Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

The Blacksmith in Blackbough?

Avatar image for phantomgardener
    PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When I first got to Blackbough I had no problem interacting with the blacksmith there. But now, all of the sudden, I can't talk to him anymore. I've tried meditating, I've tried fast traveling between places and gone back to him, and ofc I've tried restarting the game, but nothing works, and I can't remember doing a quest that would have upset him either. Have anyone else experienced this?

Playing on the PS4 btw.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@phantomgardener: I'm experiencing the exact same thing (on Xbox One), and it's incredibly frustrating because there's only one other blacksmith I've found in Velen/Novigrad and his skill level isn't high enough to craft the weapons I want - I'm not sure if the guy in Blackbough is either but I can't even talk to him to see.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I've had a few issues with this, but not to the severity you're experiencing. If he doesn't start working anytime soon, there are a couple blacksmiths in Novigrad with pretty good skill level.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is also one in a Nilfgardian garrison, though I think it wanders away as soon as the leader gives you the details for the contract in Byways.

BTW. It happened to me too. It might be a bug, but actually the guy might have a problem with how you dealt with the "Wild at Heart" secondary quest (or a contract, I forget). Have you also refused the bribe from the sister? If you did, I think it invariably must end with the death of the warewolf or both him and the sister. It was only him for me and after the fight you can find her in the hut crying. I mention this because the problem with the blacksmith in my case occured some time after I finished that quest. It might suggest that it took her a while to get home and tell the story (her version at least) to her friends.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have the same bug, saving next to him and reloading seems to work for me.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah seems to be (at least) a console bug. I usually got him to talk by just meditating until about noon. I've since stopped going to him as it's incredibly annoying.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By poisonjam7

@qrdl: crap, I just did what you mentioned there. He isn't bugged for me yet, but it'll be interesting to see if your theory is right and I won't be able to talk to him.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've run into this with many smiths and merchants. One guy most recently was someone I freed from a slavers. Went back to his village and I can't talk to him now. It seems to be random. If I came back later after completing a quest, some times I can interact with them again, sometimes I can't.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@qrdl said:

There is also one in a Nilfgardian garrison, though I think it wanders away as soon as the leader gives you the details for the contract in Byways.

BTW. It happened to me too. It might be a bug, but actually the guy might have a problem with how you dealt with the "Wild at Heart" secondary quest (or a contract, I forget). Have you also refused the bribe from the sister? If you did, I think it invariably must end with the death of the warewolf or both him and the sister. It was only him for me and after the fight you can find her in the hut crying. I mention this because the problem with the blacksmith in my case occured some time after I finished that quest. It might suggest that it took her a while to get home and tell the story (her version at least) to her friends.

I think your theory is right. I can't talk to him anymore and the lady isn't in the Hunter's Lodge crying anymore. There were some guys outside her house in Blackbough saying how she was gone now and that it's probably for the best so she can be with her sister, which I took to mean she killed herself. I'd like believe they wouldn't design a quest that complete blocks off all access to an armorer NPC in a game where there are very few of them to begin with; and with no warning whatsoever. I'd like to believe this is a bug, but I'm not holding my breath.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@qrdl said:

I think your theory is right. I can't talk to him anymore and the lady isn't in the Hunter's Lodge crying anymore. There were some guys outside her house in Blackbough saying how she was gone now and that it's probably for the best so she can be with her sister, which I took to mean she killed herself. I'd like believe they wouldn't design a quest that complete blocks off all access to an armorer NPC in a game where there are very few of them to begin with; and with no warning whatsoever. I'd like to believe this is a bug, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've had armorers and blacksmiths refuse to talk. Meditating always fixed the issue. This is on the PS4. I've heard similar things other places and resetting the game helped them out.

As for the Wild at Heart quest I completed it in the way you mentioned and the armorer wouldn't talk. I mediated for 2 hours and he talked again. Lots of dialogue stuff seems bugged.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@qrdl said:

If it's intentional, it would be nice if he had a clear one-sentence response to you trying to talk to him instead of just the lack of button prompt. That other amateur blacksmithis is in Oreton (right across the water north from Fake Isle) and he's actually accesible at any time but doesn't show up on the main map (maybe a glitch as well).

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It definitely isn't intentional because I have had the same issue but sometimes he responds normally no problems. It is just a glitch that seems to effect all platforms.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I spent an hour tonight messing around and finally was able to get him to talk to me again. Only then realize he couldn't craft the swords I wanted. Fuck that guy.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

He consistently doesn't want to talk to me every time I show up. Though quicksaving in his face and reloading has always fixed it for me.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: Meditaing fixed him for me too. Annoying bug, but I'm glad it is a bug and not a stupidly designed quest by CDPR.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Whenever I've come up against similar problems, I've also found that popping in and out of Detective Witcher vision has a good chance of clearing things up and letting you interact with the person.

exploiteddna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By exploiteddna

He consistently doesn't want to talk to me every time I show up. Though quicksaving in his face and reloading has always fixed it for me.

thanks for this @tobbrobb -- meditating didnt work but quicksave and reload while standing next to him, that works. youre a life saver

(EDIT: v1.32 GOTY, PC, Steam)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@exploiteddna: Haha, I didn't expect a tip of mine to be read this far down the line. :D

Kinda funny, I played some Witcher 3 early this year and had to relearn this exact thing. Stupid trophy merchant.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.