Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Video interview with CDPR: Designing The Witcher 3

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OfficeGamer
    No Caption Provided

The Witcher facebook page just shared this gameinformer.com link http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/02/08/designing-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt.aspx

Sadly there's no option for embedding it, but it's 7 minutes long!

• "We've added an ingame tutorial system, but at the same timewe don't like those forced-on-the-player tutorials..."Gotta love these guys!
    • Moar sidequests. A lot more.
    • Much longer main story line
    • Three different epilogues (as opposed to Witcher 2's two versions of the same quest), based on your decisions
    • No scaling. Like Skyrim, the enemies have static difficulties, and there's a variety of enemies with their various degrees of difficulties. The more you progress the harder enemies you find
    • There was too much politics in Witcher 2. We'll keep those elements but they won't be the main story ark. More personal story, more freedom.
    • We want to boost the feeling of being a Witcher
    • The story will be more personal because we want to explain vague issues such as the Amnesia
    • This will be the last Geralt chapter because he's a tired old man!
    • Combat overhaul: Faster sword animations, swift targeting, combat camera, and more
    • We want to finish the trilogy with a big twist
    • "We love our fans, we read the forums alot, if there's something you want to appear in Witcher 3 just tell us!" DAMN!
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

Some nice info there.

You're a bit off about Skyrim however, it had a hybrid scaling system, in that there were a few enemies that were static (like the masked wraith dudes) but in reality the majority of Skyrim enemies were scaled to player level in tiers.

So i'm actually SUPER STOKED that Witcher 3 is going with static difficulty enemies like all the previous entries. Enemy scaling to player level is a design cop-out for those who can't balance their game properly and want to babysit the player, that shit needs to fucking die in a purple fire. This means I will be able to wander into an encounter that's really really hard, have a challenge, a change of pace, and the satisfaction of overcoming something you're not yet meant to normally. Or later on in the game being able to properly experience your power and how far you've come, by being badass and handily defeating things.

Faster combat animations are good. (and this is coming from someone who loved Witcher 2 combat anwyay)

Geralt getting old is the best shit ever. The badassery of a badass character is directly proportional to his/her age. If you're old and still a badass that's like 50 times as badass! There are not nearly enough older protagonists in games. Tho I suspect Geralt being a mutant will still be quite capable and virile ~.^ but now with a sic beard.

Really hope they don't overdo or rely too much on the "twist", but they have proven competent writers so far.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By ArtisanBreads

This game so far is bascially saying everything is more open, there's more of everything, and it's all going to be better.

I'm excited and optimistic but it sounds daunting.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

@ArtisanBreads:

Actually they are addressing some very specific things (and issues with the previous game) in that interview. Explaining some design choices, focus of the story, combat mechanics, etc

It's far from an "everything is bigger and better" interview. Probably the most honest and detailed one i've seen in years from any developer. Kind of surprised tbh.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pyrodactyl

Let's hope CDPR beats the recent trend of dissapointing third games in a trilogy. If a single studio can, I would bet my money on them.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Tennmuerti said:

@ArtisanBreads:

Actually they are addressing some very specific things (and issues with the previous game) in that interview. Explaining some design choices, focus of the story, combat mechanics, etc

It's far from an "everything is bigger and better" interview. Probably the most honest and detailed one i've seen in years from any developer. Kind of surprised tbh.

I watched it. I'm not saying they are bullshitting, everything they have detailed is basically, more of everything, improvements, and it's all open now. Which is daunting to imagine them pulling off but they are great developers so I'm optimistic.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Sounds like everything any developer ever has said about anything they've ever worked on.

The difference is that, so far, CDPR has delivered. Hopefully they do it again.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tennmuerti

@ArtisanBreads:

Ah my bad. I mistakenly interpreted you saying "daunting" as referring to the interview, rather then the making of the game, sorry.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By AuthenticM

I hope the next protagonist is female.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OfficeGamer

@Tennmuerti said:

You're a bit off about Skyrim however,

So i'm actually SUPER STOKED that Witcher 3 is going with static difficulty enemies like all the previous entries. This means I will be able to wander into an encounter that's really really hard, have a challenge, a change of pace, and the satisfaction of overcoming something you're not yet meant to normally. Or later on in the game being able to properly experience your power and how far you've come, by being badass and handily defeating things.

But that description is exactly how Skyrim plays! At the beginning the bears and Draugrs deathlord and giants and dragons are tough as nails, then as you rank up and gain experience you begin to notice that they fall faster under your steel. And the enemies that were a challenge at first become flies that drop straight upon contact.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

@OfficeGamer:

That's because giants are static levels, Draugir death lords are dynamic but only after a certain level, meaning they have a minimum lowest level which makes them tough at the start, dragons I disagree they are never hard in Skyrim as they are dynamically scaled to your level (starting dragon fight is a good example of that), the reason they become even easier because there is a scaling cap for them after which they stop getting tougher; the only exception to their toughness is ironically if you just hit the next scaling tier making them jump in difficulty. The funny thing is that because of scaling there are bears tougher then dragons in Skyrim at the start of the game. The problem is that whenever you go into a dungeon in Skyrim it will scale the enemies in there to you, meaning that it will make them easier or tougher in distribution, at low level you will never see a Draugir Deathlord outside of a scripted encounter, later on they are every third spawn in a dungeon. It can also be a problematic system if you over level your character by spreading your his too thin over too many skill trees, increasing the game's scaling challanges but not your own power. Fortunately all enemy types in Skyrim have a scaling cap after which they stop getting stronger.

That said Skyrim is probably the best level scaling done in a game to date (miles ahead of Oblivion), because of it being hybrid and because some of the enemies are static in strength, or have minimum or maximum scaling levels.

Anyway I was not saying Skyrim doesn't have any of that, only that you were mistaken about it being a static difficulty system. It's a mixture of the two systems.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.