Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

A question about how the saves carry over

Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
    CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If I played The Witcher on steam, and then was to play the GOG copy of Witcher 2 would I have any trouble importing my save from the first?

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

No, but little carries over. Maybe some dialogue, but I got the sword i beat Witcher 1 with.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

You may have to move files around into different directories if they don't default to the same save location, but I believe you should be fine otherwise.

So I imported my save and it didn't seem super significant. I came into the game with some items that I wouldn't have otherwise had, but that seemed like about it. Anyone know if anything more significant carries over? I'd try to look it up myself, but I'm not in the position to at the moment.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Should be fine. Only minor stuff carries over, but there is one larger element towards the end that changes based on your choices in the first game.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Some choices will be different if you don't carry the save over. For example, at the beginning of the game, King Foltest mentions that Adda is dead, even though you can save her in the first game. (Just a choice in the first game). So yeah, I'd definitely get those saves to transfer if you want everything to feel more cohesive.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If you can find your save files from The Witcher 1 then it'll be fine. They should be in Users\<yourname>\Documents\The Witcher\Saves. Apparently quick save never copies over itself in that game, because I have 687 saves. 12Gb of Witcher 1 saves :/

Don't expect a Mass Effect style carry over or anything like that though - Witcher 2 is practically a fresh start.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.