Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

story makes absolutely no sense if you dont play first game

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SturmMajere

so i never played the first game, and i just jumped into the enhanced edition of 2 after hearing sooo much about how you need not have played the first game to understand the story. THAT IS A LIE. i don't know how else to put it.

this games story (up through where i've just reached, the prison barge after the kayran in ch 1) relies SO heavily on shit that happened in the first one it's maddening to new players, they throw a million random crazily spelled made up fantasy names and terms, then they tease you with a glossary section of the journal that NEVER FILLS UP WITH ANYTHING. so i'm just supposed to know instinctively what the fuck yennefer and kaer something and demavan and ciri and a million other random words mean?

and apparently elves are oppressed somehow? i don't actually know this from the game, but from the reviews and shit, as the game just throws you into it, introduces a bunch of random elves,and arbitrarily expects you to understand the social struggle between them and humans. HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THIS STUFF.

really the only part of the story that is clear is that this random king got killed, after i randomly woke up in his camp, with no explanation who foltest was, why geralt was with him, or how the fuck i even got in that situation. it's like this game picks up 2 minutes after the end of the first one and if you didnt play it then, huh, well too bad.

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SturmMajere

basically my point is, why in the world does everyone say you need not have played the first game? is there ANYONE among the people saying that that actually haven't played the first game? cause i really can't see how to any newcomer this story wouldn't be considered confusing and unwelcoming as fuck.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

those four things you mentioned either have no importance to the story, or are main points of the story. Yennefer and Ciri aren't even from the first game, they're from the books (and they explain what up with them later). Demevend is that king you saw get murdered in the opening cinematic, and Kaer Morhen is just a place of no real importance.

also if you've gotten as far as killing the kayran and STILL not understood from the game that the elves are discriminated against (if you didn't notice the area where they live is called the NONHUMAN district) then maybe you should pay more attention? It doesn't make you understand the situation up front, that's dumb; Iorveth is there to explain why he's a terrorist and what the scoia'tael's goals are, which tie into why the elves are discriminated against.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258  Online

To Wikipedia, my friend, you shall venture for detailed answers!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Animasta
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By sfighter21

@SturmMajere: Uh, yeah... I played the first one, and Yennefer and Ciri aren't ever mentioned (not that I can recall). Kaer Morhen is just the place the game opens in the first game... its just some abandoned fortress. You can TOTALLY play this 2nd game without playing the first, its just awesome when something from the first is referenced and you can have that "Oh Yeah, I remember that!" moment.

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SturmMajere

does it not strike you guys as odd that in order to understand what's going on, that i have to keep my laptop open to some wiki while i'm playing? does that not seem like an oversight to you people? especially when theres a section of the journal called "glossary" that does nothing?

and also, you say the shit i mentioned has no bearing on the story, but i just finished a conversation with triss where, i think, we basically agree to put off the searching for the slayer thing, in order to look for some chick named yennefer. what the fuck? and then i had to pick conversation responses with triss, and i was pretty much a dick just cause i had no idea what she was talking about and wanted her to stop so i could get on with it.

this sucks ass.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Barrock

Is the first one worth going back to now?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Animasta

@SturmMajere said:

does it not strike you guys as odd that in order to understand what's going on, that i have to keep my laptop open to some wiki while i'm playing? does that not seem like an oversight to you people? especially when theres a section of the journal called "glossary" that does nothing?

and also, you say the shit i mentioned has no bearing on the story, but i just finished a conversation with triss where, i think, we basically agree to put off the searching for the slayer thing, in order to look for some chick named yennefer. what the fuck? and then i had to pick conversation responses with triss, and i was pretty much a dick just cause i had no idea what she was talking about and wanted her to stop so i could get on with it.

this sucks ass.

geralt has amnesia and barely remembers yennefer either...

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SturmMajere

took me about 5 hours to realize they aren't talking about real squirrels, and that people didn't keep referencing emphysema, they were actually saying "in vizima". which is apparently a place.

in the first game.

that i know nothing about.

and , if you want to play 2 it's an absolute must you play the first one, or you'll be stuck here cursing this shit like i am

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude

Actually, Triss says Foltest is our King to Geralt and that Geralt serves Foltest. He also mentions there being an assassination attempt on the king. When you get to the first city after the prolog, you can tell there are problems. That one elf who is holding the kingslayer seems to be an ass  with the Scoia'tail. There's also the place called the non-human district, dead give away there. I met this one dwarf who had books for sale and also mentioned the trials and tribulations of non-humans.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Animasta

@SturmMajere: are you on cold medication? no way can you be this dense. One of my friends played witcher 2 without having had any exposure to ANY witcher stuff, and he was able to follow the plot just fine.

also Vizima is just a city? It is in no way important to the plot.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TentPole

You do not need to play the first game you just need some reading comprehension to follow a story that is not force fed to you with everything important in BOLD.

I implore everyone to ignore this thread.

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SturmMajere

@Claude: oh, there's another one of my favorites. scoia'tale. the game mentions them countless times, but literally not once do they explain who they are. i get that they're elves, but to be honest i dont know if scoia'tell is another word for elves, a sect of elves, or what. cause it's totally fucking unclear.

and , for someone with amnesia he sure remembers a hell of a lot. LIKE ALL THE JARGON. the amnesia is so poorly written in it's staggering. but for him to abandon his quest to clear his name in order to chase down roses for this yennefer chick, i as a player would like to know why.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TentPole

@SturmMajere said:

@Claude: oh, there's another one of my favorites. scoia'tale. the game mentions them countless times, but literally not once do they explain who they are. i get that they're elves, but to be honest i dont know if scoia'tell is another word for elves, a sect of elves, or what. cause it's totally fucking unclear.

and , for someone with amnesia he sure remembers a hell of a lot. LIKE ALL THE JARGON. the amnesia is so poorly written in it's staggering. but for him to abandon his quest to clear his name in order to chase down roses for this yennefer chick, i as a player would like to know why.

I suggest you never try and read A Clockwork Orange. Your head would explode.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Animasta

@SturmMajere: what jargon? the spell names? those spell names are in the glossary I'm fairly sure.Also, he's not chasing down roses for Yennefer, he's doing it to restore his memory, which, ya know, is important for a guy with amnesia.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy

@SturmMajere:

The fact that you didn't "get" that Squirrels is just a translation of Scoia'tael means you have not been paying attention.

Thinking that they say emphysema instead of in Vizima is not the game's fault AT ALL. It's either your bad hearing and lack of knowledge of what is going on.

CD Prjokect Red made a video re-capping things from the first game, and it does a great job. I haven't played the first game and I know everything that is going on.

For things that you don't understand look in your journal. There is a codex-like area in there for people, places, etc. Vizima is just a city from the first game, where Foltest ruled as the king of Temeria. Vizima is the capital of Temeria. Much of the game took place there when Foltest hired Geralt the first time to hunt down Azar Javed, the main antagonist from the first game. The reason why Foltest brings Geralt around with him at the start of TW2 is because he saved his life at the end of TW1 when the kingslaying plan began.

I know all this from not playing the first game. You really need to either pay more attention, talk to people more, read more journal entires, or a mix of all three. If these don't work for you then this game probably isn't for you because it's deeply political and you need to know what's going on.

@Barrock: Don't listen to him, it's not required. I haven't touched the first one and I know and understand everything that is going on. It's just that this game requires you to pay more attention to the world's status because there are many characters all with different motivations and it's, as I said, deeply political.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Claude

Also, here's what I've got from the game. Foltest had bastard children from another noble woman. That pissed off the other family. Triss and Geralt talk about the war because of a family squabble. You actually fight the son of Foltest's mistress, unless you talk him down. Remember that in the prolog. After that, you're on your way to find the kingslayer and clear your name. I'm still in the first city doing side quests.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Jace

@TentPole said:

You do not need to play the first game you just need some reading comprehension to follow a story that is not force fed to you with everything important in BOLD.

I implore everyone to ignore this thread.

^ Truth. The story picks up just fine.

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SturmMajere

i assure you, it's not in the glossary. the only thing in the glossary is a looong entry about something called the wild hunt. totally useless. the glossary doesn't fill up at all.

and no, by jargon i mean just what i said before, "scoiatell", stuff like that. words dropped on the player with no background or definition.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Claude
    @SturmMajere: There's an elf outside of the first city you visit and if you ask him he tells you the story of the Scoia'tail. He was a pretty important character. I bought some stuff from him to help me with the Nekker contract. Some bombs.
    SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SturmMajere

i love the guys attacking me for being "Dense" and needing shit "force fed" to me.

nope, i just need a comprehensible story. either that or a useful journal.

dopplerganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dopplerganger

i'm sorry you can't enjoy a well written game. maybe wait for the dr. seuss rpg.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TentPole

@dopplerganger said:

i'm sorry you can't enjoy a well written game. maybe wait for the dr. seuss rpg.

Double Fine needs to make that game.

I want it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Claude
    @SturmMajere said:

i love the guys attacking me for being "Dense" and needing shit "force fed" to me.

nope, i just need a comprehensible story. either that or a useful journal.

If the shoe fits.
    SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SturmMajere

since i'm just dense, and need everything spelled out for me, what exactly should i have paid attention to, that would have let me know that scoiatell means squirrel? the game says that NOWHERE. really. what should i have paid attention to exactly?

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By phampire

I had friends play the Witcher 2 and they understood the story well enough and most reviewers agree that you can still enjoy it without playing the first game or reading the books. I can't really back this up on a personal level since I've played the first Witcher and I've have read some of the books. Geralt doesn't forget everything just some of his personal experiences are a bit muddled. In other words he knows that non humans and Witchers are barely tolerated. As long as you pay attention you should be fine. Its a fantasy so expect a lot of made up words.

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SturmMajere

@dopplerganger: that's cute.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Claude
    @SturmMajere said:

@xyzygy since i'm just dense, and need everything spelled out for me, what exactly should i have paid attention to, that would have let me know that scoiatell means squirrel? the game says that NOWHERE. really. what should i have paid attention to exactly?

Dude it's in the game. They mention the Squirrels being the Scoia'tail a few times. You gotta be fucking with us.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Animasta

@SturmMajere said:

since i'm just dense, and need everything spelled out for me, what exactly should i have paid attention to, that would have let me know that scoiatell means squirrel? the game says that NOWHERE. really. what should i have paid attention to exactly?

you should have talked to cedric already and he has a dialogue option that says "what are the scoia'tael and what are their goals?" I just checked.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Origina1Penguin

@Claude said:

You gotta be fucking with us.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Claude
    @Animasta said:

@SturmMajere said:

@xyzygy since i'm just dense, and need everything spelled out for me, what exactly should i have paid attention to, that would have let me know that scoiatell means squirrel? the game says that NOWHERE. really. what should i have paid attention to exactly?

you should have talked to cedric already and he has a dialogue option that says "what are the scoia'tael and what are their goals?" I just checked.

Cedric is also important for the Nekker contract. I bought the bombs from him to destroy their entries, plus, the diagram to make the bombs. I think it was called Grapeshot or something.
    SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SturmMajere

@Claude: I ASSURE YOU. it is not. for fucks sake, i'm not gonna create a topic where i dont know what i'm talking about just to fuck with anyone. i suspected it meant squirrel from the beginning, then paid extra close attention to see if the game EVER explicitly stated that. IT DID NOT. i assure you, i was paying attention for it, as i was developing the opinion that this game doesn't fill you in on enough stuff. it's never said, period.

not only that, up to where i am, NOBODY explaines what the fuck scoiatell even are, besides elves. i've literally learned more about the lore and world from reviews than the game itself. reviews told me the elves are like terrorists and are oppressed, the game has not.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xyzygy

@SturmMajere said:

I can't tell you every single line from every character. This is important story stuff. It definitely came up many times. You're just not paying attention.

Go talk to Cedric. Animasta just pointed out that he talks about it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Claude
    @SturmMajere: Well, we've given you a small glimpse of what we've learned from this game. I guess you're doing it wrong.
    SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SturmMajere

@xyzygy: hahahaha way to fail completely. i am 100% sure that the game nowhere explicitly says that the "squirrels" are the same as the scoitell. you just assume that it's said somewhere, but can't tell me where, or by whom, so i just must not have been paying attention.

fuck off.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Animasta

I'm not kidding here, have you ever PLAYED an RPG? Like, sometimes games don't outright say something and instead imply it. The implication is that elves are treated like crap because they are sectioned off in a ghetto on the edge of town, the fucking leader of the town outright says he's racist, and there is much idle chatter from the townsfolk saying that the town sucks because all of the non humans haven't been murdered yet. it's not really as hard to figure out as you think. Also Cedric straight up tells you they're terrorists, head of the town wants you to track Iorveth down because he terrorizes the city,, and he's the LEADER of the Scoia'tael...

SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SturmMajere

lol you people are really idiots. get your head out your ass for 2 seconds and stop blindly defending this game.

it does a poor job of explaining what the fuck is going on. period.

i'm through here.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By rollingzeppelin

wow, learn to read between the lines dude. The game doesn't explicitly tell you all of the story elements, but you can piece it together as the game goes on. If you hate the game so much then stop playing it, go play something you'll understand.

Everyone here is baffled by this thread because we've all played the game and understood it just fine, so the problem here is you.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Claude
    @SturmMajere: Don't let the door hit you in the ass. Oh wait, you didn't see it coming. There's the door it might hit you in the ass.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Animasta

waaaaaaah paying attention is hard waaaaaaaah

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xyzygy

@SturmMajere said:

@xyzygy: hahahaha way to fail completely. i am 100% sure that the game nowhere explicitly says that the "squirrels" are the same as the scoitell. you just assume that it's said somewhere, but can't tell me where, or by whom, so i just must not have been paying attention.

fuck off.

You are getting way too defensive over this, which makes me believe you're either making this up or really have no idea what playing an RPG is all about. You know what? Myself and every other single person who posted in this thread are 100% sure that you are explicitly told that Scoia'tael means Squirrels, and also that they were formed as a rebellion after being used and sacrificed by the Nilfgaardian Army to further their own cause. Just as an example of the things you learn of them.

I'm not making this shit up. IT'S ALL IN THE GAME.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SturmMajere said:

this sucks ass.

Did you not watch the games cut scenes? You do not need to pay the first game to follow the story in the second. The books would help but are not needed. It sounds more or less like you missed a whole chunk of info at the starts of the game. 
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Animasta

@xyzygy said:

@SturmMajere said:

fuck off.

and also that they were formed as a rebellion after being used and sacrificed by the Nilfgaardian Army to further their own cause.

this isn't true for all scoia'tael, Iorveth's band was just used by the Nilfgaardian's through Letho

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SturmMajere said:

fuck off.

Its the same as figuring out that a slang name is an insult for a group of people. 
    TheVeteran13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheVeteran13
    This thread
    This thread
    SturmMajere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SturmMajere

lol, i love no one actually talking about the fact that the journal is absolute shit, quest handling aside. "Has section called glossary. Nothing in it." its like the beginning of a meme.

but no, please, keep insulting me this is good stuff, and a great use of bandwidth.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Here I go assuming someone isn't a troll...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/synonym

I highly suggest you look at #2. I'm sorry, but the game clearly uses Squirrel and Scoia'tael interchangeably. You ARE dense, because this is literally the first time this complaint has ever been saddled on this game. The game does a fine job of explaining what is vital to the story, especially the Scoia'tael, and if you can't pick up on it that doesn't make you some fucking luminary in the world of the Witcher for being the first to notice plot holes when there aren't any.

Just look at it logically. I mean, if the game has been through the review circuit and the community wringer, what hasn't been said about it that pertains to what is VITAL to the game working from a story perspective? Nothing, barring something like the EE from the original Witcher. You seem to be lacking an important skill in video games, and the world in general; context. You don't understand the situation in which things are put, and thus you cannot believe anything is being told to you because you're not being told 100% in the face exactly what the fuck is happening. Getting what people are saying not by just what they say, but how they say it and in what context is an important life skill and I suggest you go learn it.

You are beyond the edge case at this point, because all I can compare your feelings to is Ryan Davis. The man probably had no idea what the Witcher was really about before trying the second game and he's never been one I'd call a player of intuition (another skill you sorely lack), and from what I recall he had a smooth experience in terms of understanding.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played the first one, also never had to read a wiki and I understand everything just fine. OP must be an idiot and/or a kid or something.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@SturmMajere said:

lol, i love no one actually talking about the fact that the journal is absolute shit, quest handling aside. "Has section called glossary. Nothing in it." its like the beginning of a meme.

but no, please, keep insulting me this is good stuff, and a great use of bandwidth.

I thought you were done here? Now he can't even comprehend his own posts!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.