really not that great and for a game of the year category I would assume that kind of argument is kind of a deal breaker, disqualifying it from the top spot.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By alexpiercey
    @pyrodactyl

@Sgtpierceface said:

@pyrodactyl

@Sgtpierceface said:

Even though I haven't played X-com, The Walking Dead is (probably) my game of the year, an I played a lot of games. I think the arguement that it's 'not enough of a game' is completely bullshit. If I can press a button and make something happen, it's a game. Especially in TWD's case since there's so many choices you can make. But then again, that's just my opinion.

The argument isn't that it's not enough of a game. It's that the part where it's a game are really not that great and for a game of the year category I would assume that kind of argument is kind of a deal breaker, disqualifying it from the top spot.

I guess I would say that there are no parts of the game that aren't a game to me. The entire thing is a game to me. It doesn't matter if it's a cutscene, I'm still playing the game. I wouldn't seperate any parts of it the game into different categories. It's one whole experience.
    P.S. Also, I remember the guys complaining about the start of episode 2, finding it really hard. I guess I lucked out because I didn't have any problems with it. I never really had any problems like that at any point.
    darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By darkstorn

I'm hoping for some plot discussion on the Bombcast too. I bet during the GOTY deliberations they'll go in depth.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By hermes

@pyrodactyl said:

when was the last spoilercast exactly? I can only remember 3 traditionnal giant spoilercast in existance, MGS4, Spore and GTA4(?). Those were a WHILE ago. Other ones were more in the form of an interview which is way less interesting...

I remember one with Modern Warfare 2 and, while not a spoilercast, an episode dedicated to Mass Effect 3 when it came out.

And I agree with the wish. I would like them to have a conversation about the game without being worry about revelations. I haven't played episode 5 yet, so I wouldn't listen to it until after a while, but I think its a great idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.