Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Jumping back in, How does it play with a controller ?

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ToxicFruit

I have been thinking about jumping back into the witcher 2.

I bought it shorty after it came out but i never made it further than the end of the first arc.

Its not that i don't like it, that was just not the right time for me to play it.

Now i am wondering, the last time i played it i used a mouse and keyboard but now i really just want to sit on my couch and soak it all in through big picture.

I know it came out on console but are there any notable drawbacks for using a controller in it ?

Thanks,

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bell_End

it control best with a controller. there are not drawbacks at all

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OfficeGamer

The only drawback of using a controller, for any game, is not receiving the perfection provided by the mouse's precision and side buttons, and the keyboard's abundance of keys (and hotkeys).

Which means that if you are considering using a controller, it means you'll enjoy using it. Those who don't enjoy using it are those who don't consider it in the first place, because they know they need to aim at them monsters with a mouse, and use hotkeys, and so forth.

Go ahead and hook up your controller, and have a great time! Witcher 2 is a fantastic piece of ass.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

It plays a whole lot better than M&KB. No drawbacks at all - the prompts change and everything, and the game seems like it was developed with the controller in mind.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Roughly 17% better. The game was clearly designed with a controller in mind.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TruthTellah

@Tfruit: It was designed for a controller; so, you will get the best experience on a controller. Works near flawlessly.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mordukai

@Bell_End said:

Navigating the UI was a blast.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@mordukai said:

@Bell_End said:

I think the positives of the action controlling so much better with a controller outweigh the problems with the menu, at least personally.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bell_End

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@mordukai said:

@Bell_End said:

I think the positives of the action controlling so much better with a controller outweigh the problems with the menu, at least personally.

i was going to say the same. in fact i kept my wireless mouse close by so i could use that in the menu's

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By ToxicFruit

@Bell_End said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@mordukai said:

@Bell_End said:

i was going to say the same. in fact i kept my wireless mouse close by so i could use that in the menu's

That does not sound that bad

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@mordukai said:

@Bell_End said:

I didn't have much of an issue with the menus. They're not great with a controller, but they're fine.

Meanwhile, the actual game plays pretty well with a controller in my opinion.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By zaccheus

I agree with others, the menus aren't perfect but in combat a controller is much better.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By mak_wikus
    @believer258 said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@mordukai said:

@Bell_End said:

I didn't have much of an issue with the menus. They're not great with a controller, but they're fine.

They added sorting options for your inventory. Options that are not usable with controller from what I've heard.
    Also, everyone keeps saying that they've improved the gamepad support in the EE version, while they have not touched it at all. Use mouse for menus.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Justin258

@mak_wikus said:

@believer258 said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@mordukai said:

@Bell_End said:

They added sorting options for your inventory. Options that are not usable with controller from what I've heard. Also, everyone keeps saying that they've improved the gamepad support in the EE version, while they have not touched it at all. Use mouse for menus.

I distinctly remember the ability to sort with a controller.

Anyway, I don't want to defend the menus with a controller because they're not really all that great. It's kind of confusing how they're supposed to work and you accidentally mess up on it often for the first hour or two. However, they are far from impenetrable - given enough practice, any player can get around their oddities and use a controller with the in-game menus just fine. Not "great", not as well-designed as Dead Space's or Dragon Age's UI on controllers, but most definitely "usable after some practice."

All of that said, you can get around this by keeping a cheap wireless mouse handy. Personally, I prefer just using the controller instead of bothering with the mouse, but I can definitely see the wireless mouse being a good solution.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mordukai

@Bell_End said:

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@mordukai said:

@Bell_End said:

I must have played before they fixed it because when I played the game you could only pick controller or kb&m. I ended up playing with a controller myself but I never really got used to the clunky UI management.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I just got a new PC... actually it's a Mac (it's mainly for work) but I put bootcamp on it for when I feel like playing some PC games. I downloaded this game to play and kind of to see how well I could actually run it. It feels odd though. The controls feel quite sluggish with the mouse and keyboard. So I ended up ordering a 360 controller for Windows and it's pretty much the same deal. The input delay is a good 1-2 seconds when I move the character. Is this just how the game is? I played it a little bit on 360 and sort of remember the same feeling but I'm not sure. Or is my computer just not running it well? It didn't seem to matter how low I put the graphics on.

That being said, I can run Crysis 3 on high without much problem so I'm guessing it's just the game but I wanted to confirm that that's how it's suppose to feel.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

So I just got a new PC... actually it's a Mac (it's mainly for work) but I put bootcamp on it for when I feel like playing some PC games. I downloaded this game to play and kind of to see how well I could actually run it. It feels odd though. The controls feel quite sluggish with the mouse and keyboard. So I ended up ordering a 360 controller for Windows and it's pretty much the same deal. The input delay is a good 1-2 seconds when I move the character. Is this just how the game is? I played it a little bit on 360 and sort of remember the same feeling but I'm not sure. Or is my computer just not running it well? It didn't seem to matter how low I put the graphics on.

That being said, I can run Crysis 3 on high without much problem so I'm guessing it's just the game but I wanted to confirm that that's how it's suppose to feel.

Have you tried lowering the settings?

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

Have you tried lowering the settings?

Yeah I lowered em all the way down and it still feels like that. Perhaps it's a little better... I can't really tell. That might just be my mind thinking it's better because I expect it to run better when it's actually not. Just wondering if the controls are just naturally sluggish like that (or heavy or whatever you want to call it).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.