Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Group therapy for people playing on insane

davidjohnkeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By davidjohnkeen

A place for people to share their experiences with the insane difficulty level.

I finished The Witcher 2 on normal a week or so after it came out and after a short break decided to play through again on insane. After a two attempts to get past the prologue I made it into Chapter One pretty comfortably and really enjoyed how on edge this difficulty level forces you to be. I just had my third death around ten hours in trying to complete "In the Claws of Madness" which is just dripping with irony.

I was just wondering how other people have fared on insane? So far there is only one guy on the site with the Madman achievement so I guess anyone else who's trying this is finding it equally challenging.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By valrog

I dare not try it on Insane because of the slightly unresponsive skills.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti

I was planning to play on insanity before the game came out.
    But having played through the story 2 times first on normal then on hard, my urge to play on insanity is at the moment diminished.
    Maybe at a later date when the expansion comes out.

As it stands insanity feels a bit cheap due to a number of instant death scenarios present in the game. And I don't want to juggle saves since it would feel like cheating and kind of defeat the purpose of insanity.
    If it was not for those, I'd consider it more.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ghostiet

I'll try once, but this sounds really heavy to do in the earlier parts. The game's not really hard after you finish Chapter One (apart from fighting Golems, I swear to God, the only reliable way to kill those bastards was spamming Grapeshots). The earlier parts, however, sound crazy unless you do everything in the proper order, because I can't imagine attempting missions like Malena without dying at least once.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Group therapy for people who have outdated PC's and are unable to play Witcher 2 would have been a more interesting topic.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Ghostiet said:
    I'll try once, but this sounds really heavy to do in the earlier parts. The game's not really hard after you finish Chapter One (apart from fighting Golems, I swear to God, the only reliable way to kill those bastards was spamming Grapeshots). The earlier parts, however, sound crazy unless you do everything in the proper order, because I can't imagine attempting missions like Malena without dying at least once.
    Don't roget the draugir/wraith battles in chapter 2 when you are stripped of your skills.
    You get caught by those fire arrows even once and its gg.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

Was thinking bout playing insane but i'm giving it some time before i play the game again.  I usually give like 6 months to a year before i replay a good RPG so that the second time around doesn't feel like i'm rushing the experience because i know plot points.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I would join but im afraid someone will stab me because only crazy people play on insane!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Tennmuerti said:
    @Ghostiet said:
    Don't roget the draugir/wraith battles in chapter 2 when you are stripped of your skills.You get caught by those fire arrows even once and its gg.
    Oh boy, I forgot about that part. I had no knowledge in hell how to beat that draugir, so I just spammed Grapeshots at him. It worked marvels, but fuck, wasn't that cheese.
    davidjohnkeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By davidjohnkeen

@Ghostiet: @Tennmuerti: Chapter 2 will definitely have some pretty tough parts, I want to focus on magic this time so being stripped of all magic skills for a good chunk of the second act doesn't sound like much fun.

I'm starting to lean towards playing it on hard for the second play through and might come back to it after that..

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Thule

I'm not playing on insane. I play this game for fun and even though I like a good challenge, I don't want to see however many hours wasted because I died randomly. Instead, I just play with mods. Using this and this mod together helps balance the game, making the beginning easier and the late-game harder, just the way it's supposed to be.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By amir90

Will try this game on insane tomorrow, just got my PC fixed again  ^^

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By m0rdr3d
    @davidjohnkeen said:

So far there is only one guy on the site with the Madman achievement so I guess anyone else who's trying this is finding it equally challenging.

That's probably because Steam Achievements for the game have reportedly been borked for a while due to a patch.
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

Full disclosure: I'm the guy with that achievement. I did not acquire it through legit means. 

I tried, it was just WAAAAY to frustrating.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By valrog

Maybe I'll never play on Insane, but I will definitely play on Dark.

illumAeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By illumAeed

I'd rather chop my wee wee off. 

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShockD

I remember the first time when I played it on normal it felt like it was insane :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.