Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Witcher 2 to be sold through GOG.com

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

Edited By abdo

The first brand new game to be sold through GoG will be CD Projekt's very own The Witcher 2. 

More info here:  http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-18-good-old-games-to-sell-the-witcher-2 

Hopefully it won't be overpriced like other new games sold through digital distribution. Seriously, CODBLOPS was 60 Euros on Steam, whereas the cheapest I could find it in brick and mortar shops was 30 Euros. Outrageous. 

So, will you be getting the downloadable version or the disk version?

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By abdo

The first brand new game to be sold through GoG will be CD Projekt's very own The Witcher 2. 

More info here:  http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-18-good-old-games-to-sell-the-witcher-2 

Hopefully it won't be overpriced like other new games sold through digital distribution. Seriously, CODBLOPS was 60 Euros on Steam, whereas the cheapest I could find it in brick and mortar shops was 30 Euros. Outrageous. 

So, will you be getting the downloadable version or the disk version?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

I'll be getting the retail version, although I can see the downloadable version being a good deal, as CD Projekt RED are also behind GOG.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Kind of defeats the point of Good Old Games.  But whatever. 
    Personally I'll be getting the disc version, thanks to the rather nice collectors edition. 

Though it wouldn't break my heart if we Europeans miss out on the head bust.  I can't believe anyone has a use for that thing. 
    (just noticed the PEGI logo on the box.  Curses.)
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

How big is this thing? Over 20 gigs?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Tennmuerti

Will be most likely be getting the physical CE version, since I really want to support CD Project as much as possible.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Adamsons

Steam > Retail > Other digital distribution

My preference anyway - Ive used things like impulse and EA to buy games before, but its just a pain in the balls when you have multiple digital distribution clients to juggle.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

GoG doesn't install any software onto your computer though. Its not exactly like Steam or GFW.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By fjordson

I'll be getting a physical copy of the collector's edition. CD Projekt deserves all of my money for their greatness.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By abdo
    @Adamsons: Yeah, like ryanwho said, with GoG, all you have to install on your computer is the game itself. 

@Adamsons said:
    " Steam > Retail  

Retail>Steam. Only reason I'd use Steam is if it was cheaper than the shops.  

Advantages 
    • Box you can put on the shelf, makes you feel like you actually own the game
    • Booklet, soundtrack or other bonuses
    • Cheaper (depends on where you buy it)
    • Faster installation
    • Can lend it out to a friend, or sell it when you're done (depending on DRM)  
    • No need to wait for the game to download, especially when you have a slower connection 

Can't think of any advantages Steam has over this.
    Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Adamsons
    @abdo said:

" @Adamsons: Yeah, like ryanwho said, with GoG, all you have to install on your computer is the game itself. 

@Adamsons said:

" Steam > Retail  

Advantages 
    • Faster installation
    • No need to wait for the game to download, especially when you have a slower connection 
     Can't think of any advantages Steam has over this. "
    Aha I haven't used GoG before so excuse my ignorance there.

I like Steams portability though, especially for things like PvZ, Braid and soon Super Meat Boy. Also that its centralized - It auto updates all my games (not letting it touch my drivers.)  

I'm really not a fan of physical media though and 50mb connections aren't uncommon here so download speed isn't usually an issue. My only qualm with steam is that its prices can sometimes be comical, but then the sales are often pretty amazing.

Back on topic though if Witcher 2 isn't on steam I'll probably score it from GoG.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By valrog

I'm definitely getting the box.

LlamaLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By LlamaLlama

More likely to get a physical copy, and well I like getting the art book/soundtrack combo, all the other junk doesn't really make me want to get the CE. Mostly going physical because my internet is so bad here it took two days for me to download the first one off Steam.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gike987
    Here it is.
    They  are sticking to GOG policy of 100% DRM-free games. Awesome! At the same time I hope it doesn't get pirated too much. 
    You also get Gothic 2 Gold, Realms of Arkania 1 + 2, Realms of Arkania 3, Divine Divinity, or Beyond Divinity  for free (you choose which one you want).
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @abdo said:
    " @Adamsons: Yeah, like ryanwho said, with GoG, all you have to install on your computer is the game itself. 

@Adamsons said:
    " Steam > Retail  

Advantages 
    • Faster installation
     Can't think of any advantages Steam has over this. "
    I can think of one: Your house burns down while you are away and you no long have that. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

That's an irrational fear though. Only crazy people base their purchases on farfetched paranoid fears.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By coaxmetal

Hope it comes to steam too. Otherwise I will pick up a retail copy, maybe one with those fancy schmancy extras

Onigenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Onigenko

I'm getting it digital, will just have to decide whether to go Steam or GoG.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RsistncE

I'm not sure if I'll be able to run it well enough to make it look pretty like in the trailers, so I hope a demo comes out or else I'll have to download it to test it out first. Don't have the $45 to drop haphazardly.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @RsistncE said:
    " I'm not sure if I'll be able to run it well enough to make it look pretty like in the trailers, so I hope a demo comes out or else I'll have to download it to test it out first. Don't have the $45 to drop haphazardly. "
    ...then first find another $300 to drop on a new video card. :)
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimbo

I'll probably use GoG then as long as it isn't more expensive than I can get a retail copy delivered for.  I only still buy physical copies at all because it's so much cheaper than DD (which is ridiculous).  Buying direct from the developer's site is the best way to support PC gaming, so if they give me that option at a competitive price then I'll use it every time.

bpops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By bpops
    @Fjordson said:
    " I'll be getting a physical copy of the collector's edition. CD Projekt deserves all of my money for their greatness. "
    If you buy a physical copy, part of the price you pay will go to shipping, manufacturing, retail, etc. If you really want to support them, buy a digital copy directly from GOG.

But if you just want the discs and box, then go for it. Just don't buy it for the wrong reason :)
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By coaxmetal
    @Jimbo said:
    " I'll probably use GoG then as long as it isn't more expensive than I can get a retail copy delivered for.  I only still buy physical copies at all because it's so much cheaper than DD (which is ridiculous).  Buying direct from the developer's site is the best way to support PC gaming, so if they give me that option at a competitive price then I'll use it every time. "
    yea, good point, I didn't think of that. I usually prefer to get games through Steam, but GoG would support the developer directly.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RsistncE
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    " I'm not sure if I'll be able to run it well enough to make it look pretty like in the trailers, so I hope a demo comes out or else I'll have to download it to test it out first. Don't have the $45 to drop haphazardly. "
    ...then first find another $300 to drop on a new video card. :) "
    I have a Q6600, so a pretty old quad core, along with XP, 2 GB of ram and a 9800GX2. To date I've been able to max out most every game (at least all the ones I care about) but the witcher 2 looks like it's going to put a little more strain on my system than I'm used to. Since I'm a student I really don't have the cash to opt for a system overhaul.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @RsistncE said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    ...then first find another $300 to drop on a new video card. :) "
    I have a Q6600, so a pretty old quad core, along with XP, 2 GB of ram and a 9800GX2. To date I've been able to max out most every game (at least all the ones I care about) but the witcher 2 looks like it's going to put a little more strain on my system than I'm used to. Since I'm a student I really don't have the cash to opt for a system overhaul. "
    Yeah, I was kidding.  I'd wait for a demo, as well.
    abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By abdo
    @RsistncE: That's something I notice in European-developed PC games: they usually have quite high requirements. Games like the first Witcher, Crysis, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series...
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By valrog
    @WinterSnowblind:  Can you post the contents of the Collector's Edition? Is that an actual book? I need to get this. Yeah, I don't want the bust, either.
    Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Shabs
    @Adamsons said:
    " Steam > Retail > Other digital distribution  My preference anyway - Ive used things like impulse and EA to buy games before, but its just a pain in the balls when you have multiple digital distribution clients to juggle. "
    No client, no DRM. That's GOG's selling point.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RsistncE
    @abdo said:
    " @RsistncE: That's something I notice in European-developed PC games: they usually have quite high requirements. Games like the first Witcher, Crysis, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series... "
    Yeah I know, it's pretty funny because European developers also seem to put out the most PC centric titles. So maybe this is all a good thing? haha.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @valrog said:

" @WinterSnowblind:  Can you post the contents of the Collector's Edition? Is that an actual book? I need to get this. Yeah, I don't want the bust, either. "

It's all up on the official website and other places now, but if you still haven't seen it:
    •  Making-of DVD
    • Official Soundtrack
    • World Map
    • Art Book
    • Geralt Sculpture
    • Temerian Coin
    • Dice Set
    • 3 Stickers
    • Playing Cards and Rulebook
    • Cursed Coin and Pamphlet
    • Papercraft figures

It also comes with different downloadable content, depending on where you buy it from and there's also a slightly less expensive version that doesn't come with so much stuff.
    Pretty cool in general, but I'd have been much happier to sacrifice the head sculpt for one of those Witcher medallions the Polish got with the first game.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ch3burashka

I do not appreciate GoG doing this. If they want to launch a second service, Good New Games, by all means, but I want GoG to stay as purely old-school as possible. Besides, there's a shit ton of old games they still haven't added, and they've been slow at doing so anyways.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By abdo
    @CH3BURASHKA: They're still having problems with licensing some old games, since quite a few old companies have died and the ownership of games isn't really clear. But if there's an old PC game out there they will eventually bring it.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#33  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    " I do not appreciate GoG doing this. If they want to launch a second service, Good New Games, by all means, but I want GoG to stay as purely old-school as possible. Besides, there's a shit ton of old games they still haven't added, and they've been slow at doing so anyways. "
    King's Bounty is on GOG. It was released only two years ago. If we want to be technical about it, they've already soiled themselves.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By valrog
    @WinterSnowblind:  Sweet. Yeah, I totally agree with the replacing the bust with the Witcher medallion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.