Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Is the alternate (Roche) 2nd act worth the replay?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

Played this awesome game last year after I got my gaming PC and enjoyed it very much. As such I did not play the enhanced edition and now I am eyeballing it. On my first playthrough I picked the Iorveth path which seemed the natural selection if the game didn't have a branching story line. Now I am assuming the 3rd act and the epilogue are generally the same every time so I would like to know if the Roche path worth the second playthrough?

I would like to know the general opinions people had on that branch of the story. You can include spoilers from the Iorveth story but please don't include any from the Roche one.

Thanks.

Avatar image for gorndonfredoman
    gorndonfredoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By gorndonfredoman

I did not finish it but I tried it immediately after doing the other one and act 2 was an absolute chore by comparison. If you want more witcher you should really check out the first one, it's a better game in a multitude of ways and there's a combat mod for it that I believe informed a lot of what they changed for the sequel.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By colourful_hippie

I played the game on 360 first and went on the Roche path through Act 2 and stopped playing halfway through the 3rd Act. I played and finished the game on PC and instead of going with Roche, I went with Iorveth. Now that I'm trying to remember Act 3 from both playthroughs there are only some minor changes like how you end up getting into Loc Muinne. I think I might play again to join Roche this time because there was one specific choice at the end Act 2 that could have a big change on how Act 3 played out.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mordukai

@gorndonfredoman: I keep hearing that I need to play the first Witcher. Right now I am neck deep in Thief 2 so I might give that one a try after.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

playing both act 2's are vital for understanding the entire story.

Roche's act 2 is also way more grim and brutal than Iorveth's.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By ComradeKhan

I did the Roche path first and it was good. That is just a very good game in general so if any game deserves a second play through the Witcher 2 is one of them. If you liked the game the first time then I would say yes, you should go at it again as it's been a while since you played it originally and there is added content from the enhanced edition and the Roche path will give you a whole new angle for act 2.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By valrog

I chose Roche on my first playthrough and I really enjoyed it. The only annoyance was that it felt that you missed some story in Act III because you only find out those things from a journal and is never made clear how Geralt got to that information.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

@mordukai: I definitely think it's worth it if you really like the Witcher 2. I also came back and did his path - actually played through the entire First Act just to get to it but I also did a few things different in Act 1 which was neat to see what I missed. I think it was interesting but I stopped playing halfway through - mostly because some other game came along and I think I was just really satisfied with how much Witcher 2 I've gotten at that point.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

The Roche path singlehandedly made me despise and resent The Witcher 2 for about a whole year.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By abendlaender

Yes,totally. If you lliked Witcher 2 you actually need to play this.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Ghostiet

@AhmadMetallic said:

The Roche path singlehandedly made me despise and resent The Witcher 2 for about a whole year.

Que?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vitor

@mordukai: Totally. The Roche path is so much more full of intrigue and political machinations. It really gave off more of a Game of Thrones vibe than the other path to me. I loved it, a lot darker and a lot more engaging. The setting is a little drearier (the war camp instead of a city) but the stories it holds are fantastic. Absolutely recommended.

Plus, you get the chance to make certain decisions that could potentially severely f up the world for the sequel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.