Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

I'm So Excited For Blood & Wine DLC and It's Weird

Stevoman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

After The Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone DLC I feel like every other dev needs to step it up. Even for games I absolutely love to bits, by the time single player dlc comes out months later I'm rarely interested enough to give it a go or disappointed by it. Hearts of Stone literally felt like a stand alone game that could go toe to toe with most 60 dollar games. Crazy thing is this Blood and Wine dlc is supposed to be much more substantial and now i'm sitting here anticipating an add on as if it is a brand new AAA game and I just find it weird that no other games have been able to do this for me. CDPR is doing things right and I hope some other Devs follow suit!

Now I just want to pose the question to you guys: What are your favorite dlc's you have ever played or which ones have disappointed you the most? Or fanboy/fangirl about the new Witcher dlc with me!

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ivdamke

My favourite DLC would possibly be Hearts of Stone, but The Ballad of Gay Tony for GTAIV and Old World Blues for Fallout: New Vegas were also fantastic editions to the their respective games. They were all substantial in content, had interesting stories and characters and brought in new mechanics that fit into the main games framework nicely.

As for most disappointed it would pretty much be any DLC's that I've played that came from Bioware excluding The Citadel. They're all around 45mins tops, don't add anything new mechanically and either consist of important story content that was cut out for the sake of marketing or totally superfluous 'premium' shops that break the balance of the game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By csl316

Fear 2 had a fucking great DLC thing called Reborn. It was basically a greatest hits version of the campaign, which was no slouch. Cool stuff hitting you every few minutes.

And if we're talking expansions, I can't think of anything better than Brood War. It made Starcraft reach its full potential and going back to the vanilla version just seems wrong. Brood War completed that game.

Witcher 3 is great, this will be great, so I'm spacing it out so I can soak in the greatness for years.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@baronsamedi: Oh man, the ballad of gay tony was so good. It went in enough directions to practically feel like it's own game. Great characters too.

Anyone know if Blood and Wine is supposed to be the last DLC?

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claybrez: Yeah, it's the last DLC and, as far as we and CD Projekt Red know, the last Witcher game/content for the foreseeable future.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As for most disappointed it would pretty much be any DLC's that I've played that came from Bioware excluding The Citadel. They're all around 45mins tops, don't add anything new mechanically and either consist of important story content that was cut out for the sake of marketing or totally superfluous 'premium' shops that break the balance of the game.

You've clearly not played much of the Dragon Age DLC, because those complaints don't really apply. I agree much of the Mass Effect DLC was very short for the price (though I'd argue the quality is still good for some of them). However, the Dragon Age DLC has been more substantial than the stuff Bioware has done with Mass Effect. The 3 DLCs for Inquistion total like 25 hours of content between them, and Trespasser might be the best epilogue style DLC for any game I've played (granted I am heavily invested in the DA fiction).

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll:I've played every DLC for both Origins and 2 excluding the major Awakening expansion for Origins and they all had the exact same issues as Mass Effect DLC. I can't speak for Inquisition because after DA:O, 2, ME1, 2 and 3 all having average to bad DLC (excluding Citadel) I refused to even give Bioware a chance. Especially after Inquisitions main game was rather mediocre and honestly less interesting than 2 if you could believe it.

The other thing being in my region each one of those 3 DLC's for Inquisition costs $25 each. If I'm paying $75 for 25 hours in total then that's fucking awful for my money. Compare that to TW3's 12 hour Hearts of Stone that was $8 and the up coming Blood and Wine which is supposedly 20 hours for $18. Granted I'll give you no one else is doing price to content ratio like TW3 but Inquisition being a middling game in the first place really didn't help with my interest levels on its DLC.

@claybrez: Yea Blood and Wine is the last DLC then they're pretty much all hands on deck for Cyberpunk 2077.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll:I've played every DLC for both Origins and 2 excluding the major Awakening expansion for Origins and they all had the exact same issues as Mass Effect DLC. I can't speak for Inquisition because after DA:O, 2, ME1, 2 and 3 all having average to bad DLC (excluding Citadel) I refused to even give Bioware a chance. Especially after Inquisitions main game was rather mediocre and honestly less interesting than 2 if you could believe it.

The other thing being in my region each one of those 3 DLC's for Inquisition costs $25 each. If I'm paying $75 for 25 hours in total then that's fucking awful for my money. Compare that to TW3's 12 hour Hearts of Stone that was $8 and the up coming Blood and Wine which is supposedly 20 hours for $18. Granted I'll give you no one else is doing price to content ratio like TW3 but Inquisition being a middling game in the first place really didn't help with my interest levels on its DLC.

Fair enough, though I find it weird that you'd play all the bad DLC for Orgins and not Awakening which, while only like 15 hours, was pretty great. Also, the DA2 DLCs are like 3-4 hours each (and both are quite good IMO), and I didn't point it out earlier but none of the Mass Effect DLC is 45 minutes. The shortest they get is like 1 hour and some of them are in the 2-3 hour range. Still, not great value, but I think something like Lair of the Shadow Broker is one of the best 90 minute experiences Bioware has ever done, DLC or otherwise.

I understand there is a value assessment to be made when deciding to buy DLC, but as with games in general I tend to think evaluating something largely on how long it takes to complete is a bad way to determine quality. Bioware has had a very mixed track record with DLC for Dragon Age and Mass Effect, and I'll never defend some of the worst ones they've done, but I also think some of the best moments in both series have been in the DLC.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

Fear 2 had a fucking great DLC thing called Reborn. It was basically a greatest hits version of the campaign, which was no slouch. Cool stuff hitting you every few minutes.

I am glad I'm not the only person who played that. I remember really liking that too.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rethla
    @ll_exile_ll said:
    @baronsamedi said:

Fair enough, though I find it weird that you'd play all the bad DLC for Orgins and not Awakening which, while only like 15 hours, was pretty great. Also, the DA2 DLCs are like 3-4 hours each (and both are quite good IMO), and I didn't point it out earlier but none of the Mass Effect DLC is 45 minutes. The shortest they get is like 1 hour and some of them are in the 2-3 hour range. Still, not great value, but I think something like Lair of the Shadow Broker is one of the best 90 minute experiences Bioware has ever done, DLC or otherwise.

I understand there is a value assessment to be made when deciding to buy DLC, but as with games in general I tend to think evaluating something largely on how long it takes to complete is a bad way to determine quality. Bioware has had a very mixed track record with DLC for Dragon Age and Mass Effect, and I'll never defend some of the worst ones they've done, but I also think some of the best moments in both series have been in the DLC.

Well i think theres a difference between DLC and an expansion. DLC is just a quick moneygrab with barebone content mostly left over from the development of the main game. (the legend goes that its what the content creators do on their spare time when the programmers are crunching bugs for release but i have never bought that marketing bullshit). An expansion is basicly a new game but they are taking a development shortcut by not making a game from the ground up and use and expand on what they already got.

All the Witcher games has had bad and barebone DLC just like Bioware games but CDPR has been nice enough to not charge for it.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:
    @ll_exile_ll said:
    @baronsamedi said:

Well i think theres a difference between DLC and an expansion. DLC is just a quick moneygrab with barebone content mostly left over from the development of the main game. (the legend goes that its what the content creators do on their spare time when the programmers are crunching bugs for release but i have never bought that marketing bullshit). An expansion is basicly a new game but they are taking a development shortcut by not making a game from the ground up and use and expand on what they already got.

All the Witcher games has had bad and barebone DLC just like Bioware games but CDPR has been nice enough to not charge for it.

That's a very broad generalization that is not accurate anywhere near 100% of the time. There are plenty of examples of good DLC that is much more than "a quick moneygrab with barebones content mostly left over from development of the main game." Obviously that does occur, but to say that's what DLC is as if it's always or even usually the case is grossly inaccurate.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yep, really looking forward to seeing this series off in style, no doubt we will not see another outing for at least 5 years.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Well it is highly accurate when talking about CDPR and Bioware. And it is accurate in that 99% of all DLC is just that. Developers that call it expansions usually have more substantial offerings.

Im not saying there are no good DLC becouse there absolutely is.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By edgaras1103

So reviews are coming out. Seems very good based on the scores . Shame GB does not give two shits about witcher.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Artorias of the Abyss for DS1 and The Old Hunters for Bloodborne. Easily the best DLC ever made.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rethla

@edgaras1103: Thats not true. Maybe the westcoast has taking a favor for shitting on the game but its mainly due to them not being able to spend more than 10hours on a game thats not selling hats.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgaras1103: I'm sure Vinny will stream some of the DLC, which will be great.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: Yeah, but Vinny likes majority of games, even bad ones for him have something positive. Anyway I think I am not gonna use fast travel and minimap in B$W, just to savour every moment.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@golguin: Absolutely. Old Hunters pretty much cemented Bloodborne as one of the best games ever. It was good before, but Old Hunters put it over the top.

So reviews are coming out. Seems very good based on the scores . Shame GB does not give two shits about witcher.

At this point, GB doesn't give two shits about anything I like.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Both of these expansions look incredible. My problem is I never want The Witcher 3 to end so I am continuing to take my sweet time with the main game.

Excited to see Vinny play some of it as he is the only one who seems to realise how good this game is.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, guess I ought to make some progress in my NG+ this weekend. At least get to the level requirement for the new DLC.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I stopped at 50 hours. Now I've picked the game back up and I've played another 10. I'm level 18 and made it to Skellige. Running around fifteen mods. It's great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5
    deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna be excited, I have no doubt that the game isn't teeming with great, deep characters, well-written dialogue and an intriguing plot but god damn, I just really don't want to PLAY more of The Witcher 3 again. Even on Death March, I found that towards the midpoint of the game, the combat became very easy and was more of a tedious chore than actually being fun or challenging, just me dodging to the side and hammering on the light attack until whatever enemy fell. I also didn't really like how most of the quest design involved you investigating an area with your witcher sense, scouring the ground, and following a red gas trail.

I'm sure there's plenty of mods that you could install to shake-up and freshen the experience, but unfortunately I'm on the PS4. I think I might just wait some time until playing The Witcher 3 again doesn't sound completely unappealing.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fuzzy_dunlop: Those are all valid claims but hearts of stone really makes big improvements on those parts and i expect Blood and wine to do even more. CDPR is aware and creative.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patch 1.20 changelog is available here for those interested.

LOTS of really great improvements to UI in here. Unfortunately, it won't drop until probably Monday shortly before B&W unlocks according to Momot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.