Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Dude, really? A short rant about the Witcher II's ending...

Mooqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Mooqi

First of all, the game was a solid 4-star-RPG. An epic tale, which Dragon Age II should have been, with several bad design decisions and a few (very annoying) bugs. The story itself was the strongest part of the game. A journey through epic battles and interesting places. Many enjoyable things to tell about, but... seriously... the last mandatory boss is a major faux pas!

I am always there when people don't come up with something cool.
    A fucking dragon fight. That was the most boring and unoriginal thing they could have done. I hate dragon boss fights... seriously I hate them with passion. They are for an ending of a game what the "slay-six-rats-quest" is for the beginning: you expect it, you have seen it a dozen times before and you are ultimately just bored and completely sick of it. This one in particular was predictable since the ending of Chapter 2 so you could slowly adapt to the fact that (part of) the ending would be really really lame. Other games however are surprising in that respect and therefore even more annoying since you expected a great finale and all you get is a boring trash dragon. Two Worlds II anyone?

As far as the conclusion is concerned, I really liked the Letho part, since it filled many open plot holes. Nevertheless, this game has a story that is so complicated and often amateurishly told, that it comes close to your standard confusing and open-to-interpretation JRPG epic, but with more names... enough randomly thrown in names and even nicknames to mix them up continuously throughout the whole game. Never before in a western RPG did I have to read so many journal text entries about persons, locations and quests just to get a hold of what's going on. And many things remain unclear even after finally questioning Letho and reading everything the journal has to offer. Granted, it is charming not to be told everything at the end of a game, because that makes a potential sequel less predictable. On the other hand I am not sure if the plot holes are the result of a solid script or plain narrative errors. Often it seems like the latter.

Needless to say that a sequel should by all means not include any kind of dragon fights, because... yeah, they suck. And you know what else sucks? Geralt leaving his posse and climbing the mountain alone at the end... less drama would have been totally sufficient.
    Mooqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Mooqi

First of all, the game was a solid 4-star-RPG. An epic tale, which Dragon Age II should have been, with several bad design decisions and a few (very annoying) bugs. The story itself was the strongest part of the game. A journey through epic battles and interesting places. Many enjoyable things to tell about, but... seriously... the last mandatory boss is a major faux pas!

A fucking dragon fight. That was the most boring and unoriginal thing they could have done. I hate dragon boss fights... seriously I hate them with passion. They are for an ending of a game what the "slay-six-rats-quest" is for the beginning: you expect it, you have seen it a dozen times before and you are ultimately just bored and completely sick of it. This one in particular was predictable since the ending of Chapter 2 so you could slowly adapt to the fact that (part of) the ending would be really really lame. Other games however are surprising in that respect and therefore even more annoying since you expected a great finale and all you get is a boring trash dragon. Two Worlds II anyone?

As far as the conclusion is concerned, I really liked the Letho part, since it filled many open plot holes. Nevertheless, this game has a story that is so complicated and often amateurishly told, that it comes close to your standard confusing and open-to-interpretation JRPG epic, but with more names... enough randomly thrown in names and even nicknames to mix them up continuously throughout the whole game. Never before in a western RPG did I have to read so many journal text entries about persons, locations and quests just to get a hold of what's going on. And many things remain unclear even after finally questioning Letho and reading everything the journal has to offer. Granted, it is charming not to be told everything at the end of a game, because that makes a potential sequel less predictable. On the other hand I am not sure if the plot holes are the result of a solid script or plain narrative errors. Often it seems like the latter.

Needless to say that a sequel should by all means not include any kind of dragon fights, because... yeah, they suck. And you know what else sucks? Geralt leaving his posse and climbing the mountain alone at the end... less drama would have been totally sufficient.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By thehexeditor

Two questions

1) So, The Witcher 3 is definitely happening?

2) Do you want another game?

Mooqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mooqi

1.) I don't know anything about the developer's plans. But stroywise, without a sequel this franchise would be incomplete.
    2.) Yes, but not earlier than 3 years from now.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Scotto

I was disappointed with the third chapter of the game - it was far too short, and Loc Muinne was far too constricted of an area to base an entire chapter around.  In fact, the lack of a real, major city throughout the entire game was a big disappointment to me - Flotsam is the closest you get, and it's a shithole.  Henselt's camp was nothing but mud and rocks, and Loc Muinne was nothing but ruins.  Another change I'd like to see for Witcher 3, is the ability to actually travel back and forth to locations as you please, like DA1.  I don't like being forced to "finish my business" in town, before moving the story forward.

The story was definitely the strong point for the game, though I'm officially tired of mandatory sequel-ready cliffhangers in video games, where none of the real conflicts get resolved.  The graphics also made a strong impression on me.

Fighting the dragon wasn't a big deal for me, but the lack of any real closure to the story left me sour.  The dragon wasn't a major foe throughout the game, so having him as the final battle was kind of silly.  At the end of my playthrough Sile, Henselt, the dragon, and Letho were all still alive (because I was trying to play a "good" character) - and while it's really cool to have an RPG where you can essentially not kill any of the major villains, I was still expecting to achieve some measure of closure at some point.

Still though - a way better game than Dragon Age 2, despite the bugs and glitches, and whatever gripes I have.  I look forward to the next one.

- Scott
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vitor
    @Scotto: I felt I had enough Closure. All the questions raised at the start of the game were answered , even if we didn't see the consequences of the latter actions.

Geralt's revenge/redemption thread was completed and, while I too wish the final third had been lengthened considerably (and also lamented the lack of a major city to explore), I don't feel short changed. Especially considering how necessary it is to reply the game considering how much things can change in each playthrough. 
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gike987
    @Scotto said:

I was disappointed with the third chapter of the game - it was far too short, and Loc Muinne was far too constricted of an area to base an entire chapter around.  In fact, the lack of a real, major city throughout the entire game was a big disappointment to me - Flotsam is the closest you get, and it's a shithole.  Henselt's camp was nothing but mud and rocks, and Loc Muinne was nothing but ruins.  Another change I'd like to see for Witcher 3, is the ability to actually travel back and forth to locations as you please, like DA1.  I don't like being forced to "finish my business" in town, before moving the story forward.
    The story was definitely the strong point for the game, though I'm officially tired of mandatory sequel-ready cliffhangers in video games, where none of the real conflicts get resolved.  The graphics also made a strong impression on me.

Fighting the dragon wasn't a big deal for me, but the lack of any real closure to the story left me sour.  The dragon wasn't a major foe throughout the game, so having him as the final battle was kind of silly.  At the end of my playthrough Sile, Henselt, the dragon, and Letho were all still alive (because I was trying to play a "good" character) - and while it's really cool to have an RPG where you can essentially not kill any of the major villains, I was still expecting to achieve some measure of closure at some point.

Still though - a way better game than Dragon Age 2, despite the bugs and glitches, and whatever gripes I have.  I look forward to the next one.

- Scott

If you follow Iorveth path, I at least, think  the dragon was a pretty major thing. And trying to play a "good" character is really not what you should do in this game, all the choices are built around being morally ambiguous, there are no good or bad path in this game.
    Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scotto
    @gike987 said:

@Scotto said:

- Scott

If you follow Iorveth path, I at least, think  the dragon was a pretty major thing. And trying to play a "good" character is really not what you should do in this game, all the choices are built around being morally ambiguous, there are no good or bad path in this game.
    The Witcher has always been a morally ambiguous character, but the game absolutely implies certain morality in the choices you can make.  If you choose not to kill Henselt, Geralt lectures Roche about not stooping to the King's level and being a murderer like him.  If you choose not to finish off the dragon, Geralt tells Triss that the dragon may very well be the last in existence, and he wouldn't want to kill such a strong, proud creature.  So yes - moral righteousness isn't Geralt's thing, but morality is present in these choices.

Also, Saskia being the dragon just makes the dragon fight as a final boss even more silly, though it could provide for an interesting twist in the next game if you chose to spare it's life after the fight.

- Scott
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gike987
    @Scotto said:
    @gike987 said:

@Scotto said:

- Scott

The Witcher has always been a morally ambiguous character, but the game absolutely implies certain morality in the choices you can make.  If you choose not to kill Henselt, Geralt lectures Roche about not stooping to the King's level and being a murderer like him.  If you choose not to finish off the dragon, Geralt tells Triss that the dragon may very well be the last in existence, and he wouldn't want to kill such a strong, proud creature.  So yes - moral righteousness isn't Geralt's thing, but morality is present in these choices.

Also, Saskia being the dragon just makes the dragon fight as a final boss even more silly, though it could provide for an interesting twist in the next game if you chose to spare it's life after the fight.

- Scott
    But Phillipa tricked you into making Saskia follow Síle's orders after you spent the whole chapter 2 trying to save her from a poison, so if you have the dagger the fight is pretty justified. If you don't have the dagger it's still a great sad way to end the game.
    Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Scotto
    @Vitor said:

@Scotto: I felt I had enough Closure. All the questions raised at the start of the game were answered , even if we didn't see the consequences of the latter actions.

Geralt's revenge/redemption thread was completed and, while I too wish the final third had been lengthened considerably (and also lamented the lack of a major city to explore), I don't feel short changed. Especially considering how necessary it is to reply the game considering how much things can change in each playthrough. 

I definitely didn't feel short changed by the game (unlike DA2 and it's bullshit ending), but the way the game ends just left me a bit sour.  The world goes to hell, and the people actually responsible (the Nilfgaardians), escape with nary a scratch - essentially making the key people you chased through the game nothing but (literally) optional revenge killings - and somewhat pointless to boot, as they've already more than achieved their goals by the time you get to any of them.

- Scott
    Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scotto
    @gike987 said:
    @Scotto said:
    @gike987 said:

@Scotto said:

- Scott

- Scott
    But Phillipa tricked you into making Saskia follow Síle's orders after you spent the whole chapter 2 trying to save her from a poison, so if you have the dagger the fight is pretty justified. If you don't have the dagger it's still a great sad way to end the game.
    I will have to do another playthrough to see all of this for myself, as I was with Roche for the second chapter - my only dealing with Saskia directly, was meeting her below Vergen to get her sword.

- Scott
    DEllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By DEllen
    @Scotto: Vergen was pretty close to a larger city. Guess you chose to side with Roche so you maybe didn't see all of it. 
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vitor
    @gike987: That was my favourite aspect about this game. So many people claim to do grey morality and straddle the line but this was the first game that I felt actually pulled that off. 
    Tokubetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tokubetsu
    @Vitor: Definitely how I felt as well. There are no real hanging threads by the end, everything has progressed to a point where a new game or expansion would be the next logical step. Hoping for expansions myself since CDP has mentioned it a few times. The RED engine is also great so here's hoping they keep it around for awhile longer as well. 

You spent the entire first game pretty much in the dark up until the end. This is a bit of a continuation of that. By the end of this, you know the truth, everyone's played their cards and you know all the players but it's just all too late. It's sad but definitely on purpose. Geralt didn't want to be caught up in the bullshit but everyone else had their plans. In the end he was just barely better than a pawn on the board anyway. 
    Mooqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mooqi

People seem to have major differences in what they consider the "morally good" decision. I did not have to think twice when I sided with Iorveth and apart from some questionable (possibly lazy written) dialogue options that I was forced to choose due to no "actually good" choice being available, I think my Geralt came as close to a hero as you could get. They do their best to make him say "I don't give a fuck" on almost every occasion, but if you judge Geralt by his actions and not so much by his mere words, siding with Iorveth makes him the defender of the weak and co-founder of a new realm based on freedom, equality and justice.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vitor
    @Mooqi said:
    People seem to have major differences in what they consider the "morally good" decision. I did not have to think twice when I sided with Iorveth and apart from some questionable (possibly lazy written) dialogue options that I was forced to choose due to no "actually good" choice being available, I think my Geralt came as close to a hero as you could get. They do their best to make him say "I don't give a fuck" on almost every occasion, but if you judge Geralt by his actions and not so much by his mere words, siding with Iorveth makes him the defender of the weak and co-founder of a new realm based on freedom, equality and justice.
    I had no idea that choosing who to side with in that fight would have such a tremendous impact on how the story unfolded until I tried reading the guide later to help with a sidequest and had no idea what they were talking about with regard to the main story line.

For my part, I really liked the Roche arc and found him a very interesting character. My Geralt definitely came out as a more traditional romantic hero, at least for Temeria. 

On my second run through now - plan on siding with Ioverth this time to see how different things get (that and I really like his character model - pretty badass!).
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Animasta
    @Mooqi: Iorveth also murdered hundreds of humans, including women and children.
    Mooqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mooqi
    @Laketown: And the humans probably killed a lot of elves. I consider them equally gruesome in that regard. What makes a difference is that humans want to rule over every other race while elves only want to be free and not outcasts. That seems to be a nicer vision of the world.
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

Whatever you think of the ending I think it couldn't be anything else. This is exactly what a witcher would do - finish his business and walk away. Pure and simple. The politics don't really concern him. Remember that everything he did in the story was done to serve the purpose of finding out the truth. It wasn't his fight, he just tagged along to learn what actually happened and to clear his name. Everything else was just the background. It may not be flash or "cool" but it makes perfect sense.

Tokubetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tokubetsu

I think the moral decision was a bit harder this go around, definitely harder than the first game. There was absolutely no reason to side with Flaming Rose in the first game. All of the humans were complete shit heads. I felt like I owed something to Roche for what he did for me in the prologue and start of chapter 1. There was also something really sincere about him. He never did things in a roundabout way, always straight to the point. Despite all his talk about catching kingslayer/revenge, you can tell he just didn't want to lose his kingdom to complete chaos. Roche's ending in chapter 2 is really dark and a bit sad as well, It was rough. Really felt for the guy and his crew. 

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

I wonder what would happen had I decided to save Phillippa. She's a major bitch in the books as well so I gladly watched her eyes taken out. I love it when games punish the characters I don't like. 

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kyrieee
    @gike987 said:

Umm, what dagger are you talking about?

Anyway, where the f- does Iorveth go? We split up and then he never showed up again. That annoyed me. And yeah, Letho's voice actor was not good, he was much better in the trailers. I wonder why the swapped him out.

I'm not really disappointed by the conclusion of the story, I think it's plausible enough, but the pacing was totally off, it was rushed as hell and Chapter 3 was not good from a gameplay perspective. The linearity worked in the prologue because it was fairly epic, the storming of a castle, this is just you running around. I would've liked another quest hub.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Scotto said:

If you choose not to finish off the dragon, Geralt tells Triss that the dragon may very well be the last in existence, and he wouldn't want to kill such a strong, proud creature.  So yes - moral righteousness isn't Geralt's thing, but morality is present in these choices.

Ah, but at the same time, if you do kill the dragon he also says something similar, along the lines of "This was once a proud creature, but now nothing more than vessel for Philippa" or some such, making it seem like he kills it out of compassion and putting it out of its misery. You must also not forget that by letting the dragon live, it will still be under control and will be used to serve the sorceresses and possibly cause harm to people.
    Not exactly clear cut, either way.

But yes, a disappointing third act for sure, unfortunately. I can't say I wasn't expecting something like this since I've seen people complain before I reached that part, so at least I wasn't disappointed. It's a shame, though.
    Avatar image for keystone_yinzer
    Keystone_Yinzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Keystone_Yinzer
    @Tokubetsu said:
    I think the moral decision was a bit harder this go around, definitely harder than the first game. There was absolutely no reason to side with Flaming Rose in the first game. All of the humans were complete shit heads. I felt like I owed something to Roche for what he did for me in the prologue and start of chapter 1. There was also something really sincere about him. He never did things in a roundabout way, always straight to the point. Despite all his talk about catching kingslayer/revenge, you can tell he just didn't want to lose his kingdom to complete chaos. Roche's ending in chapter 2 is really dark and a bit sad as well, It was rough. Really felt for the guy and his crew. 
    Yeah, most of the Humans were indeed shit-birds. Basically, you either had to want to help your buddy Siegfried out or you just wanted to play a real Lawful type who wanted to bring 'terrorists' to justice even if the terrorists were justified to an extent. I guess you could apply the 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' logic to that, but even in Witcher 2, the Order are a bunch of racist d-bags as you find out in the aftermath of Chapter 3.
    Roche is a priest torturing, sadistic bastard at times, but they actually make him -likeable- which is pretty crazy when you think about it.
    SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SonicBoyster

I like that so many people are assuming every option is the moral one because Geralt rationalizes it afterwards.  That's the ambiguity, right?  Whatever you do, Geralt will rationalize it.  There's no point where you make a decision and Geralt goes, "I did it for devil!  Let's go rape some virgins!"  Every decision can be rationalized so every decision is legitimate.  Now, if the argument is about whether or not Geralt feels like he's making moral decisions throughout the game, I'd entertain that theory, but it doesn't make it any less grey.

I was a fan of the ending, if only because it tells me there will be more Witcher to come in the future, and I can't possibly imagine some of these choices wont come back to haunt me.  The game was far from perfect but I enjoyed it.  My only questions now concern which choices actually made an ultimate impact in the game, and which choices got Dragon Age 2'd and just give you a different strand of dialogue.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Animasta
    @OracleXIII said:
    I wonder what would happen had I decided to save Phillippa. She's a major bitch in the books as well so I gladly watched her eyes taken out. I love it when games punish the characters I don't like. 
    Phillipa can DIE? weird.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gike987
    @kyrieee said:

@gike987 said:

Anyway, where the f- does Iorveth go? We split up and then he never showed up again. That annoyed me. And yeah, Letho's voice actor was not good, he was much better in the trailers. I wonder why the swapped him out.I'm not really disappointed by the conclusion of the story, I think it's plausible enough, but the pacing was totally off, it was rushed as hell and Chapter 3 was not good from a gameplay perspective. The linearity worked in the prologue because it was fairly epic, the storming of a castle, this is just you running around. I would've liked another quest hub.
    The dagger you can force Phillipa to give to you that breaks the spell she uses to control the dragon.
    kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kyrieee
    @gike987 said:
    @kyrieee said:

@gike987 said:

Anyway, where the f- does Iorveth go? We split up and then he never showed up again. That annoyed me. And yeah, Letho's voice actor was not good, he was much better in the trailers. I wonder why the swapped him out.I'm not really disappointed by the conclusion of the story, I think it's plausible enough, but the pacing was totally off, it was rushed as hell and Chapter 3 was not good from a gameplay perspective. The linearity worked in the prologue because it was fairly epic, the storming of a castle, this is just you running around. I would've liked another quest hub.
    The dagger you can force Phillipa to give to you that breaks the spell she uses to control the dragon.
    Oh, I went after Triss. I expected her to die if I didn't, and maybe Saskia can be saved anyway.
    Do you save her if you have the dagger?
    Mooqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mooqi

Yes, Letho takes care of Triss. You save the dragon aka Saskia.

I went to save Saskia since I did not expect them to really let Triss die, regardless of what I do. Triss is the female lead. Film logic applies.

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kyrieee

That's quite a lot of possible divergence.
    I wonder how they'll handle the next game. It would suck if those characters get downplayed because they might not be there.

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bibledoctor

The ending was just so abrupt, I was expecting something grand. Sixteen different cinematics, showing us what our decisions actually did to the characters involved. But all I got was a five second glimpse at Geralt's back, and before that a one minute scene of walking away. It was a great game, and even the Dragon fight didn't bother me (although I had no idea it was Saskia, don't know if it was because I sided with Roche or not), but just the lack of a wrap-up was disappointing. Great game that leaves a sour taste in your mouth because of that end.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By DJJoeJoe
    @Mooqi said:
    ...Never before in a western RPG ...
    Isn't CDProjeckt none american? pretty sure they are from the easternblock, and I honestly consider rpgs made there 'not' western at all... to me it's fable and mass effect taht are western rpgs, and risen/gothic and witcher that are eastern-block rpgs.
    kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kyrieee
    @DJJoeJoe said:
    @Mooqi said:
    ...Never before in a western RPG ...
    Isn't CDProjeckt none american? pretty sure they are from the easternblock, and I honestly consider rpgs made there 'not' western at all... to me it's fable and mass effect taht are western rpgs, and risen/gothic and witcher that are eastern-block rpgs.
    Western has come to mean  "not Japanese"
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @BibleDoctor said:
    The ending was just so abrupt, I was expecting something grand. Sixteen different cinematics, showing us what our decisions actually did to the characters involved. But all I got was a five second glimpse at Geralt's back, and before that a one minute scene of walking away. It was a great game, and even the Dragon fight didn't bother me (although I had no idea it was Saskia, don't know if it was because I sided with Roche or not), but just the lack of a wrap-up was disappointing. Great game that leaves a sour taste in your mouth because of that end.
    Triss/Roche/Iorveth tell you the big picture of the political situation as you walk with them to Letho.
    And Letho explains pretty much everything else if you talk to him.
    SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SonicBoyster

For a game to have expansions it can't lay everything on the table at the ending.  Also the Witcher is about playing out your consequences, not sitting through six minutes of Ron Perlman going over each location you've visited to cap them off.  I want an expansion to finish what I've started and let me sort some stuff out, and it sounds like we're going to get one.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SlasherMan
    @SonicBoyster said:

For a game to have expansions it can't lay everything on the table at the ending.  Also the Witcher is about playing out your consequences, not sitting through six minutes of Ron Perlman going over each location you've visited to cap them off.  I want an expansion to finish what I've started and let me sort some stuff out, and it sounds like we're going to get one.

I was more annoyed by the fact that the ending was simply not satisfying to me. It's not even about lack of closure (though to some extent there is that) but it just felt rushed compared to the rest of the game. It was also very anti-climactic. Not something I expect from an epic like this. It just was not up to the same standard as the rest of the game.

IMO, game endings should be treated as fulfilling rewards for the players that invested the time in the game and finished it. The first one had a very good ending, with a nice cinematic prepping the plot for what came next. This one, not so much.
    kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kyrieee
    @Tennmuerti said:
    @BibleDoctor said:
    Triss/Roche/Iorveth tell you the big picture of the political situation as you walk with them to Letho.And Letho explains pretty much everything else if you talk to him.
    Iorveth wasn't semi-dead for you? How??
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Damn, didn't knopw the choices mattered THAT much. Finished it yesterday, and I have no clue what some of you are talking about. Will have to replay it.

frondoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By frondoni
    @Mooqi: You know that the humans he killed were completely innocent? And he advocated killing any human he saw - "King or beggar, what's the difference?" Iorveth was little more than a racist terrorist. Wait, actually that's exactly what he was. 

Obviously you see it differently, but this is no black-and-white situation.
    Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Heltom92

Wait, the dragon is Saskia!? When is this explained?

Also I hated the dragon boss. It was boring and the combat system just doesn't work well enough to be able to avoid her attacks most of the time.

Mooqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mooqi
    @frondoni: Siding with Iorveth does not make him king or something, so his personality or his past deeds do not matter that much. However there are some dialogue scenes with Dandelion in which Geralt states that Iorveth has changed, because he sees a chance for the Elves to be free for once. I never said it was a "black-and-white decision", but if I have to choose between violent supremacists and violent freedom fighters, for me the choice is clear, because the latter faction is at least fighting for a just cause. Siding with Iorveth makes Verden an independent realm of free and equal people ruled by Sakia. This is a good outcome in my opinion.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gike987
    @Heltom92 said:
    Wait, the dragon is Saskia!? When is this explained?  Also I hated the dragon boss. It was boring and the combat system just doesn't work well enough to be able to avoid her attacks most of the time.
    I finished that boss and managed to dodge almost every attack, it's completely possible to avoid all her attacks, there is nothing wrong about the dodging mechanics in that fight.
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By amir90

Hmm, pretty happy with the ending, could have been better.

I chose the Iorveths path, pretty happy with that.
    Now ill play with the opposite choices, oO

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This topic has made me realise how fucking awesome this game is... just how different peoples games have been. 

Dragon Age nothin'.

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kyrieee
    @Heltom92 said:
    Wait, the dragon is Saskia!? When is this explained?
    It's only revealed if you side with Iorveth. It makes sense because very few people know about it and you only find out because... play the Iorveth path and find out for yourself :P

I think it's pretty cool that you only get certain info if you choose a certain path, it really shows commitment to the storytelling IMO.
    mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mak_wikus

I personally liked the ending(the possibilities!). Imagine how much shit there is to import with your save for another game. Mind-boggling.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Binman88

I was satisfied with the ending. Fighting the dragon made perfect sense in my storyline (siding with Iorveth), and was a fitting conclusion to the main plot. Letho explained any questions I had (before I killed him), and the game thankfully didn't predict the future and tell me all the consequences of my actions - thus leaving it completely open to a third instalment in the series. I was happy with the decisions I made, so I didn't need the game to confirm if they were right or wrong in some kinda montage.  

People feel shortchanged by the fact that the chapters get increasingly smaller from 1 to 3, but if you look at the game as a whole, I certainly felt I got my money's worth. I think the issue people see is three distinct chapters and assume they should all be of relatively equal length, which is absurd. I do find it strange though, that the game supplies you with an abundance of weapons and armour that are only really attainable in Chapter 3, when the game is almost over, and can't really be put to much use.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.