Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

[SPOILERS!] episode 2: who saw it coming?

• 51 results
    Undead_Fiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Undead_Fiend

I'm don't want to sound like I'm bragging or anything but I totally saw the whole cannibal thing coming a mile off and here is my reasoning:

I knew the guys at the camp were very suspicious and I was on alert looking out for something, I first suspected them as cannibals when you first walk around the farm and I spoke to the mother at the house and asked her about where all the workers went and she gave a strange answer of... oh well they went about there own ways, and if it's a dairy farm where are they getting the meat? they can't just be living on milk. Also the whole episode centred around food "starved for help" and it seemed it was building up to the meal as the climax I just knew that mark would not be rejoining us when he got hit by the arrow and taken inside, and immediately thought that later when asked where he is we'd be given the cliche horror movie answer of "oh he's resting..." or something. Also it'd be a hilarious irony that they acting worse than the undead, as 'living zombies' eating the flesh of other people consciously, reaffirming that hell is other people.

OK I'll stop my rambling now, I still very much enjoyed the episode and I'm wondering if they gave these hints to make people think they're very clever for working it out before the whole looked room in the barn, did anyone else expect cannibals or just something sinister? and when did you become suspicious?

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BulletproofMonk

It got spoiled for me on Twitter. Still, the way it was revealed was really awesome, so I didn't mind.

DefAde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DefAde

@Undead_Fiend said:

I'm don't want to sound like I'm bragging or anything but I totally saw the whole cannibal thing coming a mile off....

Go genius...... I would be disappointed if there is anyone who DIDN'T see the 'twist' coming a mile off....

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Twist is plenty obvious, really just a question of how it was going to appear.

Undead_Fiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Undead_Fiend

I get the twist seems really obvious to people who did see it coming (I'm desperately trying to avoid sounding like an arrogant know-it-all because I'm really not! and I think it may even be greater if it was obvious to everyone and did make people think they were geniuses for figuring it out), but with all the other stats in the game it's unfortunately impossible to produce a statistic based on this in-game and I'm genuinely intrigued if it really is obvious to everyone else and would have been/was it for anyone more impressive to get the surprising "oh shit" moment as you discover him upstairs?

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By hockeymask27

I was thinking it. However it was still fucked up to actually confirm my fears.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It was pretty obvious when they started waiting for the food, but it was still very well done so it didn't bother me.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Draugen

It did give off the same vibe as a certain little town in the Capital Wasteland, so I had my suspicions. It was still well done though.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By Danteveli

The "twist" was pretty clear since almost bening and all that talk about only 1 cow made it certain.

DefAde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DefAde

I do feel people are looking at this wrong... i don't believe TellTale made any attempt to hide this so called twist from the player.... that's not what the episode is about - TellTale WANTED you to be suspicious up front (as you would in a dog eat dog post apocalypse society)...... at some point long before the reveal it becomes clear that the task at hand becomes about finding, first what is going on, then finding the evidence to back up your suspicions.... the real drama comes NOT from the reveal, but from whether you can present that evidence to the group before it is too late.

Ottosmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ottosmann

Haha after reading around and whatnot and seeing everyone say that they saw the twist coming, I feel like an idiot, because I didn't realize it until the game straight up told me. I think this was a good thing though because it made the episode and atmosphere that much more intense and suspenseful, and the twist was therefore much more impactful.

I'm not sure whether it was because I was tired or not really paying attention, because when I opened that locked room in the barn, I was like no fucking way! Even then it didn't totally hit me until I found Mark. Like I said, I feel like a dumbass now, but in all honesty I didn't see it coming. But it seems like I'm in the minority in that regard.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I saw the cannibal thing coming, but the way they revealed it still shocked me so I wasn't disappointed at all. I'm not sure if they were even trying to hide it all that much. I think they were trying to do what happened to me--make you feel like you know they're cannibals and that you've figured out every "shocking" twist/thing in this episode, but then turn around and throw some real fucked up shit in your face to shock you. Really enjoyed this episode, and even more-so than Ep. 1 (which I also loved.)

I knew something was messed up as soon as we met the dudes and were headed to the farm; the dudes just gave me weirdo vibes. I became suspicious of cannibalism or at least random murder when I asked to go in the barn but the dude was like "Naw son, wait until you check the fences." in a suspicious manner. I knew it was cannibalism when there was a locked door in the barn and they wouldn't let me see Mark.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By project343

I was obviously aware that all sorts of terrible things were going on in the farm, but had no idea it was cannibalism. Even after I saw the butchery room, I was like: ya, okay, you cut up meat here... justified. Then I slowly began to realize that there was only one cow, so what were they cutting up?

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By stonyman65

I figured it out within a few minutes of getting on the farm. It was just too obvious. What else would it be?

Still an awesome episode. Can't wait for more.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By zaccheus

Well it was probably pretty damn obvious to everyone that something was wrong because something good was seemingly happening and that's not allowed in a zombi apocalypse. Cannibalism thing was also heavily implied with all the talk about food and so on.

I wasn't sure about it, I really hoped they would just play up the paranoia aspect of it. Maybe the woods people would attack you and the farm people save your life and you feel bad about suspecting them or something like that. Would have made a more interesting and less cliche story for me. Still enjoyed it though, it's all about the characters.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By guiseppe

I thought everyone saw it coming. At least it was my first thought when I arrived at the farm.

F33L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By F33L

I agree twist is pretty obvious but we like it

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jozzy
    @project343

I was obviously aware that all sorts of terrible things were going on in the farm, but had no idea it was cannibalism. Even after I saw the butchery room, I was like: ya, okay, you cut up meat here... justified. Then I slowly began to realize that there was only one cow, so what were they cutting up?

Yeah, I knew something bad was happening but cannibalism never crossed my mind for some reason.
    ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShadyPingu

Absolutely. At the first hint that something was up at the dairy, I knew it was cannibalism. It's the go-to trope for post-apocalyptic fiction when you want to establish the living as the real monsters.

Still, so well done.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By IBurningStar

This is one of those rare occasions where seeing it coming isn't a bad thing. Suspecting them of cannibalism made everything unnerving and made me worry about if I could reveal it to the group in time. I started to dread the moment when my fears were confirmed and it created a lot of tension. Them being dodgy about letting me see Mark also made me worry that he was dead. I knew he was fucked, I just didn't know how bad. Which sucked, because based on the little bit of time I spent with him I liked his character.  The whole reveal and the events leading up to it were perfectly executed in such a way that it didn't matter if you saw it coming or not, because it was a fucking nightmare scenario from beginning to end.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Definitely saw the twist coming. I was suspicious of the family right from the beginning and the thought of cannibalism was always in the back of my mind, but what confirmed it was when one of the brothers says something like "dinner's going to be good" in this eery way, which made me think "oh, they're definitely cannibals". I didn't realize that I had to be panicked about the food my group was eating because it was once a part of Mark, though; I thought it was poisoned or something more dangerous than that.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dizzyhippos

I saw it coming quite early but it was still very enjoyable

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dallas_Raines

The moment I heard faux-Paula Deen talk, I knew what was going down. Still played out amazingly, though.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By Castiel

I never really trusted them, it just seemed too convenient. Also the fact that they avoided questions or became suspicious if you asked anything about the barn or the rooms in the house, was a pretty revealing reaction too.

So no it wasn't the most surprising twist, but the way they pulled it of was pretty good.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#25  Edited By DJJoeJoe

I kept thinking they might be doing the same thing as the tv show, with the hesitation to let your character enter the barn etc... thought they were holding their 'workers' in there or something.

Zenogiasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Zenogiasu

Yeah, I think they dropped one or two hints too many, so I was 99.9% sure what the twist was pretty early on. But the reveal still gave me chills.

Rexman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rexman64

See, I started getting Gary Whitta mindgames. I was suspicious early on that they were going to be cannibals, but the fact that the exact same thing happens in the Book of Eli made me think "Nah, the same thing wouldn't happen here..." And then it happened.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Rexman64: I don't think Gary Whitta wrote episode 2, though.

Rexman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rexman64

@FluxWaveZ: Not directly, but he is the story supervisor over the entire series.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Rexman64: Ah, didn't realize that; thought he was only going to be responsible for a single episode. Nice to know.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zeushbien

@Zaccheus said:

Well it was probably pretty damn obvious to everyone that something was wrong because something good was seemingly happening and that's not allowed in a zombi apocalypse. Cannibalism thing was also heavily implied with all the talk about food and so on.

I wasn't sure about it, I really hoped they would just play up the paranoia aspect of it. Maybe the woods people would attack you and the farm people save your life and you feel bad about suspecting them or something like that. Would have made a more interesting and less cliche story for me. Still enjoyed it though, it's all about the characters.

I agree, I was kind of hoping that it would all turn out to be a misunderstanding but that your character already fucked it up and everybody got kicked out.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By sixpin

Of course most people saw it coming. We are talking about The Walking Dead here. Every person left is damaged and insane. The more organized and reliable they seem, the more likely they are working toward your death. You can always expect the worst thing possible to happen. I think the more important aspect of episode 2's plot is how well the whole thing was handled. The "shocking" reveal of what happened to your friend. The dinner party drama. For the most part, it was pretty great.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#33  Edited By beargirl1

i had it in the back of my mind but i was still surprised when it happened, probably because it was so well done. i knew there was something about those people.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CL60

I knew something was up when that bandit wanted to tell me something but got shot in the head before she could say anything, and that guy was acting weird about his gun. But I was pretty positive about the cannibalism thing when I seen the butcher room and they wouldn't let me see mark.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zuldim

I suspected it out shortly after I got back to the dairy farm from the lady's camp. Danny talking about how dinner was "gonna be a good one" and the mother not letting me in to see Mark pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jace

I got it when you go out to the camp and run into the lady. She says something to Danny along the lines of, "I KNOW what you in store for me."

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37  Edited By granderojo

I figured something was up as soon as they brought out bread for the people to eat and I soon found 'dirty bloody clothes' in the wheelbarrow, nobody is ever going to be that friendly in the post apocalypse.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By retrovirus

I saw the cannibal aspect coming a mile away. The fact that I couldn't visit Mark, or the fact that they seemed completely fine and wholly unaffected by the zombies. Coincidentally, the brothers actions mirrored those of the people of Andale in Fallout 3: the overt cheeriness and creepy gun love set off my trigger. Also, I chuckled at the "It's people!" line.

I agree with you. The fact that they ratchet up the tension by turning down your questions more and more gave me the feeling that I knew this would come to a head, and I was dreading that moment.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sayishere

Yup I saw it a mile off, but that being said, man it was great!

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By MistaSparkle

After facing Andale in Fallout 3, I saw it coming a mile away. Not insanely original stuff there in the plot department, but the choices you have to make make up for all of that. This game is insanely good.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By xymox

I called it within first meeting with them, even joking about it. Don't know why, but one of the brothers just looked like someone who would eat people.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Binman88

I didn't see the cannibalism thing until close to the reveal (and the discovery behind the barn door) but everything from the moment you meet them is telling you something is up.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#43  Edited By natetodamax

I didn't trust the brothers the second I met them, but I didn't suspect them of cannibalism (mostly because I had forgotten that it was a "dairy" farm, which meant their possession of meat didn't raise any flags for me). For the majority of the episode I thought that they were planning on raiding the motel and taking our stuff since they kept asking about our numbers and the weapons we had. I successfully dodged all of the those questions. Looking back, it totally makes sense why they were asking.

unavailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By unavailable

I knew SOMETHING horrible was going to happen, and I was betting it on cannibalism. Still was delivered really, really well.

It was roughly at the point where I was getting back with the other brother from when we went looking for the bandits that attacked that I started to think, "Jesus these people are CREEPY AS HELL." Especially the brother that went with you looking for bandits. He actually kinda reminded me of the Innsmouth villagers from the Call of Cthulhu: DCoTE game, with his posture and face and everything.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#45  Edited By Dagbiker

I knew something had to be wrong, and I figured that they had to be cannibals or something. I just figured cannibalism was too cleshe.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By htr10

They were cannibals? Wow, that whole episode makes so much more sense now. When I found Mark, I was all like, 'nice job letting your legs fall off, you stupid klutz' and when Lee stops Clementine from eating the meat I was all like 'how does he know that she's a vegetarian?'. But now, now the pieces all click. Wow.

k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By k9

I did not make the connection to cannibalism until I saw what was behind the barn door. But since the beginning I felt that the brothers were bad news. After meeting up with the crazy lady I came to conclusion that this is the episode featuring Clementine rape train, courtesy of the two brothers. When the crazy lady said that the brothers were monsters what is more monstrous than raping a kid, I thought. The swing repairing scene only deepened my Clementine rape suspicions because why do three adults need a child swing outside when they don't have kids of their own? Obviously that swing was child rape bait. The way one of the brothers was looking at Clementine and Duck's butt during the barn scene basically solidified my suspensions and I kept hoping for a dialogue option to pop up to warn Duck and Clementine about their inevitable rape. I was even expecting some good ol' rape humor where I would tell Duck how it's not cool for an adult to put his pee pee in your poo poo area and Duck would inform me that it's totally cool and his dad does that to him all the time.

And then Telltale revealed that my group was all eating human meat. How dull.

Quite frankly I am surprised that Telltale hasn't gone in rape direction yet. One of the first things that happens after every apocalyptic event is dehumanization and emergence of sex slaves market.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FilipHolm

I could tell right away those people weren't trustworthy... Didn't expect cannibalism though to be honest...

The episode was plenty disgusting... But I really liked the emotional affect it had on me. It's a love/hate situation

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NickL

Ever since watching Book of Eli I always assume any "too perfect" people in the middle of nowhere are cannibals

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, saw it coming. Pretty obvious if you have played other apocalyptic games or watched the movies.

There was Andale in Fallout 3, and in both The Road and The Book of Eli are cannibalism scenarios.

The Dairy was Andale all over again...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.