Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Any word on how The Witcher 2 plays with a controller?

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

I know I am asking for it asking about this, but ever since I saw the game demoed at E3 using a 360 controller I thought that the game would work perfectly with it. The timing based combat and everything. Frankly I wish the first game had controller support, click, click click...dead. Would be nice to sit on the couch and play this one on my HDTV since I am assuming I'll be in it for a while. I hope this doesn't start a console port thread like the threads I found seaching google about this, you can do better.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SlasherMan

It's been known to have controller support for quite a while now.
    It's installing now for me, so I don't know for sure how well it works, but I see no reason it shouldn't work well. I'll get back once I've played it a bit.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vitor

Other than the menus which look like they might be a bit fiddly with controller use, all of the in game, realtime combat and ability use seems perfect suited to a controller with a really sharp radial menu system for spells and abilities. I have a feeling the minute to minute swordplay will likely feel better on a pad also as it's so timing based. 

Installing now, will let you know once I've given it a go!
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrOldboy
    @SlasherMan: yeah, installing as well. I guess I'll just try it out myself too once I play it tomorrow.

edit: haven't gotten to any combat, just trying to get the best framerate before I start getting into it. But it seems like they spent some time on the controls, straight up 360 controller button prompts and everything.
    zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zungerman090

@Vitor: Damn, beat me to it. 

I just found the inventory management to be really clunky. Wish we could use both. Keyboard and mouse for inventory and controller for the action.
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Franstone
    @zungerman090: Exactly
    Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Blommer4
    @zungerman090 said:
    @Vitor: Damn, beat me to it. 
    I just found the inventory management to be really clunky. Wish we could use both. Keyboard and mouse for inventory and controller for the action.
    Spot on, bro
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

All i can say is while watching one of the pre-release videos, i saw an 'A' prompt on the screen and was like "OH NO THEY DIDN'T"

then i saw a W and D prompt, and i sighed in comfort. ;p

@SlasherMan said:
    How can a PC fantasy RPG possibly work with a controller? it needs a ton of buttons for everything. and a mouse cursor for.. everything!
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Meowshi

Well that was quick.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    All i can say is while watching one of the pre-release videos, i saw an 'A' prompt on the screen and was like "OH NO THEY DIDN'T"

@SlasherMan said:
    How can a PC fantasy RPG possibly work with a controller? it needs a ton of buttons for everything. and a mouse cursor for.. everything!
    The game's very different from the first one.
    While accessing menus and such is a bit of a more hassle-ridden experience with a controller (since you have to access the start menu everytime to get to the inventory/map/character sheet/etc), everything else works fine.

I've played it with both M/KB and gamepad, and aside from the issue I just mentioned, it seems to be adequate. Oh, and Force Feedback seems to be missing (used a wireless 360 controller), but not a huge deal either.
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrOldboy

I dont think there is anything you cant access with the gamepad. Inventory, character, all available via start. Once you find the buttons for cycling through the inventory and such its pretty quick. I started using the KB/M and am now 100% controller. The game is fairly close to a character action game. light attack, heavy, dodge and block, magic. I was having a hard time remembering to block and dodge with the keyboard. But with the controller RT block and X to attack, just feels right. Hate to say it, but the game should work perfectly for a console. 

Best part of the controller is no using shift to run/walk. Just move the stick slightly to walk, move it more to run. I dont know why I like that.
    Cslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cslaw

i like the controller, except for one thing i can't seem to figure out. I have no idea how to not take everything when looting a container. I press x and everything gets put in my inventory, on kb/m when i click on a container i get the option to pick which items to drop into my inventory. the menus, as people have said, are also easier to navigate with KB/M.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Seppli
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

@SlasherMan said:
    I always found the controller doing wonders for me when playing RPGs. Often due to the lack of proper hotkeys on PC. In 'low excitement' moments like dialogs, I like to sit back and just play with one hand. PC versions often require some mousework at any given time. Stuff that is streamlined to simple buttonpushes on a gamepad. Same for looting. It's usually just 1-2 straightforward buttonpushes on gamepad, whilst it's often more work on PC with mouse-over action. Point n click is fine, but often, it's just more cumbersome. Yes, it allows for more and easier control, but lacking proper hotkeys (which many PC games are guilty of, especially modern RPGs), there's just no lazy way of doing things.

Actual inventory management is of course much easier and comfortable with a mouse - but who like doing that in the first place?
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By warxsnake

Using the controller might be interesting, I just want analog movement for increased immersion. I'll try it out myself.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Patman99

I've only been playing the game for a little while now and have been using a keyboard/mouse combo but I think it would work very well with a controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I wish I had a 360 controller because I really dislike the feel of the combat with a keyboard and mouse. I'm constantly switching between targets by accident.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrOldboy
    @Cslaw said:
    i like the controller, except for one thing i can't seem to figure out. I have no idea how to not take everything when looting a container. I press x and everything gets put in my inventory, on kb/m when i click on a container i get the option to pick which items to drop into my inventory. the menus, as people have said, are also easier to navigate with KB/M.
    I guess that is true, I wonder if thats the way it is, take everything. 

Also can you bind keys like inventory to the d-pad? I'll see once I get home, I remember a binding menu, but not sure what was on it.
    BloodShotRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BloodShotRobot

I bought the game after Ryan said her preferred the gamepad in the Witcher 2 quick look. I'm not loving the sensitivity on the sticks for movement and camera control. It moves too fast. Any one else having this issue?

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrOldboy
    @BloodShotRobot: it seems a bit sensitive. Does changing the mouse sensitivity in the menu do anything? I also think there are some threads online about inverting the mouse/controller. I wonder if in the .ini file you can change it. I know people changeing some value to make the mouse less floaty, who knows what else you can change.
    Spacemanchuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spacemanchuck

It plays great with a controler.  I've played the whole way through with it so far and it's awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.